PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with REI Ridgeline?

criley84
02-15-2008, 15:45
http://www.rei.com/product/747518

:confused:The REI Ridgeline is $64.83

I know it weighs 4 lbs 8 oz

Is the weight the only thing to knock on this thing?

Ive tried on plenty of packs in the past few months including Gregory, GoLite, Osprey, etc.....and I thought the Ridgeline fit great compared to the rest. The price dropping another 60 bucks in the past week to my knowledge has thrown me for a loop.

Part of me wouldnt mind buying a 60 dollar bag, but part me says "hey, there has to be something wrong with it..."

Argh

kayak karl
02-15-2008, 16:10
http://www.rei.com/product/747518

:confused:The REI Ridgeline is $64.83

Ive tried on plenty of packs in the past few months including Gregory, GoLite, Osprey, etc.....and I thought the Ridgeline fit great compared to the rest. The price dropping another 60 bucks in the past week to my knowledge has thrown me for a loop.

Part of me wouldnt mind buying a 60 dollar bag, but part me says "hey, there has to be something wrong with it..."

Argh
i use the REI mars bag. large, 5+lb, but i love it. im older and like a sturdy pack. if the pack fits, wear it:)

Deadeye
02-15-2008, 16:42
Ditto. IMO, comfort and fit comes before weight in a pack. I look at it this way: with my 2 1/2 pound pack, I can start a week long trip with 27 pounds. With my 5 1/2 pound pack, I start the trip with 30 pounds. Doesn't sound like so much anymore.

'course I still use the lighter pack first:cool:

floyd242
02-15-2008, 16:45
REI is having the super clearance sale, they are probably just clearing out last years packs. They changed them somehow and are getting rid of the older models.

If it fit you and felt good, I do not see why you would not get it. I mean it is REI and you can always take it back and get a refund no matter what.

Bare Bear
02-15-2008, 16:47
I hiked 650 miles in Floirda with a Gregory Shasta (about 5 1/2 pounds empty) then all the way to Harpers Ferry on the AT before I got smart and switched to my Go Lite 30 which was sooooo much better due to losing the weight. I rarely use the Gregory anymore and wished I had not spent the big bucks on it......

Roland
02-15-2008, 16:54
I hiked 650 miles in Floirda with a Gregory Shasta (about 5 1/2 pounds empty) then all the way to Harpers Ferry on the AT before I got smart and switched to my Go Lite 30 which was sooooo much better due to losing the weight. I rarely use the Gregory anymore and wished I had not spent the big bucks on it......

If that is a lesson that must be learned from experience, better that criley84 learn this lesson by buying a $65 pack, than by spending 3 times as much.

Age and experience have a way of encouraging us to lighten our loads. Some resist the trend and never do so, simply because they can. There's no right or wrong way to hike.

Of all the packs you tried criley84, if this packs fits you best, buy it.

turtle fast
02-15-2008, 17:00
Don't worry about the weight of the pack...4lbs 8 oz is not bad...not like having a 7 lbs pack....mine is gona be 5lbs. 1 oz....so whats the big deal? Fit here is king....just make sure it fits well!!! That is above all the most important thing here is comfort...plain and simple and if you get the pack on deal...perfect!!!!

bigcranky
02-15-2008, 17:05
I think Roland answered this the best. You may, someday, wish to own a lighter pack, and you'll be thankful that you only dropped $65 on this one. If you like it, and it fit well -- buy it, before they are all gone.

I still have my $250 Gregory Shasta in the gear closet, it hasn't been on the trail in probably eight or ten years. The Reality, the Chaos, the Aether -- all good packs, all gone in favor of lighter packs.

Terry7
02-15-2008, 17:16
Try to figure out how much weight you plan to carry. This will tell you what pack to get. Look to see what the load rating is for the pack, then see if it fits. When you find the one rated for your load and it fits, then buy it.

margo
02-15-2008, 17:36
Another shasta owner checking in.

troglobil
02-15-2008, 17:38
I bought a Ridgeline last year and used it for the GA section of the AT and several other short trips since then. I like the pack, it is comfortable, it will carry a heavy load, it will compress down for a small load. It may be a little heavy, but considering what you pay for it, it is hard to beat.
Is that $64 right? Dam, I paid full price.

ScottP
02-15-2008, 17:51
I know this one's not on sale, but it's perfect for an AT thru-hike and it's cheaper

http://www.rei.com/product/747522

troglobil
02-15-2008, 20:08
you thrued with 1037 cubic inches?

Blissful
02-15-2008, 20:15
If it's comfortable to you and you can get your gear in it, go for it. 4 1/2 lbs is fine. And REI has a great guarantee. We did have to return a REI pack as the waist belt began to rip out, but they replaced it. So that might be my only hesitation -durability for a thru.

ScottP
02-15-2008, 21:51
GA to wayensboro last year, did most of the AT in 06 in a similar pack, and did most of the PCT in a 23 L pack. Wolf 23000 uses the same REI flash for the AT.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2008, 22:45

but part me says "hey, there has to be something wrong with it..."

Argh

That weight is enough reason not to buy it. It's as heavy as a pack and a tarptent or sleeping bag together.

Tinker
02-16-2008, 00:50
The more experience you have as a hiker, the lighter your loads can be without compromising safety and comfort.
Once you lighten up the load (some prefer not to, if they're attached to heavier gear), you can get a lighter pack. The weight isn't that bad, and it's probably a lot more durable than my 14 oz. and 16 oz. packs. Frame packs (as opposed to frameless rucksacks, which I use most of the time) are a lot more forgiving of imperfectly packed loads, too.

