PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Gators

Stir Fry
02-16-2008, 09:19
Does anyone know of a good way to attach gators to there shoes other that with the line that they all come with, seems to wear out in 30-40 mi. I was thinking of eather a hook or snaps put on my shoes, but I hate to have to do that to my shoes every time I get a new pair shoes.

warraghiyagey
02-16-2008, 09:20
What about a hook or snaps on your gaiters? Then no need to worry about new shoes.

Stir Fry
02-16-2008, 09:25
What about a hook or snaps on your gaiters? Then no need to worry about new shoes.
I'll put the snaps on the gators also, but still neet a way to attach them to the shoes. there is already a hook for the front of the gators, but knothing on the sides of the shoes to hook to.

dessertrat
02-16-2008, 10:20
Does anyone know of a good way to attach gators to there shoes other that with the line that they all come with, seems to wear out in 30-40 mi. I was thinking of eather a hook or snaps put on my shoes, but I hate to have to do that to my shoes every time I get a new pair shoes.

I did not know that gators came with a line-- I thought the trick was to get them to bite your feet.

Stir Fry
02-16-2008, 11:06
I did not know that gators came with a line-- I thought the trick was to get them to bite your feet.
If you are going to be a smart a** dont answer please.

LIhikers
02-16-2008, 12:21
I don't know what kind of line you gaitors came with but the strap on my OR gaitors has lasted years and many, many miles

highway
02-16-2008, 12:26
Why even use them?

mudhead
02-16-2008, 12:31
Why even use them?

I used them for a time. I detached the strap. Only used the lace hook. These were OR lows. Worked fine.

If you like them, be happy. One could replace the instep strap with parachute cord, stripped of the inner, quite cheaply.

Footslogger
02-16-2008, 12:32

================================

I replaced the line with something more durable and it has lasted a long time. Another option (i"ve heard of but never tried) is to attached a small tab of velcro to the middle/bottom of the gator and also on the outer surface of the footwear.

30 - 40 minutes isn't very good life for line under any circumstances. If it was me I would try and get my hands on some more durable line first.

'Slogger

Terry7
02-16-2008, 12:33
Why even use them?
When wearing shorts they keep your sox from getting dirty and wet.

dessertrat
02-16-2008, 12:33
If you are going to be a smart a** dont answer please.

Lighten up, Trafton. And learn how to spell gaiter.:p

Cuffs
02-16-2008, 12:36
I was thinking the same thing... the only gators on my feet come in size 9, with a high polish.

But some hikers might wear gaiters...

johnny quest
02-16-2008, 14:56
this is what i did:
cut a couple of pieces of tubular strap. make it longer than your boot is wide. (rei and any store that carrys climbing gear will have it...but at rei you have to ask. its usually on a role behind a counter.)
melt the frayed ends.
then run the shoestring-like cord that came with your gaiters thru the tube-strap. the tube-strap will go under your sole.
cinch it up like normal. the tube-strap will take all the wear and tear. and those things take alot.
i havent tried it yet but am thinking of replacing the shoestring with elastic cord.

gumball
02-16-2008, 15:08
My winter gaiters, I haven't had a problem with the strap (I assume you mean the one that goes under the shoe) wearing out--its been good.

I wear very light short summer gaiters from REI. They work with trail runners to keep the junk out of my shoe. I hate it when junk gets in my shoe--and those straps did break after a couple of seasons wear and tear. At Walmart, where they sell bungee cords, they sell a little plastic container full of mini-bungees, all of about 4 or 5" long, with metal hooks on each end. We use those on the summer gaiters. They are inexpensive and have lasted thru several seasons--and you get enough of them inexpensively to replace them if you need to. The hooks are malleable enough that you can cinch them tightly if you want.

Gum

Blissful
02-16-2008, 15:12
I started out with mine but I felt they contributed to blisters by making my feet hot. The debris they keep out was minimal (never had a problem with debris really). I sent mine home after four days.

highway
02-17-2008, 07:09
When wearing shorts they keep your sox from getting dirty and wet.

I hike only in shorts

johnny quest
02-17-2008, 11:45
I hike only in shorts

we will alert the media.

lonehiker
02-17-2008, 12:22
I had the same problem but found that the strap (line) really wasn't necessary. I simply use the front hook. I hook to the lowest shoestring. Have had no problems with them slippping up above the tops of my shoes on the sides or the back.

springerfever
02-17-2008, 12:33
here you go :

simply cut to the proper length.

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/product_p/195.htm

big_muddy
02-17-2008, 13:11
I've rigged up something using small bungee cords that run through the grommets. I cut the hooks off one side of the bungee leaving the metal coil, and I cut the other one completely off. On the one I cut off I put one of those slide locks (used on jackets, etc.) to tighten them up. I got the idea from a product my local REI sold that was the same idea to replace the strings on the lighter weight gaiters.

Gaiter
02-17-2008, 15:14
the string on my mini gaiters has been gone for along time, just use the hook on hte laces and they stay down, they keep my socks clean, the main reason i wear them. i think mine are loosing their water resistance though, might need to get another pair