PDA

View Full Version : Solo Tents

Whitey9457
02-12-2008, 13:27
I'm getting ready to purchase my first solo/backpacking tent and the two i'm focusing on are the North Face Solo 12 and the Eureka Spitfire UL...anyone have any thoughts on the two or recommendations (same price or less preferably). Thanks

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 13:29
Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow.

Kara
02-12-2008, 13:36
I have a Eureka Spitfire, but not the UL version, and I like it okay. I kinda wish I had a little bit larger free standing tent, but the Spitfire has done well with getting me started (especially with the price) until I figure out which one I'm really going to invest in.

partinj
02-12-2008, 13:37
Go with the Spitfire have mine up in the pouring rain not one drop got in the tent
great tent. Asd far as North Face they petty much turn in to a yuppie company . I got some zip off pants from them first week worn them seam start to come apart not first time i have bad thing form North Face but that is diff story.

hopefulhiker
02-12-2008, 13:39
Henry Shires Tarp tent Contrail

big_muddy
02-12-2008, 13:42
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

jersey joe
02-12-2008, 13:43
I can't comment on either tent specifically but I am a big fan of Eureka!

88BlueGT
02-12-2008, 13:44
My little brother did some research and put a thread up here about whether or not to get the spitfire or the spitfire UL and everyone basically told him to go with the regular spitfire. He ended up going with a Siera Designs Light Year instead. I think it was like one oz heavier but it was larger inside with a larger vestibule. Something like that........ not positive though.

wrongway_08
02-12-2008, 13:48
Henry Shires Tarp tent Contrail

X2 ..... great tent, lite and easy to set up.

taildragger
02-12-2008, 13:52
anything from 6 moon designs
anything from henry shires
MSR hubba if you can find it on sale
Sierra designs light year (good tent, very inexpensive, tried and tested design)

check out www.backpackgeartest.org for more opinions and reviews of tents

Mocs123
02-12-2008, 13:53
Have you looked at the MSR Hubba or the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1SL?

rafe
02-12-2008, 14:07
campsaver.com is having a 20% sale... which means you can get the Big Agnes SL1 for $200. That would be my choice. But the Eureka Spitfire is a decent tent at a decent price. I have many years of positive experiences with Eureka backpacking tents.

GratefulHike
02-12-2008, 14:50
I own the solo 12 and I am very happy with it. I got it from steep and cheap for less then $100 shipped. I agree north face has turned into quite the yuppie brand, but this tent has suited me perfect. I have used in in the pouring down rain and have stayed 99% dry. I have used in in temps around 20 degrees and have been very happy to have had a tent to stay warm. The set up of this tent is stupid easy only problem i have with it is it is not freestanding. I love getting to camp and having my camp unpacked and ready in 10 minutes while my buddies with a hammocks are still trying to find the best tree to hang from. I am short 5'7" so i am able to fit my pack in the tent with me under the bottom of my legs if I need to.

I can not say how it would last on a long trip as I only use it for 3 - 6 nights at a time, but I have had it for over a year and have used it for over 2 dozen nights.

My two cents....

cannonball
02-12-2008, 15:18
13 post and no hammock suggestions? The exorcism must have worked.

Montego
02-12-2008, 15:22
13 post and no hammock suggestions? The exorcism must have worked.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sick029.gif

kyhiker1
02-12-2008, 15:35
I have used the Eureka Spitfire(Not UL) extensively on section hikes and has performed quite well.Sets up easily,even in rain and has performed well in semi-strong winds.I would go for just a little more room though...

taildragger
02-12-2008, 15:43
another tent you might want to check out is the mountain hardwear sprite, or lightpath

hikerjohnd
02-12-2008, 15:57
I can not speak for TNF tents, but the only negative I have heard on the Spitfire UL is the foot area. The regular Spitfire (which I have) has the second pole at the foot that keeps the tent farther away from your feet. Without that second pole at the foot I understand that your feet rub the tent wall all night.

mambo_tango
02-12-2008, 16:09
i hiked half the trail with my Spitfire and i had no problems with it. i know of at least two people who used north face solo tents on the trail and they HATED them. the condensation was so bad that their gear would be wet in the morning and soaked when it rained.

Tinker
02-12-2008, 16:18
Just in case you haven't noticed, REI has the Quarter Dome solo tent for under $200.00. Freestanding and around 3 lbs, I think. No problems with returns, either. If you don't like it, send it back for a refund or exchange. (Bet you can't guess I used to work there :) ).

