PDA

View Full Version : Trail Godfather...Who is Yours?

Almost There
02-15-2008, 00:43
Alright, hear me out, or should it be read me out?:-? Anyways, here is a new trail term for people to start using.

Trail Godfather/Godmother: Hiker who dubs you with your trailname.

Obviously people who give themselves names would not have one. But as these names become special to us, often so do the people who give them to us, as they are always a part of our trailname story.

So for me, No Worries would be my Trail Godfather.

What do you guys and gals think? And also curious as to who would be your Trail Godfather/Godmother?:D

Tin Man
02-15-2008, 01:11
On my first section hike a few days after 9/11, I met a pilot who was grounded that morning. He was scheduled to fly two lucky guys to Nantucket for the day and a round of golf. It turns out they took the day off from working at the world trade center. Anyway, when we first saw him he was walking so fast and light, he practically flew right by us. When we caught up to him at the campsite that evening, I called him "wings". In turn, he called my brother "bartender" for sharing some of our whiskey around the campfire and called me "tin man" for the can of rocks I was using as a noisemaker as I hiked (a bear was reportedly active in the area and we saw lots of fresh scat). The first thru-hiker we met told us he had turned down a job at the world trade center to thru-hike. There was lots of godfathering going around that week.

Almost There
02-15-2008, 01:23
That's what I'm talking about, something and somebody you'll never forget.

ed bell
02-15-2008, 01:50
Non AT alert. Anyway, I met my buddy Wood back in 96' on the banks of the Chattooga. He was/is a true old school backpacker. Loved just getting out there. I remember always trying to join up with his constant weekend warrior trips. He showed me more about the Pisgah area than I could ever find on my own. Add to that the Roan Mountain, Mt. LeConte, and Cold Mountain winter trips we went on and I found a mentor that I will forever be thankful for. He has been active since the 70's and he still gets it done today. Just like I want to be.:sun

Almost There
02-15-2008, 01:52
Non AT alert. Anyway, I met my buddy Wood back in 96' on the banks of the Chattooga. He was/is a true old school backpacker. Loved just getting out there. I remember always trying to join up with his constant weekend warrior trips. He showed me more about the Pisgah area than I could ever find on my own. Add to that the Roan Mountain, Mt. LeConte, and Cold Mountain winter trips we went on and I found a mentor that I will forever be thankful for. He has been active since the 70's and he still gets it done today. Just like I want to be.:sun

I guess we could include trail mentors as well, it would make complete sense. Sounds like a great guy, Ed!:D

ed bell
02-15-2008, 02:08
I guess we could include trail mentors as well, it would make complete sense. Sounds like a great guy, Ed!:DI didn't mean to move in on your thread, but my story seemed to fit.

mweinstone
02-15-2008, 02:48
dumb boreing stupid morbid lousy horrible yuckk! not a fun thread. duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhow long do you think i can hold the h?hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhyythis was all done without useing copy and paste! hand made!hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

TOW
02-15-2008, 08:37
Alright Matty, I am going to trail name you "Bunghoolio."

mweinstone
02-15-2008, 08:42
i stuck a ski on my name . does this make me my own godfather? what the?

TOW
02-15-2008, 08:44
Well I guess you beat me to the punch Matty, can I be your god mother then?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-15-2008, 08:46
Trail Godfather/Godmother: Hiker who dubs you with your trailname.Our grandchildren have always called us the Dinosaurs so I guess they are our Godparents. Somehow this seems wrong....

Almost There
02-15-2008, 10:10
Matty, you hung out with Minnesota on top of Katahdin....'nough said!:D
....let's just say he said something to my wife to earn my eternal dislike, I won't say enmity or hatred...too strong, and not worth it.

Ed, didn't feel there was a hijacking going on!

Dino, you are indeed correct, that would be just wrong, however, I did date this girl in college whose mom married a man 20 years older than her. About a year later her sister married the man's son, making her sister....her mother-in-law!:eek:

gold bond
02-15-2008, 10:31
Matty, you hung out with Minnesota on top of Katahdin....'nough said!:D
....let's just say he said something to my wife to earn my eternal dislike, I won't say enmity or hatred...too strong, and not worth it.

Ed, didn't feel there was a hijacking going on!

Dino, you are indeed correct, that would be just wrong, however, I did date this girl in college whose mom married a man 20 years older than her. About a year later her sister married the man's son, making her sister....her mother-in-law!:eek:

Seems like somewhere down the line that tree ain't a gonna branch....hike fastee I'm a hearin' banjo music!

Johnny Thunder
02-15-2008, 10:38
i stuck a ski on my name . does this make me my own godfather? what the?

