PDA

View Full Version : Coosa Backcountry Trail-The Sequel

Bulldawg
02-15-2008, 22:08
OK, I am missing the Skids/Two Speed super hike this weekend due to flu running rampant in my house.

So I am penciling in next weekend (2/23-2/24) for the hike barring rain, extreme cold, or my catching this crap in my house.

Anyone else possibly interested, let's discuss it here.

Skidsteer
02-15-2008, 22:27
Hey John. I changed your thread name slightly so as to avoid confusion with the other Coosa thread.

Let me know if you prefer a different title. :)

Bulldawg
02-15-2008, 22:30
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Thakns SKIDS!

I expect a trail report and reports of any others goings on up there on those mountains this weekend!

Skidsteer
02-15-2008, 22:36
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Thakns SKIDS!

I expect a trail report and reports of any others goings on up there on those mountains this weekend!

You'll get an account of everything we remember.

Generally that will fit in two sentences or so-unless I decide to pack the camcorder. in which case you won't get a report because I'll be in Aruba spending the blackmail money.

gungho
02-15-2008, 22:38
Let's get thru the orginal,then we will talk abot a sequel:sun

Bulldawg
02-17-2008, 21:08
The sequel is tentatively next weekend, weather permitting.

Bulldawg
02-20-2008, 01:23
Well, looks like at least three. Any other takers?

take-a-knee
02-20-2008, 01:25
If it gets weathered out I could go the first weekend in March.

Bulldawg
02-20-2008, 01:26
It's looking pretty darned good right now. You should come on up this weekend.

Two Speed
02-20-2008, 08:50
Well, looks like at least three. Any other takers?Not this time around, but in a coupla two three weeks? You betcha!

BTW, the Quest sleeping bag stashed at Wolf River is up for grabs, as is the bag just short of Calf Stomp Gap. Also a bivy set up downhill from Slaughter. Gotta say that I never seen this much abandoned gear on the CBT. Might do a dayhike with a frame pack just to haul crap.

Phreak
02-20-2008, 09:01
I spoke to Reeper yesterday and I'm planning on hiking with you guys for a few hours then I'll need to move ahead and finish the trail, as I need to be back in Atlanta Saturday evening.

Egads
02-20-2008, 13:52
Go clockwise;)

Phreak
02-20-2008, 14:11
Go clockwise;)

I probably will. Just for comparison purposes. :D

gungho
02-20-2008, 14:44
Go clockwise;)
Good luck with all of that:eek:

gungho
02-20-2008, 14:47
It's looking pretty darned good right now. You should come on up this weekend.
Just a little to far to drive to make two appearances in consecutuve weeks. Maybe in a couple of weeks and who knows maybe this time Roots will be able to make it.

Everybody have fun and stay safe(Any you will be inmy prayers if you try the whole "clockwise" hike

Reeper
02-20-2008, 16:22
Clockwise? I'm pretty sure you (Egads) and Freak have lost your minds.......:banana

gungho
02-20-2008, 17:00
Clockwise? I'm pretty sure you (Egads) and Freak have lost your minds.......:banana
Make sure the oxygen masks are close by:D

FanaticFringer
02-20-2008, 17:59
Reeper just contacted me and invited me on this campout. Sounds like a plan.
I work Saturday so will be arriving late. Probably after dark. He's giving me the 1/4 mile directions to the campsite.:cool: No oxygen tank for me.:p

Phreak
02-20-2008, 18:20
Reeper just contacted me and invited me on this campout. Sounds like a plan.
I work Saturday so will be arriving late. Probably after dark. He's giving me the 1/4 mile directions to the campsite.:cool: No oxygen tank for me.:p

Which campsite? Near the second crossing of Hwy 180?

FanaticFringer
02-20-2008, 18:28
Which campsite? Near the second crossing of Hwy 180?

Not quite sure yet. Waiting on details.

Bulldawg
02-20-2008, 23:18
Not quite sure yet. Waiting on details.

Gosh, I hope we aren't planning on a campsite just a 1/4 mile off 180.

TwoSpeed, isn't wildcat gap 1/4 off a forest service road? And hey, FF, the oxygen tank deal is on day 2!

