PDA

View Full Version : pack liner

Stir Fry
02-13-2008, 18:30
Anyone ever use Sil-nilon to make a waterproof pack liner.

envirodiver
02-13-2008, 18:31
Trash compactor bags work great. I've never had my gear get wet when using one of these and they are tough.

Stir Fry
02-13-2008, 18:33
Trash compactor bags work great. I've never had my gear get wet when using one of these and they are tough.
How hard is it to adjust there size, or do they come in diferant sizes.

Footslogger
02-13-2008, 18:34
Anyone ever use Sil-nilon to make a waterproof pack liner.

============================================

I tried one and didn't like it. I was in the Sierra Trading Post outlet a year or so ago and saw some really huge silnylon stuff sacks made by GoLite on sale for a few bucks. Bought one and shoved it in my GG Vapor Trail. Datgawn thing was too slipppery and flimsy. Ended up using it to store my tent while not on the trail.

I went back to the trusty old plastic trash compactor bag that got me from Springer to Katahdin in 2003.

Your experience might be different but I just had a really hard time putting things in and taking them out of the silnylon one.

'Slogger

envirodiver
02-13-2008, 18:36
They come in 1 size.

If it is too big I just roll the top over, you could also cut some of the length off of the top.

Stir Fry
02-13-2008, 18:38
They come in 1 size.

If it is too big I just roll the top over, you could also cut some of the length off of the top.
Thanks I'll try them.

trekkngirl
02-13-2008, 19:55
hmmm...I'll try the compactor bags myself..I'd tried the regular trash bags and hated them..too flemsy and tore easily..thanks for the thread :)

Footslogger
02-13-2008, 19:59
hmmm...I'll try the compactor bags myself..I'd tried the regular trash bags and hated them..too flemsy and tore easily..thanks for the thread :)

==============================

Just so you know ...WalMart doesn't shelf them with the other kitchen plastic bags (at least our doesn't). They have them over in housewares, on an isle close to the vacuum cleaners and related stuff. I discovered that after just about giving up on finding them. Oh yeah, and no one else in the store had even heard of them.

The ones I buy come in a roll of 10 or 12 and cost around $6.99. One bag lasted me almost my entire thru in 2003. I kept a couple in my bounce box just in case. They are a lot thicker than regular kitchen trashbags and the white color makes it a bit easier to see into your pack to find things.

'Slogger

fehchet
02-13-2008, 20:06
I like the trash compactor bags because they are white -- well the one I have is white and it makes easy to look in to the bag for stuff.

fehchet
02-13-2008, 20:08
They are strong too.

trekkngirl
02-13-2008, 20:31
Thanks Slogger..you saved me a tantrum...;)

Over Yonder
02-13-2008, 20:48
also if you bring along an extra bag they make excellent bag covers overnight.. thus keeping your stuff and bag dry. ALSO if it is rainy or snowy in a shelter you can put the bottom of your sleeping bag in one and thus your feet stay dry in a blowing wind. (only works if your feet face out haha;))

Tinker
02-13-2008, 22:33
You can bring two trash bags and make an emergency vapor barrier by poking the bottom out of one and duct taping it to the other if the temperatures get well below the rating of your sleeping bag.
Another thing you could do is to buy a vapor barrier (usually made of silnylon, available from Oware, among other places) and use it as a pack liner. Of course, it does double duty then.

Bare Bear
02-14-2008, 15:16
3 mil thick yard bags come in black or orange and are about 50 cents each but you have to buy a box...to share with your hiker friedns.

Terry7
02-14-2008, 17:34
One day I am looking over my gear and think, I should get a couple of water proof stuff sacks, then it hits me, why should I ever get a stuff sack that is not water proof? I keep everything in stuff sacks anyway, so from now on only water proof stuff sacks. O, right the thread was about pack liners, if all your gear is in w.p. stuff sacks then you do not need a liner. I would use a rain cover.

envirodiver
02-14-2008, 17:37
However, if your stuff is in a waterproof pack liner, you don't need waterproof stuff sacks or a pack cover. Which one save the most money and weight?

Terry7
02-14-2008, 17:49
However, if your stuff is in a waterproof pack liner, you don't need waterproof stuff sacks or a pack cover. Which one save the most money and weight?
Water proof stuff sacks weigh less than regular stuff sacks, you may spend more money but I do that alot to save weight. You need a pack cover because all most any pack will soak up water and get heavey real fast in a down poor.

Lilred
02-14-2008, 17:56
Most backpacks come with a hole somewhere in the bottom of them so that water can drain out if it gets in your pack. If you add a garbage bag liner, and water gets in, your stuff is now swimming in water. Poke a couple of holes in the bottom of those trash bags before lining. Those that say you don't need a pack cover when you have a garbage bag liner must enjoy heavy packs, cause that's what you'll get if you let your pack soak up the water. Sea to Summit sells a great pack cover. it's not lightweight, but it has never let me down keeping my pack dry. It's more important for me to have a dry pack, then to save a couple of ounces. Those sil nylon pack covers are pretty much useless. Any tree branch will snag it right off your pack easily. It was a common complaint of thru hikers when I stopped in at Neel's Gap. Seemed everyone was trying to replace the sil nylon covers.

GGS2
02-14-2008, 18:28
Bring a small stash of heavy poly sacks and use them to pack garbage out to the nearest trailhead. :) You can use your current liner, and replace it with a new one from the stash. :cool:

RenoRoamer
02-14-2008, 22:19
Silnylon is NOT waterproof when used as stuff sacks, pack liners etc. Problem is that water can be forced thru under pressure, even fairly light pressure. Silnylon is only waterproof when there is minimal hydrostatic pressure on it (tarps, ponchos, pack covers, etc).

take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 23:34
Most backpacks come with a hole somewhere in the bottom of them so that water can drain out if it gets in your pack. If you add a garbage bag liner, and water gets in, your stuff is now swimming in water. Poke a couple of holes in the bottom of those trash bags before lining. Those that say you don't need a pack cover when you have a garbage bag liner must enjoy heavy packs, cause that's what you'll get if you let your pack soak up the water. Sea to Summit sells a great pack cover. it's not lightweight, but it has never let me down keeping my pack dry. It's more important for me to have a dry pack, then to save a couple of ounces. Those sil nylon pack covers are pretty much useless. Any tree branch will snag it right off your pack easily. It was a common complaint of thru hikers when I stopped in at Neel's Gap. Seemed everyone was trying to replace the sil nylon covers.

I noticed Etowah Outfitters sells urethane coated and sil pack covers.

Survivor Dave
02-14-2008, 23:53
Take-a-Knee,
Etowah makes those pack covers. They just slip on with a couple of clips attached to hook to your pack. I bought the one I will use, but found them a bit pricey. $25 for a cover that goes over my 3700 ci pack. It weighs next to nothing(about an ounce and a half or so). The cover for the pack cover is sewn on so it won't be lost.

SD

I noticed Etowah Outfitters sells urethane coated and sil pack covers.

MoBill122
02-15-2008, 12:46
Rather new to packbacking, but I was going to use what's called Space Bags to seal up my clothes, etc in my pack. Anyone have problems with these bags ?

Spoon