PDA

View Full Version : Info from people near Lynchburg, VA

bulldog
02-12-2008, 15:25
I recently aborted a winter sobo thru-hike at the US 501 road-crossing in Virginia after finding a dead body at Punchbowl Shelter. The man set up his tent inside the shelter, got in his sleeping bag, and apparently shot himself with a small caliber pistol. The sheriff's deputies that arrived on the scene said the man had likely been dead for 2 days. I had recently taken two zeros in Waynesboro, VA (where I went to the library and discovered the Hilton murders), and had I not stopped in Waynesboro I could very well have met this man at the shelter while he was still alive. I can't help think of two scenarios had that happened - 1. He could have taken me with him, or 2. I could have talked him out of it.

I was wondering if anyone in the Lynchburg/Buena Vista or any nearby areas had any information or links to news articles on who the man was and his motives for ending his life. Thanks.

Thoughtful Owl
02-12-2008, 16:08
About when did this occur. I haven't heard anything about this and I have several friends that work for the Amherst County Sherrifs Dept. who has jurisdiction in that area. I also go out to the Punch Bowl Shelter on a fairly regular bases clean up etc.

TO

bulldog
02-12-2008, 17:49
About when did this occur. I haven't heard anything about this and I have several friends that work for the Amherst County Sherrifs Dept. who has jurisdiction in that area. I also go out to the Punch Bowl Shelter on a fairly regular bases clean up etc.

TO

Friday night. I believe the sheriffs dept. from Amherst County as well as officers from the NPS and VA Game Commission responded.

Patrickjd9
02-12-2008, 22:08
Bulldog, I'm terribly sorry you had to find this man's body. Hope you're doing OK.

BigCat
02-13-2008, 03:20
What a horrible thing.

I live in Danville and local news covers Roanoke, Lynchburg and the New River Valley but I haven't heard anything.

orangebug
02-13-2008, 08:03
The media is unlikely to cover it. It increases the risk of contagion/copycat acts.

You might get more info from contacting the local sheriff's office or medical examiner (or is Va on the coroner system?).

Frau
02-13-2008, 08:20
I am an EMT w/Glasgow. We had no call from this end of the Rockbridge Co. If Amherst Sheriffs arrived it was mostly likely their jurisdiction.

Several years ago I was a member of a K-9 SAR unit and a significant number wilderness calls are for suicides.

Sorry you had to come upon this. The victim probably would not have taken yo with him, but would have waited until he was alone--as he apparently did. DON'T bear this burden, you had no responsibility in it.

Frau

Frau
02-13-2008, 08:22
JEEZZ---
You had NO, repeat NO responsibility in it.

(Sorry for the lack of editting).

Frau

dixicritter
02-13-2008, 08:49
I fixed it for you Frau. :)

Totally agree with everything said here too. Take care of yourself bulldog, and try not to place the blame on yourself.

Thoughtful Owl
02-13-2008, 09:29

TO

Amherst County Sherrifs Dept. has jurisdiction in the Punch Bowl Area and the Pedlar Rescue would have responded. I have friends on the sherrifs dept and the rescue dept and nothing was said. I understand the news may not cover it, but my friends on the dept would have said something to me because they know I bp and am in that area regularly.

Regardless, bulldog I am sorry you had such a tramatic experience in our neck of the woods. Come on back and we will be a bit more hospitable.

TO

bulldog
02-14-2008, 12:38
JEEZZ---
You had NO, repeat NO responsibility in it.

(Sorry for the lack of editting).

Frau

I appreciate the encouragement, but I feel no responsibility for that man's decision and it wasn't very traumatizing at all. It was just one of those experiences that got the wheels turning in my head about a variety of things - the primary one being had I accomplished everything I wanted to on this hike? I decided I had. Besides, that night combined with my recently finding out about the Hilton murders further south, for the first time in 15 years, I felt uncomfortable (not necessarily afraid, just uneasy) being in the woods.

wilconow
02-14-2008, 20:24
someone posted another thread about this

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33096&highlight=punchbowl

LIhikers
02-15-2008, 10:33
I once had a coversation with a park ranger in NJ in which he said that parks, and woods, are a very common place for people to commit suicide.

Thoughtful Owl
02-15-2008, 10:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frau http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=537114#post537114)
I just learned that the Buena Vista Rescue Squad picked up the body.

Frau

Yeah, I found this out last night talking to some friends. Said something about the man being from Rockbridge Co. I know the Scoutmaster from the Boy Scout Troop that happened upon the body.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/misc/progress.gif

Frau
02-15-2008, 19:21
One of my student's father and brother were with the troop. I have not heard whether the man was from Rockbridge Co. or not. You know how we 'hear' things in our small towns.

Frau

Frau
02-15-2008, 19:23
TO--What are the circling dots on the lower left of your post?

Frau