I also will not even try this thing clockwise, not on an overnight with 20-22 pounds. I might be adventurous and attempt it clockwise in late summer with plenty of daylight for a one day hike.

Phreak is like a speed hiker or something I guess if he plans on leaving with us (around 9:30 or so), hiking the entire trail, and being back in Atlanta by evening!

Sounding like fun with some hangers up there. Who else is up for it??

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:23
Gosh, I hope we aren't planning on a campsite just a 1/4 mile off 180.

TwoSpeed, isn't wildcat gap 1/4 off a forest service road? And hey, FF, the oxygen tank deal is on day 2!

I also will not even try this thing clockwise, not on an overnight with 20-22 pounds. I might be adventurous and attempt it clockwise in late summer with plenty of daylight for a one day hike.

Phreak is like a speed hiker or something I guess if he plans on leaving with us (around 9:30 or so), hiking the entire trail, and being back in Atlanta by evening!

Sounding like fun with some hangers up there. Who else is up for it??

Wildcat Gap is directly on a FS(39)rd.

Wildcat Knob is a decent camping site @1/4 mile South of there.

Bulldawg
02-20-2008, 23:33

Wildcat Knob is a decent camping site @1/4 mile South of there.

Hey Skids, how are the markings up there and is there anywhere we might lose the trail?

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:37
Hey Skids, how are the markings up there and is there anywhere we might lose the trail?

Better than they need to be. One of the trail maintainers apparently got a bargain on yellow paint.

Bulldawg
02-20-2008, 23:40
I hope one of you guys knows how to build a roaring fire!! It looks like the low will probably be around 20-25 on wildcat knob this weekend. Reeper, you gonna leave that truck on the FS road at Wildcat gap? I might leave an army bag I have that is rated to -20*F in your truck just in case.

Skidsteer
02-20-2008, 23:45
I hope one of you guys knows how to build a roaring fire!! It looks like the low will probably be around 20-25 on wildcat knob this weekend. Reeper, you gonna leave that truck on the FS road at Wildcat gap? I might leave an army bag I have that is rated to -20*F in your truck just in case.

:confused: Looks like a low of 35 F. so far.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?MapType=3&site=ffc&CiTemplate=1&map.x=169&map.y=14

Bulldawg
02-20-2008, 23:46
weather.com shows 29 in Suches.

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USGA0541?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

bloodmountainman
02-21-2008, 00:01
I might be able to get out that way on Saturday. I'll look for you guys out there. Any distinguishing signs to look for?:cool:

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 00:10
I might be able to get out that way on Saturday. I'll look for you guys out there. Any distinguishing signs to look for?:cool:

Hey guys, first of all, lets all meet at Winton's at 9AM instead of Vogel at 9:30. Or heck, meet down at Vogel if you want to I guess. Either way if fine. My cell number can be got by emailing me on here. But it will not work once I drop off the north side of the mountain past Winton's. I need a couple of items. Is the store open at 9?

bloodmountainman, Just meet at either Winton's at 9 or Vogel around 9:30. Or if you can't make the whole hike, our planned camp site is Wildcat Knob just off the forest service road.

I still don't really like camping that close to the road, but I guess it's about the only place close to half way.

Two Speed
02-21-2008, 09:02

Wildcat Knob is a decent camping site @1/4 mile South of there.What he said. Coosa Bald is good, too.
Hey guys, first of all, lets all meet at Winton's at 9AM instead of Vogel at 9:30 . . .I'd suggest meeting at the Visitor's Center at Vogel, unless you need gear or something. The parking's kinda limited at Mountain Crossings and Vogel's the best place to leave your vehicle IMHO. If you park at Vogel you'll have park rangers keeping an eye on your vehicle. Yeah, they'll trim you for $3, but it's secured parking.

Basically, park near the lake, check in at the Visitor's Center where they'll ask you if you're prepared and trim ya for that 3 bucks I mentioned. While you're there ask for the free map if you don't have one, and then go for a walk.

Happy Trails!

Phreak
02-21-2008, 09:34
I need a couple of items. Is the store open at 9?
Mountain Crossings opens at 10am.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 09:35
Mountain Crossings opens at 10am.

8am actually

peanuts
02-21-2008, 09:42
yep, what lw said.....8am

Phreak
02-21-2008, 09:49
My bad... I thought they were still opening at 10am.