River Runner
02-16-2008, 02:44
If you like it, go for it, but realize you may later decide to go lighter. You can probably always resell it and re-coup at least part of the cost. Or donate it to a needy scout troop.

Programbo
02-16-2008, 09:44
I know this one's not on sale, but it's perfect for an AT thru-hike and it's cheaper http://www.rei.com/product/747522

My day pack is bigger than that.....That thing is basically a stuff sack with shoulder straps attached......But getting back to the original post...There`s nothing wrong with a 4.5 pound pack and most times an equal weight will feel lighter in one than it will in a 2 pound pack as the suspension is better...I never cared for packs that just had one large main compartment though

rafe
02-16-2008, 10:14
Programbo, when's the last time you hiked with a modern, light pack like one of the Granite Gears (Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone?)

I walked at least half the AT with a 68 oz. Camp Trails external frame. I wondered if I could live without all the pockets and compartments.

For me, the Vapor Trail's still a bit too flimsy for a 3 or 4 night trip, but the Nimbus Ozone hits the mark beautifully, and shaves 1.25 lbs (relative to the Camp Trails) which is not something to dismiss.. lightly. ;) It rides like a dream. One learns to live without the pockets and zips.

Like they say... don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

Programbo
02-16-2008, 18:41
Programbo, when's the last time you hiked with a modern, light pack like one of the Granite Gears (Vapor Trail or Nimbus Ozone?)

There have been light single compartment packs going back 15 years..The technology hasn`t changed that much and humans are still designed the same and walk the same...I think all one needs to do is look at all the major pack companies and see what they make and how they are classified..The designers at these companies are completely up-to-date with the "current" designs/materials (Which are basically the same designs/materials from 15 years ago) and if you look at all their packs which are considered their "mainline, company reputation" packs you will see pretty much all of their extended trip internals are 4-6 pounds and multi-compartments...Single compartment internals were never a big seller for any company and most dropped them as serious packs (Except for 1-2 day packs)...It wasn`t untill this modern trend of lighter/faster which is fueled by mass marketing and pack mentality (Not backpack but group "pack") that most of them realized where the money is and started introducing all these "new" light/small packs (Again)....It isn`t hard to figure out logically..Don`t look at what everyone is carrying as that is generally the result of "everyone else is doing it"..Look at what these long time companies are putting out their as their "top of the line" or "Extended trip" packs and you`ll see what is what...I`m not going to try and fight 15 years of Madison Ave mass marketing slickness or follow the pack mentality and I doubt I`ll change anyones mind..I`ll stick with a good quality external frame for open trail hiking and let others do what they are suppose to I guess :p

rafe
02-16-2008, 18:45
There have been light single compartment packs going back 15 years..The technology hasn`t changed that much and humans are still designed the same and walk the same...I think all one needs to do is look at all the major pack companies and see what they make and how they are classified..The designers at these companies are completely up-to-date with the "current" designs/materials (Which are basically the same designs/materials from 15 years ago) and if you look at all their packs which are considered their "mainline, company reputation" packs you will see pretty much all of their extended trip internals are 4-6 pounds and multi-compartments...Single compartment internals were never a big seller for any company and most dropped them as serious packs (Except for 1-2 day packs)...It wasn`t untill this modern trend of lighter/faster which is fueled by mass marketing and pack mentality (Not backpack but group "pack") that most of them realized where the money is and started introducing all these "new" light/small packs (Again)....It isn`t hard to figure out logically..Don`t look at what everyone is carrying as that is generally the result of "everyone else is doing it"..Look at what these long time companies are putting out their as their "top of the line" or "Extended trip" packs and you`ll see what is what...I`m not going to try and fight 15 years of Madison Ave mass marketing slickness or follow the pack mentality and I doubt I`ll change anyones mind..I`ll stick with a good quality external frame for open trail hiking and let others do what they are suppose to I guess :p

Blah blah blah. Just answer the question. :rolleyes:

wrongway_08
02-16-2008, 19:14
I had the Shasta, then the Skareb 55 and now I have the Go-Lite Jam2. Jam 2 is only 1 Lb 6.5 oz with my mods I added to it and it has been the best fitting and most comfy pack I've used.

Just go with what works for you. Keep try'n other packs before you decide on one, a extra week shopping could save a few pounds and get you a comfy pack.

Programbo
02-16-2008, 20:12
Blah blah blah. Just answer the question. :rolleyes:

I did..These packs have been around for 15 years and I tried them back then and agreed with Wayne Gregory that they were only good for lighter loads and they were classified as a "Two-Day Pack"..Nothing has happened since to change my mind..Appearently Wayne started thinking with his wallet as he now tries to list some of these type packs as being good for "thru-hikes"..Really?..Then why do they bother to produce packs that cost 2-3 times as much and are twice the size and twice the weight? :-?

Jason of the Woods
02-16-2008, 20:46
I use an Osprey Aether 70. It's not the lightest thing out but I fits me. Also full I've got the weight at about 20-25 lbs. I don't think that anyone has stressed how important that is(a fitting pack). My advice is to go to your local outfitter and try on all of their packs. The one that fits you the best should be your pick. Then you are also supporting your local economy.

optimator
02-17-2008, 18:41
I pulled the trigger on the Ridgeline too. I've been wanting an Aether 60 but for $65....:banana And since it's REI I've got nothing to lose by trying it.

jzakhar
02-17-2008, 19:38
I usually carry 35 lbs or so, this weekend I had 40 but only for a day. I use the Gregory Palisade, a small. http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/GR1203

It's heavier but it fits me well and if very comfortable. I've tried some lighter ones, just didn't care for the way they fit me