PDA

View Full Version : Last minute ?s

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 14:30
We have decided to start in GA and go north in early April. Does this mean that I can reduce the cold weather gear? Also do I need to send it to myself at Fontana for the higher elevations in the Smokies? Besides that does anyone have any other useful tidbits of info for the first time AT hiker (first time does not mean inexperienced)?

rafe
02-12-2008, 14:32
You still need to be prepared for occasional sub-freezing nights and some snow, though the snow isn't likely to last or be very deep.

MOWGLI
02-12-2008, 14:33
We have decided to start in GA and go north in early April. Does this mean that I can reduce the cold weather gear? Also do I need to send it to myself at Fontana for the higher elevations in the Smokies? Besides that does anyone have any other useful tidbits of info for the first time AT hiker (first time does not mean inexperienced)?

It can get mighty cold in the mountains in April. The Smokies have received over 60 inches of snow in early May - in one storm, albeit a big one. You need to carry cold weather gear past Mt. Rogers in VA. That's a 5000' peak where it can get might cold in May.

jersey joe
02-12-2008, 14:55
I spent freezing nights in Pennsylvania in May...think twice before hiking without warm gear.

hobojoe
02-12-2008, 15:07
It can get mighty cold in the mountains in April. The Smokies have received over 60 inches of snow in early May - in one storm, albeit a big one. You need to carry cold weather gear past Mt. Rogers in VA. That's a 5000' peak where it can get might cold in May.
Absolutley right mowgli, I was up mt. rogers before trail daze may 12thish last year frozen rain, below freezing cold mt.

wrongway_08
02-12-2008, 15:08
Not worth saving the 2 or 3 pounds..... better safe then dead.

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 15:16
I was just talking about using my fleece under my raincoat and not bringing the down jacket. That's on top of the Capilene layer that I would have. I wasn't planning on riunning around in my scivies. We have been backpacking so far this year in below freezing temps at night and temps in the 40s during the day. I was just asking if it will be warmer than that. I found the average temps to be a bit higher and wondered if that was true?

MOWGLI
02-12-2008, 15:28
I was just talking about using my fleece under my raincoat and not bringing the down jacket. That's on top of the Capilene layer that I would have. I wasn't planning on riunning around in my scivies. We have been backpacking so far this year in below freezing temps at night and temps in the 40s during the day. I was just asking if it will be warmer than that. I found the average temps to be a bit higher and wondered if that was true?

The weather in the mountains is VERY changeable. There's an expression that goes something like, "Don't like the weather in the mountains? Wait 5 minutes."

Maybe I butchered that, but I think you get my point. I have never backpacked with a down jacket, so as long as you have layers and are prepared for cold, you should be OK.

Blissful
02-12-2008, 15:34
Yes - cold until mid May down south. Snowed on us twice last year in April. You can also get high winds with the change of season. Carry the gear you need for the Smokies at the beginning in GA. And the elevation isn't all that high in the Smokies. It's just as high outside the Smokies in places like Roan Mtn and that place can have wild weather (we hiked in snow. Other hikers were stranded at the shelter).

The elevation changes you need to be wary of is the notorious Whites of NH. Get your cold stuff by Glencliff. There was sleet on Mt Washington in August when we were there.

MOWGLI
02-12-2008, 15:39
And the elevation isn't all that high in the Smokies. It's just as high outside the Smokies in places like Roan Mtn and that place can have wild weather (we hiked in snow. Other hikers were stranded at the shelter).

Let me just clarify that the longest stretch of continuous trail above 5000' on the entire AT is in the Smokies (30+ miles), and a good bit of that is fairly exposed - up on a ridge.

Blissful is right though. There are higher places than the Smokies. The wildest weather I experienced down south was on Big Bald, and 3 hours earlier, it was beautiful.

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 15:42
Thanks all.;)

rafe
02-12-2008, 15:59
Snow on Roan in early May; the day before, it had been sunny and beautiful weather, hiking in shorts. That's how it is in the mountains.

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2008, 16:26
I've been snowed on and had sub-freezing weather as late as 23 May, and this was in Southwest Virginia.

In other words, if you're starting in April, bring warm clothes, i.e. long underwear top and bottom; fleece jacket; hat, gloves, maybe an extra pair of socks. Always try and keep something dry to change into at day's end, you'll be happy to have it at the end of the day.

A-Train
02-12-2008, 16:30
I never backpack without a winter hat, unless I'm out for a couple days in the dead heat of summer.

Tinker
02-12-2008, 16:54
Starting mid to late April isn't any guarantee of warm hiking. The Smokies often get snow in May. It may mean that you won't have to take your crampons (instep or otherwise), but maybe not, too.
Be safe.

Deadeye
02-12-2008, 16:59
I've never seen snowfall in VT in July. 1 out of 12 ain't bad!

Deadeye
02-12-2008, 17:00
Or August - man, my math sucks today.

joec
02-12-2008, 17:55
Last April 8th it got down to the upper teens on the coast of NC. I do not know what the temp would have been on the AT, but it had to have been much colder. Carry the extra stuff, it could save your life. Send it home when you get to Erwin or Damascus.

Bare Bear
02-12-2008, 20:00
I sent some stuff home at Harpers Ferry and wished I had it for two more weeks as I ffroze nightly until the weather changed back to warm.

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 20:03
You live in FL of course you did. I lived down there for ten years. That's part of the problem. I still need to toughen up a bit.

I sent some stuff home at Harpers Ferry and wished I had it for two more weeks as I ffroze nightly until the weather changed back to warm.

bigcranky
02-12-2008, 20:27
Jason,

You can reduce your cold weather gear compared to winter conditions -- say, a February 1 start date. So you don't need a winter bag or a big down parka, and multiple base layers of different weights. But you do need some warm clothing. I like my Micropuff pullover, but a fleece under a rainshell is probably fine, too. Hat and gloves. Dry clothes to sleep in.

There are always cases of hikers who head south in March and April thinking that the South is warm in the spring. And it is -- but not in the mountains.

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 21:21
Thanks Cranky. Useful info.

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 22:02
I forgot to ask one other thing. I have been debating on footwear. I have a pair of Merrell low cut shoes that are unbelievably comfy but not waterproof and a pair of mid height Scarpas that are also fairly comfy and are also waterproof. If I chose the low cut would I regret it?

bigcranky
02-12-2008, 22:08
I forgot to ask one other thing. I have been debating on footwear. I have a pair of Merrell low cut shoes that are unbelievably comfy but not waterproof and a pair of mid height Scarpas that are also fairly comfy and are also waterproof. If I chose the low cut would I regret it?

This is a perennial question among hikers. My personal take is that my shoes and feet are going to get wet eventually, and leather hiking boots take forever to dry. I wear mesh trail runners for 3-season hiking, and w/b trail runners in winter.

Your mileage may vary, as they say. But the trend is toward lighter footwear.

GGS2
02-12-2008, 23:12
... I wear mesh trail runners for 3-season hiking, and w/b trail runners in winter. ...

Ditto. Actually, I tend to wear runners in winter too. Depends on the snow.

The rest of the time, I figure I can hike them dry after they get wet. I just splash through creeks most of the time. I've never had a truly dry set of boots, except in winter, so now I just don't worry about it any more. The only time it bugs me a bit is in the morning dew, just after leaving camp. Crossing the first grass field is a little distressing. But that is soon over, and the rest is just hiking.