PDA

View Full Version : New to the AT, Looking for advice on States

ABarganier
02-13-2008, 16:31
My Dad and I have decided to go out this summer for a week or two to hike the AT. I live in NY by the way. Now we were thinking of doing either Maine or NH. So my question is, are these two states good for beginners? I'm in excellent shape, but my dad...not so much. I also would like to know what would be a good miles-per-day would be for us to set since my dad isn't in the best of shape. I want to make sure he can keep up with me, or at least make it to the shelter before dark. I was thinking 10. Do you think this is too much? Thanks for bearing with my newbieness. I'm really excited to get into the AT.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 16:38
about the best scenery on the AT but may be a little too rugged for beginners but 8-10 miles a day is doable

A-Train
02-13-2008, 16:44
I wouldn't take your dad to Maine or NH if he's in bad shape. Even 8-10 miles a day could be a bit much. If you really want to be up in the Whites of NH, day hike from hut to hut with the Appalachian Mountain Club.

I'd start in Pawling NY near the NY/CT border and work your way north towards Mass and Vermont. Good beginner section, easy miles, lots of opportunities for real food, people, etc.

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2008, 16:50
I think A-Train's suggestion is an excellent one.

The New Jersey section is also nice, plenty of good places to camp and lots of wildlife. Closer to where you live, the stretch south and north of Bear Mountain is also very nice. Save NH and Maine for when you're a bit more experienced and you'll likely have a better time there.

rafe
02-13-2008, 16:53
We used to struggle to do 8-10 miles/day in the Whites -- but that was with 50 lb. packs. The vertical changes are about as extreme as anything you'll find on the AT, and switchbacks are nonexistent. A-Train's suggestion is a good one, IMO. The AT section thru Vermont (Long Trail, really) is fairly mellow and scenic.

fiddlehead
02-13-2008, 17:05
I'd go to Maine. A little easier than the whites (most of Maine) but more wild, with less people. But I'd wait until spring is well over as they get a lot of rain. (and bugs)

Maybe from Stratton to Caratunk. (has the Bigelows and the famous Kennebec river in that section) Starts out with a big climb but then gets easier.
Or anywhere in Maine really.

If you want easy, you'll sacrifice beauty.

LIhikers
02-13-2008, 17:48
A-Train's suggestion is a good one, I was going to suggest CT.
You and your dad might want to do a couple of practice overnighters before going out for a week or two. Harriman State Park would be a good place for that. It's not far from Long Island and has got a lot of trails, including the AT, and a number of lean-to type shelters. That way you'll know how far you and your dad can cover in a day before setting out on your AT adventure. You can get hiking maps for Harriman from the NY/NJ Trail Conference www.nynjtc.org/ (http://www.nynjtc.org/) If you'd like more specific info about Harriman feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Kerosene
02-13-2008, 19:19
I'll chime in with another vote for somewhere between Unionville, NY and Killington, VT. A 10 mpd average should be very achievable as long as you can keep your packs below 35 pounds (below 30 preferred). True, you won't get the same sort of awe-inspiring views you'll get above treeline in the Whites, but your dad will enjoy the trip more and you'll get a better sense of how to do an extended backpacking trip.

Tinker
02-13-2008, 22:42
The Vermont section from the Mass. line to Rte 4 (Inn at Long Trail) would be my suggestion for beginner hikers. Stratton Mt. was a little tough for me (did it on a hot July day), as was the climb along the shoulder of Killington. Other than that, I can't remember any really tough climbs. Stratton Pond and Little Rock pond are wonderful for swimming (caretakers charge a fee at both for camping).
Work up to NH and Maine. Both are tough (though southern NH isn't too bad, and Me between Caratunk and Monson is moderate and scenic).

Blissful
02-13-2008, 22:46
Ditto - Vermont is a great state. I'd do that part of New England. I was pleasantly surprised.

ABarganier
02-13-2008, 23:23
Well thanks for all of the informative replys guys. However I just realized that my summer job wont allow for any AT adventures more than 2 days :-( . I am going to go next summer though and do around 5-600 miles with buff_jeff (he posts on here). I think we will be doing NH and Maine. Hes fairly experienced with the AT and he section hikes, so itll be a good learning experience. Once again thank you for your replies. I will hike the AT, unfortunately it wont be this summer... Might also get in a winter hike with buff_jeff in NJ!

Tennessee Viking
02-14-2008, 00:47
My Dad and I have decided to go out this summer for a week or two to hike the AT. I live in NY by the way. Now we were thinking of doing either Maine or NH. So my question is, are these two states good for beginners? I'm in excellent shape, but my dad...not so much. I also would like to know what would be a good miles-per-day would be for us to set since my dad isn't in the best of shape. I want to make sure he can keep up with me, or at least make it to the shelter before dark. I was thinking 10. Do you think this is too much? Thanks for bearing with my newbieness. I'm really excited to get into the AT.
There are few sections in the north that are not too bad. But generally the northern sections are rough and rocky.

If you really want to try beginner sections on the AT. Look to the south. AT is generally more solid dirt trail. And great ridgetops. Smokies I wouldn't recommend right off the bat. There are a few rocky and steep sections. But there are some great ridge tops there.

I would recommend probably base in Hot Springs, Erwin, Hampton, or Damascus. Iron and Holston ridges have some best long ridge runs. The Balds, Unaka and Roan have some of the best views. Carvers Gap to 19E is probably the most popular weekend trek around.