Reeper
02-21-2008, 12:42
Dang, only 31 degs. I'LL BURN UP AGAIN.........LOL

Phreak
02-21-2008, 12:43
Dang, only 31 degs. I'LL BURN UP AGAIN.........LOL
***** off Reeper! :D

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 13:10
I was thinking 10 AM at Winton's too! But if LW says 8, he is never wrong, so...................

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 13:15
i've been there a million times. it's always open 8am

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 15:47
Any other takers??

Baerman
02-21-2008, 17:04
Put me down as a possible. I'll let you know for sure on friday

Baerman

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 17:07
Put me down as a possible. I'll let you know for sure on friday

Baerman

I'll be out of pocket most of the day on Friday. Just know the particulars. Meet at Mountain Crossings at 8 for some. Leaving from Vogel parking lot no later than 9:30. Arriving at Wildcat Knob camp, whenever you ca get there for Saturday night camp. Hope to see ya up there. You tent or hammock?

FanaticFringer
02-21-2008, 19:04
Reeper can make one mean fire I tell you what. He can sniff out "fat lighter" like a blood hound tracking an escapee.:D

Reeper
02-21-2008, 20:51
FF.....Your killing me..........:D

Bulldawg
02-21-2008, 21:44
Just got back from the grocery store. I guess I added 5 or 6 pounds to my pack.

Reeper
02-22-2008, 10:34
OH oh oh MIGHT GAWD!!!!! iTS ONLY GETTING DOWN TO 35 DEG. I'll FRY LIKE AN EGG!!!!! Somebody gotz a hammock a/c tarp unit I can borrow..........NO FREAK thats not a heater..........:banana

gungho
02-23-2008, 01:48
I hope everyone has an awesome time. Please give us updates

Phreak
02-23-2008, 17:30
Go clockwise;)

I did - 3 hr 42 min w/ an 18 pound pack.:banana

gungho
02-23-2008, 20:51
I did - 3 hr 42 min w/ an 18 pound pack.:banana

How many miles did you do? Did you hike clockwise?

Phreak
02-23-2008, 21:58
The trail is listed at 12.7 miles, but I hiked it with a measuring wheel a few weeks ago and came up with 13.0 miles.

So 13.0 miles and I hiked it clockwise. I honestly don't see much difference in the directions. Traveling clockwise, you have a tough climb right out of the park, followed by another decent climb up to Wildcat Knob, but it's all gravy after that point.

gungho
02-24-2008, 00:28
The trail is listed at 12.7 miles, but I hiked it with a measuring wheel a few weeks ago and came up with 13.0 miles.

So 13.0 miles and I hiked it clockwise. I honestly don't see much difference in the directions. Traveling clockwise, you have a tough climb right out of the park, followed by another decent climb up to Wildcat Knob, but it's all gravy after that point.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_9_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)Kuddos to you. Job well done

Skidsteer
02-24-2008, 09:26
There's a reason he's called Phreak. :D

Skidsteer
02-24-2008, 09:28

Did your wheeled length include from the parking lot to the trailhead, Phreak?

Phreak
02-24-2008, 10:54
Did your wheeled length include from the parking lot to the trailhead, Phreak?

Hey Skids,
I started measuring right after the top of the cement steps past cabin #7.

gungho
02-24-2008, 12:52

Well deserved name:D

gungho
02-24-2008, 12:53
Well deserved name:D

And well earned:eek:

gungho
02-24-2008, 12:55
So, hopefully there is an update of the sequel to follow soon:-?

