PDA

View Full Version : Damascus, Va. (the friendly town)

Mountain Man
02-13-2008, 22:22
After reading another thread, I wanted to respond to it but it closed down before I got the chance too. So I'm starting this thread to voice how I feel about Damascus. So if you have some good things to say about Damascus put it here. Lets keep this thread friendly like Damascus is.:D

I've been to most of the towns up and down the AT from Maine to Ga. and I haven't had a bad experience yet. I had been to Damascus 3 before this past spring of 2007 so I new it was a great place. Hiking into town I stopped at the MRO and Jeff was very helpful and gave me some good advise of which I'm thankful. I stayed the first night at the Lazy Fox and was treated like family. I moved the next day over to Daves place and it was there that I ran into The Only Wanderer for the first time. He invited my hiking partner and myself to breakfast the next morning. When I got there the next morning I couldn't believe he spent so much time and money fixing breakfast for a couple of hikers that he barely new. Later on I ran into Lone Wolf who I had only met once before and he told be to stop by for a cold brew. I didn't get the chance to stop but it was the offer that counts and the next time I'm there it will be on me.
I was trying to get some money out of the ATM which I found out wasn't working when I met a local named Dennis. Without me asking he insists that we get in and let him take us up the road to one that works. After that he buys our supper and wouldn't take no for an answer. Even though we had already eat. I could go on and on about the good things that happened to me there. I've said before if I was looking for a place to live that Damascus would be at the top of my list.
Yeah I'm sure there is someone now and then that says or does something that somebody else don't like there but you'd have to be living under a rock to think that there is a town anywhere in the US that is perfect. Damascus is without a doubt the coolest town I've been too though.

zoidfu
02-13-2008, 22:23
I've never had a bad time in Damascus... Then again, I've never been there.

gumball
02-13-2008, 22:25
Damascus is one of my favorite towns, not just as a trail town. Neither of us were very sure why we liked it so much, but its a very comfortable place. We've been in Damascus for 3 to 4 visits. Nice people.

A-Train
02-13-2008, 23:01
The guy's who run the outfitter were great when I went thru. They switched out my Gregory hipbelt for FREE because I lost too much weight. Apparently they were doing that for lots of folks. It wasn't till I started working Outdoor Retail did I understand what a nice service that was, certainly not one they are obligated to do, gratis.

They seemed to be honestly helping folks improve their gear, not sell crap for the sake of selling it.

Both times I was there I had a pretty positive experience.

Wonder
02-13-2008, 23:06
That's why I moved here.....it's been less then a year, and I feel at home. Thanks for making me smile tonight!

maxNcathy
02-13-2008, 23:21
Both outfitters were very good to deal with as was everyone else we met there.We shall return.

Lone Wolf
02-13-2008, 23:25
i'm moving out. too many hateful, bigotted yankees here.

kidding :cool:

Ron Haven
02-13-2008, 23:54
Me and my family really loves going to Damascus.It is one of our favorite places.

I don't think :-? that you could be run off with a pack of heel hounds L.Wolf.

Bearpaw
02-14-2008, 00:01
Damscus was definitely one of the highlights of my thru-hike.

The Weasel
02-14-2008, 00:06
In a number of visits, I have never met a single person who was not gracious and enjoyable. Even the U.S. Marshall who came by The Place to look for two fugitives in '00 was very pleasant. Big guy. Huge honkin' gun. Very laid back.

TW

Roots
02-14-2008, 00:41
We ventured to Damascus years ago. We went there after hearing about the Creeper trail from a friend. We are not huge bikers, but we love to get on a bike and enjoy the day. We took our daughter and biked the Creeper from White Top Station to Damascus--17 miles--and loved it. Our daughter had her first wipe out on the trail (pretty tough one, too) but she was a trooper and kept riding with a gashed knee and elbow, about 7 more miles.

We love Damascus. We have been back since and look forward to hiking the trail into Damascus in May.

We haved camped at Hurricane campground and have gone up to Mt Rogers, by car, and knew when we got there that we wanted to hike through that section.

Can't wait till this spring!!!!!

Lugnut
02-14-2008, 00:42
Anyplace is what you make it, but it is easier to make it in Damascus. If I wasn't stuck here then I'd be there!

Tipi Walter
02-14-2008, 00:56
The ONLY DRAWBACK I can find with Damascus is that it is about 11 miles to Interstate 81. This draws in the wheeled tourists and other riffraff. And look what they did around Galax, VA-- put in a four lane hiway.

