PDA

View Full Version : Hikerhead meets Trail Legend David Horton

J5man
02-12-2008, 23:38
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/0/4/4/hh_horton_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22162&catid=member&imageuser=11044)

I was hiking with Hikerhead on Saturday and we ran into David Horton -former speed record holder for the AT (I had no idea who he was!) - at Tinker Cliffs. He (Hikerhead) wasn't the same for the rest of the day, you would have thought he had met Santa Claus himself! Actually, David was very nice and humble. He was doing a 40 mile day. He was wearing a camelbak with a couple of pockets on the front holding some candy bars and some other power bars.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2008, 23:39
my old buddy horty!

jersey joe
02-13-2008, 00:38
While much of the world has never heard of Horton, he really is quite the celebrity in hiking circles!

Thoughtful Owl
02-13-2008, 10:21
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/0/4/4/hh_horton_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22162&catid=member&imageuser=11044)

I was hiking with Hikerhead on Saturday and we ran into David Horton -former speed record holder for the AT (I had no idea who he was!) - at Tinker Cliffs. He (Hikerhead) wasn't the same for the rest of the day, you would have thought he had met Santa Claus himself! Actually, David was very nice and humble. He was doing a 40 mile day. He was wearing a camelbak with a couple of pockets on the front holding some candy bars and some other power bars.

Yes, if you haven't met David Horton, you need to. He is probably one of the most humble men I have ever met. Didn't know he was in the Tinker Cliffs area on Saturday; I was over at McAfee's Knob area and there were several runners that came through but none of them were Dave. He was probably leading the pack and was already ahead of me.

TO

winger
02-13-2008, 11:37
Pretty area, where is that located?
How old/young is Mr. Horton?

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 11:40
Catawba, Virginia area. Horton is about 58 now. the 28th of this month actually

Thoughtful Owl
02-13-2008, 11:46
Pretty area, where is that located?
How old/young is Mr. Horton?

The Tinker Cliffs area is in Catawba, VA just outside of Roanoke, VA. The cliffs are right off the AT and can be accessed from the north or south. From the south you will pass McAfee's Knob.

David Horton is in his mid to late 50's.

markc7
02-13-2008, 12:48
David Horton is also pretty well known in the ultramarathon running world. He was the second person ever to finish the Barkley 100 mile race, which was originally designed to be an impossible race. We even use the term "Horton miles" to describe a race course that is deliberately measured a couple miles long. He's pretty amazing.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 13:01
David Horton is also pretty well known in the ultramarathon running world. He was the second person ever to finish the Barkley 100 mile race, which was originally designed to be an impossible race. We even use the term "Horton miles" to describe a race course that is deliberately measured a couple miles long. He's pretty amazing.

have you run the Masochist or some of his other races?

Thoughtful Owl
02-13-2008, 13:10

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/mmtrinfo.htm

Check it out!

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 13:38
i have. i've run it 5 times :)

Kerosene
02-13-2008, 15:27
i have. i've run it 5 times :)So I guess that makes you a serial masochist, right?!? :D

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 15:28
So I guess that makes you a serial masochist, right?!? :D

yeah boy! :) i need to get my fat ass in shape and run another one soon

Kerosene
02-13-2008, 15:41
Does the Mountain Masochist Trail Run follow the Blue Ridge Parkway the entire way, or does it follow the AT and other trails? The reason I ask is that the map (http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/finish_directions.htm) implies that it follows the BRP from Montebello to US-501, which is only 35 miles. Just curious.

Thoughtful Owl
02-13-2008, 16:08
No the MMTR doesn't follow the BRP all the way. It crossed over and under and around the parkway, some of it was down in valley close to the AT, like down near the Pedlar Resivor etc.

Each year it is ran in different locations, never following the same old trail.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 16:10
No the MMTR doesn't follow the BRP all the way. It crossed over and under and around the parkway, some of it was down in valley close to the AT, like down near the Pedlar Resivor etc.

Each year it is ran in different locations, never following the same old trail.

no. it does run the same route. it's only been rerouted in the past few years near the end

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 16:13
Does the Mountain Masochist Trail Run follow the Blue Ridge Parkway the entire way, or does it follow the AT and other trails? The reason I ask is that the map (http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/finish_directions.htm) implies that it follows the BRP from Montebello to US-501, which is only 35 miles. Just curious.

it starts on the BRP then follows 501 for 5 miles then goes in the woods where the AT goes. it basically follows the AT using other trails and forest service roads all the way to montibello. about 54 miles total

wakapak
02-13-2008, 17:36
You've seriously run that race, Wolf?? I'd love to do something like that...but not in any shape for it now!!

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 17:40
yeah. 05 was the last one i ran. 10 hours, 6 minutes

StarLyte
02-13-2008, 18:04
yeah boy! :) i need to get my fat ass in shape and run another one soon

hee hee :D :D

LW more of you to luv...
(but if you know you have health issues...get in shape.)

