PDA

View Full Version : helping a charity through your thru

sloopjonboswell
02-13-2008, 21:51
this is something i wish i had thought/known more about last year. a local from here in winston salem raised $13,000 on her '07 sobo for the local humane society. a penny a mile. very awesome, last year, i met a hiker for cancer, a hiker for veterans rights, wish i wouldve done something similar. any '08ers walking for a cause?

Bearpaw
02-13-2008, 23:09
It's a noble idea, but I have to think it makes it pretty difficult to HYOH.

When I thru-hiked, I did it for me. No newspapers, no causes, just me hiking for me. I wouldn't want someone else dissecting my hike because of the donations they were making. If they want to support the cause, let them make a donation on their own terms instead of tying it to your hike.

What happens if you get injured? Major downer. You not only "failed" in your hike (and yes, I use the term failed despite the lengthy thread that debated this recently), but you failed your charity. Neither of us need that.

Hike your hike for you. It may be the greatest gift you will give yourself in this lifetime.

Tin Man
02-13-2008, 23:19
I agree with Bearpaw, plus I think too many who solicit donations are trying to justify their hike and their extended vacation by claiming they are doing it for charity. Enjoy the vacation and find another way to raise funds for your favorite charity when you return.

A-Train
02-14-2008, 00:05
I'll offer a different perspective to counter the last 2 posts. You certainly can thru-hike and raise awareness/money without it ruining the hike or pissing people off. I raised a couple thousand bucks last year for the non-profit I volunteered with in New Orleans, but did most of the work before hand, and let the rest unfold while I was hiking. This allowed me to do very little but hike, which was very enjoyable. I didn't solicit money on the trail at all, ask other hikers, and rarely mentioned it unless the topic came up or someone asked me flat out. Mostly I drew money from friends and family, and let them pass the word around about my hike. I never wanted to make anyone feel uncomfortable or feel obligated to donate. Certainly passing business cards out on the trail wouldn't be in the best taste.

I think it's totally doable, without sacrificing the personal enjoyment of the hike, and without disrupting the community flow on the trail. You've just gotta have a good game plan going in.

A-Train
02-14-2008, 00:06
I'll offer a different perspective to counter the last 2 posts. You certainly can thru-hike and raise awareness/money without it ruining the hike or pissing people off. I raised a couple thousand bucks last year for the non-profit I volunteered with in New Orleans, but did most of the work before hand, and let the rest unfold while I was hiking. This allowed me to do very little but hike, which was very enjoyable. I didn't solicit money on the trail at all, ask other hikers, and rarely mentioned it unless the topic came up or someone asked me flat out. Mostly I drew money from friends and family, and let them pass the word around about my hike. I never wanted to make anyone feel uncomfortable or feel obligated to donate. Certainly passing business cards out on the trail wouldn't be in the best taste.

I think it's totally doable, without sacrificing the personal enjoyment of the hike, and without disrupting the community flow on the trail. You've just gotta have a good game plan going in.

Additionally, all funds raised should go to the cause. I didn't take a cent for any of my own costs.

Tin Man
02-14-2008, 00:13

Additionally, all funds raised should go to the cause. I didn't take a cent for any of my own costs.

I agree it's doable. I see no issue with your approach.