Tinker
02-12-2008, 16:25
http://www.rei.com/product/761891

Quarter dome.

(Or a hammock :p).
There! I said it! :)

Newb
02-12-2008, 16:25
I have the SF UL and like it. I've never weathered a rainstorm while IN it, but I did have it up at Trail Days last year and it survived a downpour while I was at Dot's. Everything was dry when I got back.

I find it's sometimes difficult to get it perfectly taut on all ropes, but that doesn't effect the performance. It will never look like the picture on the advertisement.

Of course, I'm the same guy that also uses a 25.00 Texsport Knollwood (http://texsport.com/PDF%20Break-Down/2007/Tents%20&%20Tent%20Access.pdf)(liberally treated with seam sealer and spray on water repellent) and Like it just fine. So what do I know?

John Klein
02-12-2008, 18:55
another tent you might want to check out is the mountain hardwear sprite, or lightpath
I just bought the Sprite. So far I've only been able to use the fastpitch option which was really roomy.

Whitey9457
02-12-2008, 19:01
grrrr so many options i'm just gonna have to pick one from this list... big agnes seedhous sl is what i think it'll be but the spitfire and the sprite are up there too... Thank you everyone for your help and opinions i appreciate it

Bare Bear
02-12-2008, 19:55
Since NorthFace changed owners a few years back they have gone in the pits as far as any quality or service after the sale. Avoid NorthFace.
Personally I used a MSR Zoid (make sure it is the one you can sit up in not the earlier model) and it was fine....but if I had it to do over I would go with the Big Anges for about the same weight, bigger.

dmb658
02-12-2008, 19:55
MSR hubba if you can find it on sale

At rei we had this tent on sale for about 90$,
both the hubba hubba and mutha hubba were on super clearance as well.

if i hadn't already gotten my 6 moon designs tent, i would have boughten it..

scout005
02-12-2008, 20:57
Check out Big Sky Evolution 1 and 2 person. Just got mine. It took 3 weeks to get it. Looks like the delivery problems they had are resolved.

gldwings1
02-12-2008, 22:30
Eureka makes a great product for the price.

deadhorsejoe
02-12-2008, 23:43
I have used the regular Spitfire for a couple of years now and like it. I wish it had a little more room inside and a little larger vestibule but for the money it is hard to beat. It has great head room but is a bit tight along the floor. Plenty big for your regular pad and bag but not much else. You can put stuff at your head and feet and small amounts on either side. A small pack and your boots can be put in the vestibules. The small vestibule on the right side of the tent (as you lay on your back) cannot be reached from inside of the tent. I have not used or seen the Spitfire UL but read that it is a bit short and your feet can touch the tent wall at the lower end. The regular spitfire is a two hoop tent while the spitfire UL is a one hoop tent.

tjd
02-12-2008, 23:50
I recently purchased a Hilleberg Soulo (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-152/solo-tent%2C-expedition%2C-four-dsh-season%2C/Detail.bok) all season, 1 person tent.

http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1764795/catalog/SouloRed-Web.jpg
I used it last weekend in the Glastenbury Wilderness a quarter mile off the AT/LT in a big snow dump all weekend :D

Heater
02-13-2008, 00:18
I recently purchased a Hilleberg Soulo (http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-152/solo-tent%2C-expedition%2C-four-dsh-season%2C/Detail.bok) all season, 1 person tent.

http://estore.websitepros.com/stores/1764795/catalog/SouloRed-Web.jpg
I used it last weekend in the Glastenbury Wilderness a quarter mile off the AT/LT in a big snow dump all weekend :D

How long does it take and ow easy to pitch?

88BlueGT
02-13-2008, 00:19
^^^ Love the tent but dont like the weight... it is a 4 season tent though.

- You can consider the Hilleberg Atko.
- You can also look into Black Diamond.

Heater
02-13-2008, 00:30
^^^ Love the tent but dont like the weight... it is a 4 season tent though.

- You can consider the Hilleberg Atko.
- You can also look into Black Diamond.

Betchya it's toasty warm. A little over 4 lbs though. Good Winter tent.

