PDA

View Full Version : bonnaroo? you bonnaroo?

mozzie
02-14-2008, 04:49
has anyone jumped trail to work or play at the roo?

Bearpaw
02-14-2008, 09:56
No, NO , and NOOOOOOOO.............. :mad:

All Bonnaroo does is destroy access to the best hiking areas in Tennessee's South Cumberland region (by turning I-24 into a parking lot) and turn the actual area of the concert into a landfill. It's a stain on the area.:(

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 09:59

I went in 2003. It was fun, but WAY too crowded for this concert veteran. The one performance I'd really like to see is Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, and I have great seats to see them in Chattanooga in April.

My strategy in '03 was to find a big oak tree near one of the smaller stages, and stay under it most of the day. I discovered some great music at Bonnaroo. That's probably the best part of the whole thing. Learning about new music.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:02
you couldn't give me free tickets and a limo ride to that freakin zoo.

Almost There
02-14-2008, 10:03
That's my prime hiking season!

Skuter
02-14-2008, 10:06
I went the first three years before i realized how bad it sucks. Its sad to see the good set list every year, and not want to go beacuse of all the bull****.

jhick
02-14-2008, 10:19
you couldn't give me free tickets and a limo ride to that freakin zoo.

When I saw this thread, I couldn't wait to read your reply.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:20
pretty mild huh?

Mrs Baggins
02-14-2008, 10:22
My daughter and her boyfriend went a few years ago - - she now refers to it as "Bonapoo" because of the filthy ankle deep sewer pit it became in the rain. People were just using the ground for a toilet rather than walk to the porta potties and not bothering to bury it. She's vowed to never go again.

Mark57
02-14-2008, 10:24
OK, I'll bite. What is Bonnaroo? Sounds like a southern Woodstock....:-?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:25
OK, I'll bite. What is Bonnaroo? Sounds like a southern Woodstock....:-?

http://www.bonnaroo.com/ a stinkin' hippy wannabe festival :)

Freeleo
02-14-2008, 10:27
http://www.bonnaroo.com/

i have never been because it will never compare to Phish NYE2000:)

too many people and they jsut seem to get younger and more wild the older i get....some great bands though

kytrailman
02-14-2008, 10:28
Bonapoopoo is right. Southern woodstock they wish.Someone did offer me a free tic and I said no. That place sucks for music.

Skuter
02-14-2008, 10:29
the first year was the best. after that it went way down hill. the crowd changed and the cops got more involved.

jhick
02-14-2008, 10:46
I enjoy some of the bands that have played there... I'm not a fan of the crowds.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:47
same here.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 10:48
Drive By Truckers will be in Asheville March 29th. a bunch of us from the damascus area will be there

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 10:56
http://www.bonnaroo.com/

i have never been because it will never compare to Phish NYE2000:)

too many people and they jsut seem to get younger and more wild the older i get....some great bands though

I'm not a fan of Phish, and never have been. Was a big fan of the Dead when Jerry was still alive. By far, the worst band I saw in 2003 at Bonnaroo was The Dead. They were plain awful, although many of the younger folks really seemed to enjoy them. Having seen the real deal between '78 - '95, the reconstituted band was really disappointing. I left the festival in the middle of their second set.

tazie
02-14-2008, 11:03
No, NO , and NOOOOOOOO.............. :mad:

All Bonnaroo does is destroy access to the best hiking areas in Tennessee's South Cumberland region (by turning I-24 into a parking lot) and turn the actual area of the concert into a landfill. It's a stain on the area.:(

That's sad, I did not know this. Daughter called the other day and said her & boyfriend are going. It probably won't change their mind but I'll be sure she reads the thread...

ScottP
02-14-2008, 11:15
Everyone I know that went claims to have spent over $1000 on drugs/alcohol during the event.

hobojoe
02-14-2008, 11:26
Yes I did in 2005 with boo boo, tbc, and slack. one of the best times of my life. If you can bring your own beer + supplies. and you won't spend that much. I only had 130$ when I got there (end of my hike) and I only spent like 70$. I saw like 30 bands I realy wanted to see as well as being exzposed to new ones. I might be going myself this year if I can afford it. I love festivals like that though, not a good place for solitude. Try to do work it will pay for your ticket and you'll make good $$. I think they feed ya too.
Do it! Do it! Do it!
P.S. don't miss jack daniels distillery like 15 minutes away.

