PDA

View Full Version : GSI Ultralight Soloist Cook System

queary82
02-14-2008, 05:40
Does anyone have this cook set or is thinking of buying this? I saw it in Backpacker magazine and I am thinking about buying it. The soloist is listed at $30 and the dualist is $50. www.gsioutdoors.com (http://www.gsioutdoors.com).

Heater
02-14-2008, 05:52
Does anyone have this cook set or is thinking of buying this? I saw it in Backpacker magazine and I am thinking about buying it. The soloist is listed at $30 and the dualist is $50. www.gsioutdoors.com. (http://www.gsioutdoors.com.)

I have a dualist. I haven't had a chance to cook in it yet. If it performs anything like my other GSI pots I am going to really like it.

I'll probably get a Soloist too. They are not really expensive.

Alligator
02-14-2008, 09:31
Any idea high much the orange bowl part weighs?

queary82
02-14-2008, 13:44
I'm not sure but REI says the whole system together weighs 9.5oz

headchange4u
02-14-2008, 17:15
I saw this cookware on freezerbagcooking.com and I really liked the looks and functionality of the system. I am hoping that my local outfitter starts to carry them so I can see them in the flesh. The Dualist set would be a great lightweight replacement for my GSI HA cook set.

Littlest Hobo
02-14-2008, 17:44
I think I have the older version of the GSI pot (the kind with the handle that splits in two and wraps around the pot when folded). Anyway, I find that the lexan/plastic lid expands a bit when I'm boiling water on my canister stove. So much so that the lid gets stuck and I have to pry it off.

Anybody else have that problem?

88BlueGT
02-15-2008, 13:31
I have heard of that happening, the guy at campmor said not to boil water with the lid on. I boiled water with it on top just opened a little bit so it was letting a little steam out and it seemed fine. I only did this once though. I'm not sure exactally what kit your talking about but if it came with a smaller pot also (really small) what you can do is flip that over and use that as you lid.

Skidsteer
02-15-2008, 13:38
I saw this cookware on freezerbagcooking.com and I really liked the looks and functionality of the system. I am hoping that my local outfitter starts to carry them so I can see them in the flesh. The Dualist set would be a great lightweight replacement for my GSI HA cook set.

I saw them at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day.

Heater
02-15-2008, 21:55

Well, I just cooked on it (the duo) and it gets a thumbs up. Cooked and simmered rice. No sticking, even heating. This is the best so far.

I will weigh the components and post them later. (I willnot gonna use the bowls though. Too heavy.)

I think I may be able to get by with the Solo.

Heater
02-15-2008, 22:00
Well, I just cooked on it (the duo) and it gets a thumbs up. Cooked and simmered rice. No sticking, even heating. This is the best so far.

I will weigh the components and post them later. (I willnot gonna use the bowls though. Too heavy.)

I think I may be able to get by with the Solo.

I should have mentioned no scorching of the rice. That is a BIG part of what I test.

queary82
02-15-2008, 23:52
I just ordered the soloist from REI this afternoon. It should be here by next weekend so I will test it out and let you all know how it turns out. From what I have read on here and from the customer reviews on REI, it looks to be a good cook set. I hope it is...

Heater
02-16-2008, 05:17

It is actually a bowl and cup set. Really two little bowls but one is insulated with a thin sleeve. (1/16th thickness)

1 1/2 for the non-insulated and 2 ounces for the insulated. 1/8 ounce for the lid which has a notch cut out of it to sip through.

Heater
02-16-2008, 05:25
It is actually a bowl and cup set. Really two little bowls but one is insulated with a thin sleeve. (1/16th thickness)

1 1/2 for the non-insulated and 2 ounces for the insulated. 1/8 ounce for the lid which has a notch cut out of it to sip through.

Oh, the sloist has only the 1 insulated bowl and lid.

Check out the PDF file.

Soloist and Dualist (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/images/products/manuals/50142_q_n.pdf)

Manwich
05-12-2009, 10:06
Just wanted to let everybody know, the Sea To Summit X-Mug (collapsable silicone bowl, 2c capacity) fits perfectly into the soloist, as if it was made for it. The X-Mug is 2.4oz, since its silicone you can cut away as much as you want (it'll still be heavier than the default mug) but if you lose/destroy your bowl you can always replace it with this.

