PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerky

Hikerwannabe
02-14-2008, 21:43
I need a GOOD simple recipe for Beef Jerky Does anybody have one? Looking for any good suggestions.

Cuffs
02-14-2008, 21:55
For an easy marinade, I use Moore's Teryaki. Good flavor, not overly salty...

there are more extensive (more ingredients) recipes, but for a good basic one, I like the Moores...

Dry at 145-155* for several hours (Takes me about 6-8 in a dehydrator, depending on the thickness of the cut.)

Erin
02-14-2008, 22:22
I make my own marinade. For two pounds of meat, add 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of vinegar, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, one teapsoon of ginger, 3/4 cup of vegetable oil and one green onion chopped. Marinate all day. (this is my flank steak marinade for grilling also). Drain the meat well and you are ready to dry it. I have found a local store that provides already cut flank for jerky frozen in just the right size. Just ask. Dehydrate 8-10 hours or longer until it has the slab consistency you prefer.

envirodiver
02-15-2008, 01:24
Erin, I like the sound of your marinade. I think I'll give it a try. I like mine, but hey if a better mouse trap comes along....

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2008, 01:30
I need a GOOD simple recipe for Beef Jerky Does anybody have one? Looking for any good suggestions.
Here is the Alton Brown Good Eats recipe. Its a good poor mans jerky. No need for an expensive dehyrdrator. Just need a box fan, air filters, meat and spices.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_31151,00.html

Bob S
02-15-2008, 02:55
Soy Sauce (enough to sink the meat in) and 3 or 4 table spoons of liquid smoke and a handful of brown sugar (add to suit your taste)

Soak the meat and then put it in the drier.

I usually re-dip the meat ½ way through the drying process to give it more flavor.

Bob S
02-15-2008, 03:00
I forgot to mention that when you put the brown sugar in, give it about ½ hr to get soaked up into the sauce, mix it a few times. When you first add it, it will all pool at the bottom, but given a little while it mixes into the liquid.

Seeker
02-15-2008, 08:57
4 lbs of meat
1 c. soy sauce
1 c. worchestershire sauce
1/4 c. ketchup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp liquid smoke

marinate overnight and dehydrate the next day. it's fairly salty, but it's MY recipe, and i don't like much spice. i've tried rinsing it off and patting it dry before putting it on the trays, and most of the flavor stays in. i've also tried leaving it really wet, but it just gums up the dehydrator trays. what i usually do is just 'strip' each piece of excess liquid with my fingers before i put it in the tray, which seems to be a happy medium.

i've tried teriyaki, but it made my jerky sticky (maybe i need to just use less).

i never thought about the brown sugar ingrediant i saw earlier, and may give it a try in my next batch. thanks.

Mercy
02-15-2008, 09:55
Flavor with garlic salt and McCormick Grill Mates Spicy Montreal Steak
Pat it into the meat.
Cut the meat into strips
Put into a ziplock overnight with:
1/2 part lime juice
1 part Wrights Hickory Seasoning liquid smoke
2 part water
Drain the meat in a metal collinder
Dehydrate 165 degrees.

It really does better if you don't over-pack the dehydrator.

Erin
02-16-2008, 00:05
Envirodiver, let me know what you think. I am seeing some really good offerings on this thread also that I want to give a go.