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 11:30
That's sad, I did not know this. Daughter called the other day and said her & boyfriend are going. It probably won't change their mind but I'll be sure she reads the thread...

I drive by the field where the event is held every time I go to Nashville. While the area is indeed a mess during and immediately after the event, a good bit of the waste is recycled, and everything else is cleaned up and hauled off. The site looks like a cow pasture today. Also, most locals know to avoid I-24 that weekend. You can always take back roads, or hike somewhere other than South Cumberland that weekend. The Walls of Jericho would be a perfect hiking destination for anyone from Nashville during the festival.

I'd be more worried about the drug scene if my kid was going (she's not). You can definitely have a good time without drugs at the festival.

Pony
02-14-2008, 11:57
I thought about meeting some friends there until I remembered their stories about getting things stolen, being covered in dust and having to walk 45 minutes from thier campsite to the venue, where they couldn't even take their own beer. I could just see all of my gear getting stolen and putting an end to my hike before it really got started. Besides, I went to 5 festivals last year in my area, and paid less combined than the ticket for Bonnaroo, with lots of good local and regional bands who aren't above drinking a beer with you after the show.

Whitey9457
02-14-2008, 12:07
I've heard rumors of a Led Zep reunion at 'roo

Whitey9457
02-14-2008, 12:08
I'm very excited for langerado which is only like 3 weeks away or so...any one else going?

hobojoe
02-14-2008, 12:11
I remembered their stories about getting things stolen, being covered in dust and having to walk 45 minutes from thier campsite to the venue, where they couldn't even take their own beer.
Oh no, we all hate walking! I brought a back pack full of cans in whenever I went in the security guards were saying, "If I see anything I won't take it". Kind of a joke, just checking for weapons I guess,

max patch
02-14-2008, 12:14
I've heard rumors of a Led Zep reunion at 'roo

Doubt it. Lez Zep will have to do.

Freeleo
02-14-2008, 12:15
I'm not a fan of Phish, and never have been. Was a big fan of the Dead when Jerry was still alive. By far, the worst band I saw in 2003 at Bonnaroo was The Dead. They were plain awful, although many of the younger folks really seemed to enjoy them. Having seen the real deal between '78 - '95, the reconstituted band was really disappointing. I left the festival in the middle of their second set.

i was at the last show ever at soldier field.........i liked the dead when i saw them at deer creek with bob dylan and robert hunter.......the did some great songs.....robert hunter accoustic was a really big treat for me.....gotta post the set list now......he's goen into unbroken chain sealed
the deal for me...morning dew into terrapin didnt hurt either....i am jelous if you got to see them wehn donna jean sang with them..those were the good years.....one from the vault era...its too bad trey is a junkie now
The Dead
Verizon Music Theater (Deer Creek)
Noblesville, IN

Playin in the Band >
U.S. Blues (Bob, Joan) >
Stagger Lee (Bob, Phil, Joan)
+Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (Dylan, Weir)
+Ballad of a Thin Man (Dylan, Weir)
+$Oh Boy (Dylan, Weir)
Baba Jingo
He's Gone (Bob) >
Unbroken Chain
Weather Report Suite >
Let It Grow >
The Eleven >
Drums >
Space >
Feelin' Groovy Tease >
Lady with a Fan >
Morning Dew >
Terrapin Station >
Sugar Magnolia
Attics of my Life

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 12:16
Doubt it. Lez Zep will have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNstGls5880

Hooch
02-14-2008, 12:19
Drive By Truckers will be in Asheville March 29th. a bunch of us from the damascus area will be thereSomeone yell when Southern Culture on the Skids make a show date out that way.:D

Pony
02-14-2008, 12:29
Oh no, we all hate walking! I brought a back pack full of cans in whenever I went in the security guards were saying, "If I see anything I won't take it". Kind of a joke, just checking for weapons I guess,

Not opposed to walking, just opposed to walking in 90 degree heat with 70,000 other people through a cloud of dust.