Reeper
02-24-2008, 18:15
And I can vouch for what Freak did. I passed him on the trail. Two words for ya Freak..........(&^** You!!!!!)......:D

Bulldawg
02-24-2008, 18:21
I can give ya an update. Coosa will kick your a$$ if you aren't ready for all the ups. The hike down to Wolf Creek was a breeze. A very nice hike. Then the ups start, and just like Skids said, they don't stop. I was doing pretty decent until about 3/4 of the way up Coosa. Then a pain hit me in the thigh. I was thinking, I've never hurt like this, ever. I've had feet get sore after stopping for a while. I've had calves get sore after stopping for a while. But I've never had a pain while actually hiking. I guess it was the weight catching up with me. Thank God Reeper stashed that truck at Wildcat Gap so I didn't carry much water, but I was still around 30 lbs I think. I brought WAY too much food though.
As far as the weather, it pretty well sucked all day. Fog and winds most of the day. It was one of those days where you put on a jacket and then have to stop an hour later and take it off only to stop again 30 minutes later to put it on. At about the top of Calf Stomp it really started to get cool. It was about 34*F at the top of Coosa. I kept thinking, where are the 55*F the weathermen were forecasting.
We got to the top of Wildcat around 4:30 so I averaged a little better than 1 mph. I know it was the weight.
The winds got relentless after dark and I would venture to guess the low got down in the mid to upper 20s with gusts out of the north close to 30-40mph. Then around 3 AM the winds stopped and it warmed up. I was actually sweating in my hammock. I was so comfy too. This morning at 7 it was 34*F.
And again, thank God Reeper stashed that truck because my thigh felt like someone had stuck their knife in that thing and twisted it around all night long. I decided to bail right there. I knew with that thigh hurting like it was, there was no way I'd make it up Slaughter Mountain.
So even though I didn't finish, I enjoyed it. I just wish the fog hadn't been so thick all day. We had a god time and I will try it again one day. The weight I think was my nemesis. I will readjust and rethink what I carry and see how it goes.
Oh yeah, I'm so glad Youngblood went. I leaerned a lot about hammock camping from him. And this guy is a speed demon. Nothing like Phreak, but fast nonetheless.

Bulldawg
02-24-2008, 18:31
And I can vouch for what Freak did. I passed him on the trail. Two words for ya Freak..........(&^** You!!!!!)......:D

He was with us at the split in the park and he went clockwise. We met him again (well I did) at about the top of Ben's knob I think. I forgot to look at my watch, but I remember thinking to myself then, "this guy is gonna do this 13 mile loop in 4 hours. I guess I didn't miss it bad.

Egads
02-24-2008, 19:10

Yea, he has one more gear than the rest of us.:banana

Egads

Skidsteer
02-24-2008, 19:29
Yea, he has one more gear than the rest of us.:banana

Egads

Right!

Overdrive, apparently.:D

bloodmountainman
02-24-2008, 21:44
I agree with John; this is a tough little hike!!! I enjoyed the fog mixed with sunlight . The weather wasn't great but it did have it's moments. Beautiful sunrise this morning up above the clouds!!
I had to bail out this morning and didn't complete the hike, but that only gives me something else to get done! A special thanks to Reeper for having an easy out for us!!! John, Youngblood,Reeper, Baerman,Phreak is was a pleasure to meet and hike with you all.

Bulldawg
02-24-2008, 21:50
I agree with John; this is a tough little hike!!! I enjoyed the fog mixed with sunlight . The weather wasn't great but it did have it's moments. Beautiful sunrise this morning up above the clouds!!
I had to bail out this morning and didn't complete the hike, but that only gives me something else to get done! A special thanks to Reeper for having an easy out for us!!! John, Youngblood,Reeper, Baerman,Phreak is was a pleasure to meet and hike with you all.

Hey, I am glad you went. Gave me somebody to pace me because if would have tried to keep up with Baerman and Youngblood, I'd have blown out this thigh muscle a long time before Coosa. Those guys are in much better shape than me for sure.

Join us over at hammockforums.net if you are serious about trying out the hammock thing. While I know you enjoyed that tent in those winds up there last night, it sure looked heavy. Keep me posted on your hikes. we are close enough to do some day hikes on weekends.

Bulldawg
02-24-2008, 21:52
Right!

Overdrive, apparently.:D

I was thinking maybe one or two gears above overdrive.

Phreak
02-24-2008, 21:56
Skids, TS, and/or any others: let me know when you guys are planning another trip on the Coosa. I'm planning on speed hiking the DRT sometime soon and can plan to do it when you guys are going to be out there. I can hike the DRT, then backtrack to where you guys are camping on the Coosa.

Bulldawg
02-24-2008, 21:59
I enjoyed the fog mixed with sunlight . The weather wasn't great but it did have it's moments. Beautiful sunrise this morning up above the clouds!!
all.

