PDA

View Full Version : How to spend your last day...

A-Train
02-13-2008, 16:38
Ok, we need to loosen up around here. Winter is growing long...

Simply, you've got one day left to spend hiking anywhere. You can plan to spend it anywhere around the world, AT or not, and it doesn't have to be a place you've already visited. Describe the day, and where will you camp? Who will you take along or will it be a solo venture?

Let your imagination run.

mudhead
02-13-2008, 16:54
Any chance you read Opus of late?

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 16:57
me and gypsy somewhere deep in Canyonlands NP

Alligator
02-13-2008, 17:04
I'm really not sure but as long as I'm hiking on my last day it'll do.

Hooch
02-13-2008, 17:05
I'd have to say I'd want to spend it with my son on top of Max Patch watching the sun set. I can't think of any other way I'd want to go than with the one I love more than anyone else.

wakapak
02-13-2008, 17:08
off the top of my head, first place that came to mind was being in the Himalayas...always wanted to go there!!

hobojoe
02-13-2008, 17:24
Miss Janet and I will start around 12 AM (to get the full benifit of the day) at Hump back rocks. Hit the bottle of crystal clear mt. water, take a smoke break to get my mind set. Start following fabian south down the ridge to overmountain shelter. When we get there I'll jam with a few old friends, Uncle silly, Lumber, gordie, Alabama, even tbc, my friends from NC, (AJ, Peter, Etc.) While we rock out Miss J is whipping up breakfast, Bs and Gs, pancakes ala frizbee. Fresh juice and yueng ling. As we all sit and chow down the sun rises in the valley as it often does at overmountain. When we're stuffed we all start traveling south down the trail. Giant grapefruits are growing from the flame azaleas, I pick one and bite into it like an apple. As I look down I realize my feet haven't touched the ground all day and I am wearing no shoes (how's that for leave no trace). As we float on down the trail the sun begins to change colors from blue to purple to blood red to clear. I reach up and warm my hands on the sun's surface. As i begin to ascend the mountain towards cloudland. When arive there stands Cloudland hotel just as it was in the late 1800's. General John T. Wilder is there and he invites us in for brandy and green tea ramen. Green T and Feral show up and begin to hike except a zipline has been built from roan to Unaka. I go ahead and skip some puds (and last years hardcore). Unaka is beautiful and the mountain lion greets us. As I aproach beauty spot I notice red blazes. This can mean only one thing, More drinking eating partying. I then pass out in the grass while looking over the stunning erwin skyline. I didn't do much hiking, huh?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-13-2008, 17:34
I'm going to Angels Landing in Zion National Park (http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-angels-landing-trail.htm), Utah, for a day-hike with He-Dino and then I'm getting a cabin with a hot tub big enough for two frisky Dinos. Man does not live by hiking alone. :D

Alternative plan: Do an ultralight plane trip to all the best waterfalls in Hawaii and then camp along one of it's pristine streams in the forest - again with He-Dino.

Jason of the Woods
02-13-2008, 17:36
I would go for Everest. I don't know if I could get anyone to go with me.;)

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 17:36
I'm going to Angels Landing in Zion National Park (http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-angels-landing-trail.htm), Utah, .

been there, done that. scared the poo from me. it was icy

Frau
02-13-2008, 17:40
Back up Sulphur Springs Trail, then south on the AT via Marble Springs, around the short cut to Campbell's Branch Trail, and down Petite's Gap Road to yet revisit the last hike I took with my daughter the day before her death, one last time.

Frau

Mags
02-13-2008, 17:48
Franconia Ridge in NH.

It was my first hike ever.

That day is directly responsible for my current life.

Once looking over that ridge and towards the mountains that extended north, my life was never the same.

It will be a solo adventure.

leeki pole
02-13-2008, 18:08
Katahdin on a crystal clear September day. Solo, in memory of my hiking buddy who succumbed to cancer. He'll always be in my thoughts, and to climb Big K again would be sweet.

rafe
02-13-2008, 18:26
I'm going to Angels Landing in Zion National Park (http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-angels-landing-trail.htm)....

