PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking with Kids

Ashman
02-14-2008, 14:56
My eight year old wants to go on a backpacking trip with me. I live in Central NC (Greensboro/Triad) any suggestions for a short hike (say 4-8 miles) that is in a reasonble driving distance from Greensboro?

Possum Bill
02-14-2008, 15:19
It's probably too far for you to drive, but I took my 9-year old on an overnight A.T. trip from Indian Grave Gap to the Nolichucky River last summer (in Erwin). It's 8 miles and almost all downhill. Curley Maple Gap shelter is about four miles in, at the halfway point, which makes a good campsite.

He went on a couple of other trips last year with me, but this one was his favorite since it wasn't very strenuous. Whereever you go, I'd just make sure it was a very easy (and mostly downhill) hike. It seems like my children don't mind extra miles as much if it's easy walking, but if there's a tough hill or two to climb then the whining really starts.

steve43
02-14-2008, 20:29
try harper creek falls trail in the wilson creek wilderness area. nothing to athletic, not too long of a hike, good water source and lots of places to camp. took my sons there when they were that age....

fifo

Ashman
02-14-2008, 20:35
That looks perfect! Is it the kind of place you need maps for or are the trails laid out well?

Bob S
02-14-2008, 20:37
Wherever you go he will love it, kids love to camp.

Pick a place you can have a fire, make it his job to tend the fire and cook over it. He will have a smile on his face all the while. There is something magical about a camp fire…

Ashman
02-14-2008, 21:03
Actually, its a she, I have two girls, both love to camp. My older daughter is 8 and has a great adventuering spirit. SinceI went backpacking last Nov, she has been asking me to take her. She love the gear and you are right, they LOVE a good campfire! I know her pack will have her sleeping bag some clothes and not much else but I am glad she wants to do this with me.

Bootstrap
02-14-2008, 21:15
A few more possibilities, all in North Carolina:

- Overmountain Victory Trail - starting at the end of Roaring Creek Road (off of 19E), up to the Overmountain Shelter. I'm guessing it's a mile or so up to the shelter from the parking lot (someone here will know).

- Widow's Creek Trail in Stone Mountain, about 2.5 miles in to the camp site.

- Uwharrie National Forest, several possibilities.

- Eno River State Park, Durham, Fanny's Ford, for a totally simple, easy hike with a closed gate and rangers around. Easy place for kids to feel more secure.

I have a 10 year old daughter who wants to do the same, so I'm scoping it out for this year ...

Jonathan

bigcranky
02-14-2008, 21:35
It's a longer drive, but the Mt Rogers area in Virginia is pretty cool. Balds, creeks, wild ponies -- everything an 8 year old likes. Park at Massey Gap in the Grayson Highlands State Park, and hike out past Wise Shelter on the AT -- about 2-3 miles -- and camp in a beautiful creek valley near Wilson Creek. Yes, you need maps.

It's exactly 2 hours from Winston-Salem, so maybe another 30 minutes depending on where you are in GSO.

Ashman
02-14-2008, 21:53
Wild ponies? Do they roam free in the park? If so I think we may have a winner! Any fees to park and hit the AT?

Swiss Roll
02-14-2008, 21:53
I had a successful first trip with my eight year-old last year. The smartest thing I did was pick a trail that had lots of campsites along the way. Actually I kinda lucked into it since I had never been there before, either. We just walked until he said he was tired and we stopped at the nearest site. No pressure, just good times.

Ashman
02-14-2008, 21:56
Good advice swiss. I think my daughter just wants the gear. (like we DON'T!) She has fallen in love with a kids camelback at REI, its Pink!

weary
02-14-2008, 23:37
With kids that age I like to backpack to a place to camp that has interesting day hikes nearby. Backpack in, camp, day hike, camp, backpack out.

Chimney Pond, halfway up Katahdin is ideal, but it's a long ways from North Carolina. But there must be similar opportunities near you.

Weary

Summit
02-15-2008, 06:43
A great hike that your girls would absolutely love would be the Raven Cliffs trail off Richard Russell Scenic Hwy, near Helen, GA. Doesn't exactly meet your "not too far away" criteria . . . from Greensboro it's probably a 6-7 hour drive, but it is a 3-mile nearly flat, follows beautiful Dick's Creek all the way, and ends at the words cannot describe Raven Cliffs water fall. It's the environment kids (boys or girls) will absolutely love.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-15-2008, 09:27
Wild ponies? Do they roam free in the park? If so I think we may have a winner! Any fees to park and hit the AT?

Grayson Highlands is one of my kids' favorite places: rocks to scramble on, good views, and the ponies. They do roam free and are pretty tame - some of them will eat carrots or apples out of your hand and let you pet them.

bigcranky
02-15-2008, 15:37
There's a daily parking fee at the state park of a dollar to two. There are plenty of trails and good campsites in the area -- PM me if you want some specific ideas.

steve43
02-18-2008, 10:15
That looks perfect! Is it the kind of place you need maps for or are the trails laid out well?

trail is laid out well and easy to follow.... a map would still be a good idea because there are a ton of trails in the wilson creek area.... they usually stock maps at CBS sports in morganton and you pass the store on the way to the trail..... and i agree with the other posters who have suggested grayson highlands.... my boys got a big kick out of the wild ponies....as a matter of fact, i have a picture of my now 17 year old's first steps on the AT when he was two.... can't go wrong with grayson highlands....

fifo

uwharriebackpacker
02-18-2008, 11:52
you could come down myy way to the uwharries. plenty of options trail wise and if that doesent work there are a ton of places around the lakes that kids could fish or day hike. about an hour from greensboro.

Ashman
02-18-2008, 11:55
Is that the Morrow Mountain area? I haven't been there but I thought it looked like a good spot for car camping, didn't know if it had some deceant backpacking

uwharriebackpacker
02-18-2008, 12:30
morrow mtn is a nice place. imo their trails are more of day hiking trails. the uwharries are about 15-20 min from there with more options of trails for better distances.

Lilred
02-18-2008, 14:57
young girls and ponies?? it's a no brainer. They'll love it.

Ashman
02-18-2008, 15:36
young girls and ponies?? it's a no brainer. They'll love it.

That was my thought! We went to Shackleford Banks and loved the ponies then. Can you feed the ponies at Grayson?