I used to go to Damascus every October thru the 1990s to attend a great Indian Powwow in a baseball field next to a big stone building. It was one of the best powwows ever, good dancers, great people and several tipis set up on the grounds.

Boone NC used to be what Damascus is now, back in the early 70s Boone was quiet with plenty of great camping spots. And Damascus was a short distance from Boone, too. I know people with money will eventually ruin Damascus, buy up all the land and make it impossible to afford even an acre for the rest of us. Enjoy it while it lasts. And if the govt. keeps selling off national forest land to pay for schools, well, Damascus might get developed pretty fast.

TOW
02-14-2008, 08:56
Mountain Man, thankyou for your comments about my town.

And TiPi I think that the Interstate is good for local tourism, it certainly brings much needed dollars into our community. In fact there has been talk lately in the local news that the exit to Damascus is being considered for a new shopping mall with the likes of Wal-Mart and Lowes..........

mweinstone
02-14-2008, 09:08
if my world collapsed, larrys couch would be my only refudge. in all the world i have no one to ask if i needed a home to live in. only the only wanderer ever offered me such a prize. our friendship would be strong if he didnt have a couch to offer me. the couch is about 23% of everything larry owns but it could be my home with a nod. in the blink of an eye if i ever needed help, damascus is where i would go. it is here i would call home if the city ever burnned me. if the tax man comes to get me or if my son becomes a tranny and i freak out. whatever the life crissis , i will find peace in damascus. back under the creeper bridge sitting down on the support, i could fish and think my troubles away with narry a worry. i would go to the church and ask to be a caretaker for a samich and do odd jobs to find my way. sometimes i might have to stay at wonders. shes got food.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 09:39
The ONLY DRAWBACK I can find with Damascus is that it is about 11 miles to Interstate 81. This draws in the wheeled tourists and other riffraff. And look what they did around Galax, VA-- put in a four lane hiway.

I used to go to Damascus every October thru the 1990s to attend a great Indian Powwow in a baseball field next to a big stone building. It was one of the best powwows ever, good dancers, great people and several tipis set up on the grounds.

Boone NC used to be what Damascus is now, back in the early 70s Boone was quiet with plenty of great camping spots. And Damascus was a short distance from Boone, too. I know people with money will eventually ruin Damascus, buy up all the land and make it impossible to afford even an acre for the rest of us. Enjoy it while it lasts. And if the govt. keeps selling off national forest land to pay for schools, well, Damascus might get developed pretty fast.

the only draw to damascus is the creeper trail and that's seasonal. the rest of the year things are quiet. folks with money will not ruin damascus. there is no acreage for sale in damascus. they come, they go

earlyriser26
02-14-2008, 09:41
I've been through damascus twice and both times I was stopped by locals asking if I needed help finding anything. MRO is very handy too. Next to Monson, this is my favorite trail town.

Terry7
02-14-2008, 09:44
After 30 years in Fort Lauderdale, I hit the trail for the first time [I had never heard of it until last year] I left to find a new home. I read all the books and being a southern man I thought that Hot Springs or Damascus would be my new home. Both towns are great but when I came thru Damascus I had a sore foot and needed to zero for a few days. I met The Only Wonderer the next morning and he invited me to stay. I met so many nice people that week. I went on to hike 2 more months and when it started to get cold, I called TOW and asked if he wanted to rent a room for the winter. Lord willing, I plan to spend many more winters here. There is one guy who slams Damascus every chance he gets and he does not even live here, so to him I say give it a rest.

Jason of the Woods
02-14-2008, 09:52
Awe positive stuff. Now that's good.

rafe
02-14-2008, 10:09
Fond memories of Damascus, trail daze 1990. LW and Annie, Lagunatic, Hobbit, Cosmic, Wizard... et. al. Drinking beer in Gladys' yard next to The Place. Bluegrass playing from the porch of the Yates family home. Spaghetti dinner at the high school. Talent show... Annie sang, lots of good tunes, juggling and skits. Bill Irwin at the ice cream place. A wedding (or did I imagine that part?) Leaving town on the Creeper with LW, Freebird and Indiana Dan. Leaving town again, a few days later, in a car, in the rain...