I was thinking of Angels Landing also, FD. I didn't have the stones to climb that last couple hundred feet. My palms are getting sweaty just thinking about it.

How about Katahdin's Knife Edge on a perfect day... just a wee bit less adrenaline. Barring that, Franconia Ridge, without the crowds. :D

LIhikers
02-13-2008, 18:26
Me and my wife someplace n Wrangell Saint Ellias National Park, Alaska.

Kerosene
02-13-2008, 19:26
Maybe Machu Picchu, solo.

http://www.losmejoresdestinos.com/destinos/peru/machu_picchu/machu_picchu.jpg

wrongway_08
02-13-2008, 19:50
Death Valley CA :sun

Would be great to head out there again and explore more. Would go it alone.... not too many people would think of this as a dream vacation.

My dad and I hiked a small part of Death Valley for one day when I was around 10. Would love to head deeper into the valley and get to the really remote areas.

Really a neat area, you can see for miles and so much to look at.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/california/photographs450/golden4.jpg (http://www.americansouthwest.net/california/death_valley/golden4_l.html)

Bearpaw
02-13-2008, 19:51
Grand Teton NP, Northeast corner of Alaska Basin, on the ridge looking down on Classroom Glacier, with the Grand and little buddies just behind. The most incredible trail moment I've ever experienced...........

Marta
02-13-2008, 22:05
Wake up in the tea house and have some sort of weird breakfast, possibly rice gruel. Hot tea. Hike towards Mt. Everest, breathing deeply in the thin, cold air. It's a clear day and the sky is a deep, deep blue. I end up at Everest base camp, dreaming crazy high-altitude dreams in my tent.

zoidfu
02-13-2008, 22:09
The Grand Canyon. Did it once on foot and once on a donkey. Best time I ever had and I can't wait to take the girlfriend there.

Blissful
02-13-2008, 22:40
If I could only do it physically, had the skill, the nerve and the $$$ - Mt. Everest, top of the world.

River Runner
02-13-2008, 22:50
The location wouldn't really matter as long as it was in the woods with a few mountain views. I'd spend the time with my two grandsons, enjoying watching them get a kick out of hiking and camping.

tazie
02-13-2008, 23:26
Simply, you've got one day left to spend hiking anywhere. Let your imagination run.

Just me and my 3 kids, probably Red River, New Mexico or Palo Duro Canyon, TX. Hiked there when they were little and very fond memories. As long as they were with me, and we're outside and can share one last sunset, heck, that would make it all worthwhile. What a sweet question- kinda sad, tugs at the heartstrings and puts a tear in my eye... thanks everyone for sharing your special moment. Thanks A-train for asking, you're a good egg :)

dixicritter
02-13-2008, 23:27
The location wouldn't matter to me as long as I were able to spend my last day hiking with SGT Rock, Dead Man Walking and Creek Hopper.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 23:29
The location wouldn't matter to me as long as I were able to spend my last day hiking with SGT Rock, Dead Man Walking and Creek Hopper.

bless you heart :)
bella too?

warraghiyagey
02-14-2008, 02:10
I'd take the hand of the girl I love and miss so much. We'd hike up Bare Hill as we always did, and enjoy what it offers, as it always does. Her children would gather around our fire and shine their stories, thoughts and love into the grass, the trees and into time, never fearing, for our proximity and it's warmth.

Nearly Normal
02-14-2008, 02:31
About two thirds the way up the Cascade Trail at one of the alpine glades in the Tetons. The one with the Pebbled beach and creek full of cutthroats.
or
Soaking in the Gardiner River where the hot sping runs into it at the 56th parralell in Yellowstone.
I'd have to flip a coin.

dixicritter
02-14-2008, 11:48
bless you heart :)
bella too?

Of course... probably have to carry her though... LOL

Red Hat
02-14-2008, 12:00
Tough decision, hike or spend my last day with my husband... Somehow, I'd figure out how to do both, since he can't hike. Maybe hike a bit in the Smokies and meet him at Fontana for the afternoon and evening on the lake. It could be anywhere, but there would have to be a lake for him.