PDA

View Full Version : Sleeveless Shirts....

88BlueGT
02-13-2008, 03:17
Who makes a good sleeveless shirt? I seen that GoLite has their drimove lite sleeveless but they dont recommend it for backpacking use (for some reason I dont know but I will take their word for it). I checked Patagonia, north face, golite, etc. and noone has anything. Thanks guys.

Footslogger
02-13-2008, 10:14
Who makes a good sleeveless shirt? I seen that GoLite has their drimove lite sleeveless but they dont recommend it for backpacking use (for some reason I dont know but I will take their word for it). I checked Patagonia, north face, golite, etc. and noone has anything. Thanks guys.

==================================

During my 2003 thru I found some at Harpers Ferry Outfitter made by DuoFold. Last year we hiked from Rangeley to Gorham and I found 2 more at a little sports (Runners Wear) in Gorham made under the Asics name. Pretty near identical shirts. Really light weight synthetic and quick drying.

'Slogger

Hooch
02-13-2008, 10:18
Maybe this (http://www.rei.com/Search.do?query=sleeveless+shirt&vcat=REI_SEARCH&cat=4500008&hist=query%2Csleeveless+shirt%5Ecat%2C4500008%3AMe n%27s) will help. Good luck. :D

envirodiver
02-13-2008, 19:05
The REI OXT shirt is great. Wicks well and drys very quick. I use them backpacking a lot. It is a kind of slick fabric similar to the feel of under armor.

Summit
02-13-2008, 19:10
The REI OXT shirt is great. Wicks well and drys very quick. I use them backpacking a lot. It is a kind of slick fabric similar to the feel of under armor.And they're reduced from $20 to $1.83!!! Only down side is white is only color option.

Auntie Mame
02-13-2008, 20:08
If you have a really sharp pair of scissors, any lightweight shirt with sleeves can be altered by cutting off the sleeves close to the shoulder seam. :banana

Summit
02-13-2008, 22:19
If you have a really sharp pair of scissors, any lightweight shirt with sleeves can be altered by cutting off the sleeves close to the shoulder seam. :bananaJust remember though that cotton is not a hiker's best friend! ;)

Tinker
02-13-2008, 23:05
I'd imagine that short sleeves keep the pack straps from rubbing bare flesh. That may be Golite's reasoning. It depends on your pack strap, back padding, and waistbelt, though. I've had packs that rubbed me raw (my old Gregory with the rubber mesh back), and others that were fine (my Golite Dawn and Gossamer Gear G4).
I think I'd stay away from sleeveless. One less place for bugs to get easy access to your tender flesh.

88BlueGT
02-14-2008, 02:45
I'm not sure on the exact terminology, but maybe something like a 1/4 sleeve or something. Something that just comes over the shoulder to prevent any rubbing from a complete sleeveless. I have a few in the closet that I wear during summer but they are all cotton.

88BlueGT
02-14-2008, 02:46
And yes that one deal on rei's site is amazing, for 1.83. but like you said, too bad they are white. Not a bad deal though just to wear around, not even for backpacking.

Marta
02-14-2008, 07:30
I started with a sleeveless shirt but traded it in for a shortsleeved one in Monson. Skin was chafing skin under my arms.

That said, I saw plenty of other people wearing sleeveless shirts.

Summit
02-14-2008, 07:37
Hey, when you pass 50, what doesn't chafe? :eek: :p :D

Alligator
02-14-2008, 08:51
I've bought sleeveless shirts (Sierratradingpost) and simply cut the sleeves off too. I don't have any chafing problems from wearing these.

The problem buying sleeveless is that yes they are sometimes hard to find and then when you do, you practically have to pay almost over again in shipping for what is a very inexpensive item. Then you have to add more gear to the order:D.

I'd sooner buy a white shirt for a toddler than buy one for backpacking. It's not going to stay white long;).

88BlueGT
02-14-2008, 12:03
I agree with many having problems with underarms, I'm going to look for some type of quarter sleeved shirt.

sheepdog
02-14-2008, 12:51
If anyone gives you any problems reqarding your sleeveless shirt remember. Larry the Cable Guy says " I got a right to bare arms, It's in the constitution" :D

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 13:01
I agree with many having problems with underarms, I'm going to look for some type of quarter sleeved shirt.