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:12
Fond memories of Damascus, trail daze 1990. LW and Annie, Lagunatic, Hobbit, Cosmic, Wizard... et. al. Drinking beer in Gladys' yard next to The Place. Bluegrass playing from the porch of the Yates family home. Spaghetti dinner at the high school. Talent show... Annie sang, lots of good tunes, juggling and skits. Bill Irwin at the ice cream place. A wedding (or did I imagine that part?) Leaving town on the Creeper with LW, Freebird and Indiana Dan. Leaving town again, a few days later, in a car, in the rain...

them were the days..
you would NOT like Trail Days now

jersey joe
02-14-2008, 10:57
Folks are generally more friendly in the south, Damascus was no exception.
"The Place" is a huge bonus for hikers.
You can pretty much walk to either end of the town from The Place in five minutes.
The town is also asthetically pleasing.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:58
"The Place" is a huge bonus for hikers.

too bad it's abused by a lot of users

jersey joe
02-14-2008, 11:01
most free services are

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 11:05
The Place ain't free. They ask for a $4 donation. Many do not put anything in the money box. But there are those that put extra in the box and clean up and wash towels making up for the freeloaders

RadioFreq
02-14-2008, 11:12
I'm sitting here reading all these warm and fuzzy reflections on Damascus when it suddenly occurs to me....this just sounds too good to be true. How can anyplace be this nice? The sceptic in me is not convinced. Maybe all these kudos for Damascus are just some Internet plot by the local Chamber of Commerce to lure unsuspecting thruhikers into this "tourist trap" (no, wait....make that "thruhiker trap") where they can syphon from their wallets the unlimited ammounts of cash that we all know every hiker carries. I will have to wait until I actually arrive there on my thruhike and warily find out for myself. :-?

But THEN it occurs to me......what if it's true? What if Damascus really IS as nice as everyone says? How is this possible? Is there something in the water? :eek: (Mental note to self: avoid local water, just drink beer.) Or maybe it's something in the air. Maybe I'll be greeted by crowds of smiling faces all willing to be helpful in a less threatening "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" manner. :eek: I see myself being invited into an endless string of AYCE establishments, friendly hostels and bend-over-backwards-to-please-you outfitters. It will seem so comforable, so inviting that I will decide this is the place to take a zero day....and then another....and then another...while the Hotel California earworm keeps playing softly, "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!" :eek:

I have come to the conclusion that I MUST AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS...but I can't! The AT runs right smack through the center of town, DAMMIT!

I am doomed. :(

Wonder
02-14-2008, 11:15
Just a town that the trail comes thru......that happens to be home to many, many hikers

jersey joe
02-14-2008, 11:28
The Place ain't free. They ask for a $4 donation. Many do not put anything in the money box. But there are those that put extra in the box and clean up and wash towels making up for the freeloaders

They ask for a donation but don't require it, so the stay is free.
Don't get me wrong, I put money in the box when I stayed there and helped out with some cleaning, but unless you have someone to more or less enforce rules and collect donations, people will break the rules and not donate moeny.
It sounds like "The Place" could use a caretaker like the guy in Pearisburg at the Holy Family Church Hostel. That dude visually identified people and kicked them out if they were there more than three days and pretty much enforced the donation.

hobojoe
02-14-2008, 11:34
I have had only amazing experiences in the past 4 years visiting Damascus. Such a welcoming warm town with good food, an abundance of hiker services, and amazing people.

In fact there has been talk lately in the local news that the exit to Damascus is being considered for a new shopping mall with the likes of Wal-Mart and Lowes..........
I sure hope not, Down with mall wart.
And I'm serious about that.

Red Hat
02-14-2008, 11:41
My husband (background law enforcement) and I (retired school teacher) seriously thought about taking a caretaker job at the Place a couple of years ago when it was being considered by the Methodist Church. We have an RV and would park it next to the Place. Apparently they never decided to get caretakers, and we never heard from them. If the job comes up, my husband is still interested. As for me, I'm hiking this year, but maybe next year we can do it.

Susanne from the Hikers Inn is the one who told me they were considering it. But the church was losing its pastor and the committee in charge of The Place was undecided at that point. I do think they need someone to keep things on the up and up.

D'Artagnan
02-14-2008, 11:48
My husband (background law enforcement) and I (retired school teacher) seriously thought about taking a caretaker job at the Place a couple of years ago when it was being considered by the Methodist Church. We have an RV and would park it next to the Place. Apparently they never decided to get caretakers, and we never heard from them. If the job comes up, my husband is still interested. As for me, I'm hiking this year, but maybe next year we can do it.

