PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Hike the JMT?

View
02-13-2008, 13:28
Hey Everyone,

I am going to be hiking the JMT this summer. Anyone wanna join me? I have two permits! I will be starting on July 30th and hiking to Little Yosemite Valley (about 4 miles) for the first night (that is the permit I have). I am planning to hike around 10 miles a day. Staying the night at the Portal on August 24th. I am in no hurry and want to enjoy the hike.

I am 31, male, a teacher, and live in Michigan. I will also be doing a few shakedown hikes before the JMT.

View

Marta
02-13-2008, 13:35
Here's some unsolicited advice: assuming you find a hiking partner, when the two of you show up to get the paper permit at the ranger station, each of you should get your own. That way, if you separate, or if one of you drops out, you'll each have your own permit to carry with you.

I started last summer with someone I hadn't hiked with before. She quit...and her name was on the permit. Fortunately some other things came together and I was able to acquire another permit. (Don't ask--it's too complicated to explain.) Otherwise it would have been somewhere between extremely inconvenient and a big problem for me to continue hiking without her.

Have a great hike! It's an awesome trail.

View
02-13-2008, 23:42
That is a good idea - thank you.

Here's some unsolicited advice: assuming you find a hiking partner, when the two of you show up to get the paper permit at the ranger station, each of you should get your own. That way, if you separate, or if one of you drops out, you'll each have your own permit to carry with you.

I started last summer with someone I hadn't hiked with before. She quit...and her name was on the permit. Fortunately some other things came together and I was able to acquire another permit. (Don't ask--it's too complicated to explain.) Otherwise it would have been somewhere between extremely inconvenient and a big problem for me to continue hiking without her.

Have a great hike! It's an awesome trail.

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 07:47
Hey Everyone,

I am going to be hiking the JMT this summer. Anyone wanna join me? I have two permits! I will be starting on July 30th and hiking to Little Yosemite Valley (about 4 miles) for the first night (that is the permit I have). I am planning to hike around 10 miles a day. Staying the night at the Portal on August 24th. I am in no hurry and want to enjoy the hike.

I am 31, male, a teacher, and live in Michigan. I will also be doing a few shakedown hikes before the JMT.

View

My daughter & I have the exact same permit, so maybe I'll see you out there!

View
02-14-2008, 10:40
really? what are the chances of that?!!? Hope to see you out there. Always cool to see a whiteblazer when hiking.

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 10:52
really? what are the chances of that?!!? Hope to see you out there. Always cool to see a whiteblazer when hiking.

She starts college on August 18, so I might try and move up our start date. I'm thinking we'll take between 16-18 days to hike the trail. A start @ Tuolumne Meadows might have to happen. We'll see though... Hope to see you out there.

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 12:59
I just moved my permit up to a July 21 start, so we probably won't see one another. Have a great hike View!

Kerosene
02-14-2008, 14:00
Let me know where you're planning to do your shakedown hikes, View. I live in southeast Michigan and might join you for a day or three if my travel schedule allows.

View
02-14-2008, 16:04
Sounds good - I will let you know.

Let me know where you're planning to do your shakedown hikes, View. I live in southeast Michigan and might join you for a day or three if my travel schedule allows.

jnflas91
03-01-2009, 14:59
ah idk know when exact i start as when i start depends on when i finish hiking CO, If not i will see you on trail

Sly
03-01-2009, 15:05
ah idk know when exact i start as when i start depends on when i finish hiking CO, If not i will see you on trail

I doubt you'll be seeing anyone on this thread, you'll be a year late.

Phreak
03-01-2009, 16:56
I'm starting at Mt Whitney on the 6th or 7th of August. I'm sure we'll pass at some point.

karoberts
03-01-2009, 17:16
I'll see you out there. I am doing 6 weeks on the AT and then starting JMT (Southbound) on August 1. We are aiming for 15 miles/day.

Dogwood
03-01-2009, 18:07
You'll probably be anxious to get the JMT started, but if you are coming all the way from MI and/or you have never been to Yosemite Valley before and/or have not spent much time there CONSIDER getting there a day or two earlier because there are a lot of very scenic infrequently used trails right in the Yosemite Valley area that are easily accessible to the backpacking campsite there, some scenic day trips, and very worthy exhibits located there. There are pay showers, laundry services, abundant opportunites for food, including a buffet and well stocked med. sized somewhat reasonably priced grocery store, PO, free transportation to the Happy Isles TH, backcountry office where you can get your permit and up to date trail info, and inexpensive campsites off the beaten track at the backpacker's campground all within walking distance of each other or a short free bus ride.