Hikerhead is a very nice man-don't get to see enough of him. He's a hikin' fool like Stumpknocker is. I love that.

Does he know we're talking about him here? :p

Hikerhead
02-13-2008, 18:43
Yes, I'm watching and thanks Starlyte. You are truly a nice person.

I did a little David Horton imitation by running off of Tinker Mtn...I was inspired :)

And if J5MAN says anything about "wood".....it's not true.

Kerosene
02-13-2008, 19:13
HH, it's a lot easier to run downhill than up.

StarLyte, HH loves to be out tromping the woods, but I think you'll find that you could easily outdistance him on the uphills. He can hike all day, though (and sometimes well into the night!).

Hikerhead
02-13-2008, 19:26
HH, it's a lot easier to run downhill than up.

StarLyte, HH loves to be out tromping the woods, but I think you'll find that you could easily outdistance him on the uphills. He can hike all day, though (and sometimes well into the night!).

You don't have to be a Yankee to figure that one out. :rolleyes:

I HATE GOING UP HILLS!!!! Yeah, this was a long day..8 AM to about 10...but not my longest that went from 8am to midnight. But damn we had a good time.

Marta
02-13-2008, 19:27
David Horton was at The Gathering in PA, where I was introduced to him. He seemed so normal that it took me a few minutes to realize I was in the presence of Superman.

wakapak
02-13-2008, 19:30
yeah. 05 was the last one i ran. 10 hours, 6 minutes

impressive! :banana (sorry, had to use the dancin' banana!!)

J5man
02-13-2008, 20:25
You don't have to be a Yankee to figure that one out. :rolleyes:

I HATE GOING UP HILLS!!!! Yeah, this was a long day..8 AM to about 10...but not my longest that went from 8am to midnight. But damn we had a good time.

It was my fault it took so dang long. My knee decided to go bum at mile 10 and the DOWNHILL is what was killing me. THere was another guy with us who was a hiking machine. (he used to be an ultramarathoner himself having run some 50 mile races when he was in his 50'S!) HH and him would have finished two hours earlier if I had not held them up. And yes, HH likes to night hike, this was my second hike with and both went into the night! But yes it was a great time.

J5man
02-13-2008, 20:50
Yes, I'm watching and thanks Starlyte. You are truly a nice person.

I did a little David Horton imitation by running off of Tinker Mtn...I was inspired :)

And if J5MAN says anything about "wood".....it's not true.

LOL! Yea, after HH had his pic taken with David, he took off and I didn't see him until Hay Rock!

Yea, HH was a little "inspired" after having his pic taken with David! hahahaha

Cuffs
02-13-2008, 20:56
Didnt you get a picture with him?

J5man
02-13-2008, 21:01
Didnt you get a picture with him?

Unfortunately I didn't.........I didn't know who he was until we were walking away and I asked HH who the heck that was! I just he was "somebody" and should take a picture and ask questions later! Maybe She-Dino can photoshop a picture for me!

Hikerhead
02-13-2008, 21:48
It was my fault it took so dang long. My knee decided to go bum at mile 10 and the DOWNHILL is what was killing me. THere was another guy with us who was a hiking machine. (he used to be an ultramarathoner himself having run some 50 mile races when he was in his 50'S!) HH and him would have finished two hours earlier if I had not held them up. And yes, HH likes to night hike, this was my second hike with and both went into the night! But yes it was a great time.

That was no problem.....I like night hiking. I know you were in some pain. I've been there....we start with three and we finish with three.

Here's my pictures on Webshots. Check out the movie of Carl climbing the rock....he's only 70 years old. You da man Carl.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562421544wfKlOW

slow
02-14-2008, 00:29
Great person.

Dirt Diva is REAL strong also.

markc7
02-14-2008, 09:34

Nahh, I haven't been able to get that far south for a race yet. All my 100 milers have been easier low key races here in Canada.

Marta
02-14-2008, 09:38
Nahh, I haven't been able to get that far south for a race yet. All my 100 milers have been easier low key races here in Canada.

My mind boggles at using the words "easier" and "low key" to describe a 100-mile race.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 09:42
My mind boggles at using the words "easier" and "low key" to describe a 100-mile race.:rolleyes:

the Hardrock 100 in Colorado is a lot different than say the Vermont 100. the Hardrock has a 48 hr. time limit and the Vermont has a 24 hr. limit and is much easier

Marta
02-14-2008, 09:59
the Hardrock 100 in Colorado is a lot different than say the Vermont 100. the Hardrock has a 48 hr. time limit and the Vermont has a 24 hr. limit and is much easier

Yeah, I can see that the Circles of Hell are different...but it's still Hell.