SC Ryan
02-14-2008, 12:59

I saw that one and 6 others from that tour. Hit or miss, but things definitely got better after that first show. B'roo is way too big for my patience now, but besides waiting 12 hrs in line to get in, I had a blast at the first two. There are smaller festys with better lineups and all the fun.

kytrailman
02-14-2008, 13:07
MOWGLI- you and every other dead fan out there know there will never be another DEAD evern close to the old days. I am still young 32, but was lucky enough to have parents who followed them. I have seen both the old dead and the new DEAD, and while you are right the new does not compare, it is not all about sound quality and hitting every note. DEAD shows are something different, its a vibe. It is a normal thing for them to have terrible nights, that is what makes them the type of band they are. Keep in mind that they have all been touring pretty much non stop doing their own things also. I have seen some crappy shows, but still enjoyed them. LW I will ook for you at the Ashevill show. DBT rocks.

Appalachian Tater
02-14-2008, 13:10
Rasta Legs went to Bonnaroo in 2006, and got free admission and meals by working for the organizers.

Her job was to test the security setup, no joke. She was successfully able to sneak in on 100% of her attempts.

MOWGLI
02-14-2008, 13:15
MOWGLI- you and every other dead fan out there know there will never be another DEAD evern close to the old days. I am still young 32, but was lucky enough to have parents who followed them. I have seen both the old dead and the new DEAD, and while you are right the new does not compare, it is not all about sound quality and hitting every note. DEAD shows are something different, its a vibe. It is a normal thing for them to have terrible nights, that is what makes them the type of band they are. Keep in mind that they have all been touring pretty much non stop doing their own things also. I have seen some crappy shows, but still enjoyed them. LW I will ook for you at the Ashevill show. DBT rocks.

Phil Lesh & Friends is much better than the reconstituted Dead IMO. And yes, I am indeed lucky to have seen some great shows. First show was May '78 in Philly. It rocked!

I will say, in over 50 Dead shows, I never saw one that I'd call terrible. Even the Rainforest Benefit at MSG in the 1980s - where Jerry had no voice - was a good show. They were either "on", or not. And when they were "on", no other band could touch 'em for musical excellence.

hobojoe
02-14-2008, 13:22
I love Hippy Hikers. (Sorry to those of us who take hippy as dorogatory).

tazie
02-14-2008, 13:45
I drive by the field where the event is held every time I go to Nashville. While the area is indeed a mess during and immediately after the event, a good bit of the waste is recycled, and everything else is cleaned up and hauled off.
I'd be more worried about the drug scene if my kid was going (she's not). You can definitely have a good time without drugs at the festival.

Thanks for the info Mowgli, glad there's a good clean-up effort.

My daughter says Allman Brothers will be there, I'd walk thru bonnapoo to see them, but not at that venue. No thanks. At this point I don't have to worry about the drug scene with her, just keep reminding her I'm not ready to become a grandma, yet. ;)

wilconow
02-14-2008, 13:54
Most festivals aren't about the music. They're about the scene

Almost There
02-14-2008, 13:58
i was at the last show ever at soldier field.........

So was my wife, followed them that whole summer, unfortunately I had not been "corrupted" yet. Wish I could have seen them with Jerry. The Dead are like what the Beatles would have been like ten years ago if they had reunited and gotten Julian to do his dad's parts. Nostalgic, but definitely not the same!

I've been to big fesivals before, Hordefest back in the 90's, the 2nd Lollapalooza, and the Tibetan Freedom Fesitival, but these new ones are too big and too expensive...festivals used to be about the music, not about raping concert goers' wallets!

