PDA

View Full Version : Curiousity....

wakapak
02-15-2008, 13:18
Just out of curiousity, what is the least amount of time any of you have quit your jobs (or whatever) and got on the Trail?? :-?

Footslogger
02-15-2008, 13:19
For me it was from March 1 to the end of December (2003). Guess that makes it 10 months.

'Slogger

girlnextdoor
02-15-2008, 13:26
I'm interested in where you're going with this Wak...
will we be seeing you down south on Springer any time soon ;)

Thoughtful Owl
02-15-2008, 13:28
I hadn't really quit me job, but was laid off for month back in 1990 and backpacked the whole time.

wakapak
02-15-2008, 13:29
I'm interested in where you're going with this Wak...
will we be seeing you down south on Springer any time soon ;)

haha! No, Girl, you will not!! Was just curious what the fastest turn around time is for people is all!! Although I have been day-dreaming of yet another hike!! :eek:

tina.anderson
02-15-2008, 13:45
Two days. It was a job selling credit card machines and it was totally based on commission. Horrible job.

wakapak
02-15-2008, 13:49
Two days. It was a job selling credit card machines and it was totally based on commission. Horrible job.

how long were you out on the trail for??

Spirit Walker
02-15-2008, 20:11
In 1992 I hadn't planned on quitting, but an incident with my boss made it clear that I could quit in March or quit sometime over the next six months, but sooner or later I was leaving. I decided to quit in March so I could be on the trail 3 weeks later. I had a busy time packing my apartment, putting everything in storage, buying gear and planning my food. Fortunately, it was second time on the trail, so I knew how easy it is to buy as you go and I already had maps and books from my previous hike. My hike lasted 5 1/2 months.

wakapak
02-15-2008, 21:32
In 1992 I hadn't planned on quitting, but an incident with my boss made it clear that I could quit in March or quit sometime over the next six months, but sooner or later I was leaving. I decided to quit in March so I could be on the trail 3 weeks later. I had a busy time packing my apartment, putting everything in storage, buying gear and planning my food. Fortunately, it was second time on the trail, so I knew how easy it is to buy as you go and I already had maps and books from my previous hike. My hike lasted 5 1/2 months.

Very Cool!!! i was wondering if anyone had done it that quick between quitting and starting!!

Blue Jay
02-16-2008, 00:54
I hate to one up, but I hated a job, quit, and was on the trail in a week.
I stole the idea from my brother. I had started my stove once and almost set myself on fire at Springer. I had set up my tent once and never sealed the seams (you don't buy a car that comes without tires, what's up with that). I had to stay in shelters until Neels Gap, not a problem as it was February. I love to read about people planning their hikes for months, that's nice, but not needed. It's just walking.

stranger
02-16-2008, 01:40
In 2001 I walked into work and asked for a leave of absence to hike on the trail for 500 miles, they said no and I gave them my notice, hopped a bus two weeks later and started hiking about 16 days after I notified my then employer.

Carp
02-16-2008, 02:24
Welp, I'm putting in my 2 week notice come mid-March. Planning on having my last day at work on a Friday and starting on the approach on Saturday or Sunday.

I'll let you know how that works for me.