PDA

View Full Version : Whitewater Rafting on the AT

charmcityboys
02-15-2008, 20:21
Does anyone know of a place on or near the trail to go whitewater rafting???

tazie
02-15-2008, 20:36

Here's a couple outfitters in Harper's Ferry, WV.
www.rivertrail.com (http://www.rivertrail.com) and www.riverriders.com (http://www.riverriders.com)
And if you're in Baltimore, not too far a drive. :)

shelterbuilder
02-15-2008, 20:40

I don't know if they still do, but there used to be a couple of outfitters in Delaware Water Gap that did day trips on the Delaware River. And north (upstream) of Lehigh Gap on the Lehigh River, there are outfitters that run the Lehigh River Gorge. I don't have any links, though - sorry.

briarpatch
02-15-2008, 20:40
The Nantahala has some of the best rafting around, and the AT crosses it at a rafting/kayaking outfitter. See http://www.noc.com/ fpr details.

Ron Haven
02-15-2008, 20:58
The Nantahala has some of the best rafting around, and the AT crosses it at a rafting/kayaking outfitter. See http://www.noc.com/ fpr details.The NOC has opened other places such as on the Nolichucky near Erwin and on the Pigeon River at Hartford,Tn close to Standing Bear Farm.

Pringles
02-15-2008, 21:04

In Erwin, you can raft on the Nolichucky. You walk right by one outfitter... USA Raft, if I remember right.

If you have a car, at Beckley, WV, there are a number of outfitters that will take you down the New and Gauley rivers. I've gone with ACE and would recommend them. Beckley is a ways from the AT, but theNew is a great river to raft, and the Gauley, in the fall, is suposed to be incredible. Beth

fiddlehead
02-15-2008, 21:25
The New River and Gauley river are a lot closer to the trail in Pearisburg Va, than they are where the AT goes into WV around Harpers Ferry (like 200 miles closer)

There's the little Tennessee near Fontana, the Nolichucky near Erwin,
the French Broad, the Nantahala as mentioned before near Wesser,
the Ocoee near northern GA/TN border,
the Patomic at Harper's Ferry
then in PA there's the Lehigh (best near White Haven, PA)
the Delaware near DWG as someone mentioned is really flat water and not enough rapids to make it anything exciting for whitewater rafting unless you can catch it at flood stage),
then theres the Saco, Dead and Penobscot rivers in Maine.

I'm sure there's more but THESE (above) are the one's that I've kayaked and some of them are quite good.

The best: (IMO) Gauley, Penobscot, Ocoee (in that order)
Keep in mind the Gauley is usually only good when they are having a release (same with the Ocoee) and it's best to check when they have these releases online.

So much of this sport depends on water levels. (excitement level anyway)

SouthMark
02-15-2008, 23:27
We took a trip on the Pigeon after hiking from Hot Springs to Standing Bear in May. Sproket, a friend of Curtis, arranged it for us. There are several outfitters in Hartford on the Pigeon. Years ago we used to drive over to Clayton, GA after doing the Georgia sections and southern NC sections and do the Chatooga with the NOC. Now that is a trip!!

fiddlehead
02-15-2008, 23:39
Yeah, the Chatooga in South Carolina is another great one.
The movie Deliverance was filmed here.

dessertrat
02-15-2008, 23:46
Umm. . . the Kennebec?

Flush2wice
02-16-2008, 00:03
in the south-
Nantahala at Wesser
Pigeon River at Davenport Gap
French Broad at Hot Springs
Nolichucky at Erwin

ed bell
02-16-2008, 00:09
The Ocoee was a blast and the Chattooga rocks. World famous, and for good reason.:cool:

Tennessee Viking
02-16-2008, 02:08
Nantalhala in Wesser, French Broad and Laurel River around Hot Springs, Nolichucky in Erwin. Canoe Watauga and Holston Lakes.

Then the BMT is in distance of the Oconee River course.

River Runner
02-16-2008, 03:36
The best: (IMO) Gauley, Penobscot, Ocoee (in that order)
Keep in mind the Gauley is usually only good when they are having a release and it's best to check when they have these releases online.

So much of this sport depends on water levels. (excitement level anyway)

The Gauley is definitely world class whitewater during the fall release season, which is four weekends in Sept. & 2 in Oct.

Peaks
02-16-2008, 09:26
The is great white water rafting numerous places along the AT.

As mentioned, the AT goes right through NOC just south of the Smokies. The "Nanti" is a great whitewater river.

Likewise, rafting available in Hot Springs on the French Broad.

In Maine, the AT crosses the Kennebec at Caratunk. Just upstream is Forks, the whitewater capital of New England. In fact, I believe that Steve the Ferryman is one of the many outfitters there.

Finally, there is rafting on the Penobscot. Outfitters operate out of Millinocket.

trailangelmary
02-16-2008, 10:48
The Gauley is definitely world class whitewater during the fall release season, which is four weekends in Sept. & 2 in Oct.

Many years ago, I went with a group with the "Rivermen" to raft the New River. Even though we had signed up for the New River, we were taken on the Gauley River because they released that day. It was Easter weekend. It was an experience of a lifetime. I loved it.

