PDA

View Full Version : New Balance 851 Hikers

Jody7818
01-09-2004, 17:58
Does anyone have any experience with the New Balance 851 Hikers? Is this a new shoe? I was wondering how long they would last on a thru hike.

Jody

highway
01-10-2004, 12:46
Does anyone have any experience with the New Balance 851 Hikers? Is this a new shoe? I was wondering how long they would last on a thru hike.

Jody

I just saw them advertised in Cabela's for $89.95 as a mid height but with Gore-tex, darnnit, which means they'll take longer to dry. But they sure look interesting with what appears to be a more aggressive sole. Could not find them on the NB site so I don't know if they are new or an earlier, no longer produced, model. They do have a vast number of sizes-including mine :-? .

Shoe Leather Express
01-11-2004, 18:24
I just saw them advertised in Cabela's for $89.95 . . . Could not find them on the NB site so I don't know if they are new or an earlier, no longer produced, model.
They are a Cabela's-only exclusive. You can't get them anywhere else.

highway
01-11-2004, 18:36
They are a Cabela's-only exclusive. You can't get them anywhere else.
In that case I hate to try them.

If I did, they would probably turn out to be fantastic and then the line would be dropped next year so couldnt get them again.

Do you have them? If so, comments?

Shoe Leather Express
01-11-2004, 18:43
I don't have them, nor have I ever used them. New Balance and Nike are my favorite two brands of shoes though. :) (That probably wasn't very helpful. :D )

highway
01-11-2004, 18:51
I don't have them, nor have I ever used them. New Balance and Nike are my favorite two brands of shoes though. :) (That probably wasn't very helpful. :D )

Seven minutes to answer...What took you so long? :D

Yes it was. If its correct, all information is helpful.
Thanks

Shoe Leather Express
01-11-2004, 19:12
Seven minutes to answer...What took you so long? :D

Yes it was. If its correct, all information is helpful.
Thanks

LOL. I have several browsers open. I'm bouncing between two message boards and some gear sites to see what's on sale. ;)

MileMonster
01-11-2004, 23:23
I've had this shoe for about a year and a half. I didn't get it from Cabela's, though. I got it from New Balance Web Express,

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/

They currnently have several womens 851's at a good price.

The shoe has done fairly well for me, but several complaints. They feel good and I can do big miles in them. I'm a light packer but they can handle a pack in the 40's. The first pair delam'ed at the toe after only 100 miles or so. I sent them back and they sent a new pair. The second pair is doing better. They use Sympatex as the wp/breathable, not Goretex. I find that sympatex does not breathe well enough for me. One problem with a shoe that does not breathe well enogh is that they are constantly damp. This makes for cold feet around a winter campsite if you don't have camp shoes. Also, the damp shoes get moldy and REALLY stink. I mean REALLY stink. Finally, after about a year on this pair (maybe 200-250 miles) they are not completely waterproof any more.

Blue Jay
01-12-2004, 09:00
I got a 1000 AT miles on a pair and like them very much. For me the Sympatex breathes better than Gortex. I know I am rare, a heavy weight backpacker who likes waterprrof trail running shoes.