PDA

View Full Version : bouillon

beckyjean
02-13-2008, 10:44
how would you convert powdered bouillon cubes to powder..
if a recipe calls for 1/2 tablespoon of beef bouillon, and you have the cubes.. is it the same?
??

Alligator
02-13-2008, 10:56
I'd check the granulated types to see how much 1 tsp makes (cups of broth). One bouillon cube usually makes one cup of broth. I'm thinking you might need half a cube, but I don't use the granulated. Occasionally some companies make larger cubes also, Knorr for instance.

Appalachian Tater
02-13-2008, 11:39
What Alligator said. Both a normal cube and a teaspoon make a cup. Just read the package. Most of the time, you don't have to be exact anyway, just don't get it too salty.

sarbar
02-13-2008, 14:47
Yep. 1 cube is usually 1 tsp. Now though, if you buy some of the imported less salty version a cube can be 2 tsp worth - but it is obvious as the cube is huge.

Honestly though? The low sodium ones are better..and salt to taste :)

disquegolfer
02-18-2008, 11:18
There are many options better than boullion cubes. First they are low on sodium/MSG. More importantly, though, the taste difference is night and day. If you have never used one of the professionally prepared soup base products like Minor's or Redi-Base you are in for a very special treat.

Get some beef or chicken stock for starters and do a little experimenting in your kitchen. Find out what proportions make your taste buds sing. They double that amount for your trail meal because you will want seconds. Next time experiment a little. A tiny dab of Minor's bacon or ham base, for instance, can make an otherwise ho-hum dish spectacular.

Have fun!

Nearly Normal
02-19-2008, 11:30
You can buy the granules. Or you usetocould.

Smile
02-19-2008, 11:51
Has anybody tried those veggie bullion cubes? They are usually gooey when I have bought them in them in the past, not nice and hard like the beef ones. I wonder how long they last in a pack. :)

Froggy
02-19-2008, 12:19
"how would you convert powdered bouillon cubes to powder.."

Well, I use a hammer. Then I swear a bit while my dog cleans up the stuff that fell on the floor.

Bob S
02-19-2008, 12:46
how would you convert powdered bouillon cubes to powder..
if a recipe calls for 1/2 tablespoon of beef bouillon, and you have the cubes.. is it the same?
??

Smash it up into a powder.

One of the local dollar stores has this thing made to break pills into a powder for people that can’t seem to swallow a pill. My dad has one of these, it grinds the pill up very well, and it’s only $1.00.

Also you could fold it up in a cloth and hit it with a hammer to pulverize it.

Farr Away
02-20-2008, 15:26
Has anybody tried those veggie bullion cubes? They are usually gooey when I have bought them in them in the past, not nice and hard like the beef ones. I wonder how long they last in a pack. :)
I've tried them. The ones I got (something Ox or Ox something) were very hard, and not all that tasty. Other downside was the paper tended to stick to them as they got older, which since I didn't really like them...

I think I'll just stick to the vegetarian chicken broth granules. Really. This stuff exists; it is vegetarian, and it does taste like chicken. The last place I found it was the local food coop.

sarbar
02-20-2008, 15:51
A really tasty (and lower sodium) is Vogue Cuisine (http://www.voguecuisine.com/). Check in health food/natural foods stores for it :)