PDA

View Full Version : Some more questions

TrippinBTM
02-12-2008, 15:21
Just trying to iron out some details...

--How easy is it to get to Amicola State Park? That is, does a bus go near there? Or do you have to hitchhike? Or walk? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to even get to the start of this thing.

--I read once somewhere of a place called "the Inn." I seem to recall it was in the south, TN or NC or something... sounded like the place to be, to definitely stay a night there at least. Any idea where this is?

--how much on average do hostels cost?

--these "convenience stores" along the trail. Are these about like gas station convenience stores, with just candy and chips? What sort of supplies can I really expect to get here (I understand they aren't all the same, just in general).

--Is anyone else really sick of planning and just want to hike? :D

Lone Wolf
02-12-2008, 15:23
get one of the guides. all the info is in there

hopefulhiker
02-12-2008, 15:25
See Jack's resupply article...

TrippinBTM
02-12-2008, 15:32
i ordered the guide a couple hours ago, but it obviously hasn't shown up yet; and I have gone through the resupply article. These are some of the questions I was left with.

rafe
02-12-2008, 15:39
Just trying to iron out some details...

--How easy is it to get to Amicola State Park? That is, does a bus go near there? Or do you have to hitchhike? Or walk? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to even get to the start of this thing.

--I read once somewhere of a place called "the Inn." I seem to recall it was in the south, TN or NC or something... sounded like the place to be, to definitely stay a night there at least. Any idea where this is?

--how much on average do hostels cost?

--these "convenience stores" along the trail. Are these about like gas station convenience stores, with just candy and chips? What sort of supplies can I really expect to get here (I understand they aren't all the same, just in general).

--Is anyone else really sick of planning and just want to hike? :D

1. Taxi from Gainesville. Or check the ATC website for the complete list of AT shuttle services.
2. Maybe you mean Sunnybank Inn, aka Elmer's place, in Hot Springs.
3. Hostels: prices vary. Some simply ask for a donation.
4. Convenience stores: typically crappy, which is why they're referred to as "short term resupply." You won't starve, but it's junk food.

jlb2012
02-12-2008, 15:43
2.) my guess was Hike Inn near Fontana

Lone Wolf
02-12-2008, 15:45
Hike Inn dahlonega

peanuts
02-12-2008, 15:46
you can contact the hike inn in dahlonega, ga and make arrangement through them for pick up and a place to stay. they will shuttle you to amicalola or springer.

Blissful
02-12-2008, 15:47
The companion will be helpful (there is one online too that you can check ahead of time). You can also check my blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com) - I listed the places last year where we stayed and groceries available (also where we sent ourmail drops). Scroll down the blog to see the places (there are three entries to cover it all). Convenience stores are all different -some small, some large, NY is expensive. Most have a few items to last you like noddles, mac and cheese, etc. Since they are in the trail's vicinity, they tend to cater more to hikers. Some you will discover along the way, word of mouth, etc.

Where are you staying when you get to Georgia? There is the Hiker hostel that will shuttle you to the start of the trail. You can spend the night there. But it fills up fast.

Blissful
02-12-2008, 15:48
Hike Inn is at Fontana near RObbinsville, outside the Smokies.

Hiker Hostel is Dahlonega, Josh and Leigh.

I'll bet the Inn is probably Elmers place at Hot Springs.

max patch
02-12-2008, 16:01
The Hiker Hostel is in Dahlonega.

The Hike Inn is off of the approach trail 6 ish miles north of ASP.

10-K
02-12-2008, 16:37
The Hiker Hostel is in Dahlonega.

The Hike Inn is off of the approach trail 6 ish miles north of ASP.

There is a "The Hike Inn" at Fontana Dam.

Tb

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 17:00
i ordered the guide a couple hours ago, but it obviously hasn't shown up yet; and I have gone through the resupply article. These are some of the questions I was left with.

Well, you could use this in the meantime, I can imagine you're eager:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

It is the 2007 book, they haven't posted the 2008 yet.

