PDA

View Full Version : Importance of this forum

DawnTreader
02-12-2008, 16:23
Enlight of the recent hiker death on Little Haystack, it suddenly hit me. This website can be an extremely powerful tool. Besides great stories and commradaree, the knowledge shared by folks who have been through this crap before could really mean the difference between life and death for some people. I've learned a lot about the trial and error of backpacking skills, enlightened through this site, as well as great tips, good advice and important information, that some day could get me out of a real jam. Hats off to Whiteblaze and its posters for being here for us hiker nuts.
R.I.P Laurence Fredrickson...

Bob S
02-12-2008, 17:14
Enlight of the recent hiker death on Little Haystack, it suddenly hit me. This website can be an extremely powerful tool. Besides great stories and commradaree, the knowledge shared by folks who have been through this crap before could really mean the difference between life and death for some people. I've learned a lot about the trial and error of backpacking skills, enlightened through this site, as well as great tips, good advice and important information, that some day could get me out of a real jam. Hats off to Whiteblaze and its posters for being here for us hiker nuts.
R.I.P Laurence Fredrickson...

Who you calling a Hiker Nut???

The correct word is Enthusiast. :D

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 17:15
This is why it is so important to ensure that the information given to people here is thoughtful and ethical, especially regarding safety issues.

DawnTreader
02-12-2008, 17:22
This is why it is so important to ensure that the information given to people here is thoughtful and ethical, especially regarding safety issues.

It is also important to take certain things with regard to advice/suggestions, with a grain of salt. There IS a lot of BS here, but you have to be able to pick out the gems and put them to use in the field.

mystic
02-12-2008, 17:23
Fish and Game said the men were found close to the summit. Searchers said it appeared the men were equipped only for a day hike and did not have adequate winter gear for overnight or for the severe winter that overtook them.

Always prepare for the worst case scenario. Don't listen to people that say rain gear and warm clothes are optional.

Source (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view.bg?articleid=1073049&srvc=home&position=recent)

napster
02-12-2008, 17:41
:welcomeWelcome to WB. . . .

DawnTreader
02-12-2008, 18:02
hmmmmm. welcome also?

Miss Janet
02-12-2008, 18:24
I just noticed where yet another near death experience was averted and the credit given to one of the surviver TV shows. The couple made snowshoes out of the seat cushions of their car as they had seen demonstrated on an episode. I do think that people learn a lot on the site and the good stuff sinks in even if you don't realize you learned something new today.

I am sure that many people have better hiking experiences because of something they learned here and something you say today may save a life someday.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-12-2008, 18:26
Good to see you folk who have been members for a while posting.

As Dawnhiker notes, this site can help save lives.

Hooch
02-12-2008, 18:30
As Dawnhiker notes, this site can help save lives.Absolutely! WhiteBlaze not only serves as a cyber-social center for many in the AT community, but it contains literally volume upon volume of valuable information. I know in the little time I've been active on WB, I've learned a ton from the experiences of others who have so graciously shared that information. Almost any time I have a hiking/AT question, I put it to the "jury" here. My questions is usually answered and then some! My thanks to everyone here. :clap

warraghiyagey
02-12-2008, 18:30
D Tread's a good man - a good soul.:sun

DawnTreader
02-13-2008, 14:18
I just noticed where yet another near death experience was averted and the credit given to one of the surviver TV shows. The couple made snowshoes out of the seat cushions of their car as they had seen demonstrated on an episode. I do think that people learn a lot on the site and the good stuff sinks in even if you don't realize you learned something new today.

I am sure that many people have better hiking experiences because of something they learned here and something you say today may save a life someday.

I've seen this episode.. Its a goody..
With all the information sharing going on these days through the media and internet, it has become incredibly easy to gain knowledge. This website is just another example of a great resource to learn. Even if you already have some level of experience. Leave a penny Take a penny..

Warrgy... Takes one to know one...

Frosty
02-13-2008, 19:38
The only problem is that the people who most need advice won't be reading hiking forums. They don't belong to the AMC or GMC or AHS or any trail group or club.

What I'm afraid of is that someone will sue NH after a death, and then NH will go Nazi like Maine does with Baxter. They'll strictly limit who can hike, where they can go, and when they can do it. That would truly suck.

gungho
02-13-2008, 20:57
I have to say I have learned some good tips on this site and introduced to great gear. Of course,all the info can be overwhelming,and then you have to figure out which options are the best fit for you. Because you have to hike your on hike,but it is great to have a site you can bounce ideas off of each other and get the pros and cons based off of other peoples experiences.