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 14:01
this is a great time http://www.amjam.net/ only 2 stages, less than 3000 people and in the middle of no where. awesome venue. been there a few times

Freeleo
02-14-2008, 14:02
and too many people not there for the music....lots of ravers there for the drugs....crowd getting too young...it always amazes me to go to concerts and see so many people not paying the =slightest bit of attention to the music...eachto thine own though.....i dont like to miss a note at a concert...it is about nothing but the music....like being able to know that when the allmans covered franklins tower in cinci and the year before they had teased on it for about ten notes or so to follow up the next year with the entire thing...this thread is bring back some really great memories

tazie
02-14-2008, 14:06
this is a great time http://www.amjam.net/ only 2 stages, less than 3000 people and in the middle of no where. awesome venue. been there a few times

Now that looks like fun!! :D Would love to go- thanks for the link, LW.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 14:08
Now that looks like fun!! :D Would love to go- thanks for the link, LW.

check out the photo albums. there's two big ponds for swimming. just an awesome setting

Skuter
02-14-2008, 14:11
Hobo you ever go to Shakori Hills?

jhick
02-14-2008, 14:29

When I checked the lineup I was pleasantly surprised... I'm a huge fan of Warren Haynes and Gov’t Mule. I've seen them a bunch of times with the Allman Brothers and by themselves. I may have to check this out.:-?

Bare Bear
02-14-2008, 14:58
Why is there so much hating on WB about whatever subject goes up?
This (Bonnoroo) does not sound like something I would care for much but HYOH.

AT-HITMAN2005
02-14-2008, 16:36
wouldn't mind seeing metallica. been a couple years since they toured here in florida. although i would probably have flash backs to the joke that woodstock '99 turned out to be. lots of young under funded people complaining about the price of food and drink- when you could pretty much bring anything in that you wanted. yea the dust clouds suck too.

Bearpaw
02-14-2008, 17:41
Why is there so much hating on WB about whatever subject goes up?
This (Bonnoroo) does not sound like something I would care for much but HYOH.

Bonaroo is a nightmare if you live within about a 50-mile radius of the event. I'm not inclined toward hatred, but I truly DESPISE Bonaroo.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 18:05
kinda how i'm startin' to feel about trail days :cool:

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2008, 18:19
and too many people not there for the music....lots of ravers there for the drugs....crowd getting too young...it always amazes me to go to concerts and see so many people not paying the =slightest bit of attention to the music...eachto thine own though.....i dont like to miss a note at a concert...it is about nothing but the music....like being able to know that when the allmans covered franklins tower in cinci and the year before they had teased on it for about ten notes or so to follow up the next year with the entire thing...this thread is bring back some really great memories

Well U Tube has a few videos but this is a good overview to see.

Why your A$$ should go to Bonaroo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zghJi3vyM84&feature=related

Freeleo
02-14-2008, 18:26
at the NYE 2000 phish festival it took us 15 hours to go 11 miles on alligator alley into snake road......could you imagine if the state troopers sat there on the highway with drug dogs....they would have arrested over 10,000 people at least.

GratefulHike
02-14-2008, 21:27
amjam looks great thanks for the link wolf that is right up my alley.

i went to roo the first year and vowed to never look back!!! i have gone to way too many other super sweet festivals, high sierras, moe fests, anything at nlqp.

Roooooo is pooooooo!!!! way tooo many people, way to many kids on pharmies, sh1t and p1ss, traffic. great lineups, not sure how they are able to pull that off year after year, someone has some connections

anyone heading to gratefulfest at nlqp, they moved it from the 4th weeekend to labor day weekend.

aaroniguana
02-14-2008, 21:48
Yes I did in 2005 with boo boo, tbc, and slack.

Yeah Booboo mentioned that he ran into an old hiker friend in the parking lot too...

The young hippies of today and the young hippies of my generation (of which I was one) are about a million miles apart. I've seen three of the four Beatles on stage and would do anything to see Robert Plant, much less a LedZep reunion. But it won't ever be at 'Roo.

rafe
02-15-2008, 08:45
I will say, in over 50 Dead shows, I never saw one that I'd call terrible. Even the Rainforest Benefit at MSG in the 1980s - where Jerry had no voice - was a good show. They were either "on", or not. And when they were "on", no other band could touch 'em for musical excellence.