You can hike the entire trail without maildrops and ony encounter "crappy" resupply a handful of times. Frequently the short-term resupply places even have made-to-order deli sandwiches, etc. Baltimore Jack's resupply article is definitely the way to plan for eats.

Here's the annotated list of where I resupplied in 2006:

RESUPPLY [plus memorable restaurants in supply towns]:

Neels Gap - some expensive resupply at outfitter [buffet in town]
Hiawassee - good grocery store [buffet next to Holiday Inn]
Franklin - good grocery store, dollar store [great Mexican]
* Fontana Dam Village - bad, overpriced resupply at general store
Gatlinburg - good grocery store, ride bus [good BBQ]
Hot Springs - dollar store, outfitters, interesting little grocery store [Elmer’s - great vegetarian]
Erwin - okay grocery store, dollar store
Kincora/Elizabethton - nice grocery store
Damascus - good grocery store, dollar store [Lazy Fox Inn - fantastic breakfast]
* Atkins - crappy grocery store in town - motel owner takes you
Pearisburg - good grocery store, dollar store [Chinese buffet]
Daleville - great grocery store [nice BBQ]
Waynesboro - good grocery store [Chinese buffet]
* Linden - crappy general store (maildrop or skip altogether)
Harpers Ferry (get summer gear) - great grocery store, dollar store, in next town, ride bus
Duncannon - great grocery store, drug store next door [burger at Doyle]
Delaware Water Gap - went home, don't know about grocery store
Pawling - went home, pretty good bit off trail, don't know about grocery store [great Mexican restaurant with Mexican groceries]
Kent - nice little grocery story
Salisbury - nice little grocery store
North Adams - great grocery store [picnic table out front, salad bar inside]
Manchester Center - good grocery store, dollar store [good Steak rest.]
Hanover - great co-op grocery store, drugstore [Indian (in house not mall)]
* Glencliff (get winter gear anyway) - okay deluxe gas station food mart
Gorham - nice grocery store [Chinese buffets]
Rangely - nice medium-sized grocery store [good Thai]
Monson - crappy little dirty store, nice medium-sized grocery store in next town [great BBQ, nice breakfast at Shaw’s]

* would definitely consider sending food maildrop

Scale: crappy - okay - good - nice - great - fantastic

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2008, 17:10
Tater:

Thanks for the thumbs up. The feedback I received this summer and fall from many of the 2007 folks re. my Re-Supply article was pretty positive (i.e. folks seemed to find the information useful, and more imprtant, it was still considerd accurate). Except for my "What would you do differently?" essay, which is also in the "Articles" section, I've had better feedback on the Re-Supply article than from anything I've posted on the Internet. I'd like to think that it's still useful for the folks that will be leaving in a few weeks.

Terry7
02-12-2008, 18:01
Tater:

Thanks for the thumbs up. The feedback I received this summer and fall from many of the 2007 folks re. my Re-Supply article was pretty positive (i.e. folks seemed to find the information useful, and more imprtant, it was still considerd accurate). Except for my "What would you do differently?" essay, which is also in the "Articles" section, I've had better feedback on the Re-Supply article than from anything I've posted on the Internet. I'd like to think that it's still useful for the folks that will be leaving in a few weeks.
I used your resupply list last year and it was a great help to me.

Mountain Man
02-12-2008, 18:34
As some of the others have said you can get a shuttle thru the hiker hostel www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com) they have a thru-hikers special and will pick you up stay the night and put you on the trail. The Hike Inn at Amicalola Falls don't do shuttle service.

AT-HITMAN2005
02-12-2008, 19:00
seems to me like most convenience stores have at least mac and cheese and possibly liptons on the shelf, so its not all junk food. but i agree most of it is.

TrippinBTM
02-19-2008, 13:40
Where are you staying when you get to Georgia? There is the Hiker hostel that will shuttle you to the start of the trail. You can spend the night there. But it fills up fast.

