PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Year Itch ???

Footslogger
02-15-2008, 11:09
It's never easy this time of year, reading all the posts about travel to Springer, mail drops etc. But it was 5 years ago when I was one of those putting the final touches on my mail drops, experimenting with different methods of cramming all my stuff into my pack and working out the final travel logisitics.

I truly wish I was one of the fortunate souls headed to Springer and then onward toward Katahdin this year ...

'Slogger

Thoughtful Owl
02-15-2008, 11:26
It's never easy this time of year, reading all the posts about travel to Springer, mail drops etc. But it was 5 years ago when I was one of those putting the final touches on my mail drops, experimenting with different methods of cramming all my stuff into my pack and working out the final travel logisitics.

I truly wish I was one of the fortunate souls headed to Springer and then onward toward Katahdin this year ...

'Slogger

Your not alone there Slogger. Sometimes I wish I could just ditch everything else and go for a l-o--n---g walk!

ScottP
02-15-2008, 13:31
I always thought it was the 5 day itch...

Footslogger
02-15-2008, 13:39
I always thought it was the 5 day itch...

===========================

...and I thought I had it bad !! LOL

Actually, that's probably the short term version of the same illness !!

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
02-15-2008, 13:41
I waited over 20 years to get on the trail once I knew it was one of the things I wanted for my life. Now I get the itch every year - usually within a couple days of when I leave the trail.:sun

wakapak
02-15-2008, 13:43
Right there with you 'Slogger!! Even doing it twice has not helped me any!!

tina.anderson
02-15-2008, 13:47
I am at the point where I'm about to just forget everything and go out on the trail and enjoy myself. Believe me, I deserve it after the past few years.

Mags
02-15-2008, 14:03
Always appropriate for this type of discussion...

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature
people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy
prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever
and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. ...
In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum.
I fear the disease is incurable. -- John Steinbeck, TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY

wakapak
02-15-2008, 14:04

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature
people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy
prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever
and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. ...

Haha!! I like that!!! :banana

yappy
02-15-2008, 14:23
that is very cool quote....:) how true !.. CDT 09 can't wait except for leaving my dogs.. ouch..:(

wilconow
02-15-2008, 14:25

Man, I read that book and was pretty dissapointed. There were some great parts when it slowed down and was talking to people (the French-Can. Potato Farmers in Maine, the kid "stuck" at the hotel in Idaho).. but how much of the book was about his dog? That is just not interesting.. Plus towards the end it seemed to turn into a bunch of scattered essays.

A-Train
02-15-2008, 14:34
I don't think the itch is EVER gonna go away. That's the main reason I decided not to hike the CDT this year. Nothings gonna help the urge, so time to try something new. For now.

yappy
02-15-2008, 14:36
whatcha trying a train ..... drugs ?..haha...:)

trailfoot
02-15-2008, 15:04
I am at the point where I'm about to just forget everything and go out on the trail and enjoy myself. Believe me, I deserve it after the past few years.

Well Tina I think it's time you put your planning into action and join the 08ers. BTW, hello from GR Mi

A-Train
02-15-2008, 15:10
whatcha trying a train ..... drugs ?..haha...:)

Nah, I've tried them and didn't care for them much. I was talking more along the lines of "normal life" and grad school.

Survivor Dave
02-15-2008, 15:11
Well, I say scratch that itch! I'm sure BadAssTurtle might be swayed if you try a little harder......Oooohhhh---Thems theyre are fightin' words! It's not that far from Wyoming......foot, plane or bus.......

I'm still trying to get you to hike this season 'Sloggs...... Is it working.....even a little seed planted?

SD

'Slogger

Mags
02-15-2008, 15:15
Man, I read that book and was pretty dissapointed. There were some great parts when it slowed down and was talking to people (the French-Can. Potato Farmers in Maine, the kid "stuck" at the hotel in Idaho).. but how much of the book was about his dog? That is just not interesting.. Plus towards the end it seemed to turn into a bunch of scattered essays.

I enjoyed it because of the scattered essays personally. I love journeys that examine bot the outside world and the feelings/thoughts that happen inside because of the journey.

YMMV.

Footslogger
02-15-2008, 15:16
Well, I say scratch that itch! I'm sure BadAssTurtle might be swayed if you try a little harder......Oooohhhh---Thems theyre are fightin' words! It's not that far from Wyoming......foot, plane or bus.......

I'm still trying to get you to hike this season 'Sloggs...... Is it working.....even a little seed planted?

SD

===============================

OK ...so I imagined your post was like a note from the doctor and gave it to BA Turtle. Based on her facial expression I'd say you're in a heep of deep Kimchee there dude - LOL

B'sides, she knows that about one conversation from tellin em all to shove it and hitting the trail. But hey - - I appreciate the sentiment.

Consider the seed planted dude !!

