PDA

View Full Version : Beagles and Hiking the AT

SunnyWalker
02-14-2008, 00:35
OK, Uno is a hit! So how about it? . . . Anyone hiking with A Beagle dog? How does the Beagle do, get along, endurance, attention to hiking, ability, etc., etc.?

desdemona
02-14-2008, 00:39
OK, Uno is a hit! So how about it? . . . Anyone hiking with A Beagle dog? How does the Beagle do, get along, endurance, attention to hiking, ability, etc., etc.?

We'll find out won't we?? With all the big to do about Uno, I'm sure we'll see many more Beagles.

I'll say this. It would be better having them get exercise hiking than spending their time digging up your backyard and howling.

--des

dessertrat
02-14-2008, 00:42
Beagles are a popular breed, but my lord, are they difficult housepets. I hope people will start to realize that.

Tipi Walter
02-14-2008, 00:44
How much gear can they carry, and will their dogpack even clear the ground?

Mountain Dew
02-14-2008, 01:54
A female hiker named Bookworm has hike alot with a beagle. I think she is a member on WB as well.... I've never heard her say that her dog was trouble for her on the trail.

Nearly Normal
02-14-2008, 02:41
A popular hunting hound.
May be difficult to keep him from doing what he was breed to.

Mountain Dew
02-14-2008, 02:46
Not difficult is kept on a leash !!!

Nearly Normal
02-14-2008, 03:14
Not difficult is kept on a leash !!!

Perfect solution.
Thanks!

aaroniguana
02-14-2008, 07:55
I love them but they are loud and very difficult to train. I prefer larger, silent breeds.

Phreak
02-14-2008, 07:56
I'll say this. It would be better having them get exercise hiking than spending their time digging up your backyard and howling.

--des

Not getting enough exercise is exactly why dogs dig up their backyards.

Phreak
02-14-2008, 07:57
I love them but they are loud and very difficult to train. I prefer larger, silent breeds.
True, Beagles are one of the most difficult breeds to train and they are not a breed I'd recommend for the average dog owner.

Phreak
02-14-2008, 08:01

I hike with a Beagle/Ridgeback mix, and she can go all day long and then some. No issues on the trail. But I have done a couple hundred hours of training with Maggie, and it was a long process to get her to properly behave on the trail. Their sense of smell is what makes them so hard to train and remain obedient. They catch a scent and everything else is forgotten.

Frau
02-14-2008, 08:18
i swear by my WONDERFUL German Wirehaired Pointer. One could not ask for a better trail dog. He was a wash as a hunting prospect (gunshy), and as an SAR prospect (that same fear of loud noises) but is extremely athletic, quiet, non-frontive and at the same time attentive to me on the trail.

He ranges off, then comes running back close enought to see me then off again. He does not trouble with other people/dogs on the trail. When dog replacement time comes around, I will get anough one, but will make sure THAT one is not gunshy and is suitable as a working dog, too.

Beagles and Bloodhounds, Whippets and Greyhounds, Coonhounds--many of the hounds are difficult to train.

Frau

Frau
02-14-2008, 08:20
I will get another one... I really need to carefully proofread since I cannot edit my posts!

Sorry,

F

hopefulhiker
02-14-2008, 08:22
In 05 I hiked with a couple of random loose beagles. They would just pick up with the first hiker that left camp....

Groucho
02-14-2008, 08:32
In Hiking the Appalachian Trail, v.1, p.400 begins the thru-hike of Chuck and Johnny Ebersole and their beagle Snuffy. He needed help only a few times and was allowed to summit Katahdin. There is a picture of him with a pack facing page 416.

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 09:54
The only problem with beagles is that their blue ribbons tend to drag in the mud. ;) They are cool dogs, but their bark can be really annoying.

sarahjean211
02-14-2008, 10:02
I have hiked with my beagle, and it's challenging. His hunting instinct is very strong, and he's wandered off following his nose and not showed up for several hours before. You have to keep your eye on him all the time. He doesn't get to come with me anymore. Based on my experience with Sam, I don't think beagles are great hiking dogs.

