PDA

View Full Version : Please help me complete my gear list

Regulus
02-13-2008, 22:48
My start date is now March 6th and I'd like to get all my gear asap so I can test it and get familiar with it. This is my list so far:

Backpack McKinley $0.00
MSR HUBBA Tent & stakes $175.99
Campmor 20* Bag Long Rect $146.94
Thermarest ProLite4 $90.00
Salomon Exit Aero Cross Trainers $75.00
Smart Wool Medium Socks x 2 $37.00
Smart Wool Mini Crew Light Socks x 1 $14.95
Poncho, Military Issue $0.00
1 Liter Nalgene $0.00
2L Platypus $24.90
Petzl Zipka Plus $36.01
Katadyn Hiker Pro $48.11
GoLite Ether $62.00
EMS Adventure Zip-Off Pants $34.30
Polypropylene Balaclava $14.95
TechWick Underwear x 1 $16.00
Thru-Hiker's Companion '08 $18.60
Official Maps $0.00
Trash Compactor Bag (backpack liner) $0.00
Bic Lighter $0
Iodine/Multivitamins $0
Spoon $0
Bandanna $0
550 Cord (50') $0
Purell Hand Cleaner $0
Zip Lock Bags $0
Toilet Paper $0
Toothbrush/Paste $0
Compass $0
Duct Tape $0
Camera $0
1st Aid Kit $0

Total is: $794.75

I have about $800 left in my budget.

I'd particularly like help with what clothes to buy but any advice is welcome.

Appalachian Tater
02-13-2008, 22:55
Get a Pro-Lite 3 instead of 4, it's plenty thick enough, and consider a short one to save more money and weight.

Consider a mummy bag.

Skip the Nalgene, get a Gatorade or Aquafina bottle.

How are you cooking?

Tinker
02-13-2008, 22:59
What are you doing for an in camp jacket? I'd suggest a synthetic insulated one just in case you absolutely have to hike in it. Have you used the Campmor bag in the temperatures it's rated to? Your legs may get cold due to the extra space down there. I found that to be the case with my Marmot Sierra semi-rectangular bag. Bring two Bic mini lighters, and have one so deep in your pack that it can't possibly get wet (and maybe a book of matches, too). What are you using for a stove?

Regulus
02-14-2008, 09:48
Get a Pro-Lite 3 instead of 4, it's plenty thick enough, and consider a short one to save more money and weight.

Consider a mummy bag.

Skip the Nalgene, get a Gatorade or Aquafina bottle.

How are you cooking?

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on using a beer can alcohol stove.

Regulus
02-14-2008, 09:50
[quote=Tinker;535824]What are you doing for an in camp jacket? I'd suggest a synthetic insulated one just in case you absolutely have to hike in it.quote]

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Regulus
02-14-2008, 14:36
As per the advice I've returned my sleeping bag for the long mummy style.

The Weasel
02-14-2008, 15:27
Lose the trash compactor bag. Use 1 gallon slide ziplocs for types of items (underwear/socks, cooking items, etc). Liner isn't needed then, items stay dry/findable.

Use tooth powder (Tom's) from TJ or Whole Earth. Lighter.

Instead of cord, get 50' of uncut lacing, available at EMS and most other larger outfitters. Try to get orange for visibility. This provides multiple uses for hanging items, guy lines, shoes.

Consider replacing tent stakes with aluminum gutter nails (hardware). Lighter in weight.

I see no pot/lid.

Good luck!

TW

take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 16:17
Don't lose the compactor bag liner, you will notice that Weasel offers that advice from a sunny clime, it must have been a dry year on the AT for him.

As for synthetic jackets, Montbell offers probably the lightest hooded (reccomended) jacket and Patagonia offers a heavier, warmer version. Add a Patagonia R1 Hoody and a light microfleece pullover and a watch cap and you'll be set. Don't forget rain mittens and some polypro gloves.

sixhusbands
02-14-2008, 16:34
trade in the Thermarest pad for a Z rest. you can save $60 and they do not go flat at the worst time! get some Under Armor loose fit shirts

Regulus
02-14-2008, 18:03
Don't lose the compactor bag liner, you will notice that Weasel offers that advice from a sunny clime, it must have been a dry year on the AT for him.

As for synthetic jackets, Montbell offers probably the lightest hooded (reccomended) jacket and Patagonia offers a heavier, warmer version. Add a Patagonia R1 Hoody and a light microfleece pullover and a watch cap and you'll be set. Don't forget rain mittens and some polypro gloves.

Save some money and get a Marmot Precip instead of the Montbell? Thoughts?

Regulus
02-14-2008, 18:04
Lose the trash compactor bag. Use 1 gallon slide ziplocs for types of items (underwear/socks, cooking items, etc). Liner isn't needed then, items stay dry/findable.

Use tooth powder (Tom's) from TJ or Whole Earth. Lighter.

Instead of cord, get 50' of uncut lacing, available at EMS and most other larger outfitters. Try to get orange for visibility. This provides multiple uses for hanging items, guy lines, shoes.

Consider replacing tent stakes with aluminum gutter nails (hardware). Lighter in weight.

I see no pot/lid.

Good luck!

TW

Thanks for the advice.

Regulus
02-14-2008, 18:04
trade in the Thermarest pad for a Z rest. you can save $60 and they do not go flat at the worst time! get some Under Armor loose fit shirts

I need the extra space under my heavy body :D

take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 23:27
Save some money and get a Marmot Precip instead of the Montbell? Thoughts?

The Montbell/Patagonia jackets I mentioned are insulation, not shells, the Precip is a shell, and you'll need that also. I reccomend the Precip for the price, there is lighter and more breathable stuff out there like Event and GTX Paclite but it costs three times what the Precip costs, if you'll settle for a funky color that Precip can be had for $50-60 bucks on sale. Some like Frogg Toggs, I've never tried them, they look like a sack and the pants don't last long. Sierra Trading often has the precip I like the pitzips on the precip and their rain pants rock. Depending how warm blooded you are if you get a good microfleece under layer something like a Patgonia Puffball vest might be enough, I don't remember your start date. Altrec.com has them on sale in a bright color (orange?) right now.

take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 23:30
I need the extra space under my heavy body :D

If you are a big guy you can get a full length ridgerest AND a short prolite 3. The two together will weigh 27oz. The thermarest won't get punctured (get a repair kit anyway) and you'll be padded and warm. You don't need as much insulation or padding under your feet.

Hooch
02-15-2008, 07:07
As per the advice I've returned my sleeping bag for the long mummy style.Smart move! You won't regret it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on using a beer can alcohol stove.Good start.

.....I see no pot/lid.......How about a pot stand/wind screen for the stove?

Hooch
02-15-2008, 07:17
........You don't need as much insulation or padding under your feet.TAK is right, and even if you do need to add a little insulation under your feet, you can add some folded clothing to help insulate. If you feet are still cold after that, try the old "boiling-water-in-a-nalgene" trick. Makes a gret footwarmer. :D

Roots
02-15-2008, 08:36
I use the therma-rest 3/4 backpacker pad and a cheap, ultra light, blue foam pad. I got the therma-rest at Campmor for $29.99 because it had a cosmetic blemish. I would suggest Sierra trading post because they are doing there winter clearance. It would be a good time to get a jacket. Try some of these places, they usually have great deals and top gear:

Campmor(you already know)
Sierra Trading Post
Northern Mountain Supply
Campsaver
Backcountry Gear
Moosejaw
Outdoor outlet

These places make it easier to get gear when you are $ cautious and also gear weight savvy. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.:)