River Runner
02-16-2008, 16:25
Many years ago, I went with a group with the "Rivermen" to raft the New River. Even though we had signed up for the New River, we were taken on the Gauley River because they released that day. It was Easter weekend. It was an experience of a lifetime. I loved it.

That sounds like my first experience running the New. I thought it was the most fun thing I had done in my entire life. The really cool thing was even after I was asleep that night I felt like I was still rafting.

Do you know if you ran the Upper Gauley or the Lower? Both sections are fun. The Upper is the most challenging with a lot of technical sections, but I think the Lower might be the most fun with the big roller coaster waves.

Dirigo
02-16-2008, 21:20
Kennebec River, and I am a rafting guide. Best river to raft, and lots of outfitters. Steve Longley can hook you up, I'm sure.

Dirigo

Flush2wice
02-16-2008, 21:48
The Gauley is a great river. It's probably the best river for rafting in the east. The others are better for canoeing and kayaking. I've canoed the Nantahala a bunch of times and it's a blast. I rafted it once and it was pretty lame. It was like going 4-wheeling in a bulldozer.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
02-16-2008, 21:54
a couple of outfitters in Delaware Water Gap that did day trips on the Delaware River.

Look for Kittatinny Canoes on the internet. They have canoe rentals and shuttles to and from various parts of the Delaware River between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, as well as some of the upper stretches on the New York Side. Camping is also available. The downside is getting there from the AT, since Dingman's Ferry is quite a distance from the trail.
If you're really ambitious, you can do a three-day rental and come downriver from Matamoras to the site of the old National Recreation Area visitor's center at Kittatinny Beach. You can stay on the river overnight and wilderness camp on the various islands along the way, many which have campsites levelled and cleaned. No charge, no necessities, but it makes a good trip. You can pick up the AT again downriver at Kittatinny Beach to continue on the trail or take the shuttle back to the canoe livery and pick up where you left off.

Patrickjd9
02-16-2008, 22:21
We took a trip on the Pigeon after hiking from Hot Springs to Standing Bear in May. Sproket, a friend of Curtis, arranged it for us. There are several outfitters in Hartford on the Pigeon.
My wife, daughter, and I rafted the Pigeon with Nantahala Outdoor Center last summer. I recommend them highly.

trailangelmary
02-17-2008, 00:36
Do you know if you ran the Upper Gauley or the Lower? Both sections are fun.

Hey River Runner,
I believe we did the Middle/Lower Gauley. Two of the parts that I remember as called by Scott Ware, our guide were the BFR (Big F.....g Rock) and the speed bumps. I just checked out the Rivermen site and see that he is still a guide there. http://www.rivermen.com/site/ He was awesome. I remember at one spot seeing one raft in front of us flip and another two rafters go out of raft. I said to all in our raft. I don't want to flip let's "Dig in". And we did. It was a cold Easter weekend with no sun and spritzing rain all weekend. But it was a blast despite the weather. Scott said we did a great job because we were all newbies and listened to him. He also said that a lot of times when rafts flip it is because the rafters think they know what to do and don't listen to the guide. I'm glad we didn't flip. I already thought my toes froze and fell off!!!!

River Runner
02-17-2008, 02:43
I rafted it once and it was pretty lame. It was like going 4-wheeling in a bulldozer.

Spew alert! Now that's funny.

River Runner
02-17-2008, 03:26
Hey River Runner,
I believe we did the Middle/Lower Gauley. Two of the parts that I remember as called by Scott Ware, our guide were the BFR (Big F.....g Rock) and the speed bumps. I just checked out the Rivermen site and see that he is still a guide there. http://www.rivermen.com/site/ He was awesome. I remember at one spot seeing one raft in front of us flip and another two rafters go out of raft. I said to all in our raft. I don't want to flip let's "Dig in". And we did. It was a cold Easter weekend with no sun and spritzing rain all weekend. But it was a blast despite the weather. Scott said we did a great job because we were all newbies and listened to him. He also said that a lot of times when rafts flip it is because the rafters think they know what to do and don't listen to the guide. I'm glad we didn't flip. I already thought my toes froze and fell off!!!!

Hm. Neither of those parts sound familar to me, and aren't on the list of Gauley River rapids I have, but sometimes guides change up the names, and sometimes at different water levels you run a different lines.

There is a pillow rock on the upper that would fit the BFR description - other major rapids up there are Insignificant, Lost Paddle, Iron Ring, and you would remember Sweet's Falls - a 16' drastic drop.

On the lower, my chart lists Wood's Ferry, Backender, Koontz Flume, Upper & Lower Mash, Rollercoaster, Gateway to Heaven (or Heaven Help Us), Pure Screaming Hell as the more major rapids. It also says there are over 100 rapids, so obviously doesn't list them all.

I agree with your guide - probably 95% of the time the rafts flip it is because the paddlers don't do what the guide says, or don't paddle together. It happened to our raft when 3 of the other people in it wouldn't listen. :mad: Fortunately it was on the upper New in a little rapid called Surprise that isn't very dangerous. Our raft started over & I slid all the way across it & out the other side. The guide was the only one that stayed in & he was just lucky it didn't flip completely. He was underwater, but hung on by his legs & stayed with the raft!