Jaybird62
02-14-2008, 11:00
I hike with my beagle Brooke all the time. I won't deny that she can definatly be boneheaded sometimes, but she is a great trail partner. Some pics of her in my gallery.

tazie
02-14-2008, 11:10
;) They are cool dogs, but their bark can be really annoying.

Their barks are annoying...but they are soooo cute. Yay to Uno!

scavenger
02-14-2008, 11:14
My beagle stays by my side off leash, if I see her about to chase a squirrel or rabbit I just tell her "no" and she stays with me. Great dog. I bring her on long day-hikes and she keeps up fine, despite carrying a little extra weight in her gut. Haven't overnight camped with her before. She would probably protest not having a comfortable couch or pile of blankets to sleep on.

She doesn't bark much either unless a stranger goes to the front door, raccoons or possums come into the yard, or she really has to pee and needs to get outside.

Turtle2
02-14-2008, 19:10
Met a hiker at DWG who hiked with a stray beagle mix he "rescued" at the Tye River. Boy was he a mess (the dog not the hiker)! No training, eager to go and do whatever, including raid the hiker box and scatter it all over. It was nice NOT to have to be around him for over a day. I love beagles but they are active by nature.

Bob S
02-14-2008, 19:46
Beagles are hunting dogs, once they get on a scent they want to stay with it.

Several years ago I had a friend who took lots of walks with his Beagle, one time it took off after something and he never saw it again. They run off and are so focused on the scent of an animal they get lost. I guess this is not uncommon for them to do, it’s part of their breading.

If you take one with you and you like your dog, keep it on a leash. He didn’t have it on the leash when it took off because it was always pulling on the leash hard wanting to go after some animals scent. He figured it would stay around him, it didn’t.

And yea the bark is very annoying; this may be a debate for the shelter ethics thread.

Blissful
02-14-2008, 20:38
Hurray for Uno!!!

Love our beagle Lady, have taken her on a day hike - though she did stay with us at a shelter once last year when my hubby came to visit- Wildcat shelter (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=190067)in NY. Did very well and never barked. Loved being on the AT the following day but stole a piece of jerky out of my hand, she was so hungry.

Nearly Normal
02-16-2008, 07:37
If I hiked with a dog one of these would be my choice.
http://cbs13.com/slideshows/ugly.dog.ugliest.20.228870.html?rid=4

desdemona
02-16-2008, 20:43
If I hiked with a dog one of these would be my choice.
http://cbs13.com/slideshows/ugly.dog.ugliest.20.228870.html?rid=4

:) I think it's a Mexican Hairless or hairless mix.

--des

Mongoose2
02-16-2008, 21:44
I have a Beagle and would never hike with him....he is very stubborn and his nose rules. Once on a scent, he would be gone! I love him as a house pet; he is a very quite dog, although my daughter can get him to howl by howling with him! Hey Blissful, I can understand the jerky, my Beagle once stole my ham sandwich off of the kitchen counter. I still don't know how he got up there! I think most Beagles are "Chow Hounds."

Rouen
02-17-2008, 01:54
:) I think it's a Mexican Hairless or hairless mix.

--des

looks like a chinese crested to me, the gene that makes them mostly hairless also tends to make them mostly toothless after 1-4 yrs of age.

desdemona
02-17-2008, 03:46
looks like a chinese crested to me, the gene that makes them mostly hairless also tends to make them mostly toothless after 1-4 yrs of age.

Same dog, different name. They aren't always completely hairless and they probably really are from China originally.

The ones at dog shows look like My Little Pony with mane and tail. I can imagine them dyed different colors to match. LOL!