Susanne from the Hikers Inn is the one who told me they were considering it. But the church was losing its pastor and the committee in charge of The Place was undecided at that point. I do think they need someone to keep things on the up and up.

If that ever comes to fruition, they'd be lucky to have you. ;)

Red Hat
02-14-2008, 11:53
If that ever comes to fruition, they'd be lucky to have you. ;)

Thanks D'Artagnan! Actually, we could probably do it for most of the thru hiker season this year, since I'm not doing my SOBO until July. My husband would be happy to stay in Damascus while I hike south, I'm sure. He loves it almost as much as I do.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 11:56

i'm sorta the unofficial bouncer. i'm allowed to kick people out when they break rules like drinking alcohol and dogs on the property.

Jason of the Woods
02-14-2008, 12:01
OK so I believe that this town is that nice. I looked at the chamber site, which is great. The only problem is that there is only white people in all of the pictures. I could see where someone might get the wrong idea. I am merely suggesting that they hire people of color for their adds like the people at Kashi do for their cereal boxes. Oh, and make sure that they smile for the photo.

Rcarver
02-14-2008, 12:08
I have always had a positive experience in Damascus. I try to get up there a couple times a year and hike. I just hate that the pizza place is not as good as it used to be.
I hope Dots never changes.

Blissful
02-14-2008, 12:39
Damascus is a nice town, but it was pretty quiet when we were there since it was soon after the VA Tech tragedy. We did enjoy getting to meet the infamous Lone Wolf. That was fun. :)

Wonder
02-14-2008, 12:41
Dot's is an institution......we won't let them take our only remaining cool bar!!!!
As for a non-white......there just aren't many around here. There area people of other races that live here in Damascus, but they just don't make up a large part of the population. Being from a city, I never "noticed" other races, just because we were all different, and it was normal. Now, when I go to Boone or Winston- Salem....it's almost a relief to be back in an area with some diversity. If there is one thing I do miss....it's that.

max patch
02-14-2008, 13:13
It sounds like "The Place" could use a caretaker like the guy in Pearisburg at the Holy Family Church Hostel. That dude visually identified people and kicked them out if they were there more than three days and pretty much enforced the donation.

I'm sure it was different caretaker, but I remember the caretaker "volunteering" hikers to do chores around the hostel in Pearisburg.

Thot that approach was a bit odd until I got to the church hostel at Manchester; walked out of the shower and saw a room full of thrus watching the pastor push a broom around the hostel.

No wonder these places close up.

Fastforward
02-14-2008, 13:40
I am a new hiker planning to begin my AT thru hike after March 20th. My thoughts are to stop by Damascus on my way to Springer from Northern Michigan.

Would I be able to practice using my equipment, experience hiking in a less strenuous environment and make changes prior to beginning my hike? My question is would it be valuable to visit Damascus to build confidence and gain experience prior to March 20th. Is early March too early for Damascus?

John

CaseyB
02-14-2008, 13:42
Aww, this thread is so warm & fuzzy (for now):-?. Rcarver, I'm with ya on the pizza place. Pizza & no beer? sacrilage. pun intended.:cool: spelling questionable.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 13:44
I am a new hiker planning to begin my AT thru hike after March 20th. My thoughts are to stop by Damascus on my way to Springer from Northern Michigan.

Would I be able to practice using my equipment, experience hiking in a less strenuous environment and make changes prior to beginning my hike? My question is would it be valuable to visit Damascus to build confidence and gain experience prior to March 20th. Is early March too early for Damascus?

John

sure come on down. only 12 miles off the interstate. look me up at dot's

CaseyB
02-14-2008, 13:48

John
You will need winter gear, especially if going up Whitetop, Mt. Roger's way.
Is the trail easier here or are the NB hikers just in better shape? Don't know, never hiked in GA.
We're kinda out of your way assuming you are coming down 75 or 69/65/24 but happy to have ya.

partinj
02-14-2008, 14:00
What evre you do don't let them put a Wal-mart in the worst thing that could happen to you it will close all the small store in your town and ruin the great place you have. that what wal-Mart will do for you

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 14:03
that happened when Food City came in. Wal-Mart will never be in damascus. no worries there