Steve Stills once told Jerry that the GD were "the world's greatest garage band." Jerry says he took that as a compliment. :D I saw them maybe twenty times or so. Two awesome shows out in Portland Oregon in 1979 and 1980. The first of those was outdoors at the fairground -- triple header with Roger McGuin and David Bromberg. The second in June '80 at the Civic Center. They started 2nd set with "Fire on the Mountain." We didn't know it but at that very moment Mt. St. Helens was erupting ash. When the show was over, the city was covered with gray mud. :D :D

For any DH's out there, you can get MP3s of just about any show you want over at archive.org.

I had a history of just-missing GD shows. They played in Atlanta about two days before I started my attempted thru in 1990. :( :datz

rafe
02-15-2008, 08:51
It's worse than I thought. The GD played Atlanta (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/gdead/90.html) for three nights, 4/1, 4/2, 4/3/90. I started my attempted thru on 4/4/90. :datz :datz :datz :datz :datz :datz

MOWGLI
02-15-2008, 09:01
Steve Stills once told Jerry that the GD were "the world's greatest garage band."
An obvious swipe at Neil Young by Stills. Everyone knows that Crazy Horse is the world's greatest garage band.

rafe
02-15-2008, 09:05
Speaking of Jerry, GD, and CSNY... check out who's playing pedal steel guitar on "Teach Your Children." :D :banana

MOWGLI
02-15-2008, 09:22
Speaking of Jerry, GD, and CSNY... check out who's playing pedal steel guitar on "Teach Your Children." :D :banana

My least favorite song on the Deja Vu album. It was good the first 500 times I heard it. After that...

For good pedal steel, you can't miss the New Riders of the Purple Sage.

Ryan Adams' pedal steel player is great too. Look him up on Archive.org. The acoustic shows from Louisville, KY in July 2007 are AMAZING.

rafe
02-15-2008, 09:34
My least favorite song on the Deja Vu album. It was good the first 500 times I heard it. After that...

The song's kinda sappy, for sure. In general CSNY were sappy. But the last few bars are terrific.. :sun Crosby and Garcia did a nice instrumental album together. (If I Could Only Remember My Name. (http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7305236/a/If+I+Could+Only+Remember+My+Name.htm)) In terms of "playing with others" the boys sure did get around. Dylan, Bromberg, Rowan, Grisman...

MOWGLI
02-15-2008, 09:42
I heard the new Bromberg disc recently, and in fact, I own it. Pretty good stuff.

girlnextdoor
02-15-2008, 13:31
It's very expensive but I would have loved to have gone last year and heard my man Ben Harper live again......
ahhhhh...................

DawnTreader
02-15-2008, 13:42
Ben Harper is the real deal..

Freeleo
02-15-2008, 13:46
this is not to advocate the use of illegal plants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLqfNwSSFE

EMAN
02-15-2008, 14:00
I drove a semi-truckload of PA gear in and out of that place the 1st year. I knew right then and there I had crossed the line into old age. Damn hippies! And frankly the "substances" spoken of herein were probably better when I was a damn hippie. I think....as I recall....maybe....uhhhhhhh.....ahhhhhh....sorry.. .the Geritol is kicking in....

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2008, 14:24
I was living Murfreesboro when Bonaroo first started. The traffic was backed from Manchester to Murfreesboro on I24. The news channels were reporting that if needed to travel I24, you were screwed. You had to take the backroads just to go at a snails pace.

I have friends in the Highway Patrol, they describe it worse than hell. Hippies turn against the environment trashing the place. People dopping up in front of officiers. The collection of thousands of people who have bathed in a week. Bottle water is a premium of $10. Food at $20.

MOWGLI
02-15-2008, 14:25
Bottle water is a premium of $10. Food at $20.

Not really. Not inside the festival anyway.

hobojoe
02-15-2008, 14:26
Yeah Booboo mentioned that he ran into an old hiker friend in the parking lot too...