--des

sly dog
02-17-2008, 14:39
I have a purebred beagle and he wasn't that hard to train. He is a great hunter but also can walk the trail with me and not go after wildlife once he knows we are hiking not hunting. When i grab my pack he goes into a different state then if i just grab a coat. I usually walk with him here in PA but with the PA rocks, that isn't the best for a short leg dog, he kinda looks at me whenever we would come to a boulder field and gives me that "not again look". Once we came across a bear and he watched what I did, I stopped and waited for the bear to cross the trail and he did nothing, just sat there and waited with me. I never took him on an overnighter yet but this summer is about time. And no he is not a barker when we go hiking,unless we come across a vacuum.

Rouen
02-18-2008, 01:33
Same dog, different name. They aren't always completely hairless and they probably really are from China originally.--des

xoloitzcuintle or mexican hairless are a short haired dog and do come in a completely hairless variety, they also come in 3 sizes. Chinese cresteds are a long haired dog, and come in mostly hairless and powderpuff varieties. I wonder how a CC or a xolo would do as a trail dog... :-? ;)
http://dogbreedinfo.com/hairlessbreeds.htm

minnesotasmith
02-18-2008, 08:57
He ranges off, then comes running back close enought to see me then off again. He does not trouble with other people/dogs on the trail.
Frau

A loose dog anywhere on the AT corridor **IS** trouble for other people and dogs there, just by being loose. They have to worry about the prospect of being attacked by it, having it steal their food, etc. Plus, when your dog is "ranged off", you're in no position to shut it up in any reasonable amount of time if it starts to run its mouth after hours, potentially keeping other hikers from sleeping who came to the woods to listen to wood sounds, NOT your domestic animal brought from home to a wild area.

Dogs and hiking trails:

1) on short leash, and kept from approaching other hikers/trail shelters;

2) left at home;

3) owner is a selfish, insensitive jerk towards other hikers who have done him no harm, and has a real problem understanding and/or accepting appropriate differences in how to behave on their own vs. public land.

Pick one. There is no #4.

Flush2wice
02-18-2008, 10:37
Beagles are too greasy, I prefer retrievers.

desdemona
02-18-2008, 13:50
A loose dog anywhere on the AT corridor **IS** trouble for other people and dogs there, just by being loose. They have to worry about the prospect of being attacked by it, having it steal their food, etc. Plus, when your dog is "ranged off", you're in no position to shut it up in any reasonable amount of time if it starts to run its mouth after hours, potentially keeping other hikers from sleeping who came to the woods to listen to wood sounds, NOT your domestic animal brought from home to a wild area.

Dogs and hiking trails:

2) left at home;

3) owner is a selfish, insensitive jerk towards other hikers who have done him no harm, and has a real problem understanding and/or accepting appropriate differences in how to behave on their own vs. public land.

I'm doing day hiking but really agree wiht this. Last week a large, though muzzled fortunately, Akita came springing along the path. I wish that people would keep their dogs on a leash and not allow them to go wandering along. They may think their own dog is perfect, but I see no reason to believe that any dog who isn't trained to instantly and with 100% reiability, and I mean instantly, come to their person's side, isn't trained well enough to go off leash. By the way, I have seen some dogs trained that well, but there is other wild life to be concerned with here too.

--des

SunnyWalker
02-21-2008, 22:04
Take it elsewhere Minsotasmith. We don't need this. That's old hash.

SlyDog-what a cute Beagle. Thanks for the photo and insight.

hnryclay
02-22-2008, 00:05
I hike with my Beagle often, she is 4 and does great. I always keep her on a 4 ft leash, loose she would be gone! She only goes on day hikes, after 10-12 miles she is worn out. I also bring my Basset Hound, my wife walks him also on a leash, he loves to walk, just a little slower.

