PDA

View Full Version : camp shoes?

Tanya
02-13-2008, 14:10
I am one of those comfort-loving people who would love to change into something light and airy after a long day in Asolos.

What would be a good camp shoe?

This is a piece of equipment, on which I am willing to splurge.

all advice appreciated,

happy trails,
t.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 14:12
i don't use "camp shoes" but everybody else uses Crocs/Holey Soles/Nothinz type shoes

Hooch
02-13-2008, 14:15
Goo doold fashioned flip-flops available anywhere for a couple bucks and feather light. Anything much more than that is a waste of money, IMO. :D

Appalachian Tater
02-13-2008, 14:15
In my opinion the best camp shoes are $1.00 beach flip flops from a discount store. They are compact, light, are perfect around camp and for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night (easy on, easy off), are lightweight, non-absorbent, and make great shower shoes for hostels.

rafe
02-13-2008, 14:19
In my opinion the best camp shoes are $1.00 beach flip flops from a discount store.

That works, except that small matter of wanting socks on your feet at times. Another idea is a cheap pair of moccasins.

Appalachian Tater
02-13-2008, 14:22
That works, except that small matter of wanting socks on your feet at times. Another idea is a cheap pair of moccasins.

You can wear the cheap flip flops with socks if you don't pull the socks on tight around your toes, although I prefer to air my feet out when not actually wearing my hiking shoes.

Jason of the Woods
02-13-2008, 14:30
I use my Reef flip flops. They have been great even in cold temps.

bigcranky
02-13-2008, 15:02
Waldies/Crocs/Nothinz.

One advantage is that you can hike in them if you get really bad heel blisters.

Terry7
02-13-2008, 15:46
Holey Soles/Crocs. They are light,airy, and in a pinch you can hike in them to a trail head, if something happen to your boots. This happened to me.

bigmac_in
02-13-2008, 16:04
Don't need 'em, don't use 'em.

YeOldeBackpacker
02-13-2008, 16:07
Waldies

taildragger
02-13-2008, 16:25
my calloused feet work real well

tlw08
02-20-2008, 09:50
those with feet issues may enjoy the structure and support of crocs vs $1.00 flip flops

that being said they do weigh more.

wrongway_08
02-20-2008, 10:05
Just picked up a pair of Nike flops at Dicks Sporting Good. They weighed only 7.70oz for the pair. Cost was $20.00. These flops have a wide support that goes across the top of your foot, not that little holder that rubs between your toes.

They have a nice solid sole that your dont feel all the small rocks and branches while walking around.

Made out of rubber, so they clean easily.

vonfrick
02-20-2008, 10:30
have to agree with the point about socks, and i never liked havin' that strap thing between my toes. last spring i found knock-off crocs for 5 bucks at a local hardware store- very woolworths kind of place- keep your eyes peeled. i think the real ones are overpriced and i wear these all the time now. soooo comfy and i am on my feet all day at work in them.

whiterockjock
02-20-2008, 10:34
I hike in Chacos,camp in Chacos,shower in Chacos,creekcross in Chacos....maybe I should get some thick heavy stiff leather boots for camp wear???

neversink
02-20-2008, 10:42
I like a nice pair of keens... Lightweight, they have some support (so they can be hiked in, in case of emergency), decent soles, socks can be worn with them, they are pricey but they don't fall apart, and they are great in water for river crossings....

I like to hike in broken-in leather hiking boots. They give me the most protection from sprained ankles. So for me, the extra weight is worth the trade off to protect those ankles.

Doughnut
02-20-2008, 10:55
Imitation Crocs from Walmart $5.00 Get a Bright color so you don't walk off and leave one. I had a $35 pair of crocs that were OD green, left on somewhere in NC, the other I threw in the trash at NOC.

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 11:45
I believe it was Brawny who came up with the idea of using cast-off insoles as shower/camp shoes. Just improvise a lace of sorts from cordage. Not easy on/off like shower flip flops but you could wear goretex socks with them and they would work in the cold.

Smile
02-20-2008, 11:56
Don't buy your flip-flops from WalMart - Chinese junk. This was also on local radios here that our govt has to be extra careful on these cheap imports from China - especially clothes - because the Chinese are using some strong but cheap chemical in their manufacturing process. Cheap can be expensive on your feet.

I have never used these type of flip-flops so don't know first hand :)

Click on the SNOPES link below, and there is a link to a website with some gross pictures of feet who have been affected.

Snopes Flip Flop Info (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/flipflop.asp)

Cindy from Indy
02-20-2008, 12:06
I want my camp shoes to double as my water crossing shoes. Any suggestions???

taildragger
02-20-2008, 12:17

I'd say sandals with good soles, something like a chaco. Hell, you can even hike in them if you get pissed at your shoes

Tanya
02-20-2008, 12:19
I went to EMS the other day to check out what all the fuss is about with Crocs. Well, I am sold! They are very light-weight and comfy. According to the description on Zappos, they would be just fine for water crossing:

These colorful clogs cover your feet yet provide proper ventilation letting air, sand, and water easily pass through the vents.
http://www.zappos.com/img/bluebullet.gifThese shoes even float and are perfect for boating, diving, water sports and beach wear.

happy trails,
t.