...rousing round of "I'm My Own Grandpa"...and...GO!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-15-2008, 10:46
My ex's former sister in law married my ex's father -- which made her her ex's stepmother and made her kids her step grandkids as well. Here's a youtube of a family reunion (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tFanvMG3agM&feature=related)

YeOldeBackpacker
02-15-2008, 10:55
That made my brain hurt trying to figure it out:rolleyes:
My ex's former sister in law married my ex's father -- which made her her ex's stepmother and made her kids her step grandkids as well. Here's a youtube of a family reunion (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tFanvMG3agM&feature=related)

The Weasel
02-15-2008, 10:55
Hacksaw. When I identified myself as 'your dad's friend in Michigan who's a a lawyer,' on the phone to his daughter in '00 just as I was about to start my thru attempt, she responded with, "Oh, yeah, you're the weasel he told me about."

TW

Cabin Fever
02-15-2008, 11:38
On my first section hike of the AT, my friends (Ben - "Hot Rod" and Jordan - "Walleye") dubbed me with TwoBy because I enjoy carpentry and I had just finished making a dining room table for my wife as a wedding gift.

Footslogger
02-15-2008, 11:48
It's probably have to be my Scoutmaster ...of course he doesn't even know it.

He handed me my first canvass frameless rucksack, mess kit, a list of what to bring and took us out in the Metropolitan Park Sytem (called the Emerald Necklace) around Cleveland, Ohio in around 1950.

He coached me on hiking styles, wilderness skills, making minimal impact (long before LNT) and flat walked my short little legs off over the next 6 or so years.

I was hooked ...and still am.

'Slogger

Lilred
02-15-2008, 16:11
For me, it was an '02 thru-hiker named Okie. We were hanging out at Trail Days when he found out my nickname from childhood was LiLRed. I wanted a new name for the trail, but he said it was a perfect trail name and proceeded to introduce me to everyone as LiLRed, so it stuck as my trail name. Boring story, but I'll never forget the fun I had with Okie that year.

tazie
02-16-2008, 13:12
My godmother posts here, she knows who she is. Everytime I hike the AT I am indebted to her. She taught me 3 important things: what the white blazes were, how to get to Katahdin, and lastly, sometimes, you have to eat a little ice cream after you hike...even if you say you don't like it. I love you, Mrs. B.

wakapak
02-16-2008, 13:36
For me, it was an '02 thru-hiker named Okie. We were hanging out at Trail Days when he found out my nickname from childhood was LiLRed. I wanted a new name for the trail, but he said it was a perfect trail name and proceeded to introduce me to everyone as LiLRed, so it stuck as my trail name. Boring story, but I'll never forget the fun I had with Okie that year.

I know Okie!!! Hiked with him a bit in 02, or at least around him...kept running into him on the trail!! Great guy!

Red Hat
02-16-2008, 13:55
Almost There, I'd be proud to have been named by Noworries. He is a great guy. I also know Okie, Lilred. Met him at Miss Janet's and have seen him several times at Traildays myself. I don't have a godparent, since I named myself. But I have named quite a few folks. Some didn't like the name I gave 'em and chose another. (Larry, Moe, and Curly for example...)

buff_jeff
02-17-2008, 00:27
I still don't have a trail name. :(

I did coin my Dad's, though. It's "Dumb ass."

ScottP
02-17-2008, 00:31
Able jack named me

girlnextdoor
02-18-2008, 10:28
My trail Godfather is Giggler!

Lilred
02-18-2008, 14:10
I know Okie!!! Hiked with him a bit in 02, or at least around him...kept running into him on the trail!! Great guy!

Almost There, I'd be proud to have been named by Noworries. He is a great guy. I also know Okie, Lilred. Met him at Miss Janet's and have seen him several times at Traildays myself. I don't have a godparent, since I named myself. But I have named quite a few folks. Some didn't like the name I gave 'em and chose another. (Larry, Moe, and Curly for example...)

Ya, he is a pretty great guy. Last communication I had with him was year before last. He said then he might see me on the trail in '08. I wrote him last week, so I hope I hear back from him.

Tinker
02-18-2008, 14:48
Jim, an old hiking companion, gave me my name (after several changes). Originally it was "Gadget", because I had all the gadgets back in the 80s and 90s, then we met a young woman southbound on the Long Trail named Gadget the following day, so "Tinker" is actually second choice.
Jim never got a "trail name".

sheepdog
02-18-2008, 17:56
I worked in various prisons for 28 plus years. In prison a sheep is someone who is easily preyed upon. A wolf is someone who goes after the sheep. I was working as a sergeant when a notorius wolf transfered into our prison. I took him aside and told him I knew of his reputation. I told him it would not be tolerated here and that I would be watching him closely. He looked at me and said "What are you some kind of f---ing sheepdog. I said yep, and my trailname has been that ever since. Without the F word.
Does that make a con my godfather?

Lone Wolf
02-18-2008, 17:59
I am my godfather

little bear
02-18-2008, 18:15
My father has called me little bear since I was about 2. and in Indian Guides that was my name, and I just kinda started using it while hiking, cause that is what my family always called me.