CaseyB
02-14-2008, 14:05
What evre you do don't let them put a Wal-mart in the worst thing that could happen to you it will close all the small store in your town and ruin the great place you have. that what wal-Mart will do for you
Talk is about Glade Spring or possibly Abingdon, both towns about 12-15 miles out of Damascus in semi-opposite directions. Big talk, many years, nothing yet.
But yeah, stick one in Glade or Abingdon and now most of us are driving by one on the way home from work, not good for the few little stores left.

dixicritter
02-14-2008, 14:10
I've never had a bad time in Damascus. I think I have a few friends there still. ;)

satchmo
02-14-2008, 14:14
That's why I moved here.....it's been less then a year, and I feel at home. Thanks for making me smile tonight!

It needs more moving out. Than in.

wakapak
02-14-2008, 14:14
I've always enjoyed Damascus when I've been there!! It was great meeting some of the locals too, never felt more welcome anywhere else!! And Dot's...what can I say about Dot's except i love that place!! :)

Wonder
02-14-2008, 14:32
I am perfectly happy driving to Exit 7 for my shopping. I go about once a month.
I didn't move here to be in the middle of a commercial hell

Blissful
02-14-2008, 15:33

Yeah it's coming here near us in Ruckersville. A huge supercenter. Good and bad. But Charlottesville didn't want it so they moved it here. But it will only be about eight miles from Swift Run gap in SNP for resupply.

Flush2wice
02-14-2008, 16:07
Damascus is a fine town. It would be even better if Dot's sold PBR. LW-I'll be passing through there again in a couple weeks. I know where to find you.
Erwin got a Wal-mart a couple years ago but that's a bigger town and it's on the interstate.

hobojoe
02-14-2008, 16:16

John
Probably a good place to practice, with a couple of good outfitters. Probably a little colder than springer but not too bad. The At goes right through town so it would be pretty convenient. Many good folks to help you out too.

hobojoe
02-14-2008, 16:19
Damascus is a fine town. It would be even better if Dot's sold PBR. LW-I'll be passing through there again in a couple weeks. I know where to find you.
Erwin got a Wal-mart a couple years ago but that's a bigger town and it's on the interstate.
Uuuughh.... I'll stick to yueng ling thank you very much. Life's to short to drink cheap beer.

jersey joe
02-14-2008, 16:30
Yueng Ling is cheap beer near PA.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 16:32

yup. overrated swill

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 16:32

=============================

But it would sell like hotcakes here in Laramie ...

Damn, I miss Yueng Ling on tap !!

'Slogger

Terry7
02-14-2008, 16:45

John
Stop by and see me and The Only Wonderer, we are two houses past Cowboys Gas and Store. If its good weather I will do some hiking with you.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2008, 17:22
What a nice positive thread!

As for me the only bad times or sad days I've ever had in Damascus were the days I was leaving town.

Great folks, great place.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 17:23
what about groundhog day?

jlb2012
02-14-2008, 17:35
what about groundhog day?

LOL - good one Lone Wolf

dixicritter
02-14-2008, 18:30
I still haven't been to Dot's... I feel cheated!;)

Lilred
02-14-2008, 18:30
We have a Wal-mart opening up in our small town in just a few days. Already, the prices of homes in the near vicinity have gone down, no one can sell them cause of wal mart. Thank goodness I'm on the other side of town. Kroger came to our town not so long ago too. I don't shop there, nor will I at Walmart, unless I desparetely need something after the other stores have closed for the night.

BTW try to find something NOT made in China in Wal mart. What ever happened to their boasting 'made in America'?

A-Train
02-14-2008, 18:31
I still haven't been to Dot's... I feel cheated!;)

Was there once. Not sure what all the chit chat is about. Nothing too memorable really...

dixicritter
02-14-2008, 18:38
Was there once. Not sure what all the chit chat is about. Nothing too memorable really...

I've been across the street from it... to Subway and the Outfitters. Got Creek Hopper's pack there that he still uses and loves... because it is green.

Lilred
02-14-2008, 18:38
OH, and Damascus ROCKS!!! I only took 5 zero's there when I hiked through. Love that section hiking.........
The folks at MRO modified my pack for me. Including some cutting and sewing, and then wouldn't take anything for the work. THAT's service.. Thanks

Got some great advice to blue blaze the creeper trail out of there. What a fantastic stroll that day, very pleasant. Brought my husband back there and we stayed at the Lazy Fox. Excellent!! The woman that runs that place is amazing.

