PDA

View Full Version : general delivery

Peanut
02-13-2008, 10:43
I know that I can send a box c/o general delivery with my name and estimated time of arrival, for pickup along the way, within a time frame...does this also apply to envelopes? For instance, if someone wanted to send me a card or something else? Thanks!

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 10:47
yes. same thing

Peanut
02-13-2008, 11:25
thanks, friend

fivel
02-13-2008, 14:00
another question on this:
do you have to know to ask for the mail?
what i mean is, for example, if you sent a package to yourself and you asked for it at the counter, but your mom also sent you a letter, and you didn't know to ask for it, would the p.o. give you both?

hobojoe
02-13-2008, 14:01
what i mean is, for example, if you sent a package to yourself and you asked for it at the counter, but your mom also sent you a letter, and you didn't know to ask for it, would the p.o. give you both?
Yes, more than likley.

Appalachian Tater
02-13-2008, 14:04
what i mean is, for example, if you sent a package to yourself and you asked for it at the counter, but your mom also sent you a letter, and you didn't know to ask for it, would the p.o. give you both?In theory, yes, most Post Office employees will check with the packages and with the letters, which are frequently kept separate, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for letters and packages. Make sure they are addressed to your real name instead of your trail name and that you have identification.

Also be aware that although Post Office employees along the trail are very familiar with general delivery, they might not be elsewhere.

jbentley
02-13-2008, 22:35
take it from a postal worker. if you don't ask for it, your odds of getting it are slim.

Blissful
02-13-2008, 22:44
Depends on the PO. Some I know kept lists of GD people (saw mine on a list and teh # of parcels). Esp if you put on there - hold for AT hiker. Most of these places know hikers and their mail. I'd be sure to add you're an Appalachian Trail thru hiker on the pkg or letter (and let your relatives know).

Auntie Mame
02-13-2008, 23:29
From my experience sending occasional (10 or so in 2000 miles) boxes to a hiking partner on trail last season, post offices lost or could not find his pkg.s far more often than chance would suggest. Made me think that thru hiker stuff must be a royal PITA for them, cluttering up the works, and the employees have nothing to say about it. The advice made elsewhere to send parcels and mail to lodgings or outfitters who agree in advance to hold your items is good advice. I also heard that many PO's don't accept general delivery anymore. Good luck.

ofthearth
02-14-2008, 09:14
From my experience sending occasional (10 or so in 2000 miles) boxes to a hiking partner on trail last season, post offices lost or could not find his pkg.s far more often than chance would suggest. Made me think that thru hiker stuff must be a royal PITA for them, cluttering up the works, and the employees have nothing to say about it. The advice made elsewhere to send parcels and mail to lodgings or outfitters who agree in advance to hold your items is good advice. I also heard that many PO's don't accept general delivery anymore. Good luck.

Can anybody else comment on this expericnce. Thinking of doing the AT this year and see where this could be a real problem if you're really counting on a resupply.

tia
ofthearth

atraildreamer
02-14-2008, 11:34
I see where the Post office is offering a $8.95 priority mail option. Whatever you can get into the box sent for $8.95. Anyone use this, and what did you manage to stuff into the parcel? (Maybe we can have a contest..see who can get the maximum into one of these boxes?)

jbentley
02-14-2008, 22:09
Can anybody else comment on this expericnce. Thinking of doing the AT this year and see where this could be a real problem if you're really counting on a resupply.

tia
ofthearth
did 900 miles of the trail in 2004. mail drops approx. every 5-7 days. no problems sending general delivery, recieved every box. but i work at the PO, rural carrier, and from what i know about the way things work at the window of a PO, if you come in and ask for a box sent general delivery that is what they will go and look for. a box. so if you think that someone may have sent you something, to be safe you need to tell the person at the window that you could have more than one box and even a letter. it's easy to ask and that way you know they will look. never assume. people that work at the PO are like anybody else. somethimes we all forget to think. and it's helpful if somebody reminds us. now that said i'm going back this year for about six weeks and i would never do mail resupply again. having to be someplace at a certain time, not open holidays, sundays, after noon on sat. some places, or after 5:30, got where it sucked