Lion King
02-13-2008, 00:33
I'm getting ready to purchase my first solo/backpacking tent and the two i'm focusing on are the North Face Solo 12 and the Eureka Spitfire UL...anyone have any thoughts on the two or recommendations (same price or less preferably). Thanks

MSR HUBBA cant be beat!!!!!!!!!!!!

double wall, less then 3 pounds, free standing, warm, great bug net allows for star viewing on cool rainless nights...best tent ever.

gungho
02-13-2008, 08:55
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
I am thinking about purchasing this tent.:-? I don't currently own a solo,because my wife and I have always planned our backpacking trips together. But,now that is fixing to change and now comes the dilema?

We are looking for something light and that withstand the weather you will encounter on the trail.

cannonball
02-13-2008, 09:11
It is a great shelter. You may want to consider a lunar duo. It is a 2 person set up but you could use it solo as it is so light weight. Of course that only if you can tolerate great protection from the elements, lots of room, and easy set up.

notorius tic
02-13-2008, 09:33
I through with the solo 12 last year an the only problem i had is on Silers Bald it was something like 12 degrees an with my 20 degree bag i got hell of condisation. Other than that i stayed dry in the rain. But after 7mnths on the trail it is in bad shape? Seams all need to be redune... Im 5ft 10 an i put my bag at the bottom an proped my feet up on it.

mosquito ninja
02-13-2008, 09:49
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/images/productImages/OU9400m.jpg

mountain hardware viperine 2
4pds. 14oz.s to heavy?

rafe
02-13-2008, 10:35
<photo deleted>

mountain hardware viperine 2
4pds. 14oz.s to heavy?

IMO, yes. Most solo backpacking tents are around 3 lbs. Tarptent Rainbow is 2 lbs. Big Agnes SL1 is about 2 lbs. 6 oz.

Tipi Walter
02-13-2008, 11:01
First off, for a solo tent I'd look for something roomy enough to be comfortable if caught tentbound for several days in a storm. Something around 30 sq feet for starters. And it must have enough head room to sit up on a thermarest without constantly hitting your head.

Second, I would not get any tent that has bug netting for the inner canopy(unsealable netting that is), as in a blizzard and cold winds it offers no protection. Ergo, a tent floor is a must.

Third, I'd be sure to get something that is long enough with no steep sloping walls that will touch my sleeping bag foot and get it moist. Many solo tents rub up against the bag foot resulting in a wet bag.

Fourth, I would stay away from North Face and for the most part avoid Mt Hardwear's tents and especially their "improved" Atlas pole system.

The Hilleberg Soulo is probably a good tent, I have the Hilleberg Staika and use it a lot and like it, but the Soulo and the Akto are just too small for me. Tent living sometimes requires spending 4 or 5 days inside during a nasty cold blizzard, something to consider when going with a tiny tent.

Most recommendations here are for 3 season tents, i.e. the Hubba tent, but I would never get a tent that doesn't have the ability to seal up all bug netting with canopy material. If you never plan on going out in the winter or camping in strong winds, then the bug screen tents will work, but why limit yourself?

mudhead
02-13-2008, 11:08
grrrr so many options i'm just gonna have to pick one from this list... big agnes seedhous sl is what i think it'll be but the spitfire and the sprite are up there too... Thank you everyone for your help and opinions i appreciate it

Take the time to find several tents you can crawl in.

I have a thing for junky/funky zippers. Can't tell that without hands-on.

I have yet to find the perfect tent.

mosquito ninja
02-13-2008, 11:20
cool thank you. had it for luxury camping, o well.

from the thread it looks like rainbow tent tarp, six monn designs, or msr hubba.

Whitey9457
02-13-2008, 13:08
Does anyone have any thoughts on the L.L.Bean MicroLight solo tent?

tjd
02-13-2008, 13:24
How long does it take and ow easy to pitch?

5 minutes to pitch - 3 poles and clips to attach out tent to the poles.
Easily done while wearing mittens or gloves. I ended with with a mitten on one hand and a glove on the other for putting it up...

taildragger
02-13-2008, 13:42
Fourth, I would stay away from North Face and for the most part avoid Mt Hardwear's tents and especially their "improved" Atlas pole system.

Tipi, whats wrong with the Mountain Hardware tents? Mine did alright with over 12" of wet snow on it (hammerhead 2) and, little heavy but the price seemed decent for a 2 man tent that I could use cool wet snow.