My GSI Soloist now fits:
- 2 Sea to Summit X-Mugs
- A small Bic Lighter
- MSR Pocket Rocket
- Snowpeak 110gram Isobutane Canister
- Titanium Spoon (Bent to fit inside)
- and Several Days worth of Tea Bags/Propel Drink Mix

sarbar
05-18-2009, 19:55
Btw, the sleeve on the mugs in the Soloist/Dualist is neoprene :) The new 2009 versions are even nicer. I took a 2009 version for myself this year and gave the older 2008 to Dicentra ;-)

winger
05-19-2009, 18:03
GSI solo = 10.7 oz.
My cookset:
White box stove, MSR tea kettle pot and cup, lighter, windscreen and aluminum ground flashing, Granite Gear pot cozy, and titanium spork = 10 oz.

Nevertheless I like the looks of the GSI and the non stick coating etc, so its probably a little bit of a trade off in terms of total weight.

lbbrown
05-19-2009, 22:37
Got my Dualist set at REI on sale for $34. Different package- didn't say Pinnacle. Teflon coated pot too.

SMSP
11-01-2009, 04:05
I have the GSI Soloist and have been very pleased with it. The pot holds approx. 40oz of fluid to the rim. But for realistic appliaction, it can hold 32oz with plenty of room to add food. The cup/bowl holds approx. 14oz to the rim. Realisitc use, for me, with the cup/bowl is 12oz when making tea/coffee. Or, the cup/bowl holds two packets of grits or oatmeal with plenty of room for mixing. The cup/bowl is marked inside with 4oz, 8oz, and 12oz markings. The markings are difficult to see. I accented the markings with a fine tip Sharpie.

If one is using the Mountain Hse meals and such, then the pot is really only used for boiling water. One meal I made recently while overnighting in my area was taking the Teriyaki Chicken (Mountain Hse) and preparing in the main GSI pot, then I added a 7oz pouch of chicken breast. The was a hearty meal for one or a good meal to share with someone else.

The lid works double duty. I have not had any issues with the lid while using it with the GSI pot or cup/bowl. The lid one way fits the pot, the lide the other way snaps onto the cup/bowl, which is great for steeping one's tea/coffee. Then the lid can remain on the cup/bowl to retain the heat of your drink and makes a nice sippy for drinking.

I supplement my GSI cookset with a SnowPeak 600ml titanium mug. I really do not need this additional mug, but I like to have my whole meal prepared at once. So what happens is, I use the GSI main pot for boiling water. Pour what I need into food pouch, then pour what is needed in the GSI cup/bowl, then pour what is needed in the SnowPeak.

If I want to go with minimal cookware, I could go with just the SnowPeak and use it to drink from and eat from. Only down side is that can only drink when drink is in it. But if using the food pouches, then it is doable.
Only issue with the lid was with trying to use it when boiling water with the SnowPeak. The plastic lid overhangs the SnowPeak and the heat from the PocketRocket got about a quarter inch of the edge of the lid. Not a big deal though, just do not use the plastic lid with SnowPeak.

As far as packing up the GSI Soloist. Pocket Rocket is placed in bottom of main cooking pot. The Pocket Rocket is wrapped with a 6" x 7" camp towel I cut into a rag. For me, this helps keep the corners of the Pocket Rocket covered while in the main pot to prevent scratching the main surface. This rag also doubles as a heat mitten if needed and can be used for cleaning. So, Pocket Rocket in bottom of pot wrapped in rag. Some tea/cofffee bags thrown in next to Pocket Rocket and a book of MRE matches. Next, the small cansister of fuel, then cup/bowl on top of that, then plastic lid, flip over handle, set in carrying bag. The bag could also double as a sink basin or water gatherer for filtering.

Overall, I am pleased with the GSI Soloist. I ordered it from a company in Portland (cant remember the name) for 29.95 w/ free shipping about a year ago. I am considering the Dualist for when the spouse or daughter comes along.

SMSP

Secret Squirrel
11-01-2009, 05:47
I have the dualist. It works perfect when I have my wife and daughter with me. I throw in enough sporks for everyone and there is sufficient cookware for the three of us. When I am by myself, I just take out the extra bowls to save a couple of ounces. I really like the sack it comes in , because it can be used as a sink for washing. I am sure there are lighter options, but this works well for me.