PDA

View Full Version : Boot Tread ?

LittleMsGoody2Shoes
02-15-2008, 18:15
I recently purchased a pair of leather boots (Earth Shoe brand) with what I thought was a decent tread for hiking, but discovered that they are rather slick when wet. How can I fix them so that I don't end up slipping when hiking on wet leaves?

Goody2Shoes :sun

Roland
02-15-2008, 18:23
At the risk of sounding like a wiseguy, replace them.

hobojoe
02-15-2008, 18:23
wear 'em down a bit. New hard rubber can be real slick, might just take some time. maybe a little sandpaper to speed it up.

Roland
02-15-2008, 18:29
There are lots of different compositions of rubber soles. Some are soft and gummy. These offer great traction on slick surfaces, but wear quickly. Hard soles wear forever, but may be slippery on some surfaces.

Soles designed to hold-up to pavement will likely have hard-rubber soles that won't perform well on wet rock. I know of nothing that can be done to make these soles "stick" to the slick surfaces.

Survivor Dave
02-15-2008, 18:36
Gotta agree with Roland on getting a different shoe/boot.

Most places will accept returns in never used or new condition which I never understood. REI will honor their guarantee. Shoot, I tried a couple until I found the right one. Service with a smile.
There are many good shoes out there that have better soles than others to start, but after a while they all turn slick. I think Keen has a good slip resistant sole for a low day hiker, but personally tore them up in a couple hundred miles.

After a lot of trial and error, I chose the Montrail Comp XCR for it's tread, comfort, and durability.

It is a personal choice.

SD

At the risk of sounding like a wiseguy, replace them.

Kerosene
02-15-2008, 23:41
If you can't return them, then you might try "siping" them by using a very sharp knife to cut many tiny grooves as close together as possible. Of course, the soles will wear down more quickly, but at least they'll be a little grippier than they will be otherwise.

LittleMsGoody2Shoes
02-15-2008, 23:48
If you can't return them, then you might try "siping" them by using a very sharp knife to cut many tiny grooves as close together as possible. Of course, the soles will wear down more quickly, but at least they'll be a little grippier than they will be otherwise.

Hmmm. That's not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to return them, as they were on clearance with the winter gear. If the grooves don't work, I guess I could always just take Roland's advice and buy another pair and just use these for walking paved trails. :rolleyes:

Tinker
02-16-2008, 00:16
If the layer of wet leaves is thick enough, there isn't any amount or type of lug that's going to provide a slip free grip. The leaves are slipping against each other.
When I mountain bike in the fall, the knobs on the tires skewer leaves, coating the tires, which makes them about as effective as slicks.