Birdstar07
02-13-2008, 13:44
I had the North face on part of my Thru hike last year and it was the worst tent I've ever owned!!!! It was like sleeping in a Zip Lock bag is the best way to explain it! Every morning I'd have to wip down the interior walls and take all my stuff out and dry my gear and tent out! Pain the *ss!! It mite be light, But not worth it. I ended up getting the Big Agnes Seedhoude SL1 which weights the same as the North Face Solo 12 and is double wall tent that is awesome! Check out Campsaver.com!!

rafe
02-13-2008, 14:16
I ended up getting the Big Agnes Seedhoude SL1 which weights the same as the North Face Solo 12 and is double wall tent that is awesome! Check out Campsaver.com!!

FWIW, campsaver is having a 20% off sale, so you can get the SL1 for $200. I've been very tempted, myself... but I think my wife might question the need for yet-another backpacking tent. ;)

dgrimes21
02-13-2008, 14:37
Big Agnus Seedhouse or MSR Hubba is the way to go.

LIhikers
02-13-2008, 17:58
Don't forget to consider the Tarptent Rainbow as a solo tent.

Whitey9457
02-13-2008, 18:16
I decided I didn't like the Rainbow for some reason...I may be wrong but doesn't the end of it close with velcro instead of a zipper?

rafe
02-13-2008, 18:21
I decided I didn't like the Rainbow for some reason...I may be wrong but doesn't the end of it close with velcro instead of a zipper?

I heard or read somewhere that the original Velcro closure (for the vestibule) was replaced by a zipper in the newest models. Good move, IMO. The Velcro seemed a bit chintzy, though I can see where the zipper might have other problems.

envirodiver
02-13-2008, 18:30
I'm looking at getting a new tent also, for solo camping. I'm planning on getting a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL. The dillema that I have worked myself into is do I want the SL 1 or the SL 2?

The SL1 is 22 sq. ft + 5 vestibule, 2lb 13 oz (pkg wt)
The SL2 is 28 sq. ft + 8 vestibule, 3 lb 6 oz (pkg. wt)

I really like the fact that the seedhouse is free standing. After setting up and crawling inside the SL1, it's a tight fit. Enough room to sleep in, but I would not want to spend extended amounts of time in it and there is also not room to put much if any gear inside with you in the case of bad weather. The SL2 offers more room inside the tent a larger vestibule and weighs 9 oz more. Then I could also use it as a 2 person tent when someone goes with me. Tight for 2 but possible. There is also a cost difference. But, that is not the deciding factor.

I'm going to mull this over for a while, but must say that I'm leaning toward the SL2 and the extra room and just sucking it up to carry the extra 1/2 lb.

Tipi Walter
02-13-2008, 18:31
Tipi, whats wrong with the Mountain Hardware tents? Mine did alright with over 12" of wet snow on it (hammerhead 2) and, little heavy but the price seemed decent for a 2 man tent that I could use cool wet snow.

I own several Mt Hardwear tents, Hammerhead 3, Muir Trail(used extensively), Light Wedge 2, Mountain Jet. My beef comes with the Atlas pole improvements, making for lighter poles but in my opinion fragile and poorly engineered. Had one snap on me with no wind or stress, etc.

The Muir Trail tent(frog style 3 season conv.)got me thru some hellish storms and winds but has since been discontinued in their product line, another big beef I have with the company. Why make something that works and dump it? Not something Hilleberg, Stephenson, Bibler or Integral Designs would do. But not sticking with a certain tent model is a common practice for Mt Hardwear and North Face, hence my low opinion of them.

After using my Hilleberg for many backpacking trips, I'd have to say the usual coatings and materials used in most other tents is below par and shoddy. For instance, floor coatings. Most tent floors will start absorbing water from the ground after about one year of use whereas the Hilleberg line uses a triple urethane coating and a heavier denier fabric and as of yet I've haven't seen any leakage.

Another criticism of the lightweight tents: Poor long term durability. Using lighter materials results in shorter tent life. And nowadays, backpackers are trading in tent longevity for lighter pack weight. In the long run this costs the hiker more.

rafe
02-13-2008, 19:06
Another criticism of the lightweight tents: Poor long term durability. Using lighter materials results in shorter tent life. And nowadays, backpackers are trading in tent longevity for lighter pack weight. In the long run this costs the hiker more.

Probably true, but a trade-off that most thru-hikers make gladly. Your perspective is from someone who lives in the woods long-term. That's not the typical thru-hiker's perspective. It needs to last from Springer to Katahdin, that's all.