'Slogger

Cherokee Bill
02-15-2008, 15:18
61-yo and still waiting my turn. I retire in 4 more years. Then I will claim my place in the Class of 2013. GA=ME:banana

Survivor Dave
02-15-2008, 15:33
Mmmmm. I love fermented cabbage that's been buried in the ground in a clay pot for a year! Sorry BAT........Maybe a vat of Sea Urchin Roe(Uni). That would be bad!

Is it hikin' time yet?

SD

===============================

OK ...so I imagined your post was like a note from the doctor and gave it to BA Turtle. Based on her facial expression I'd say you're in a heep of deep Kimchee there dude - LOL

B'sides, she knows that about one conversation from tellin em all to shove it and hitting the trail. But hey - - I appreciate the sentiment.

Consider the seed planted dude !!

'Slogger

Lilred
02-15-2008, 15:36
It's in the mid fifties today and the sun was shining, birds singing when I got up. Man, I just wanted to hit the trail. Didn't help that my new tent came in the mail today and I haven't had time to play with it yet.

I gots the fever....

Mags
02-15-2008, 15:40
I don't think the itch is EVER gonna go away. That's the main reason I decided not to hike the CDT this year. Nothings gonna help the urge, so time to try something new. For now.

It never does.

A former girlfriend is a sweet person. Alas, we both have quirks (as we all do) that do not mesh up. I can't blame either one of us for the end of the relationship.

But, one point of contention was the wanderlust.

I told her once "When I do the CDT, I'll probably have it out of my system for a while".

She looked at me with this Mona Lisa smile and said "You'll be saying that when you are 70"

I could not argue with that statement.

1.5 yrs after the CDT, the feet are getting very itchy again.

Bare Bear
02-15-2008, 17:00
There is a force Luke that will pull you to where you want to go.
I think personally that I will give up the cushy $$$ job again and go do Trail Magic then hit the AT again............it is addictive.
I was looking for a job when I go this one.

Spirit Walker
02-15-2008, 20:15
We watched "Appalachian Impressions" last night and I started thinking, "Hmmm, maybe". We have other plans for this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up back on the trail again one of these days.

FeO2
02-15-2008, 20:33
61-yo and still waiting my turn. I retire in 4 more years. Then I will claim my place in the Class of 2013. GA=ME:banana

Getting close billyboy !!

I am 43 yrs old and I also have to wait until retirement.
You will be thru-hiking long before me!!

I have my own private torture going, the lure of the AT thru-hike grows each year. I have a wife, kids, mortgage, etc... going on, I can't just drop everything and go.

Good Luck billyboy! Give it all you got in 2013 :o

kyerger
02-16-2008, 19:19
2010 is my date:) doing fla trail next jan. Cant wait

Footslogger
02-16-2008, 19:55
2010 is my date:) doing fla trail next jan. Cant wait

==============================

That's the year we (BadAss Turtle and I) are talking about re-hiking the AT - - but this time TOGETHER !!

'Slogger

ChinMusic
02-16-2008, 19:59
2013 or 2014 here. Enjoying weekend/week-long/dayhike trips until then.

wakapak
02-16-2008, 21:05
Okay, so this is kinda funny!! Was talking with my Mom today, who was a huge supporter on my thru's and sent out maildrops etc. Ever since my first one, she has been hooked on reading trailjournals too. She lives in NH and when on vacations in the Whites, if her and Dad see hikers, they try to help them as much as they can. Sometimes they send out surprise packages with home baked goods to them!!

Anywho, today Mom says to me, who am i gonna send packages to this year?? Then she says, maybe you should go hiking since you're in between things in life!! :eek:

I cannot believe she is egging me on to go again!!! :-?

Footslogger
02-17-2008, 13:17
I cannot believe she is egging me on to go again!!! :-?

=================================

...and you're going - - RIGHT ??

'Slogger

Moon Monster
02-17-2008, 19:08
I was talking more along the lines of "normal life" and grad school.

Well, grad school has been the damper of my five year itch. And I refuse to quit it, but since I'm seeing the end of the grad school tunnel now, the itch is getting worse this year. Also, five years is a nice round number that slaps me in the face with how long it has been.

Every time it rains is the hardest, ironically. I'm sure the c/o 2003 understands.

If you do school again, do not go into debt. Only do a program that pays you tuition and a stipend. Stay free to walk away.

Footslogger
02-17-2008, 19:44
[quote=Moon Monster;539957]
Every time it rains is the hardest, ironically. I'm sure the c/o 2003 understands.

============================

Amen brother ...

'Slogger

wakapak
02-17-2008, 21:05
=================================

...and you're going - - RIGHT ??

'Slogger

I wish!! :) Unfortunately, I'm not at place in my "professional" life that that would be the best for right now......however, if things don't pan out the way I want them to within the next week or so...who knows!?! :-?

Jim Adams
02-18-2008, 09:43
Wak,

ain't it strange when the family also gets the fever??????