Oh yeah, the sunrise this morning was spectacular. I just hate my camera wouldn't focus this morning. I started researching this and this particular camera doesn't do well at temps below 40*F. i guess I should have slept with it last night to keep it warm. The pics are posted here but are a bit blurry.

Skidsteer
02-24-2008, 22:10
Skids, TS, and/or any others: let me know when you guys are planning another trip on the Coosa. I'm planning on speed hiking the DRT sometime soon and can plan to do it when you guys are going to be out there. I can hike the DRT, then backtrack to where you guys are camping on the Coosa.

Sure thing, Phreak.

Egads
02-24-2008, 22:40
Phreak I'm planning on speed hiking the DRT sometime soon

It sounds like another fox & hound hike. Count me in.

Egads

Two Speed
02-25-2008, 06:12
Skids, TS, and/or any others: let me know when you guys are planning another trip on the Coosa . . .Ya know, I just wanna meet you. Don't want to hike with you, ain't no way I'd make that kind of velocity, but I just got to meet the phreak that can hike the Coosa in under 4 hours. That just ain't natural.
Phreak I'm planning on speed hiking the DRT sometime soon

It sounds like another fox & hound hike. Count me in.

EgadsWhew, these fox & hound hikes sound brutal.

Anyway, we've got one cool thing going on: geting a pretty regular WB hike in that area. Skids, we're gonna have to stop being twinkies and give the DRT a "look see" pretty soon.

Baerman
02-25-2008, 08:47
Thanks John for getting this hike organized, it was alot of fun. The weather wasn't great, but it could've been alot worse. It was great meeting and hiking with John,Youngblood,BloodMtnMan & Reeper and watching Phreak blow by. Hope John & BloodMtnman feel better and heal up quick. Hope to hike with ya'll again.

Baerman

Oh yeah thanks again to Reeper for the campfire when we arrived in camp!!:sun

Reeper
02-25-2008, 10:04
That was just what I needed. It was a pleasure meeting everyone. Maybe next time the wood want be so wet..........LOL But it still turned out to be a great trip!!!!! My pleasure on the truck stop, no since in overdoing it. Been there done that..:D Nice Temps too. Made for a great nights sleep!!!! I will say it was cold when we let the fire go out......:eek:

Also, as always it was a pleasure to see Suzi, Maggie and Smoke on the trail:banana

Bulldawg
02-25-2008, 10:21
Thanks John for getting this hike organized, it was alot of fun. The weather wasn't great, but it could've been alot worse. It was great meeting and hiking with John,Youngblood,BloodMtnMan & Reeper and watching Phreak blow by. Hope John & BloodMtnman feel better and heal up quick. Hope to hike with ya'll again.

Baerman

Oh yeah thanks again to Reeper for the campfire when we arrived in camp!!:sun

Glad you could make it. A real special thanks does need to go out to Reeper for the campfire. It was nice to have on Saturday. But we all know those chops where what caused that thing to be stoked up on top of that mountain. maybe we can all get together and make Youngblood's get together at Whitley Gap Shelter the last weekend in March. A nice short hike in if that is what you want. Or you could come in from Neels for a nice 9 miler that day. I have to work that Saturday so if I go I will be coming in from Hogpen late Saturday afternoon.

bloodmountainman
02-25-2008, 10:58
That was just what I needed. It was a pleasure meeting everyone. Maybe next time the wood want be so wet..........LOL But it still turned out to be a great trip!!!!! My pleasure on the truck stop, no since in overdoing it. Been there done that..:D Nice Temps too. Made for a great nights sleep!!!! I will say it was cold when we let the fire go out......:eek:

Also, as always it was a pleasure to see Suzi, Maggie and Smoke on the trail:banana
Hey Reeper; Got any pictures to post? It sucks not having a digital camara! Hope to get one if I get a Government check!!!!!

Bulldawg
02-25-2008, 11:08
Hey Reeper; Got any pictures to post? It sucks not having a digital camara! Hope to get one if I get a Government check!!!!!

Check over on my gallery. I posted the few I had.

Reeper
02-25-2008, 13:30
Sent you a PM Bloodmountain man. I'll try to put them in my gallery tonight also.