PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Hennessy Hammocks with top-loading type

BR360
02-14-2008, 14:58
Has anyone had any experience with both HH and hammocks that load from the top, like ENO (Eagle Nest Outfitters).

Specifically, I'm wondering about the functional comparisons, and preferences from people have used both. :-? If you have used only one type, please belay your thoughts.

I like lying on the diagonal in my HH, to get flatter. I don't really like:(:

getting in thru the bottom even though it is stable,
the fact that I can't use the HH as a chair, and
I can't just reach out and grab something, close the tarp overhead, etc. since the HH netting is permanently affixed.Seems like an ENO-type, with detachable bug net, would fit my needs better. But I don't want to purchase until I've heard some user-comments.

Thanks.

take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 15:09
I've only used the Hennessy but I'm contemplating a top loading hammock for the following reasons:

1) You don't have to carry a bugnet in the winter

2) For winter use, this eases the use of a hammock sock.

I bought a Mountain Laurel Design hammock bug net and I plan to make a hammock from the plans posted on Hammockforums.com by Headchange4U. There is a link to the plans at the bottom of his posts.

Ramble~On
02-14-2008, 15:19
I have a HH, an ENO DoubleNest, A Clark North American and a Byer.

The HH to me is a lot like a bivy that you hang between two trees.
You are either inside the HH or out...there isn't really any in between.
It is possible to reach through the slit opening and get to things nearby and to cook. Don't get me wrong though...I like my HH and get a great nights sleep in it.
The ENO IMHO is the more comfortable of my hammocks, can be used easily and quite comfortably as a chair/lounger.
The Clark is kind of a cross between the ENO and the HH and has many different setup options.
You can't go wrong with an ENO...and for the price...they're a great way to find out if hammocking is for you or not.
I use a 10x12' silnylon tarp, the "Guardian" bugnet and homemade slapstraps

BR360
02-14-2008, 15:29
The ENO IMHO is the more comfortable of my hammocks, can be used easily and quite comfortably as a chair/lounger....

SpiritWind, Thanks for the informative reply. (I get a great night's sleep in my HH, too.:))

Can one sleep on the diagonal in the ENO, as the HH is designed to do?

BR360
02-14-2008, 15:33
I plan to make a hammock from the plans posted on Hammockforums.com by Headchange4U. There is a link to the plans at the bottom of his posts.

Thanks, Take-a-Knee!

FanaticFringer
02-14-2008, 18:41
SpiritWind, Thanks for the informative reply. (I get a great night's sleep in my HH, too.:))

Can one sleep on the diagonal in the ENO, as the HH is designed to do?

Yes you can sleep on the diagonal in a Eno. That's the best way to sleep in one. I have a Treklight double hammock and that is the way I sleep in it. Well used to sleep in it.
The Hennessy IMO makes a great chair/lounger. Just loosen the tension on the supports and let it sag some. Follow these great instructions. http://hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-chair.html
I have used several hammocks and now prefer the JRB bridge hammock. If your slim in build, you might want to consider it also. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
Sleeping on my back like in the picture, with arms crossed over my chest is beyond comfortable.

BR360
02-14-2008, 19:11
Thanks, Fanatic Fringe.
Since yoiu've had some experience, how does using the HH as chair/lounger affect its durability? Seems like it would put extra stress on the bug netting, which seems pretty weak...

FanaticFringer
02-14-2008, 19:15
Thanks, Fanatic Fringe.
Since yoiu've had some experience, how does using the HH as chair/lounger affect its durability? Seems like it would put extra stress on the bug netting, which seems pretty weak...

I never noticed any stress. Then again I'm around 160lbs.:o
Some folks over at hammock forums have removed their bugnet on their Hennessy hammocks. They rigged it with a small carabiner and were able to attach and remove it. The details escape me really since it has been a while since it was talked about over there. Might wanna ask over there or do a search. Or both.

FanaticFringer
02-14-2008, 19:20
Ah I knew I was missing something. I meant to say they cut the ridgeline in order to for the chair to work better.www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182&highlight=removable+bugnet

Trail Trooper
02-14-2008, 19:35
The HH makes it easy to take a pee in the middle of the night. just drop down and go

FanaticFringer
02-14-2008, 19:54
The HH makes it easy to take a pee in the middle of the night. just drop down and go

Do you go between the velcro opening? What about #2 :D:eek:

Ashman
02-14-2008, 19:57
That takes a bit more balance and aim!

kayak karl
02-14-2008, 20:00
somebody in hammockfourms.net put a zipper in the bug screen of HH for top load.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3081&highlight=zipper

oldfivetango
02-14-2008, 20:23
You can use the HH as a chair if you go look at their
website.I like mine just fine and wish I could use it in
the house.
Oldfivetango

BR360
02-14-2008, 22:14
Thanks, everyone. While I may try the zipper route, at this stage I'm more inclined to just buy an ENO, and sew a bug tent to contain the whole thing, as that in fact may be simpler.

I'll probably try a homemade version first, tho...As I can do that pretty easily, and I've some leftover 1.1 oz. ripstop.

take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 23:17
Thanks, everyone. While I may try the zipper route, at this stage I'm more inclined to just buy an ENO, and sew a bug tent to contain the whole thing, as that in fact may be simpler.