Phreak
02-22-2008, 10:25

Dogs and hiking trails:

2) left at home;

MS, are you willing to back up your stance on dogs? We both live in GA, so I invite you on a day hike - trail, distance, location, everything will be your choice. I'll bring Suzi and I'll record every encounter with hikers, dogs, wildlife, etc with my camcorder. I'm willing to wager money that your posts about dogs have no merit.

minnesotasmith
02-23-2008, 01:12
MS, are you willing to back up your stance on dogs? We both live in GA, so I invite you on a day hike - trail, distance, location, everything will be your choice. I'll bring Suzi and I'll record every encounter with hikers, dogs, wildlife, etc with my camcorder. I'm willing to wager money that your posts about dogs have no merit.

On a thruhike lasting over 9 months, I saw loose dogs being a PITA on a regular basis. From barking and being threatening with no provocation, to attempting to steal food, to taking up room in shelters that should have been available for use by humans instead, and most all complete lack of perspective by dog owners on where their rights to have a dog on public land end and other hikers' right begin, I saw numerous problems with (primarily loose) dogs on the AT. I had to swing my hiking staff at easily half a dozen different loose dogs during my hike that wanted without cause or provocation to bite me.

This is what I saw first-hand. It is fact.

If you bring a dog on the AT, and allow it to affect other people's hike in any way, you are a jerk. Don't let your mutt approach me, be around shelters, run off wildlife, get in water sources, run its mouth incessantly late at night, and above all, don't let it try to bite people.

When on public land your dog growls at or charges someone without cause that a court would recognize, it's time to take it home, right then, and permanently.

desdemona
02-23-2008, 02:35
Hey MS, we are dog folks here! I will grant you that there are too many bad owners (more so than dogs I think) bringing their dogs who are not trained, off leash inappropriately, etc etc. YOu could say the same about children.
Or grown ups for that matter. I would be willing to bet that the largest incidences of crime, befouling the environment, violence towards women, noise, etc etc. are done by people and not by our four legged friends.

BTW, I did think that this was a non-debate forum. I also thought the OP was on Beagles!?

--des

Phreak
02-23-2008, 07:13
On a thruhike lasting over 9 months, I saw loose dogs being a PITA on a regular basis. From barking and being threatening with no provocation, to attempting to steal food, to taking up room in shelters that should have been available for use by humans instead, and most all complete lack of perspective by dog owners on where their rights to have a dog on public land end and other hikers' right begin, I saw numerous problems with (primarily loose) dogs on the AT. I had to swing my hiking staff at easily half a dozen different loose dogs during my hike that wanted without cause or provocation to bite me.

This is what I saw first-hand. It is fact.

If you bring a dog on the AT, and allow it to affect other people's hike in any way, you are a jerk. Don't let your mutt approach me, be around shelters, run off wildlife, get in water sources, run its mouth incessantly late at night, and above all, don't let it try to bite people.

When on public land your dog growls at or charges someone without cause that a court would recognize, it's time to take it home, right then, and permanently.

There was no doubt you'd balk at the offer. :rolleyes:

superman
02-23-2008, 09:12
A lot of dogs don't get enough daily exercise (like people). When they don't get enough exercise and attention they let you know in lots of annoying ways. Some dogs who seem hiper and loud settle down real nice when they get regular exercise (like people), as in hiking. I've had lots of different breeds but I've never had a beagle.

sly dog
02-23-2008, 12:11
Those who find dogs such an inconvenience on the trail then find a trail where you don't have to worry about it. Go ahead and pick the most popular trail and say how it should be, as if it is yours...get a life. Some people consider their dogs a part of their family and like to be with them like family. Hate ta say it but the AT has all walks of life on it, good people and bad, good dogs and bad.Every year there is at least one person on the trail to be feared more than a dog.Does this mean we should keep people off the trail too?If you hate dogs that much, carry pepper spray and use it if a bad dog or bad person invades your personal space, dont take it out on those of us that have dogs that never did anyone harm.