I'm not making a value judgment, just pointing out the trade-offs and the differing design goals. This trade-off can be observed in all manner of hiking gear -- packs, boots, sleeping bags, water bottles, you name it.

rafe
02-13-2008, 19:10
I really like the fact that the seedhouse is free standing. After setting up and crawling inside the SL1, it's a tight fit. Enough room to sleep in, but I would not want to spend extended amounts of time in it...

You might want to check out the Tarptent Rainbow. It's the roomiest -- and lightest -- "one person" backpacking tent I've ever used. It's palatial. But it is, in the end, a single-walled tent...

Panzer1
02-14-2008, 02:19
I got the Black Diamond lighthouse. it weights 3 pounds 3 ounces with the standard poles. You can get that down to 3 pounds even if you want to pay extra for carbon fiber poles.
Free standing.
plenty of space and head room. 30.8 square feet. size 87 x 51 x 43 in
Big enough to easily change clothes in.
Long enough for tall people. (there's a shorter version for people under 6 feet tall called the firstlight)
$389 from blackdiamond without vestibule which I think you don't need. Free shipping.
You can sometimes find them a little cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/lighthouse.php

Panzer

http://www.bdel.com/images/gear/s07/810155_Lighthouse.jpg

BackTrack1
02-14-2008, 08:11
MSR Hubba,
I got an 07' left over w/ the footprint on sale shipped to my house for $167.00, thats a really good deal if you can find one, i got mine at REI but i think i may have gotten there last one , I think normaly it would have been around $250.00 for both, I havent used it yet , but ive done alot of reserch on tents and talked w/ people i seen useing them on the AT last yr and they all had nothing bad to say about it(the hubba)

good luck, it sucks trying to figure out what to buy with so many friggen choices, to bad you couldnt try them out for a week first then decide, although if you shop at EMS, they have a good return policy, if you dont like it they will take it back as long as its clean and not damaged.

Tinker
02-14-2008, 12:21
Another attempt to pitch the REI Quarter Dome.
I had an exact copy of the BA SL2 which came from Dick's Sporting Goods. The vestibule is small and lower than the highest part of the tent. The NEW Quarter Dome's vestibule goes to the peak in the CENTER of the tent, which makes the most of the vestibule AND tent "floor" space (I know, the vestibule doesn't have a floor). The new pole configuration should minimize or eliminate water getting into the tent (a problem with the BA design). These obversations are based on design only. I can't say anything about the quality of either tent.

Tinker
02-14-2008, 12:44
Not a tent, actually, but you could throw a tarp over it. This is the type of shelter I'd be using in the warmer months if I wasn't a Hanger.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=87&osCsid=f43718237d06cab5a4a2140439335a92

It's nice to have a separate tarp in case you want to stop in the rain for lunch and wring things out.

envirodiver
02-14-2008, 12:49
You might want to check out the Tarptent Rainbow. It's the roomiest -- and lightest -- "one person" backpacking tent I've ever used. It's palatial. But it is, in the end, a single-walled tent...

Thanks I'll check into it, but my limited experience with single wall tents has not been good. My experience is with a Go Light Hut 1 and the condensation was very bad, but worse was that the shape of the shelter made it very difficult to keep from touching the wet walls. Learning experience.

I'm always open to new ideas though.

88BlueGT
02-14-2008, 16:54
I had the North face on part of my Thru hike last year and it was the worst tent I've ever owned!!!! It was like sleeping in a Zip Lock bag is the best way to explain it! Every morning I'd have to wip down the interior walls and take all my stuff out and dry my gear and tent out! Pain the *ss!! It mite be light, But not worth it. I ended up getting the Big Agnes Seedhoude SL1 which weights the same as the North Face Solo 12 and is double wall tent that is awesome! Check out Campsaver.com!!

My buddy also has a North Face 2 man and he has had condensation problems with it. I took it out one day and when I woke up my arm was in almost a puddle of water that was flowing down the interior walls.

88BlueGT
02-14-2008, 17:02
Anyone have true weight of a SL2?

rafe
02-14-2008, 18:08
Thanks I'll check into it, but my limited experience with single wall tents has not been good. My experience is with a Go Light Hut 1 and the condensation was very bad, but worse was that the shape of the shelter made it very difficult to keep from touching the wet walls. Learning experience.

I'm always open to new ideas though.