I'll probably try a homemade version first, tho...As I can do that pretty easily, and I've some leftover 1.1 oz. ripstop.

If you are a big guy you may want to double that 1.1 and have a pad pocket.

FanaticFringer
02-14-2008, 23:29
If you are a big guy you may want to double that 1.1 and have a pad pocket.

That's a good idea. Pad pockets make a big difference as far as comfort IMO.
If I were a big guy, I might use 1.9 oz. on top and the 1.1 oz ripstop on bottom as the pocket. Using both 1.1 oz might work for you though.

Tinker
02-14-2008, 23:44
I was thinking that, on hammocks with built in bug netting, you could flip the hammock over and the bug netting would hold an insulating pad underneath. Would probably work with Byer and similar models.

BillyBob58
02-14-2008, 23:51
Thanks, Fanatic Fringe.

The netting on mine has proven quite durable after some accidental stress testing the first night I ever used it! It makes the best chair, IMO. I also have a Speer top loader. As FF said, the key is to loosen it while in chair mode, then it is very comfortable, a nice flat seat.

Tinker
02-15-2008, 00:27
I can't do this with my Hennessy:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

Ramble~On
02-15-2008, 05:14

Peeing whilst in HH is a PITA!
ENO or any top loader....simply lean and pee...course this does take into account that you have nothing under your hammock in the direction the peeing will take place.:eek:

Going back to post #4 Can you lay diagonal in an ENO...
:D Oh Yeah! and if you get yourself a DoubleNest...you'll see why so many ENO users say good things about them.
As with all hammocks you have to get the pitch right and when you find the sweet spot in the ENO you'll know it.
I am not crazy about the Guardian Bug Net and think that with a little DIY time you can come up with a bug netting that will suit you better than the Guardian.

It took me a very long time to get used to the birth canal of my HH.
It has and continues to serve me well and I'm sure I'll use it again.
I like the HH for colder weather and use it with an underquilt and a top cover that I put over the mesh made out of spandex.

The Clark North American is another excellent hammock and really cool design...it's a top loader with mesh and a weather barrier. it has 6 pocket attached to the hammock which are handy...what it lacks though is the ability to get as diagonal as the HH or ENO.

As for using a HH as a chair/lounger.... HH's not even in the same league as the ENO/SPEER or other top loading type hammock.

:rolleyes: I stuck a couple bolts into the walls in my guest bedroom and am able to use a hammock...which works out great when planning/making modifications or drying it out after cleaning it.

kayak karl
02-15-2008, 07:31
I was thinking that, on hammocks with built in bug netting, you could flip the hammock over and the bug netting would hold an insulating pad underneath. Would probably work with Byer and similar models.
i used the HH standard tarp for that. cut it down and use a mattress pad from walmart in between them. has worked down to 17 so far.

ki0eh
02-15-2008, 09:35
Peeing whilst in HH is a PITA!

I'm starting to wonder if there is perhaps a gender differentiation...

BR360
02-19-2008, 17:00
somebody in hammockfourms.net put a zipper in the bug screen of HH for top load.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3081&highlight=zipper

Thanks, That's very helpful...

Ramble~On
02-19-2008, 18:35
I'm starting to wonder if there is perhaps a gender differentiation...

:-? My name's Doug !

zoidfu
02-19-2008, 18:39
Hey Spiritwind, how do you like the Doublenest? Does it cocoon too much? I went to get a double nest and the salesperson talked me into a single because of it.

BR360
02-19-2008, 18:40
Hey Spiritwind, how do you like the Doublenest? Does it cocoon too much? I went to get a double nest and the salesperson talked me into a single because of it.

What were his reasons? What do you mean by "cocoon too much?"

FanaticFringer
02-19-2008, 23:28
What were his reasons? What do you mean by "cocoon too much?"

I believe he is referring to how the double can kinda enclose you on the edges due to it's wider fabric. Not a big deal. It can actually add extra warmth cause it kinda traps warm air.

Ramble~On
02-19-2008, 23:39
If you are not on enough of a diagonal that can happen but it's easy to avoid and sometimes it's nice. I've thought about attaching some velcro to be able to close the hammock. I've tried the single and liked it but the room to stretch out in the double is worth the extra ? ounce.

gold bond
02-20-2008, 10:46
I am not a hammock person but have been researching the possibilities for a week or two. I have really enjoyed and certainaly appriciate you guys sharing your knowledge and experiences with me. Now for a new question...what about condensation? Is it a problem with hammocks? If so how do you remedy it?

Again, thanks for all you guys help.

BR360
02-20-2008, 19:25
Difference according to ENO website:
Singlenest = 18 ozs. $54.95
Doublenest = 22 ozs. $64.95

Am I right that the substitution of lightweight climbing carabiners will drop the weight?

FanaticFringer
02-20-2008, 19:51
I am not a hammock person but have been researching the possibilities for a week or two. I have really enjoyed and certainaly appriciate you guys sharing your knowledge and experiences with me. Now for a new question...what about condensation? Is it a problem with hammocks? If so how do you remedy it?

Again, thanks for all you guys help.

Here's a recent post about condensation www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2174&highlight=condensation