minnesotasmith
02-24-2008, 02:30
Those who find dogs such an inconvenience on the trail then find a trail where you don't have to worry about it. Go ahead and pick the most popular trail and say how it should be, as if it is yours...get a life. and like to be with them like family. Hate Some people consider their dogs a part of their family ta say it but the AT has all walks of life on it, good people and bad, good dogs and bad.Every year there is at least one person on the trail to be feared more than a dog.Does this mean we should keep people off the trail too?If you hate dogs that much, carry pepper spray and use it if a bad dog or bad person invades your personal space, dont take it out on those of us that have dogs that never did anyone harm.
==================================

1) "Some people consider their dogs a part of their family"

Well, they're wrong. Dogs remain factually and legally domestic animals, with fundamentally fewer rights than humans, whatever erroneous belief out-of-control emotions on the part of their owners may lead them to believe.

2) "Go ahead and pick the most popular trail and say how it should be, as if it is yours...get a life."

That is exactly what I keep trying to get across to dog owners who want to treat the whole world (including the AT) as if it were their private property, instead of understanding and acting that anywhere not their own land, their animal is there on sufferance, with very limited rights of behavior. If you feel the need to pretend your animal is human, do such playacting at home.

3) "the AT has all walks of life on it, good people and bad, good dogs and bad.Every year there is at least one person on the trail to be feared more than a dog.Does this mean we should keep people off the trail too?"

Dogs are so much more likely to misbehave in public than are people, the presumption is logically against the dogs if not certified at some high level of training (e.g., seeing-eye/SAR). Anyway, the rights of humans so exceed that of dogs, such that while humans are only locked up after proper trial and conviction, a presumption can be reasonably made against dogs on far less conclusively proved evidence. A mere preference is enough to justify a human on public land not having to interact with (or even see up close) someone else's domestic animal.

4) "carry pepper spray and use it if a bad dog or bad person invades your personal space"

Agreed. Actually, bear spray is better IMO, as it is stronger and thus faster/longer-acting. Too, dog owners are often so irrational about their animals, that if their animal got bear sprayed trying to kill a toddler without provocation, they'd be so angry (instead of remorseful, which would be correct) about the situation, they could well attack the child's defender. For that reason, I advocate that when anyone bear sprays a dog, that they save some to use if the owner attacks them; it's not a far-fetched possibility.

We can have public trails without dogs. We can't have them without hikers able to hike in peace. If a choice is forced, it will be to have the trails without dogs.

Look, dog owners, if you just keep the things from affecting other people's lives, including their time on the AT in its widest sense, 99% of other people would not care either way if you had one along or not. Keep your dog from making other people feel threatened by using leashes 100% of the time on public land, muzzle the ones over 30 pounds or so (any too large for an average adult male to kick like a football if it attacks him), stay away from other people's campsites/all AT shelters/hostels and other places of business that forbid dogs, yield ROW to other hikers, take whatever measures right away that it takes to shut your dog up if it starts to run its mouth, keep it out of water sources, and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, not only will scads of people who only know you by your out-of-control (in their opinion, the only one that counts here) animal hate your guts, you bring closer the day that dogs get legally banned from all public land.

sly dog
02-24-2008, 08:30
1) Did i say they think they are human? I thought i said consider but i guess i would expect this from someone who most likely never owned a pet or cared about anything other then themselves.

2)Treat the AT as if its their private land? Well i guess thats dog toilet paper i saw all over the smokys.It seems dogs do a better LNT job then some of people.

3)"Dogs are so much more likely to misbehave in public than are people" here you go again with the comparing against humans, i know they are not human and if they do misbehave i guess thats cuz they are animals like you said. They never had the schooling or parents to say what will get them in trouble. With that said, some humans had seen what can happen if they misbehave(jail,death,fines) but still choose to do the wrong actions anyway.

4)Do you actually think dogs eat babies? I think adults do more damage to toddlers everyday as i hear of baby shaken syndrome, kids being murdered,sold on black markets, left in a dumpster but o yeah lets protect these baby's and toddlers from dogs.