Tinker
02-20-2008, 12:25
If you have running shoes, you probably own the most comfortable, versatile camp shoes already.
You can not only wear them around camp, but also hiking if the terrain isn't too difficult.
Wear them in town.
Wear them crossing streams - they won't get sucked off your feet like slipper-type camp shoes.
They will, however, weigh more than some purpose made camp shoes, and they won't be much good in the shower.

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 13:28
If you wear Croc-like shoes, watch out on escalators:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=crocs+escalator

tx.katie.finch
02-22-2008, 22:35
I love my tevas. They're the 'old' version of the chacos. They've got thick soles so you don't feel everything through them, there's nothing between your toes, and they don't accidently slip off.

Kirby
02-26-2008, 07:29

Crocs work well.

Kirby

tucker0104
03-04-2008, 09:21
I have some cheap flip flops from Wal-Mart that feel great after a day of hiking in cramped shoes. I think anything would feel great but you have to worry about weight.

Lyle
03-04-2008, 09:46
I like crock rip-offs. Tried some light, soft-soled slippers when I first got into backpacking. In my opinion they didn't give much protection from rocks/roots.

I'm with those who like something that I could hike in for a day or two if necessary/desirable. Guess this is a hang-over from my HEAVY Vasque Hiker II days.
Carried cheap/light sneakers back then.

Anyway, now it's the Dollar General Crock type. More comfortable than real Crocks, lighter and durable.

Tipi Walter
03-04-2008, 09:52
I got with the Crocs when they first came out and have now become a sort of Crocophile. In the winter they make great camp shoes when the boots are wet and frozen, and the crocs seem warmer than the boots, even on snow.

The initial reason for getting crocs was to do creek crossings without soaking my boots or going barefoot. This probably won't be a major consideration on the AT but where I backpack there are a bunch of creek crossings and the crocs work great. Plus they don't seem to slip on the rocks like other footwear. I've even backpacked in the things for miles at a time and only once or twice did the heel strap pull away from the shoe. I carry extra black plastic snaps in case I lose 'em on the trail. In a pinch dental floss or string can be used to attach the strap for a field repair, etc.

Plus in the winter when there's snow on the ground and you want to take a lunch break, just whip out the crocs and sit on them. Like having your own sitpad.

Rcarver
03-04-2008, 10:38
The weight of camp shoes are worth it to me. I really like being able to wear something other then my hiking shoes when i am in camp. Crocs are a little bulky, but they are very comfortable for me.

Undershaft
03-04-2008, 13:35
The problem with flip-flops is the sole is only 1/4 inch thick. This sucks if your campsite is muddy or full of puddles. Your feet will be extra dirty. I used a pair of generic crocs ($5) that were bright lime green. Lightweight, easy to carry, hard to lose, and good for everything except actual trail hiking.

Panzer1
03-04-2008, 14:12
I'm now using Sanuk Sandals.

http://shopwiki.com/detail/d=sanuk_vagabond_shoe_-_men's/jumpToFirst=true/

they weigh 16.5 ounces, are very comfortable on the feet, have plenty of padding.

Panzer

Symbol
03-04-2008, 14:32
I used to wear Teva's but now opt for the lightness of crocs.

Boff
03-22-2008, 23:47
What about a pair of converse, mine have lasted ages are light (well i think they are) pack well and dry and clean easy in case they do get muddy/wet.

Erin
03-23-2008, 00:51
I have used flip flops and water socks but now I carry yellow crocs on my pack. Very comfortable, indestructable and warm with socks in cold temps too. Definitely can hike in them in a pinch.

Lyle
03-23-2008, 02:54
Dollar General - Imitation Crocks - $6 - lighter than the original - more comfortable than the original - been wearing the same pair daily for going on a year now, little sign of wear

88BlueGT
03-26-2008, 00:25
If you wear Croc-like shoes, watch out on escalators:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=crocs+escalator

Thank god theres no escalators on the trail :D

cyclendo
03-26-2008, 11:01
Thank god theres no escalators on the trail :D

NO escalators!?!

How are you supposed to get up the hills?

Wags
03-31-2008, 12:22
if it's going to be cool out i just take rubber soled mocassins. if warm, flip flops :D

CrumbSnatcher
03-31-2008, 13:51
I want my camp shoes to double as my water crossing shoes. Any suggestions??? my chacos are my hiking,creek crossing,in camp,in town, all purpose georgia to maine footwear
smartwool, seal skins, low cut gaiters. hiked barefoot,just socks or a combo of all 3 togeather.

CrumbSnatcher
03-31-2008, 14:02
I'd say sandals with good soles, something like a chaco. Hell, you can even hike in them if you get pissed at your shoes
you can hike in them even if you are not pissed at your shoes,except for needing strong ankles they are great to hike in,they weigh more than trail runners so IMO i wouldn't carry them around for just camp shoes.i never had another blister after switching from boot to sandel. most peoples feet sweat inside boots,sandels work just the opposite on me,my feet dry out a little.then i'll lotion them or keep my seal skins on all day to get the moisture back. the best part, i can stand in a creek cool off my feet and never get my feet wet. and so comfortable around camp i wouldn't notice i still had them on till bedtime after dinner,chores,campfire etc...