PDA

View Full Version : Stretching

Miu
02-12-2008, 23:48
Okay, I typed the word "stretching" into the search box, and a lot of posts came up about joint pain. Frankly, I don't feel like searching through them all for an answer. I'm starting the AT next month and am wondering how you guys stretch (and how often while hiking) to help AVOID injury and joint pain.

The stretches I usually do before walking/hiking are:
1) bending over and touching the ground
2) standing up straight and bending knee so that the back of the calf and back of the thigh touch, hand holding my ankle

Are there any others you would recommend? And yes, I know stretches are kinda hard to describe...

Freeleo
02-13-2008, 00:05
i would remember/recommend to walk a while then stretch the warm muscles as opposed to jsut stretching cold tight muscles as a general rule of thumb

and dont jsut stretch the front and back muscles.....do the side to side inside and outside muscles..if that makes any sense

Appalachian Tater
02-13-2008, 00:10
The only long-distance hiker I ever saw stretching on the A.T. was recuperating from an injury. Stretching is a good idea, but hiking is really mostly just walking, with some ups and downs, so most don't. The same stretches that runners use would be useful.

Here is a web page with the exercises I remember doing when I did cross country: http://www.nismat.org/traintip/runner/stretch.html

The only difference I remember is that #6 we did without a chair but we were always outside so we didn't have chairs. We would also start with stretches and start running slowly as a warm-up and then use the reverse of a slow-down run followed by stretching even after a long race. Technique is important, stretch slowly and for at least one minute without bobbing or sudden movements.

take-a-knee
02-13-2008, 00:26
You should learn to stretch your illiotibial band, it is a long band of fascia/muscle that runs from your illiac crest (lateral hip) to the outside of your lower leg. If it gets tight is usually presents as lateral knee pain.

ChinMusic
02-13-2008, 00:27
The one stretch that I do often is my calves. I am convinced this is an important one to help prevent plantar fasciitis.

Miu
02-13-2008, 01:06
You should learn to stretch your illiotibial band, it is a long band of fascia/muscle that runs from your illiac crest (lateral hip) to the outside of your lower leg. If it gets tight is usually presents as lateral knee pain.
Good idea--I've had some knee pain on and off in the past and I'm trying to keep it off as much as I can. Just trying not to injure anything else, as the knee took its sweet time to heal.

dessertrat
02-13-2008, 01:10
I don't stretch at all. I do take an anti-inflammatory before bed every night. It seems to prevent that "next day" soreness on a long backpacking trip.

Heater
02-13-2008, 01:12
Good idea--I've had some knee pain on and off in the past and I'm trying to keep it off as much as I can. Just trying not to injure anything else, as the knee took its sweet time to heal.

I'd just go with the ones in A Taters link along with foot massages during breaks.

Good luck on your Hike Miu.

Kiyu
02-13-2008, 01:45
I've found in prep work for hikes this summer that the Walking Site seems to have answers to a lot of the issues I've been having. Not having the benefit of wisdom gained from a lot of hiking miles I plan to carry some printed material from that site so I can identify, understand and try to deal with foot and leg issues as they come up. Part of it will be their section on stretching.
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/stretching.html

Gaiter
02-13-2008, 02:28
lunges are good

ScottP
02-13-2008, 04:11
I stretch pretty much every day I hike.

hopefulhiker
02-13-2008, 08:16
Stretching is really important... You can prevent shin splints by getting on a little of an incline and lifting the balls of your feet a whole bunch of times...

One girl, a teacher, would spell out the alphabet with her feet when she was in her sleeping bag to keep her ankles limber...

Pedaling Fool
02-13-2008, 10:36
I do all kind of stretches, if a certain movement causes tension I stretch it. I don't think many do stretch, other than real basic, quick things, because they don't see a need. As the body ages the need becomes very appearent.

take-a-knee
02-13-2008, 10:42
I do all kind of stretches, if a certain movement causes tension I stretch it. I don't think many do stretch, other than real basic, quick things, because they don't see a need. As the body ages the need becomes very appearent.

Connective tissue slowly invades muscle tissue with age, if you don't stretch you will have greatly reduce mobility/range of motion when you get old.

NorthCountryWoods
02-15-2008, 07:35
lunges are good

x2. Quad and calf stretches are what help me most.

Wife does yoga in the morning while on the trail.

mudhead
02-15-2008, 07:54
http://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Deck-50-Stretches/dp/0811833704

This thing is wicked handy. It has a card with labeled body parts, so you can zero in on what is tight. Explains how to do the stretch in very straight forward terms.

The IT stretch is an odd one, odd chunk of body.

88BlueGT
02-15-2008, 13:35
I always stretch for atleast a minute or two before I go out. Even though its most likely not necessary, my muscles feel good after stretching.

aboman
02-19-2008, 23:51
After fighting achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciatis, and a pile of leg cramps, I've learned to stretch calfs, hamstrings, etc when I stop. If I do I feel much better if I don't muscles get stiff & painful.

jrwiesz
02-20-2008, 03:42
Okay, I typed the word "stretching" into the search box, and a lot of posts came up about joint pain. Frankly, I don't feel like searching through them all for an answer. I'm starting the AT next month and am wondering how you guys stretch (and how often while hiking) to help AVOID injury and joint pain.

The stretches I usually do before walking/hiking are:
1) bending over and touching the ground
2) standing up straight and bending knee so that the back of the calf and back of the thigh touch, hand holding my ankle

Are there any others you would recommend? And yes, I know stretches are kinda hard to describe...

I think the site Kiyu pointed to is correct.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/stretching.html

Notice stretching is after the work-out, not prior.
Warm-up, flexibility exercises, walk, cool down, STRETCH.

I've always employed this method with lifting weights, running, or walking, etc.:sun

tlw08
02-20-2008, 09:58
Some great resources on this page. Thanks all.

Another great book that has an extensive preview (~1/2 of the book) on google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cL81OPBRtZkC&printsec=frontcover

Jason of the Woods
02-20-2008, 10:05
I spent many years playing different sports. The thing that I was always told was to start off slow with any activity and that is the best "stretching". The exception to that would be when I wrestled. We did a LOT of stretching.

scavenger
02-20-2008, 10:29
I know stretching few times through the day makes a huge difference for me. Maybe if more hikers stretched they wouldn't need to take "Vitamin I" so regularly...

tx.katie.finch
02-24-2008, 10:58
I do a bit of yoga. It's not something too many guys are willing to try, but it feels great and hits just about every muscle group. I've also found that it reduces cramping.

Lyle
02-24-2008, 11:42
I generally try to do some stretching before setting out each morning. I know it helps the Achilles' tendon and probably the lower back - two of my major concerns. A few toe touches, lunges, thighs, torso twists. Generally just working the kinks our from overnight.

Chaco Taco
02-24-2008, 11:51
I do a bit of yoga. It's not something too many guys are willing to try, but it feels great and hits just about every muscle group. I've also found that it reduces cramping.

have just recently discovered Yoga and plan on incorporating it into my morning routine on my hikes. I have more energy, I am becoming more flexible each day and cramps are occuring less and less. I do about 8 poses over about 45 min. Also helps to slow me down and remember each day why i am out.:banana

Doctari
02-24-2008, 16:57
I try to stretch every morning, especially if Im going to do alot of activity, like: Dancing, or hiking. I don't think it helps much that day, but I REALLY notice it the next day, especially if Im doing more of the same.

Sorry, I can't list what I do here very well, hard to discribe. First warm up as mentioned above. Then I gently stretch all the moving parts without bouncing.