Nike has it right...just do it!
See ya on Springer?

geek

wakapak
02-18-2008, 12:30
Wak,

ain't it strange when the family also gets the fever??????

Nike has it right...just do it!
See ya on Springer?

geek

Yes, yes it is a bit odd when the family gets the fever Geek!! :eek:

only way I'll be on Springer is if this opportunity i'm looking into doesn't pan out....

But wait, does that mean YOU are headin' North from Springer again this year???? :-?

Hotrod
02-18-2008, 15:53
But wait, does that mean YOU are headin' North from Springer again this year???? :-?

From what Geek has told me, he is doing Low Gap to NC with his daughter.

Is a thru-hike really a possiblity for you? You better think twice, a good thru-hiker should plan for the trip, 6 month to one year in advance. So, your out for this year. :)

Jim Adams
02-18-2008, 16:38
From what Geek has told me, he is doing Low Gap to NC with his daughter.

Is a thru-hike really a possiblity for you? You better think twice, a good thru-hiker should plan for the trip, 6 month to one year in advance. So, your out for this year. :)

Yeah, I'm doing Low Gap to somewhere in N.C. with my daughter starting at Low Gap on 3/15/08.
Wak,
I doubt that it'll turn into a thru but you never know....come'on Hotrod...you know that after the first thru, all the others only take about 20 minutes of planning....long enough to get to the beer store and back!!!!:D

geek

Hotrod
02-18-2008, 16:57
come'on Hotrod...you know that after the first thru, all the others only take about 20 minutes of planning....long enough to get to the beer store and back!!!!:D

geek

I just finished my planning in 19 minutes. Now all I have to do is wait for my Sherpa to get here and I'll be ready to go. :banana I'm going ultra-light.

wakapak
02-18-2008, 22:24
Yeah, I'm doing Low Gap to somewhere in N.C. with my daughter starting at Low Gap on 3/15/08.
Wak,
I doubt that it'll turn into a thru but you never know....come'on Hotrod...you know that after the first thru, all the others only take about 20 minutes of planning....long enough to get to the beer store and back!!!!:D

geek

Sweet!!! I'm sure you will both enjoy it a ton!! :)

Haha!! It's true, after the first one, all you need is enough time to pack your pack and get whatever beverages you want, then you're out there!! :sun

HotRod....anything is always a possibility in my mind!! But most likely I will not be out there for a thru this year! i always like to dream though! :)

Sleepy the Arab
02-18-2008, 23:23
It's not an itch. It's an addiction.

And this junky don't ever want to be clean.

wakapak
02-18-2008, 23:43
It's not an itch. It's an addiction.

And this junky don't ever want to be clean.

HahA!! well said Sleepy!! :banana

Jim Adams
02-18-2008, 23:45
Wak,
try to make it to boudin's on the 14th or 15th...spend the weekend hiking with us!

geek

wakapak
02-18-2008, 23:51
Wak,
try to make it to boudin's on the 14th or 15th...spend the weekend hiking with us!

geek

Oh man Geek, I'd LOVE to!!! but i'm waaaayyyy up north now, and doubt i can get the time outta the office i'm in....

Plus, if you guys are anything like you were last time at Boudin's, Ya'll will be tryin your hardest to make me hike the whole way with you!! Remember how i left at like midnite cause you were gonna outfit me for hiking!! LOL!!

Jim Adams
02-18-2008, 23:58
Oh man Geek, I'd LOVE to!!! but i'm waaaayyyy up north now, and doubt i can get the time outta the office i'm in....

Plus, if you guys are anything like you were last time at Boudin's, Ya'll will be tryin your hardest to make me hike the whole way with you!! Remember how i left at like midnite cause you were gonna outfit me for hiking!! LOL!!

...just show up with shoes....we have enough gear to get you to Maine, I mean N.C.!:D

geek

wakapak
02-19-2008, 00:01
...just show up with shoes....we have enough gear to get you to Maine, I mean N.C.!:D

geek

Haha!! see!! here ya go again!! :eek:

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2008, 19:22
The alleged phenomena of the "Five Year Itch" is a myth.

And if I should happen to run into any of you on Springer on or around St. Patrick's Day, I'll tell you the same thing! :D

wakapak
02-19-2008, 19:23
The alleged phenomena of the "Five Year Itch" is a myth.

And if I should happen to run into any of you on Springer on or around St. Patrick's Day, I'll tell you the same thing! :D

Haha! I agree..it's not just a "five year itch"...it's more like an everyday itch!!! :eek:

Knees
02-19-2008, 23:13
Five years? Five Months! :D

Sleepy the Arab
02-20-2008, 00:56
I'm having trail-flashbacks. This time of year, I keep seeing gray Georgia skies through leafless treetops.

I need another hit, man!

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 10:21
[quote=Sleepy the Arab;543016]

I need another hit, man!

=====================================

Yeah ...it's like "Please Pass the Thru-Hike"

'Slogger