PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with Western Mount. Ultralite??

ofthearth
02-14-2008, 10:44
Thinking of getting this bag and though I see a number of posts on WB about what people like about this bag I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it. I'm 6'0''. Do I get the large and a couple of ozs or stick with the reg? Seems like some of the weight savings come from the lighter cover material. Is this a problem? Good bag for a March 1 start? I sleep cold so will have extra clothes. Any insights appreciated.

tia
ofthearth

Mocs123
02-14-2008, 11:35
I have this bag and have been very happy with it. You should be fine with the regular as I am six fet tall also and don't have any problems. You should be aware that the bag is a little narrow (59") when compared to other bags, but WM does make a wider version (the Alpinelite?) of the same bag. I am a cold sleeper also and have had mine down to 18* so with some extra clothes and a good pad, you should be fine, but I am sure you will have some cold nights. You might look at the WM Versalite (also wider than the Ultralite) if you want somthing that will really keep you warm.

slowandlow
02-14-2008, 12:07
I too am 6'0 and love mine. It is cut narrow, so it probably works best for slimmer people. I'm about 170 lbs, and it isn't too tight for me. It easily surpasses it's 20 deg. rating when zipped up tight, and is the lightest bag of this ilk that still has a full length zipper and can be used as a quilt over you for warmer weather.

Jason of the Woods
02-14-2008, 12:13
I'm 5'10" and own one. The fact that it weighs a pound outweighs any negatives. I have the 6'6" one to put my clothes in in the cold. So far it has been awesome. We have made a lot of trips this winter in it and I usually am too warm if anything.

A-Train
02-14-2008, 14:47
Yes, awesome bag. I love mine. It's got thousands of miles on it. I've got the long, and would recommend you getting the long, but if other folks who are your height are OK with the regular, I guess its OK.

This was the unofficial PCT bag last season. At least 50 percent of thru-hikers were using one. Should tell you something....

It's fine for a March 1st start

Rcarver
02-14-2008, 15:05
I love this bag. I'm 5'10" and have the long just so i can get in it a little more for warmth. I have a
couple western bags and would not think of changing to another brand. I went with the overfill.

John B
02-14-2008, 15:32
I think the issue is less your height and more your shoulder width. I'm 6'0, weigh 208, and wear a size 48 jacket. I have the WM Ultra and it's very snug in the shoulders. If I were to do it again, I'd get one that has a greater shoulder width. Other than that, it's a great bag -- light and an honest temp rating.

bigcranky
02-14-2008, 16:07
It's a narrow cut mummy, so if it fits you, it's all good.

Note that the conventional wisdom on WM bags is that they run a little short. My wife, Dragonfly, has the Ultralite. She's 5-4, and should easily fit in the Short bag, but didn't -- and bought the Regular instead. If you are right at 6-feet, you might try them both, but I'd get the longer bag if it were me.

(I have a Megalite b/c at 210 pounds and a 44-inch chest there is no way I am fitting in an Ultralite.)

River Runner
02-14-2008, 18:26
I'm 5'5" and use the regular. It's hard to advise on your height & not knowing your shoulder girth, but I think the long also gives a bit more shoulder girth which might be worth it, especially if you want to wear extra clothes in the bag which you might for a March start.

If you can find one try it out to see if you feel comfortable with the width. If not, what I did was to take an old sheet and pin it to the same width & then get in & see if I felt comfortable. I was fine, and have used it zipped down to 20 & was fine. Usually I use it in quilt mode though & it's more comfortable obviously that way.

It's a high quality bag & the temp rating is spot on for me.

gumball
02-14-2008, 19:52
I'm 5'4" and about 120 lbs., and the regular fits me well. I haven't been on Springer in March yet, but I've slept out in very cold weather (I'm a cold sleeper), and have generally felt pretty good. Yes, in the very cold, I also need to sleep with my clothes on, and a hat. I also carry a silk liner when we pack out in the winter weather, just in case. Love the bag.

Gum

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 19:58
Curious ...those who know. Does this bag compare well with the Marmot Helium. Actually looking at both of these bags right now and interested in any feedback.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

bigcranky
02-14-2008, 21:41
Curious ...those who know. Does this bag compare well with the Marmot Helium. Actually looking at both of these bags right now and interested in any feedback.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

If I recall correctly, the Helium has a half-zipper, and the Ultralite has a full zipper. Otherwise they are both very very good bags.

Mad Hatter 08
02-16-2008, 01:21
i so wanted this bag. but after a few financial setbacks i had to say the 360 was too pricey for me. i found a tnf blue kazoo on clearance though and it's nice and toasty.

Roland
02-16-2008, 04:01
If I recall correctly, the Helium has a half-zipper, and the Ultralite has a full zipper. Otherwise they are both very very good bags.

The Helium did have a half-zipper; until a few weeks ago. As was recently pointed-out in another thread, the 2008 Helium has a full zipper.

gumball
02-16-2008, 08:03
I do like the full zipper on this and will often sleep with it like a quilt when its warm enough to do so.

Marta
02-16-2008, 08:41
I do like the full zipper on this and will often sleep with it like a quilt when its warm enough to do so.

Ditto. In fact, I rarely zip the bag up. If it's so cold out that the tiniest drafts are bothersome, I have the option of sealing them out. I really like the stiffened strip alongside the zipper--usually prevents that annoying problem with catching fabric.

The only negative comment I can make about the Ultralite concerns the hood. It's a bit weird.

River Runner
02-16-2008, 16:18
Ditto. In fact, I rarely zip the bag up. If it's so cold out that the tiniest drafts are bothersome, I have the option of sealing them out. I really like the stiffened strip alongside the zipper--usually prevents that annoying problem with catching fabric.

The only negative comment I can make about the Ultralite concerns the hood. It's a bit weird.

Good points Marta. The Ultralite has the most snag-free zipper I have ever seen on a bag. I've never had it catch. The hood is a little shallow, but it works okay for me.

Kerosene
02-16-2008, 16:41
I think I'm the only Ultralite user who's ever had a cold night in this bag (30F), but only on that particular night (the second in this bag). I may have worn too much clothing and compressed the loft, or perhaps I wasn't sufficiently hydrated. So many other people love this bag that I'd take the risk if it fits you.

Marta
02-17-2008, 00:14
I think I'm the only Ultralite user who's ever had a cold night in this bag (30F)...

I wouldn't say that. :D I have a warmer bag I use when I expect really cold weather. If I'm expecting 20 or lower, I go with the warmer bag. I'm a very cold sleeper.

It's a great bag, wonderfully made, light, and compressable. But it can't work miracles.

Rcarver
02-17-2008, 11:41
I've used the bag down in the middle teens and slept warm. But of course, we all sleep a differently. Wht i like about the Western bags verses Marmot is Western offers which side the zipper is located. I sleep mostly on my right side, so i perfer the zipper on that side. This way my back dosen't get cold. I don't think you would go wrong with either bag. Altough i am a little partial to Western bags.