I've also been 'juiced' twice by Julie's Juicer (in the Wood's Ferry rapid) in a duckie. Those times were my fault. I just missed the line I was supposed to run by a bit & ended up on the wrong side of a rock & down into a hole. The duckies were fun, but a LOT of hard work. Those guides earn their wages for sure.

whitefoot_hp
02-21-2008, 20:00
RIVER RUNNER, BS! if the raft flips, its the guide's fault
usually, if the guide is the only one that stays in the raft, he did it on purpose. called a perfect run.

The Chattooga and the Ocoee are the only ones worth going to in the Southeast, unless you just want to get real intoxicated and guide yourself down the Nanny. never, under any circumstances, pay for a guided trip on the nanny. dont insult yourself.

The Gauley is by far the king of the East, i am not sure what the NE has to offer however. chances are the gauley wont be running when you pass by on a thru.

however, early spring is the best time for the Chattooga, and its a short hitch from dicks creek cap in GA. you will have to make some form of prior arrangements.

Jim Adams
02-22-2008, 02:13
Nantahala is weak
Nolichuky isn't bad
Chatooga is good
Ocoee is good
Watauga Creek is major small volume pool and drop-similar to the Upper Youghiogheny
New is cool
Cheat is cool in the spring
The Gauley although the best in the east, south of New England usually only runs during releases during Gauley Fest in the fall.
Potomec can be fun at times however the only stretch with major WW is near D.C. at Great Falls.
Youghiogheny is 2 hours west of the trail in southern PA. and has 4 seperate sections depending on flow, releases and skill level.
Lehigh is OK
Delaware can be fun but is not major
Hudson has some good rapids far upstream
Husatonic can be fun at higher levels
Deerfield is fun if flow is good
Kennebec is good
Penobscot is better
Moose is killer- a little more radical than the Gauley

geek

sloopjonboswell
02-22-2008, 02:23
three letters for rafting around the trail down south- NOC

Jim Adams
02-22-2008, 02:27
three letters for rafting around the trail down south- NOC

NOC in the south
Wilderness Voyaguers in the mid Atlantic
Clark Outdoors in southern N.E.
Steve Longley-Rivers and Trails in Northern N.E.

Yes, most of the time, if your raft flips----it is the guides fault!

geek

Footslogger
02-22-2008, 10:04
In 2003 there was Class 1 - 2 water in several areas RIGHT ON THE TRAIL !!

...just sayin

'Slogger

woodsy
02-22-2008, 11:11
The Dead River, flowing out of Flagstaff Lake, Maine .
They don't call it The Dead for nothing:eek:

DavidNH
02-22-2008, 11:14
The trail goes right to and right by NOC in North Carolina. I believe they are outfitters catering to white water rafting.

David

Grandma
02-22-2008, 11:49
The Gauley is a great river. It's probably the best river for rafting in the east. The others are better for canoeing and kayaking. I've canoed the Nantahala a bunch of times and it's a blast. I rafted it once and it was pretty lame. It was like going 4-wheeling in a bulldozer.

I agree, the Nantahala is lame. One good rapid at the very end. However, if you want to float down the river and drink some beer for a few hours, this is the river for you.

Jim Adams
02-22-2008, 22:27
The Dead River, flowing out of Flagstaff Lake, Maine .
They don't call it The Dead for nothing:eek:

I forgot the Dead...some pretty hairy drops on that river!:cool:

geek

woodsy
02-22-2008, 23:23
Jim Adams
Yes, most of the time, if your raft flips----it is the guides fault!

geek

It's the Lily dippers fault! Not the guide:)

Jan LiteShoe
02-22-2008, 23:37
In 2003 there was Class 1 - 2 water in several areas RIGHT ON THE TRAIL !!

...just sayin

'Slogger

Ha haha... the WET year... :banana
:sun

River Runner
02-24-2008, 03:07
RIVER RUNNER, BS! if the raft flips, its the guide's fault
usually, if the guide is the only one that stays in the raft, he did it on purpose.

Sometimes. Sometimes it is the lilly dippers, as Woodsy says - the ones who won't paddle properly (or paddle the opposite of what the guide is calling for). I had some very poor paddlers in my raft at the time it flipped. We were running a little class 3 called surprise, which has a big hole & if the paddlers don't paddle strongly enough, the raft stalls out in the middle of the hole. I've ran it in a duckie (individual inflatable) too, and had to really dig in to keep from flipping.

The Gauley is by far the king of the East, i am not sure what the NE has to offer however. chances are the gauley wont be running when you pass by on a thru.

The Gauley isn't really that close to the AT, but it does run from I think sometime in March to mid-October. The dam releases and 'Gauley Season' are in Sept thru mid-October, which gives the most exciting water level, but they do other trips, including duckies or 'thrill kats' on the middle section throughout the summer, and sometimes raft trips on the upper and lower in spring and summer, depending on water levels.