PDA

View Full Version : marathon-length hike

Marta
02-12-2008, 22:37
I'm planning a 26+ dayhike for me and a few friends. Probably early May this year.

The section south of Damascus seems like a possibility--it's about the easiest section in the South. Maybe out to US421, then back to Damascus.

Any better ideas?

fiddlehead
02-13-2008, 00:20
That'd be one of the easiest.
How about Newfound gap to Fontana (a little longer but a lot of downhill also and very doable) No permits needed, just need someone to pick you up or set up a shuttle the day before. (much more scenic)
I did this section in Jan 2002 and was finished by dark (before 5 PM) (your biggest problem would be people on the trail. I saw none when i did it. )

Bearpaw
02-13-2008, 00:28
How about Newfound gap to Fontana (a little longer but a lot of downhill also and very doable) No permits needed, just need someone to pick you up or set up a shuttle the day before. (much more scenic)
I did this section in Jan 2002 and was finished by dark (before 5 PM) (your biggest problem would be people on the trail. I saw none when i did it. )

I'd actually prefer going the other way. Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap would be more straightforward: 30.5 miles with less climbing and better overall views.

However, Clingman's Dome to Fontana might be the ticket. 32 miles and change with good views as well, and you avoid the 1400 feet of climbing to summit Clingman's.

Though if you REALLY wanted a mellow 26+, just do a section of Shenandoah National Park. Lots of options there with decent views, strong chance of a wayside or camp store for mid-day goodies, and easy walking.

fiddlehead
02-13-2008, 01:12
Yeah, anywhere on the AT really (except maybe northern new england)
I was looking at where the OP was from. That is why i suggested the Smokies.
It's all good!

Marta
02-13-2008, 07:37
Good suggestions. Half the Smokies is another really good option. Until the Dam re-opens to foot traffic, I'd probably choose the northern half. I also think it's somewhat easier walking. That Thunderhead Mtn. bit is relatively grueling.

I'm thinking we could drive out from Charlotte and camp Friday night, to get an early start Saturday morning.

I just had another thought--we could do the northern half in the spring, and the southern half in the fall. That would be cool.

Stir Fry
02-13-2008, 08:06
Your not hiking you are running if you can do newfound to the dam in one day. lots fo ups and downs in that section.

fiddlehead
02-13-2008, 09:52
Just gotta get up early an do it. It was on a SOBO from Katahdin so i was in pretty good shape by then. I've been told most of my life that i go too fast. Got tired of hearing it. HYOH

The Solemates
02-13-2008, 11:18
I'm planning a 26+ dayhike for me and a few friends. Probably early May this year.

The section south of Damascus seems like a possibility--it's about the easiest section in the South. Maybe out to US421, then back to Damascus.

Any better ideas?

I did 24 through this section in a day in 06, right off the couch. It wasnt too difficult. Good section to do it in.