Anyone from the class of 2008 reading this, take time in Damascus and do the Creeper trail. That's my advice.

Rcarver
02-14-2008, 18:49
What are the hours of buisness for Dots? I've been through there quite a bit on a sunday after a trip and sometimes they're open and sometimes they're not.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 18:50
Tues - Sunday 12:00 til ?

Rcarver
02-14-2008, 18:55
They still do kareoke on Thursday night?

warraghiyagey
02-14-2008, 18:56
They still do kareoke on Thursday night?
They do in Stratton!!:):)

cannonball
02-14-2008, 19:29
I was in Damascus last June for the first time. I loved that little town nestled in the valley.
I was hugely dis appointed that I did'nt get to Dot"s. It was closed on Monday. Kinda like a hair salon.

Got to meet Lone wolf and found out he is not half the pr**k he would like you to think he is.

By the way LW, how ya been feelin. When I saw you you had just had a seizure or something. You doin alright with that?

Belew
02-14-2008, 19:34
Wal-mart and Damascus sucks! Not really, just Wal-mart:D Some of my best friends live in Damascus, I need to be able to walk out my door to visit.

Ron Haven
02-14-2008, 22:12
Wal-mart and Damascus sucks! Not really, just Wal-mart:D Some of my best friends live in Damascus, I need to be able to walk out my door to visit.Belew,I know who this is in your avatar.He lives near the Betty;s Creek Trail in the Mulberry section south of Franklin.He played in the movie "Delieverance".But did you ever notice the banjo he was playing didn't have any strings.

Auther Smith was the musician.At the time Bert Reynolds lived in Highlands,NC which is the same county as Franklin.Bert now lives in Flat Rock,NC which is 5 miles from Hendersonville.

Sorry,I was off topic.I'll be more careful next time. :datzI'am looking forward to going to Trail Days this year to celebrate my birthday.

Wonder
02-14-2008, 23:28

Cheaper here.........but sweeter too:-? I just don't get it. It mush come from the Tampa brewery

Rockhound
02-15-2008, 00:26
their motto is "the friendliest little town on the trail" and they're right. A true hiker town with all the services one could need. The people are friendly & many will go out of their way to help out hikers. Plenty of hostels to choose from, not 1 but 2 outfitters, Food City, the Dollar General, Pizza Plus,Subway,a wonderful coffee shop, a vet for your pet, a great library, 2 banks, a laundrymat, 2 ice cream shops,a candy shop, and of course there's Dots if you're feeling a bit parched. And with all they offer, Damascus still has that small town feel. All they need now is a Walmart. Did I really just say that. I didn't mean it I swear

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2008, 01:01
Just wait for Trail Days. Thats when Damascus's real hospitality really shows. The nice towns people basically let a horde of hikers invade their town.

Now thats love.

ATSeamstress
02-15-2008, 02:14
I have lots of great memories from my many visits to Damascus. Where to begin . . . the Lazy Fox, Ginny brought us some wine and cheese as we sat out back, and oh, the breakfast! Stayed once at Suzanne's. Coke and wings at Dots. Having breakfast with my boyfriend at In the Country and struck up a conversation with two gentlemen sitting next to us. As it turns out, one of them was the mayor! Clarence, who has the Riverside View apartment and who shuttled us a couple of times, and his Pomeranian, Fluffy. Doing the downhill bike ride, and also the Abingdon-Damascus half of the Creeper.

I took some friends there on vacation a couple of years back, and now one of them takes her boyfriend there. She has traveled the world and goes back to Damascus. What a compliment!

Belew
02-15-2008, 07:54
Belew,I know who this is in your avatar.He lives near the Betty;s Creek Trail in the Mulberry section south of Franklin.He played in the movie "Delieverance".But did you ever notice the banjo he was playing didn't have any strings.

Auther Smith was the musician.At the time Bert Reynolds lived in Highlands,NC which is the same county as Franklin.Bert now lives in Flat Rock,NC which is 5 miles from Hendersonville.

Sorry,I was off topic.I'll be more careful next time. :datzI'am looking forward to going to Trail Days this year to celebrate my birthday.

Wait, that's a pic of me.....really!:D

Anyone know what's happening this Saturday in Damascus?