The young hippies of today and the young hippies of my generation (of which I was one) are about a million miles apart. I've seen three of the four Beatles on stage and would do anything to see Robert Plant, much less a LedZep reunion. But it won't ever be at 'Roo.
Sorry, but a majority of the hippies of your generation have failed us. They sold out as soon as they realized the harsh realities of living on the fringe, and went out and got jobs. Most of them now drive S.U.V.s, shop at walmart, and feed their kids kraft cheese and macaroni. Most of the peaceful, free loving, environmentalists of my generation would rather not be called hippies for this reason.
Many have gone on to establish co-operative houses and intentional communities though. Keeping the dream alive. I wish some of the "lost" hipsters would pull the dust cover off of their VW, and convert it to veggie oil. I have a great affinity for this generation, but my generation has a chance to go farther.

hobojoe
02-15-2008, 14:29
I have friends in the Highway Patrol, they describe it worse than hell. Hippies turn against the environment trashing the place. People dopping up in front of officiers. The collection of thousands of people who have bathed in a week. Bottle water is a premium of $10. Food at $20.
Not all who attend the 'roo are hippies, remember that. In fact those who trash the enviornment, and risk getting arrested are catagoricaly NOT hipsters, just scumbag addicts.

tazie
02-15-2008, 15:00
Sorry, but a majority of the hippies of your generation have failed us.
I have a great affinity for this generation, but my generation has a chance to go farther.

Son, I said the same thing to my parents when I was your age. And my daughter, who is going to Bonnapoo, sings that song, too, only adds, "but I still luv ya mom, can I borrow some money?"
And maybe, if what you say is true... "but my generation has a chance to go farther..." then my generation has done something right. :)

hobojoe
02-15-2008, 15:17
Son, I said the same thing to my parents when I was your age. And my daughter, who is going to Bonnapoo, sings that song, too, only adds, "but I still luv ya mom, can I borrow some money?"
And maybe, if what you say is true... "but my generation has a chance to go farther..." then my generation has done something right. :)
Sorry, I am being crass and arrogant again. Both of us have a point though. bush is the president......just as much our fault as y'all's. Why can't we bond together against a common enemy.

hobojoe
02-15-2008, 15:18
Let's all do our best to give long haired festvalers everywhere a good name.

tazie
02-15-2008, 15:32
Sorry, I am being crass and arrogant again. Both of us have a point though. bush is the president......just as much our fault as y'all's. Why can't we bond together against a common enemy.

Naww, you're a good soul..I'm getting old and crabby and just had to get on my soapbox:) We do have a common bond friend, we love hiking and the outdoors...works for me.

sherrill
02-15-2008, 16:59
Someone yell when Southern Culture on the Skids make a show date out that way.:D

Good friends of mine. Opened for them a couple of times at Ziggy's in Winston Salem.

Both times we brought our pads/bags and crashed on stage after the show. The staff would bring out beer on ice in washtubs, and Rick would tell hilarious stories. The man you see on stage is the real deal.

buddha_child
02-15-2008, 17:43
Last year I met some hikers in GSMNP that were on their way and I was a tad jealous.:D
I went in 2006. Best lineup I've ever seen.

In three days I saw:
Radiohead, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Stevie Nicks showed up on stage and sang a little ditty with Petty, how cool is that?), BECK, Cat Power, Seu Jorge, BUDDY GUY, Damian Marley... those were the favorites... I was pleasantly surprised by Nickel Creek, The Refugee All-Stars of Sierra Leone, Matisyahu and so much more. You couldn't see all those bands on their own at the ticket price.

Yeah there are lots of people... but that's anywhere... after you got past the entrance there's tons of room to move around. Most everyone is friendly and I didn't stink nearly as bad as I have after a week on the trail without a shower.

Brought my own water. Had my wine confiscated at the entrance but it was my fault... i knew the rules. The food there was CHEAAAAPP and much better than any food i've had at any concert. Including amazing vegetarian choices with fresh... yes FRESH produce. We're given bags for recycleables and trash and there were drop off points where you could get raffle tickets for recycling.

Can't beat the hum in the air of thousands of likeminded folks smiling and laughing and having a good time.
Just don't camp next to the coke-heads ;)
What's with all the "hippy" hatin?
Aren't we all nature lovin tree-huggers?
:sunLotsa Love :sun

hobojoe
02-15-2008, 17:58
Last year I met some hikers in GSMNP that were on their way and I was a tad jealous.:D
I went in 2006. Best lineup I've ever seen.

