PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy ULA gear

EMAN
02-14-2008, 12:31
Does ULA have dealers or do you have to buy stuff only through them?
Looking to possibly buy a Amigo Pro. Wrote them yesterday but haven't received a reply. Still early yet out there but thought I'd ax here. Can't seem to find anything from the usual outfitters online, i.e. REI, Backcountry, etc.

Bearpaw
02-14-2008, 12:33
Looking to possibly buy a Amigo Pro. Wrote them yesterday but haven't received a reply. Still early yet out there but thought I'd ax here. Can't seem to find anything from the usual outfitters online, i.e. REI, Backcountry, etc.

ULA-equipment.com is the best place unless you live near Neel's Gap and Mountain Crossing's Outfitters there. I believe Brian also sells some equipment at Mount Roger's Outfitters in Damascus. But in Nashvile, the best option is online.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 12:33
MRO here in Damascus sells ULA

greentick
02-14-2008, 12:34
Order the amigo pro off of the ULA website. If you don't like it send it back. Brian is pretty liberal about returns if you don't like the item.

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 12:37
Haven't been there for a while but Winton Porter carried their line of packs at Mt Crossings - Walasi-Yi (Neels Gap)

'Slogger

EMAN
02-14-2008, 12:38
When I went to Trail Days a couple of years ago I thought I had seen a ULA pack or two in there but when I looked at "gear" for MRO online, they didn't list ULA. But heck, that was yesterday and I cannot remember whether I just looked for the Amigo or ULA gear altogether...geez...
I'll do the online thing.
Thanks folks.

Yep....just went there and they do list the packs. DUH1
No Amigo though.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2008, 12:40
When I went to Trail Days a couple of years ago I thought I had seen a ULA pack or two in there but when I looked at "gear" for MRO online, they didn't list ULA. But heck, that was yesterday and I cannot remember whether I just looked for the Amigo or ULA gear altogether...geez...
I'll do the online thing.
Thanks folks.

http://mtrogersoutfitters.com/gear.asp?fn=l&cat=3

ofthearth
02-14-2008, 12:54

From the ULA page. He does answer the phone for questions. I ordered a pack online last week and it was in the mail the next day or so.

ULA-Equipment
Questions? Please feel free to contact us. E-mail is typically the most reliable, but when the phone rings we answer it...at least Tuesday through Thursday.

Customer Service:
Tel: (435)-753-5191
Fx: (435)-753-5190

Tuesday: 9 am-5 pm
Wednesday: 9 am-5 pm
Thursday: 9 am-5 pm

159 N 200 E
Logan, Utah 84321

winger
02-14-2008, 13:01
Brian is very accessible and answered my questions promptly. After I ordered he actually had the pack to me sooner than I had anticipated. I have a Catalyst, and am very happy with it.

Lyle
02-14-2008, 13:30
Speed of delivery probably depends on how busy Brian is. He is a great guy, very helpful. When I got my P2 a couple of years ago, I had to wait about 3 weeks if I remember, but it was made to my specifications (material, options, size). Brian was upfront about how long it would take - I have no complaints.

The pack is fantastic, been using it for a couple of years now and the only sign of wear is a small hole in one of the mesh pockets, not sure how it got there, but it does not affect function. I recommend ULA without hesitation.

minnesotasmith
02-14-2008, 18:32
Order the amigo pro off of the ULA website. If you don't like it send it back. Brian is pretty liberal about returns if you don't like the item.

There is much to be said in favor of MC, but their heavier-duty pack selection is NOT among them. I got their toughest pack before my 2006 thruhike, and its straps kept blowing out on me. They eventually tired of sending me replacement ones along the way (refusing to lean on Dana to send me a set that weren't defective), and I had to find a workable pack through someone else.

The lessons IMO:

1) MC needs to stock Gregory packs.

2) For packs to carry over 40 pounds, don't buy at MC.

3) Did I mention MC needs to carry Gregory packs? ;)

the_iceman
02-14-2008, 18:39
I hiked the first part of my thru with a Catalyst and when I went into MRO they told me it was the wrong size and you should not carry more than 20 lbs in it even though a I had a dual stay. Brian said I would be comfortable at 35 and could go 40 once in awhile leaving town.