Lone Wolf
02-15-2008, 08:13
Anyone know what's happening this Saturday in Damascus?

same 'ol nothin'. NASCAR at dot's on sunday

Lone Wolf
02-15-2008, 08:24

Same can be said for The Doyle. Just a bar.

jersey joe
02-15-2008, 09:14
Just wait for Trail Days. Thats when Damascus's real hospitality really shows. The nice towns people basically let a horde of hikers invade their town.

Trail days invaders bring money into the town, it's not all bad.

A-Train
02-15-2008, 09:54
Same can be said for The Doyle. Just a bar.

Totally agree. The Doyle's cool cuz of the old rooms above and the history, but some of these places get blown out of preportions. Just places that serve decent food that people think is great cuz they're starving.

rafe
02-15-2008, 10:03
Totally agree. The Doyle's cool cuz of the old rooms above and the history, but some of these places get blown out of preportions. Just places that serve decent food that people think is great cuz they're starving.

Stayed there on a Saturday night in August, last summer. A woman named Sue Grace was playing guitar and harmonica. Me and one other hiker and a half-dozen rowdy locals in the bar room. Sue played Grateful Dead covers most of the night. And when it wasn't GD, it was something equally tasty... John Prine, Dylan, The Band, Allman Brothers, Neil Young... :D

Kirby
02-21-2008, 09:14
Does Dot's allow those under the age of 21? I've asked this before, but I don't remember.

Kirby

CaseyB
02-21-2008, 09:17
Yeah, you just can't drink. Anybody can come in.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 09:25
Does Dot's allow those under the age of 21? I've asked this before, but I don't remember.

Kirby

sure. she serves all kindsa food.

Kirby
02-21-2008, 10:18
Yeah, you just can't drink. Anybody can come in.

I don't drink, so it's all good.

See you all sometime in mid-April.

Kirby

Flush2wice
04-30-2008, 20:56
Passed through Damascus this evening and stopped at Dot's just to make sure that it's still there and that the beer is still cold. Lone Wolf happened to be there - imagine that. I also met Pirate and The New Wally. Gypsy came in a bit later. We all had a couple beers.
Lots of thru hikers in town right now. Next time I'm there I hope to be walking instead of driving.

mrc237
04-30-2008, 21:25
I'm planning for a cupla three four at Dot's real soon. Get the lime ready!

The Scribe
04-30-2008, 21:33
I've only been to D-Town for Trail Days and I fully realize that those 2-3 days have nothing to do with the other 362-363 as far as what the town is really like. But I also know I have never had anything but a positive experience there. I've met some very nice people there that live there.

Looking forward to being there in about two weeks.

The New Wally
05-01-2008, 08:11
Damascus is okay except for the thru hikers and bikers. Can't wait until the AT gets rerouted out of town.

Flush2wice
05-01-2008, 08:22
Damascus is okay except for the thru hikers and bikers. Can't wait until the AT gets rerouted out of town.
That would make your job a lot easier.

ki0eh
10-04-2008, 20:58
Looks like we're camping outside of town for a weekend sometime soon. Where's the best place to get breakfast in Damascus with 3 girls <=5yo in tow?

ki0eh
10-14-2008, 14:13
Looks like we're camping outside of town for a weekend sometime soon. Where's the best place to get breakfast in Damascus with 3 girls <=5yo in tow?

Well, we were just there and wound up breakfasting at Cowboy's a couple of days. They were recommended at Dot's, which didn't seem to have a high chair available to confine the 2yo sufficiently well. ;)

We did have a fine dinner at Dot's one night and even found some good dry camp fire wood for the right price (thanks to a very well known WB personality who fixed us up!).

Stayed at Backbone Rock campground - water is fine tasting but doesn't look very appetizing from iron. The 20yo wasn't happy at the lack of cell phone service there, but the rest didn't mind one bit!

Outstanding weather this past weekend. On Saturday a couple of us walked from Backbone Rock up the side trail and down into town. Looks like someone's (Konnarock? TEHCC?) got a little project going to rehab the last switchbacks into town coming off the logging road with a lot of flagging and clearing but no earthwork yet, that will be a most appreciated improvement!

Our 5yo saw us from the playground coming through the welcome arch and ran up (must be 1/4 mile!) to meet us - I don't think we need to take her to the eye doctor any time soon!

We spent Sunday up on Wilburn Ridge - saw a pony, a few sectioners and SOBO's, and plenty of dogs and cameras out capturing the color change.