PDA

View Full Version : Hiking partner for Sept 1. JMT

garbanz
02-15-2008, 08:13
Experienced backpacker, Indiana native, M, 57 taking approximately 2 1/2 weeks to thru hike the JMT SOBO around September 1 (could also go a week earlier). Did thru hikes solo in the past. This time would welcome a partner(s). Will hike at a moderate pace, stopping for photos. Have trail maps and info---still a lot of planning to do.

Phreak
02-15-2008, 13:47
Experienced backpacker, Indiana native, M, 57 taking approximately 2 1/2 weeks to thru hike the JMT SOBO around September 1 (could also go a week earlier). Did thru hikes solo in the past. This time would welcome a partner(s). Will hike at a moderate pace, stopping for photos. Have trail maps and info---still a lot of planning to do.

Doodah Man and I are starting the JMT on 9/3 or 9/4. We're planning on 3 weeks for our trip. What direction are you hiking? We're hiking NOBO.

garbanz
02-15-2008, 21:11
Hey Phreak
I plan on hiking from Yosemite Valley towards Whitney Portal. It was suggested to me that hiking the JMT in this direction more gradually acclimates one to the higher elevations. If I like the trail I could do it in the opposite direction next year such as I have done with the Long Trail in 2006 and 2007.
garbanz

rt8877
03-10-2008, 00:00
I AM 58 YEARS OLD AND I AM ALSO DOING THE JMT ,STARTING AUG 18 th THUR SEPT 3rd 2008. TUOLUMNE TO WHITNEY PORTAL
[200 MILES ] GOING NORTH TO SOUTH. I HAVE A RESERVATION FOR TWO AND ALSO WOULD LIKE A PARTNER.WILL BE FLYING INTO FRESNO ON SAT. AUG 16th AND RETURNING FROM FRESNO ON FRI SEPT 5TH

Sly
03-10-2008, 00:22
Doodah Man and I are starting the JMT on 9/3 or 9/4. We're planning on 3 weeks for our trip. What direction are you hiking? We're hiking NOBO.

Three weeks Phreak? Seems slow for you. Bring your rod. :D

smyth555
04-27-2008, 10:12
I'm also considering a September JMT hike. Was thinking about a southbound hike starting in Yosemite. Want to take my time, but am concerned about weather at the highter elevations in the second half of the month. I know anything is possible, but has anyone here been out that time of year or know what should be expected in terms of normal temps/snow in the passes? Thanks.

Phreak
04-27-2008, 11:25
Three weeks Phreak? Seems slow for you. Bring your rod. :D

Yeah, Sly, I'll be hiking with Doodah Man, and he's not a speed hiker. So nice and leisurely on this one! :)

doodah man
04-27-2008, 20:54
Yeah, Sly, I'll be hiking with Doodah Man, and he's not a speed hiker. So nice and leisurely on this one! :)

Hey there Phreak, don't be spreading any rumors about old Doodah-Man here... I do so have a speed, slow is a speed. Plus, there are a bunch of peaks to bag including a couple extra 14ers besides Whitney. There will be plenty to fill those days and a little fishin' in the mix works for me... Doodah-Man

Phreak
04-27-2008, 21:16
Hey there Phreak, don't be spreading any rumors about old Doodah-Man here... I do so have a speed, slow is a speed. Plus, there are a bunch of peaks to bag including a couple extra 14ers besides Whitney. There will be plenty to fill those days and a little fishin' in the mix works for me... Doodah-Man

No complaints on this end. I'm looking forward to an extended trip with an easier itinerary. :)

Kerosene
04-28-2008, 10:17
I've gotta finish the AT (2013) and sem-retire (2020?) before I can get to the JMT. Let us know where you post your journal!