Bottomline is I did have the wrong size but MRO told me I needed a small. I got measured at Trail Days by a bunch of factory reps and I wear a medium not a small or the large that I had.

Brian takes off for extended periods which can be a problem if you need parts like a smaller waist belt or a new pack in the middle of your hike.

Otherwise the packs are great and the service is great.

A-Train
02-14-2008, 18:39
There is much to be said in favor of MC, but their heavier-duty pack selection is NOT among them. I got their toughest pack before my 2006 thruhike, and its straps kept blowing out on me. They eventually tired of sending me replacement ones along the way (refusing to lean on Dana to send me a set that weren't defective), and I had to find a workable pack through someone else.

The lessons IMO:

1) MC needs to stock Gregory packs.

2) For packs to carry over 40 pounds, don't buy at MC.

3) Did I mention MC needs to carry Gregory packs? ;)

Gregory packs are excellent, and very well-made. I stand by them and recommend them for heavier loads. That being said, MC's business is tricking people out with the lightest stuff possible, cutting weight where they can for thru-hikers, not selling heavy packs. Though, they should have SOME heavier options. Have you asked Winton or called in a suggestion about this?

mudhead
02-14-2008, 18:57
and its straps kept blowing out on me. They eventually tired of sending me replacement ones along the way (refusing to lean on Dana to send me a set that weren't defective), and I had to find a workable pack through someone else.

I still cannot figure out how you got that much into or on a Bridger.

Didn't the suspension flop, before it blew out?

Lilred
02-14-2008, 19:00
I got my ULA P-2 back in 2005 from Mountain Crossings. They fitted it to me nicely. I love my pack and also highly recommend them. I have carried nearly 40lbs in it, and I felt it in the shoulders after about 8 hours. Mostly I carry 26-31lbs, and sometimes I forget I'm wearing the thing.

Swiss Roll
02-14-2008, 21:44
I emailed Brian last week with a question. It took him a few days to answer. Very helpful in his response. I can't wait to get my Catalyst from him.

Survivor Dave
02-14-2008, 21:55
Yeah Sloggs, Mtn. Xings usually has them, but they are out as of today. More expected soon. Manufacturer is having difficulty keeping up with demand as I was told.

Haven't been there for a while but Winton Porter carried their line of packs at Mt Crossings - Walasi-Yi (Neels Gap)

'Slogger

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 22:01
Yeah Sloggs, Mtn. Xings usually has them, but they are out as of today. More expected soon. Manufacturer is having difficulty keeping up with demand as I was told.
=====================

Doesn't surprise me ...ULA packs are top drawer !!

'Slogger

Egads
02-14-2008, 22:04
ULA = Great Packs

Mountain Crossings = Great Outfitter

minnesotasmith
02-15-2008, 01:17
I still cannot figure out how you got that much into or on a Bridger.

Didn't the suspension flop, before it blew out?

The straps were poorly designed was the problem. There was a seam on the outside of the straps at collarbone level which was secured only with thin cotton thread. It should have been A) sewed up with thick 50+ pound-test synthetic thread, and B) had that seam thread connected structurally to the thick sturdy black plastic stay inside (by running through some holes drilled in it).

Dana refused after many calls to send me one with that flaw fixed, just sending me flimsy-seamed set after flimsy-seamed set. :mad:

No more Dana packs for me, ever.

Re how I carried weight...

I had a Marmot "wet rib" waist pouch that held the day's maps, Wingfoot, lunch, a liter Nalgene, and a few odds and ends like Bodyglide stick and chapstick. I would also commonly stick a headlamp in it at my last rest stop before dark, if there was any chance I'd be hiking after dark.

Too, I had my tent (Henry Shires tarptent Virga II) and full-length Thermarest/Tyvek roll positioned vertically on the sides, along with 1-2 external one-liter Nalgene water bottles in add-on holders. I commonly tied my full Ursack on the bottom of my pack on the outside (contractor bag around it to shield it from UV), as it handled rock abrasion well when on pack-off breaks. On leaving towns, I'd often have an external bag tied in back holding paper goods (TP/paper towels) for the first day or two, til I used up some consumables (mainly food) in my pack and made room there.