The Rainbow has very steep sides and lots of headroom, so that helps. The only issues I had with condensation were a) during heavy rain, and b) on cool nights with the tent set up on a lawn or in a meadow.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go back to a double-walled tent like the Big Agnes SL1. Not quite as roomy as the Rainbow, and about 6 oz. heavier.

envirodiver
02-14-2008, 18:27
Anyone have true weight of a SL2?

listed Pkg weight is 3lb 6 oz. Actual weight is usually pretty close to that. That includes tent, fly, poles, stakes, stuff sacks.

Dogwood
02-14-2008, 18:58
Whitney9457, whatever tent U do decide on, I highly recommend U see it pitched first before making a final decision on purchase. Crawl inside it, lay down, pitch it yourself, see how it packs, examine the ease of entry/exit, qualty of materials and construction, examine the zippers and seams(r they easy to operate and well constructed) , how well constructed R the stake tie outs, what is the quality of the stakes and stuff sacks, how well does it ventilate, does it meet the requirements of your hiking style and hike - these r some of the things U should look at and be asking yourself when deciding on that home-away-from-home.

88BlueGT
02-14-2008, 19:04
listed Pkg weight is 3lb 6 oz. Actual weight is usually pretty close to that. That includes tent, fly, poles, stakes, stuff sacks.

Thanks alot.

And BTW PANZER, listed area space on backcountry for the lighthouse is 33.1. Is this s newer model or something? where did you get your specs from? How do you like the EPIC material of your tent? I am considering between a few tents and the Lighthouse, hilight, SL2 and Atko are on my list.

slow
02-14-2008, 22:30

S.M.D. DUO....3lb packed and that is with cf poles ,stakes,line,stuff sac.
It is huge and total waterproof.

NOBODY in the market has this package.

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 22:41
S.M.D. DUO....3lb packed and that is with cf poles ,stakes,line,stuff sac.
It is huge and total waterproof.

NOBODY in the market has this package.

=================================

I'm a big Six Moon Design advocate ...but the Lunar Duo is a tad on the large side if you're talking "Solo" shelters.

I would suggest the Lunar Solo-e or the Wild Oasis, also from Six Moon Design. I own both of them and they are both roomy enough for a solo hikers and their gear ...and both lighter (Lunar Solo-e 23 ounces/ Wild Oasis - 11 ounces)

'Slogger

slow
02-14-2008, 22:58
=================================

I'm a big Six Moon Design advocate ...but the Lunar Duo is a tad on the large side if you're talking "Solo" shelters.

I would suggest the Lunar Solo-e or the Wild Oasis, also from Six Moon Design. I own both of them and they are both roomy enough for a solo hikers and their gear ...and both lighter (Lunar Solo-e 23 ounces/ Wild Oasis - 11 ounces)

'Slogger

I understand but,23-11 is without poles and the oasis has no floor,also for 3lb packed you can slpeep 2 and keep all gear dry easy.No other company can say that.Plus not all use hiking poles.

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 23:07
I understand but,23-11 is without poles and the oasis has no floor,also for 3lb packed you can slpeep 2 and keep all gear dry easy.No other company can say that.Plus not all use hiking poles.
===============================

You have to add the weight of hiking poles to the Duo as well. I carry trekking poles so for me at least, needing one of them to prop up the tent isn't a biggie and it's NOT something I carry in my pack so it's not part of the "carrying weight" of the tent.

Yes, the Wild Oasis is floorless and for that reason, not for everyone. But if you're willing to spread out your matress and sleeping bag on a sheet of Tyvek there really isn't much difference in having a "floor" on the tent.

I'm not disputing that the Lunar Duo is a great shelter ...only that it is a tad on the large side as a SOLO shelter.

'Slogger

slow
02-14-2008, 23:29
===============================

You have to add the weight of hiking poles to the Duo as well. I carry trekking poles so for me at least, needing one of them to prop up the tent isn't a biggie and it's NOT something I carry in my pack so it's not part of the "carrying weight" of the tent.

Yes, the Wild Oasis is floorless and for that reason, not for everyone. But if you're willing to spread out your matress and sleeping bag on a sheet of Tyvek there really isn't much difference in having a "floor" on the tent.

I'm not disputing that the Lunar Duo is a great shelter ...only that it is a tad on the large side as a SOLO shelter.

'Slogger

The 3lb packed i'm saying is with the cf poles from smd.I dont use hiking poles.

I had the solo but,at 6'2 and closed off back of the tent,it was to small,hot for me in FL.....but still a great tent for others.

In FL 40 and above i use my MLD grace cuben tarp,bug bivy when alone.