In three days I saw:
Radiohead, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Stevie Nicks showed up on stage and sang a little ditty with Petty, how cool is that?), BECK, Cat Power, Seu Jorge, BUDDY GUY, Damian Marley... those were the favorites... I was pleasantly surprised by Nickel Creek, The Refugee All-Stars of Sierra Leone, Matisyahu and so much more. You couldn't see all those bands on their own at the ticket price.

Yeah there are lots of people... but that's anywhere... after you got past the entrance there's tons of room to move around. Most everyone is friendly and I didn't stink nearly as bad as I have after a week on the trail without a shower.

Brought my own water. Had my wine confiscated at the entrance but it was my fault... i knew the rules. The food there was CHEAAAAPP and much better than any food i've had at any concert. Including amazing vegetarian choices with fresh... yes FRESH produce. We're given bags for recycleables and trash and there were drop off points where you could get raffle tickets for recycling.

Can't beat the hum in the air of thousands of likeminded folks smiling and laughing and having a good time.
Just don't camp next to the coke-heads ;)
What's with all the "hippy" hatin?
Aren't we all nature lovin tree-huggers?
:sunLotsa Love :sun
Well put, I don't dislike hippies. I probably am one but given the connotations I would rather be called a nature lovin tree-hugger anyday. I am not "hip" after all. I had a similar experience in 2005. People like to talk about the negatives of the 'roo, but what abou 100+ good bands for like $200. If you don't like, it don't go I'll still have a great time dancing my a** off until 6 AM for 3 days. Seen this years line up yet?? Better than last's I think. Hope I can scam a ticket some how.

buddha_child
02-15-2008, 18:35
I hadn't checked the lineup for this year after I heard Pearl Jam and Metallica were going to be there.. I'm not hating on them.. just not interested... but since you asked i checked it out and i would LOVE to go... BB King!! Willie Nelson, The Allman Bros, MIA, LadyTron, The Fiery Furnaces! :) and there's a lot I've heard of but haven't had the chance to see. Sounds like it's gonna be a blast. But alas, I'm just a poor "hippy" and tickets are outta my range right now. I'm sure it's going to be great fun and I'll have to hear about it from my friends and get jealous.

But it's cool... I'm surrounded by mountains while they're surrounded by traffic... I think it's a fair trade. :D

aaroniguana
02-15-2008, 18:37
I probably am one but given the connotations I would rather be called a nature lovin tree-hugger anyday.

That's "nature lovin tree-huggin heathen", son.

I dig your point about getting jobs and driving SUVs and shopping at Walmart though. I don't do any of that but I did cut my hair and put on a uniform for 13 years. I've since come back to nature though...

Tennessee Viking
02-16-2008, 02:33
Personally, I am just not a big festival person. The biggest one I went to was Curiosa Festival. 7 bands + Cure on alternating stages. After seeing the backend of the interstate traffic, I wasn't interested.

I had friends who played it. Oh Gran Torino...greatest undiscovered funk rock band ever. James Brown meets Dave Matthews.

Bonnaroo can't be all bad this year if Death Cab, Krauss&Plant, and Vampire are playing. I am just trying to figure out why Metallica is playing.

And I thought Pearl Jam boycotted venues with high ticket prices and service fees.

minnesotasmith
02-16-2008, 05:48
Everyone I know that went claims to have spent over $1000 on drugs/alcohol during the event.

More than one thruhiker each year does this, too. :rolleyes: (Not me, God knows.)

Nearly Normal
02-16-2008, 07:03
Check out http://www.dawgnet.com/
Jerry Garcia and David Grisman did some good stuff together.

wakapak
02-16-2008, 15:42
looks like i may be going to the Roo after all!! can't say i've been to a festival this big, but i'll try anything once!! Woohooo!!!!

Frozen Bait
02-16-2008, 16:23
If you look at the lineup and are interested then go.
Went 03, 04 and 05, some of the best experience of my life. Lately the lineup just doesn't interest me (compared to the hassle) and I have been into the smaller festivals lately.