===============================

...and that is not a gender biased issue either !! I hiked with several women who wore sleeveless shirts or the so-called "tank tops" who had a LOT more underarm hair than I - - on my head OR in the pits.

'Slogger

88BlueGT
02-15-2008, 13:32
Ahhhhhhhhhh, the lovely scenery on the trail :rolleyes:

Almost There
02-15-2008, 13:52
Patagonia used to make some nice zip sleeveless shirts, it seems like women have tons of options here, but there aren't many made for men.

88BlueGT
02-15-2008, 15:30
Yea, that seems to be it. The men are getting left out of this ons :)

ric2hunt
02-15-2008, 20:53
Nike makes some great sleeveless tees. A little extra but last. I have used them for the last three years - No chaffing -no stink - and no bugs.

Marta
02-15-2008, 20:58
===============================

...and that is not a gender biased issue either !! I hiked with several women who wore sleeveless shirts or the so-called "tank tops" who had a LOT more underarm hair than I - - on my head OR in the pits.

'Slogger

Yeah, it wasn't a hair/stubble issue for me...I think it was a flab issue. It might not have been a problem if the weather hadn't been so hot the first week or so. For me, sleeves work better than no sleeves. Shorts work better than a skirt. Wicking fabrics work their wicked magic.

Fiddleback
02-22-2008, 15:14
Take a look at Zyflex @ http://www.zyflexsportswear.com/perfgear.html

I've long used their thermal shirt...it gives me fair wet- and wind resistance when I'm playing with my snowblower and 800' of driveway.:sun

But I just received a couple of their performance dry short sleeve shirts and I love 'em! When I went online to order some long sleeves I discovered they also have sleeveless (compression or loose fit in all models). I just wore my s/s for the first time, doing some yard clean-up in 31° temps...it was great and all I needed. I foresee a long and happy relationship on the trail.:D

My medium size, short sleeve weighs 4oz...the sleeveless is listed at 3.5oz.

Zyflex is a Virginia company...something youse AT'ers might appreciate!

FB

Wags
02-22-2008, 16:00
under armour. expensive but works awesome, is super light weight, wicks all moisture, dries super fast...

Fiddleback
03-19-2008, 15:07
Add Duluth Trading Co. to the list (duluthtrading.com). Their catalog shows both cotton and polyester sleeveless shirts, $12.50 and $17.50 respectively.

FB

Fiddleback
05-14-2008, 16:21
Take a look at Zyflex @ http://www.zyflexsportswear.com/perfgear.html

I've long used their thermal shirt...it gives me fair wet- and wind resistance when I'm playing with my snowblower and 800' of driveway.:sun

But I just received a couple of their performance dry short sleeve shirts and I love 'em! When I went online to order some long sleeves I discovered they also have sleeveless (compression or loose fit in all models). I just wore my s/s for the first time, doing some yard clean-up in 31° temps...it was great and all I needed. I foresee a long and happy relationship on the trail.:D

My medium size, short sleeve weighs 4oz...the sleeveless is listed at 3.5oz.

Zyflex is a Virginia company...something youse AT'ers might appreciate!

FB

Got this today in my email:
Zyflex Performance Power Sleeveless Shirts

Performance Compression Shirts (wlmailhtml:{954B3AFB-BCAD-43D2-91AA-80AC18B2ED86}mid://00000042/!x-usc:http://bme1.net/link/redirect.asp?g=0&c=223776&l=84289092&[email protected]&url=http://www.zyflexsportswear.com/products/powerslvlessshirt.html)

* High Tech Moisture Wicking Fabric

* Compression Fit Increases Stamina
Available in 6 colors! (wlmailhtml:{954B3AFB-BCAD-43D2-91AA-80AC18B2ED86}mid://00000042/!x-usc:http://bme1.net/link/redirect.asp?g=0&c=223776&l=84289092&[email protected]&url=http://www.zyflexsportswear.com/products/powerslvlessshirt.html)
Regular Price: $24.99
Sale Price: $9.99
You Save: $15 per shirt

* Ideal for tough workouts, running and almost any sport

* Extremely Durable Fabric.

Offer is good on a first-come first served basis while promotional quantities are available. zyflex.com

FB

sofaking
05-14-2008, 16:25
If anyone gives you any problems reqarding your sleeveless shirt remember. Larry the Cable Guy says " I got a right to bare arms, It's in the constitution" :D
now that there is funny, i don't... yeah, those guys need another special...