No idea. Was thinking about taking a Greyhound to somewhere before Atlanta and hitchhiking down GA-52 or something. Right now getting there is a major weak spot in my planning.

And yes, Jack, your article is very helpful, cleared up a lot of questions I had. Maybe when I'm done with my hike I'll add feedback.

And I'm pretty sure "the Inn" was Elmer's place, the name sounds familiar.

I'm reading different things on this, though: is Williamstown/North Adams, VT too early to get winter stuff? That's where I was planning my last maildrop. (actually, at first I was gonna use Kent, CT)

TrippinBTM
02-19-2008, 13:41
by the way, I don't have internet, so I can only go online to check these replies when I'm at my parents' house, so if I don't reply immediately, that's why.

Johnny Thunder
02-19-2008, 14:27
No idea. Was thinking about taking a Greyhound to somewhere before Atlanta and hitchhiking down GA-52 or something. Right now getting there is a major weak spot in my planning.

And yes, Jack, your article is very helpful, cleared up a lot of questions I had. Maybe when I'm done with my hike I'll add feedback.

And I'm pretty sure "the Inn" was Elmer's place, the name sounds familiar.

I'm reading different things on this, though: is Williamstown/North Adams, VT too early to get winter stuff? That's where I was planning my last maildrop. (actually, at first I was gonna use Kent, CT)

That's not a bad place, depending on how early/late you make it through Mass and into VT. Last year I spent the Friday before the Long Trail Festival (8/17) with a few Thru's between North Adams and Bennington...it was chilly and I know that I would have liked to have brought my winter gear along. If anything, it's just another 100 to 150 miles that you'd be carrying the extra 2 or 3 pounds. That's not going to kill you.

rafe
02-19-2008, 19:44

From Williamstown, it's still roughly two weeks' hiking before you get to, say, Mt. Moosilauke -- where "The Whites" begin, more or less. It would also depend on when you arrive at these various points. Play it by ear. Don't try to over-plan this sort of thing.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 19:59
Terrapin's right. You can send for some of your warmer gear in Williamstown (warmer hat, polypro gloves, maybe a light fleece) but in all likelihood, you'll be here in late July or sometime in August and won't really need this stuff yet.

Most folks don't get their cold-weather stuff (including sleeping bag) back until Hanover, or at latest, in Glencliff a few days later.

I think if you switch back on ALL your stuff on the MA/VT border, you'll find that you don't really need it yet, especially stuff like thicker gloves or a 20 degree (or warmer) sleeping bag. Other than making sure you have at least one warm long-sleeved garment with you for the end of the day or to sleep in, I don't think a major re-tooling in Williamstown will be necessary.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2008, 20:06
Not much nutrition nor very filling food, plus if you're not a Berkely-level screaming liberal, you may be made to be VERY uncomfortable there (and possibly kicked out) for doing nothing more than politely answering questions about your beliefs.

There is more to the place I'm not going to go into here.

In Hot Springs, I'd suggest staying at the hostel operated by the outfitter in season.

rafe
02-19-2008, 20:11
re. Elmers in Hot Springs...

Not much nutrition nor very filling food, plus if you're not a Berkely-level screaming liberal, you may be made to be VERY uncomfortable there (and possibly kicked out) for doing nothing more than politely answering questions about your beliefs.

Utter BS.

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2008, 20:12
There is more to the place I'm not going to go into here.
Why not? I would be interested in knowing about it.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 20:20
Unless things have changed recently, the Outfitter no longer runs a hostel (What used to be the Cody House hostel is now a private residence).

But there are all sorts of good lodging options in Hot Springs, the most popular being Elmer's and the Duckett House Inn. See your Traill guidebook for more details.

Blissful
02-19-2008, 20:26
But there are all sorts of good lodging options in Hot Springs, the most popular being Elmer's and the Duckett House Inn. See your Traill guidebook for more details.

Stumpknocker talked about some cottages or something in Hot Springs?