I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. I just wanted you to know with some owners, feelings can run deep. Thru history dogs have done a lot for humans, they save lives thru rescue attempts, are companions to people who lost faith in humans,and hold jobs better then some people could(herders,sled dogs,seeing eye dogs,etc.)I guess you had a bad experience or two with dogs and their owners but why classify all dog and owners in that same category. I dont judge people untill i get to know them not by bad ones i have met before them.

AlwaysHiking
02-24-2008, 10:02
True, Beagles are one of the most difficult breeds to train and they are not a breed I'd recommend for the average dog owner.

I 2nd this. I have never owned one personally, but have neighbors and several good friends with them.

It seems the owners who are not pushovers do quiet well, the ones who can't hold a position of respect in their Beagle's eyes get walked all over. Same could be said for most breeds, but especially a Beagle who wants to follow that nose to the ends of the earth.

Robusto
02-24-2008, 13:38
Here is a beagle story, I dropped off my friend for a thru-hike on Springer 2005 and could not hear what he had to say before he left because a guy could not get his three beagles to stop baying at the hikers. I love dogs (Have six of them) and I am a Veterinarian. I enjoy meeting nice Quiet dogs on the trail. Well behaved dogs who have owners that respect your space are wonderful. That said, I would not take any of my dogs out on the Trail. Too much work, seen many dog related foot problems on the trail, seen owners looking for lost dogs, the list goes on and on. HYOH with respect to others.

sly dog
02-24-2008, 13:51
HYOH exactly.Especially knowing that you are going to interact with other people with other beliefs.Like i said you cant judge a book by its cover.

JLB
02-24-2008, 22:53
http://www.fototime.com/%7B86B8C42E-040B-4ECC-807F-4915A8D93BBD%7D/picture.JPG

JLB
02-24-2008, 22:57
The beagle above was involved in THE BLOOD MOUNTAIN NIGHTMARE!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9973&highlight=Blood+Nightmare

Read the details here.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2008, 23:02

Read the details here.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/Dinolaughing.jpg

ASUGrad
02-27-2008, 10:25
Beagles are generally very active dogs. They are fun to be around but have a huge need to hunt. They are hard to restrain off-leash. I've had several and they are self-focused to the point of being bone-headed. Quiet ones are a rarity.

sly dog
02-29-2008, 10:52
Not bone headed but thick headed. LOL Like I said, mine is not a barker so I love to have him out with me. As far as being a hunter, after a couple of miles of walking he starts gettin a bit tired and ends up being almost under my feet. Once or twice i had to bump him in the butt with my boot to keep him going. I cary a 10 to 12 foot rope that is is leash for most of the time and on flat or straight sections i will drop the leash and he stays close to me but if he did decide to run i could easily step on the rope to stop him. He actually stays on the trail and not nose in and out of the bush so the leash never gets wrapped around anything. Like any dog, some are barkers and some aren't. My dad has a beagle/basset mix and he never barks unless he is on a rabbit.I see a lot of dogs that bark at anyone they see pass their yard when they are outside or inside a house so its not a beagle thing.

Blissful
02-29-2008, 15:31

Read the details here.

LOL. Great! Great picture too.

Dances with Mice
02-29-2008, 21:32
Anybody mixing polka dots and printed sheets deserves to be visited by skunks.

Wags
03-04-2008, 12:10
hey guys and gals. my gf has a little 13" beagle (named duncan) and we're going to break him in to hiking and camping this year. should i bring a piece of tyvek to put on the inside of the tent floor to keep him from wrecking it (he digs at random times) and any advise on protecting a sleeping bag from claws/teeth? he sleeps under the covers spooned against my girl so he'll likely crawl in her sleeping bag w/ her at night. btw he's the cutest dog ever

Slosteppin
03-04-2008, 21:51
I owned several beagles when I was younger. I still think they are one of the 2 best breeds for hunting rabbits.
In my opinion, no one should own a beagle unless that person is a rabbit hunter. They can have great endurance, if they get the exercise. I had one beagle that would hunt rabbits all day, then after a few hours rest go most of the night following the coon hounds.

