PDA

View Full Version : Cabela XPG Series Backpacks

tboyflyer
02-17-2008, 01:15
Does anyone have any experience with the Cabela's XPG series backpacks? I am considering my first pack and am comparing them to many others on the market and the weight and quality seems pretty decent for the money. Can anyone comment on the carrying capacity and gerneral quality of these packs?
Thanks,
Tboy

fiddlehead
02-17-2008, 03:13
Didn't know Cabela's was getting into the backpacking game.
I come from PA near Port Clinton where they just built a huge one a few years ago.

I was helping a friend gearing up for an upcoming Himalayan hike we did together and went there looking for gaitors. The guy in the shoe dept kept telling me (3 times) that i had to go to the fishing dept. to get waders. EVEN after i told him that i was looking for gaitors with a G.

Finally he admitted that they don't carry them. I guess guys who shoot water buffaloes and zebras don't really need that kind of gear.

I did buy a petzel headlamp there. They were right next to the pull-start 2 cycle engine powering the mix-drink blender! (weighing in at about 45 lbs)

Not cutting down CAbela's. I think they have a niche in the outdoor world, but i don't see them selling much for my hiking style.

Jimmers
02-17-2008, 04:21
Cabelas gear tends to be good quality, if on the heavy side. For example, here's their idea of what an "Ultralight" backpack would look like.

Dimensions: 29"H x 13-1/2"W x 8"D. (4000 cubic inch)
Weight: 4 lbs. 13 oz. (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031777516775a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=backpack+xpg&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=backpack+xpg&noImage=0)

Great gear for 10 years ago. They're a little behind on the times though.;)
I really think I'd look around some more before deciding. Never know what you might find.

Doughnut
02-17-2008, 08:06
Tboy,
I bought a Eureka sleeping bag, a down jacket, and a nylon pack to fit my frame (I use external frame still) all from Cabela's, all for ALOT less than anywhere else, and I am extremely pleased with the quality and service.
I also went to a Coleman Outlet store after Christmas and picked up some items without the brand names on them for alot less.

If it suits you and your style, and you are happy, then use it!
Good Luck!
Have fun!

Dough Nut

Toolshed
02-17-2008, 11:08
I live close to the Cabela's in Hamburg, and as a result, tend to hit the bargain cave on a regular basis. I scoped out an XPG Pack for $25 with the water reservoir - Brand new. Bought it. Used it for 2 monhts and sold it on Ebay. Did not like the way the pack fit. The zippers didn't seem that good and I don't know if the closed cell foam in the shoulder straps could take a daily beating. I also found the nylon to feel rather flimsy and did not have a heavy coating of polyurethane like you would find on higher quality Kelty Marmot and others.

You get what you pay for and somewhere along the line, Cabella's is probably looking at their customers and probably thinking - How often will they use this pack and how far will they actually carry it - once every year or so and hike foe a few miles. Lets cut back on things like good quality zippers, heavier R/S nylon cordura, make only 2 passes with P/U rather than 6. Oh Yeah, and it will cut down the weight making it "Ultralight"
Let's use cheaper nylon straps that don't side as well, cheaper elastic around water bottle pockets that cannot take the stress of being jammed and loosen up over time, let's cut those bar tacks in half...save some money....
You don't need 5/8 in closed cell foam in those hips and shoulder pads. Use 1/4" an wrap it with some cheaper Open cell foam..... Now you're getting the picture....

Whether they do all or any of this, I don't know, but if I am making backpacks that cost less for the hunting and fishing crowd that might never put in a weeks worth of 100 mil trails, those are all the placed I would cut quality in order to make my pack cheaper and fit their ocassional needs.

dessertrat
02-17-2008, 12:09
On the thought that you "get what you pay for", one should remember that oftentimes the buyers of outdoor gear are paying for the label, and they get it! I have seen the notion that quality depends upon price blasted so many times that I pay no heed to brand names anymore.

Toolshed
02-17-2008, 12:48
On the thought that you "get what you pay for", one should remember that oftentimes the buyers of outdoor gear are paying for the label, and they get it! I have seen the notion that quality depends upon price blasted so many times that I pay no heed to brand names anymore. See, I think customers are still getting what they pay for in those situations - probably prestige, an image, it may have nothing to do with the product performance whatsoever and simply that pretty little lable.

I do prefer function over form or fashion. Most that I know (with exception to the outoor community) are usually completely the opposite. Auto's being a prime example. You need something to get back and forth to work - I drive a an inexpensive deisel VW golf or a pickup truck - Both not exactly stylish in my corporate parking lot with all the 750i's, s-classes, Q45s and other extremely stylish imports. In fact - I have gotten the snotty look before when pulling in the P/U and parking next to an $80K car. :D

I'll just keep saving my money... Nobody I need to impress....

HUNTHIKELIFT
02-17-2008, 14:32
I can personally tell you my opinion on this pack. I used it last year from Neels to Dicks Creek Gap. I carried a pack weight of 46lbs. I abused the pack to the fullest. The only issue I ever had was one of my side compression clips broke under stress....but great stress due to my terrible load job in the morning before setting off on the trail. I HIGHLY recommend this pack. For the price and for the quality.
I unfortunately had to rid of my pack though because I tore my medial and lateral meniscus and had to go the ultralight route. I ended up selling my pack at 2007 TrailDays to a through hiker for $75. I definately got great use out of it and I hope Stacy(?) made great use out of it also.
Hope I helped.
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031777516775a.shtml