Anyone going to Wanee this year. I cant wait.
Wanee
April 11 and 12th
Live Oak FL
Allman Brothers Band (http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/)
GOV'T MULE
BOB WEIR & RATDOG
moe.
OTEIL & THE PEACEMAKERS
JJ GREY & MOFRO
THE LEVON HELM BAND
SCRAP0MATIC
LARRY McCRAY BAND
BONOBOS CONVERGENCE
LITTLE BROWN PEACH
THE FREQUENCY
INCA MAYA

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 17:05
just saw the news. Tn authorities made a ton of drug arrests along I-81. mostly bonnazoo attendees. those stupid deadhead stickers will get you every time :D

Tennessee Viking
06-16-2008, 17:34
The Roo...not going to touch that place. Its first year, I saw traffic back up on I24 from Manchester to Murfreesboro. I am glad I was going the other way.

My highway patrol buds were busy making DUI & drug busts all across the state of people claiming to be going to Bonaroo.

And when you have to pay $10 for a bottled water and sit in 90 degree heat. I will spend $10 for the same bottled water to seat in A/C'ed movie theater.

Tennessee Viking
06-16-2008, 17:40
just saw the news. Tn authorities made a ton of drug arrests along I-81. mostly bonnazoo attendees. those stupid deadhead stickers will get you every time :DI even saw a bunch of VA state police sitting along the interstate in between Abingdon and the stateline.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 17:41
I even saw a bunch of VA state police sitting along the interstate in between Abingdon and the stateline.

pseudo-hippies are easy targetss. ripe for the pickin' :)

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 17:44
The Roo...not going to touch that place. Its first year, I saw traffic back up on I24 from Manchester to Murfreesboro. I am glad I was going the other way.

My highway patrol buds were busy making DUI & drug busts all across the state of people claiming to be going to Bonaroo.

And when you have to pay $10 for a bottled water and sit in 90 degree heat. I will spend $10 for the same bottled water to seat in A/C'ed movie theater.

i went to this in may http://www.amjam.net/
awesome place. only 2 stages. only 3000 people

Bulldawg
06-16-2008, 21:05
i went to this in may http://www.amjam.net/
awesome place. only 2 stages. only 3000 people

I almost went to that, how was it, other than awesome?
:-?

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 21:10
I almost went to that, how was it, other than awesome?
:-?

great. don't miss it next year

Bulldawg
06-16-2008, 21:12
great. don't miss it next year

I might have to ride my mule or hike up there, but maybe we can see each other up there. I'd even buy ya a beer if ya wanted.

wahoo
06-16-2008, 23:50
Bonnadoodoo
I'd love to see some of those acts, but there's no way I could deal with that many fools trying to be soooo groovy in one place.
Just imagining the conditions of the port 'o crappers should be enough to keep people away...
Back in the day me and some dudes would hit the Lollapalooza tour when it would come around, but there comes a time in a man's life when it's no longer cool to get stoned and pass out in a drainage ditch with a fried turkey leg in one hand...

Tennessee Viking
06-17-2008, 01:20
Fun Fest in Kingsport TN is another great small gathering. Usually its headlined by upcoming or small acts. But every once in a while, it will invite some great veteran bands or suprising chart topping artists.

Last little fest I went to was the Curiosa Festival in Nash-thens. 2 alternating stages. Cure, Interpol, Muse...awesome plus it was $40 bucks for the premium seating.

Heater
06-17-2008, 01:46
I don't do drugs but I like outdoor festivals. I think I would enjoy something like Bonoroo. I have been to many of these through the years. You just gotta know how to do it right. Let's not degrade those that are just trying to have some fun in the this next millenium.

(jus' sayin')

Buncha fogies...

minnesotasmith
06-17-2008, 08:17

Why not just get something to drink elsewhere at market prices (e.g., 1/5th or less that price), drink it before you go into the theater, and watch the show for only the price of the ticket, as I do? :confused:

mudhead
06-17-2008, 10:41
but there comes a time in a man's life when it's no longer cool to get stoned and pass out in a drainage ditch with a fried turkey leg in one hand...

Good you got that stuff out of your system. Humorous when you are young and dumb. Not that I recall ever doing anything like that.