Beagles are great dogs but they were developed for a purpose.

Airblazer
03-07-2008, 01:33
I am hoping to bring my 2 beagles on a section hike through the 100 mile wilderness. One of them has hiked with me before & gotten lost. Since then though he has been a little better about staying close. He is a little guy & doesn't like to be too far from mama. My other one though is a hunter, I would never let her off leash. I think I am going to get bungy-leashes & attatch them to my belt or pack.

minnesotasmith
03-07-2008, 01:45
hey guys and gals. my gf has a little 13" beagle (named duncan) and we're going to break him in to hiking and camping this year.

As part of that process, how are you going to lengthen his legs to something that can handle boulder fields and scrambles (not to mention fords), along with removing his instinct to bark and dig?

Phreak
03-07-2008, 10:10
As part of that process, how are you going to lengthen his legs to something that can handle boulder fields and scrambles (not to mention fords), along with removing his instinct to bark and dig?

First, Beagles will have no issue with the boulder fields and fords. They are working dogs and will breeze through these areas.

Second, it's VERY easy to control a Beagle from barking. It just takes a little effort and training from the owner. Stop making it sound like it takes an act of God.

Third, dogs dig because they are bored... period. Exercise a dog and it won't dig. Any dog hiking and backpacking is getting exercise and won't be digging up your precious trail.

Fourth, you're an ignorant wretch. Stop spouting the same old sheit. I've called you out once to prove you are ignorant about your anti-dog posts and you balked. Care to reconsider? :rolleyes:

Critterman
03-07-2008, 10:25
Beagles are a popular breed, but my lord, are they difficult housepets. I hope people will start to realize that.

A really sweet natured beagle is a wonderful pet. Hounds aren't for everybody, they are stubborn and stinky but I sure like them.

sly dog
03-07-2008, 14:28
Fourth, you're an ignorant wretch. Stop spouting the same old sheit. I've called you out once to prove you are ignorant about your anti-dog posts and you balked. Care to reconsider? :rolleyes:

Exactly...why are people like this in this forum? The forum is for people with questions or advice on "beagles and hiking" not people who have nothing to offer other then their smart @ss comments or are dog haters.

minnesotasmith
03-07-2008, 14:51
Stop spouting the same old sheit. I've called you out once to prove you are ignorant about your anti-dog posts and you balked. Care to reconsider?

I have not been advocating on the Dog Forum threads a blanket prohibition against dogs being on the Trail. I do list real problems with bringing one along that many, make that most, newbies who own dogs have never considered. I also take the position that dogs on trails on public land MUST be leashed, for the safety of the dog and emotional/financial/legal safety of the owner, as well as the safety of other hikers, or should not be there. None of these are against the stated purpose of this subforum, or nonconstructive.

SunnyWalker
05-02-2008, 23:14
Mnwsosmith: hey, quit barking!

sofaking
05-02-2008, 23:26
quit your whining and post in the straight forward threads if you can't take flak.

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 23:32
SofaKing, just in case you didn't know the "Dogs on the Appalachian Trail" forum has some more restrictive rules than the rest of the forum. Minnie is probably pushing the envelope.

Bulldawg
05-02-2008, 23:35
When ole MS there speaks of financial well being of the owner; is he hinting he would sue a dog owner who's dog looked at him wrong or anything beyond that? What kind of person would sue a dog owner for something a dog did?

sofaking
05-02-2008, 23:37
i'm not defending ms, i'm just offering alternatives to having to listen to the same agenda over and over again...

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 23:38
Under the right circumstances I would. My objection is that Minnie never adds anything constructive to this forum.

