PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Section Hike

smb300
02-15-2008, 17:54
I am planning a trip mid-March to Virginia. Our options are central or southwest. We are planning a 4 day trek. I was looking for some advice on a section to complete where parking is available at each end. Also, how about the weather? Too cold in SW this time of year? We are planning to complete sections of VA each spring and fall. This will be our first section and first time on the A.T. Help us make our first experience a good one. We have previously hiked Linville Gorge, NC so we can handle the terrain.

aficion
02-15-2008, 18:31
From highway 60 north to Rockfish Gap. Good parking and access both ends. Your mileage may vary but very doable. Beautiful views.

Terry7
02-16-2008, 13:17
Damascus to the Greyson highlands. Check with Mount Rogers Outfitters. There is parking on both ends.

Blissful
02-16-2008, 15:09
It will likely be cold wherever you go, so be prepared.

For first time on the trail and for March, Shenandoah NP is also a good choice. Great wintertime views. No people. Parking available anywhere (AT crosses the highway numurous times). Big Meadows Wayside may be open then - not sure.

smb300
02-18-2008, 13:17
Thanks so much for all the help. I think I will take Blissful's suggestion and try Shenandoah. I think having that many road crossing will be safe for us. Just in case we need to head to the car due to weather. I will let you know how it turns out and may ask for help when we prepare for our next section. It will likely be at peak leaf change in oct. I can imagine we would need to select a more remote area to avoid the crowds. Thanks again! Well, one more question. What would be a good mileage to hike per day in this area. My group consists of guys in excellent condition, however we would like to be done hiking around 4pm each day. And we really don't want to have to race to our next camp.

Lyle
02-18-2008, 15:06
Good choice. Just one word of caution. While the Skyline drive is generally reliable as a bail-out option, when it does get snow choked, it is not a high priority to get it open. I was once caught in a blizzard in Shenandoah, we were able to hike out, but it took another couple of days for the Skyline drive to re-open so that we could get to our car. This happened in November, not normally a high snow month.

Guess what I'm saying, still be prepared to survive without immediate assistance.

ASUGrad
02-18-2008, 15:53
Weather is a crap shoot in SW Va that time of year. Burke's Garden to Pearisburg is a pretty easy hike. Wind could be an issue though.

smb300
02-19-2008, 17:31
Thanks for the warning Lyle. Sounds like it might be a good idea to pack extra food and gear to be left in the car should we get snowed in. Thanks!