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 20:29
There are some little rooms (nothing fancy) for rent behind Paddler's Pub. And the nearby campground has cabins that can be shared. Don't know about "cottages" tho, unless there's something a ways out of town.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2008, 20:35
re. Elmers in Hot Springs...
Utter BS.

I can attest first-hand to the food being nutritionally insubstantial and insufficient in quantity. (Almost no dark green vegetables, toddler-sized milk cups, etc.) I also was subjected to being asked unprovoked and unencouraged private values questions bordering on interrogation, with other hikers telling me about more extreme experiences.

The Duckett was in some ways also a bit strange, too, but was cheaper and had what I'd call "benign neglect" by the owner. If the Cody is sadly shut down, I'd stay at the Duckett next time through there.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 20:43
This is probably not the best time or place to debate this, but I just want too go on record as saying that The Duckett House is one of the friendliest, and certainly one of the loveliest places to stay on the whole Trail. Brian and Frank are wonderful people, and I'd stay there againin a heartbeat. Infact, if I ever get married again (yeah, right!) this is probably where it would happen.

I'm sorry Smitty felt neglected there or thought the place was strange, but with all due respect, Smitty, I've seen you complaints about other places that nearly everyone else thought was great. I think, Smitty, the standards you set are, at times, higher than most people either demand or want.

But Class of '08 people take note: The Duckett House is a very cool place to stay. The private rooms are beautiful; there's a small bunkhouse, and there are some great creekside tentsites if you want quiet and are on a budget.

Oh, and contrary to what Smitty said, most folks who stay at Elmer's love the place, and have done so for almost 30 years.

Dogwood
02-19-2008, 22:26
[quote=TrippinBTM;542148]No idea. Was thinking about taking a Greyhound to somewhere before Atlanta and hitchhiking down GA-52 or something. Right now getting there is a major weak spot in my planning.

I took the Greyhound from Atlantic City, NJ to Atlanta, GA Bus Terminal. I then took a local bus to Gainesville GA, where Josh and Leigh Saint picked me up. They also pick up at the Atlanta airport and bus terminal. Stayed at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega for 1 night. The next morning they dropped hikers off at Springer and me at Amicalola(if I recall correctly drop off was incuded in the price of staying at the hostel, companion has info about the Hiker Hostel). If U R taking a bus from MI to GA I highly recommend U strongly consider taking a day to gather yourself before starting your trek. Staying a night at the hostel is a great way to get that last minute advice and preparation for your trip ahead. It was definitely worth it to me! As someone already said, they do shuttles for a fee. I was so amped up to start the hike that I had originally planned to hitch directly to the TH at Amicalola or pay for the Saint's shuttle service right from the bus. GLAD I didn't! I needed to recoup from the long arduous bus ride(which is what U R facing). Additionally, I learned things at the Hiker Hostel that not only positively impacted the hike through GA, but the whole thru-hike. If I recall correctly, the shuttle service was as much, or almost as much, as staying the night at the hostel, which included being picked up and shuttled to the trail. Just some meanderings of an AT thru-hiker!!!

tlw08
02-20-2008, 09:47
Physical driving distance from Gainesville to Approach Trail?

Physical time driving from Gainesville to Approach Trail?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2008, 09:48
about 40 miles. about an hour or less

TrippinBTM
02-20-2008, 11:42
Dogwood, how much is that hostel. Kinda trying to do this on the cheap, you know? And how about the fee for the shuttle? And where do you get on the "local bus" for gainsville? Same bus station?

as far as Elmer's goes, I don't know. Are the food portions really that small? And again, cost is an issue for my cheap a$$. Those creekside campsites sound kindof nice, and gotta be a lot less money. How much is Elmers? Then again, I also don't want to miss a great experience at a cool place, if Elmers is all that some say it is.

Red Hat
02-20-2008, 18:25
Dogwood, how much is that hostel.

Check out www.hikerhostel.com for the latest rates. There is a thruhiker special that includes pick up in Gainesville or Atlanta, night, breakfast, and shuttle to the trail. Seems like it was about $60 or so. Great deal!