Not that I know anything about hiking with a dog, or anything. :cool:

Bulldawg
05-02-2008, 23:41
I mean, under the right circumstances, yes. But the dog would have to really attack me or one of my kids really really bad. I mean like remove an ear or a bite that requires stitches, something really really serious like that. And I just have never encountered such a dog and I saw 4 on my recent finished section hike. Every single one of them well behaved, loving dogs whose owners asked if it was OK if there dog approached me. Where are the morons that MS speaks of on the trail with dogs? I've never encountered anyone but responsible educated dog owners on any trail. Well maybe not the educated part for some I know, but responsible none the less!!!

sofaking
05-02-2008, 23:42
Under the right circumstances I would. My objection is that Minnie never adds anything constructive to this forum.

Not that I know anything about hiking with a dog, or anything. :cool:
that's what i'm talking about, everybody knows how ms feels about dogs on the trail, best not to provide fuel for the, um, whatever it is...
on another note, has anyone ever seen a skinny saint bernard south of big meadows? i saw one last week and talked to another hiker that confirmed that i wasn't suffering from wayeside beverage syndrome...

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 23:48
I mean, under the right circumstances, yes. . . Wouldn't even have to go that far for me. Under the right circ's I'll take action and screw a bunch of cops and lawyers.
that's what i'm talking about, everybody knows how ms feels about dogs on the trail, best not to provide fuel for the, um, whatever it is...
on another note, has anyone ever seen a skinny saint bernard south of big meadows? i saw one last week and talked to another hiker that confirmed that i wasn't suffering from wayeside beverage syndrome...'Kay, not sure what Big Meadows has to dow with St. Bernards.

Used to have a Great Dane/Labrador Retriever mix that was a great trail dog.* Does that have anything to do with this?

* Except that I had to carry a massive freakin' tent. Great dog, but when he stretched out he covered some turf.

Feral Bill
05-02-2008, 23:48
What kind of person would sue a dog owner for something a dog did?[/quote]

If someones dog does them material harm, and the owner won't make it right, anyone with sense.

Please note I am very pro dog, and would expect to be responsible if mine hurt someone or someones property.3997note leash.

Blissful
05-03-2008, 11:23
Great picture, good for you. Hikers actually using leashes while hiking are rare though on the trail from what I've seen.

NorthCountryWoods
05-05-2008, 13:47
Beagles are hunting dogs and can generally run circles around the average owner. A hiker owner is a perfect match as long as the owner can train them.

Just about all hunting dogs are best behaved when aggressively trained.

And don't mind MS and the other guy (that is mysteriously absent from this thread)....they're allowed their opinions like anyone else, just as long as they follow the rules.

Airblazer
05-05-2008, 16:27
I currently have 2 beagles, grew up with beagles & do beagle rescue volunteer work. (Can you tell I love beagles?) One of mine is especially well trained, but if he gets on a scent, I might as well not exist. Luckily, the one time I did lose him, he sniffed his way back to me even though we were in an unfamiliar place. I was in shock! But... when I was a kid, our beagles would get loose every once in awhile & not come back for weeks, or until someone picked them up.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 23:15
But the Beagle looks so small and short legged. Can a BEAGLE handle the AT?

Rouen
05-15-2008, 23:55

if a dachshund can I dont see why a beagle would have any issue. both breeds were bred for work in rough terrain.

superman
05-16-2008, 08:40

LOL, you can say the same about some of the people that hike the AT.:D

SunnyWalker
05-16-2008, 22:20
Yeah, butr can a Dachshund do the entire trail? (all that is allowed)

superman
05-16-2008, 22:28
Yeah, butr can a Dachshund do the entire trail? (all that is allowed)
On day one of a thru hike I can't tell which dogs or which people will succeed. There's an intangible in people and dogs that make it work for some and not for others

No Belay
05-24-2008, 18:13
My beagle makes everyday a new adventure. She's great in the woods and loves interacting with people, especially kids. I've never had a problem training her to do tricks but she does get slightly distracted when rabbits are in the vicinity. I enjoy backpacking with her other than having to carry her pillow.;)

SunnyWalker
05-30-2008, 00:20
Neat No Belay. hey, cute photo. What a riot!