PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid jumping rocks

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 09:46
I have hiked over flat rocks, round rocks, pointy rocks, big rocks, little rocks, rocking chair rocks, all kinds of rocks. Yesterday, was my first time to meet a stoopid jumping rock. I was out for a simple, 5-mile day hike and decided to hike free - pack free, water free, snack free - no ropes, nets, or leki poles. Nada, except warm clothes and hiking shoes. The trail was snowy, icy and it was 17 degrees when I started. I didn't even have gloves or anything to cover my ears. I was hiking free as a bird.

Well, I had some interesting, steep, hand over hand climbs and descents over the icy trail. I held my nerve by breaking it down into 10 foot segments. I made it through the worst unscathed, or thought I did. I started on a relatively flat area avoiding the ice by dancing on the rocks poking up through the snow cover. All of a sudden, this stoopid jumping rock jumped up and grabbed the heal of my shoe. Down I went. No pack to fall on, no gloves to soften the blow, where the heck are my leki poles I screamed... after ouch, oww, and double damn. Stoopid jumping rocks.

I must have bounced off 3 big old nasty rocks, cousins of the stoopid jumping rock. I banged my right thigh, left calf and caught a pointing rock right on my knee cap. I managed to hike out the next two miles without too much pain or difficulty. Hopefully, the knee will be fine. I hardly notice it except when I just went down the stairs. Ouch.

Being a scout leader and WB preacher on being prepared, I feel kind of silly. I enjoyed hiking free, but next time my leki's come with me. I blame LW and his anti-leki mantra. :)

Not to worry. I will be fine. Just wanted to caution you all on those stoopid jumping rocks. One may have your name on it if you aren't prepared.

mudhead
02-17-2008, 10:32
The jumping rocks lay in wait, sensing when you have become complacent, or comfortable with their bretheren. Remain cautious and humble, for the jumping rocks are everywhere. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

zoidfu
02-17-2008, 10:34
I can't stand the kind that reach out and grab your ankle. I haven't met the jumping ones yet...

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 10:39
The jumping rocks lay in wait, sensing when you have become complacent, or comfortable with their bretheren. Remain cautious and humble, for the jumping rocks are everywhere. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Funny (not) thing was, I was just saying to myself, "slow down and focus". :o

I can't stand the kind that reach out and grab your ankle. I haven't met the jumping ones yet...

Ankle-grabbing, foot wedging, jumping rocks are all stoopid. I think Minnesota Smith should replace them all. :)

Tipi Walter
02-17-2008, 10:40
I was coming down the Crowder Creek trail in the Citico Wilderness once and stepped on what I thought was a slanted rock but it was really an ice-covered piece of wood. On my back was a 55 pound pack and I went down like a big sack of feed, BLAM!! One single palm of my hand stopped the fall and I ended up gouging a big hole down by the wrist.

And think of Stumpknocker's fall on ice on the AT back in 2006. He slipped and fell several feet downhill and ended with a broken humerous bone up by his shoulder.

In my 20s/30s/40s I would fall consistently and often, always wearing a pack and 99% of the time going downhill. Lately I have not fallen because I slow down and carefully look where I'm walking. Most falls can be prevented.

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 10:45
I have fallen before, but my pack tends to take the brunt of it. Ice or wet leaves have usually been the means, so I thought the dry rocks would be my friends. Silly me. :o

mudhead
02-17-2008, 10:46
Better knock on some wood, real quick.

Dry rocks? I see you have not yet met the jumping rocks friends, big grit.

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 10:54
Better knock on some wood, real quick.

I did. Now I have a headache. :D

I still cannot believe that I went hiking so unprepared and thought it was a good idea. I thought I was hiking free as a bird. In those conditions, I was hiking free as a bird ... without wings. My Leki's are coming next time for sure. It would have been one thing to stick to the easy gentle trail I planned to hike, but discovering the park I went to had some serious trails... Well, the rest is history and hopefully my knee will stop yelling at me very soon.

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 10:56
Dry rocks? I see you have not yet met the jumping rocks friends, big grit.

I showed my true grit, or was that nit wit, by just taking a quick peek at the damage and kept on walking. [Left, owww, right ouchhh, left owww, damn!]

notorius tic
02-17-2008, 10:58
I broke both of my poles, coming off of Plesant Pond, Its was not a Plesant Mnt..Damb those jumping ROCKS..

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 10:58
When I started I was mildly amused that this non-AT park used blue blazes to mark the hardest trail - the one I hiked. I am not amused now.

Bare Bear
02-17-2008, 11:53
I bet they are gnome mutant rocks from PA. Thats where all the really nasty ones are born you know.

hopefulhiker
02-17-2008, 12:02
In Vermont I was walking across this big boulder field and all of a sudden the boulder I was walking on suddenly tilted! It was a little scary..

Scrollner
02-17-2008, 12:03
I had one of those grab me last fall - ended up with a broken ankle.

emerald
02-17-2008, 12:57
The jumping rocks lay in wait, sensing when you have become complacent, or comfortable with their brethren. Remain cautious and humble, for the jumping rocks are everywhere. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thou shalt not fear what's known to western Pennsylvania hikers as jagger-rocks, but woe to the hiker who focuses insufficiently or excessively on the treadway. When one is one with the trail, flowing with it, jagger-rocks are never manifest.

When one is two, two must be made one, but the harder each tries to become the other the more elusive oneness becomes. To vanquish jagger-rocks, a hiker must submit to the wisdom of the trail.

No jagger-rock maps have ever been created, nor will they ever be for jagger-rocks have no physically identifiable characteristics. How can it be there are no jagger-rocks, yet they spring up out of nowhere and disappear again when one looks for what was not there moments before?:-?

Footslogger
02-17-2008, 13:23
I have hiked over flat rocks, round rocks, pointy rocks, big rocks, little rocks, rocking chair rocks, all kinds of rocks. Yesterday, was my first time to meet a stoopid jumping rock. I was out for a simple, 5-mile day hike and decided to hike free - pack free, water free, snack free - no ropes, nets, or leki poles. Nada, except warm clothes and hiking shoes. The trail was snowy, icy and it was 17 degrees when I started. I didn't even have gloves or anything to cover my ears. I was hiking free as a bird.

Well, I had some interesting, steep, hand over hand climbs and descents over the icy trail. I held my nerve by breaking it down into 10 foot segments. I made it through the worst unscathed, or thought I did. I started on a relatively flat area avoiding the ice by dancing on the rocks poking up through the snow cover. All of a sudden, this stoopid jumping rock jumped up and grabbed the heal of my shoe. Down I went. No pack to fall on, no gloves to soften the blow, where the heck are my leki poles I screamed... after ouch, oww, and double damn. Stoopid jumping rocks.

I must have bounced off 3 big old nasty rocks, cousins of the stoopid jumping rock. I banged my right thigh, left calf and caught a pointing rock right on my knee cap. I managed to hike out the next two miles without too much pain or difficulty. Hopefully, the knee will be fine. I hardly notice it except when I just went down the stairs. Ouch.

Being a scout leader and WB preacher on being prepared, I feel kind of silly. I enjoyed hiking free, but next time my leki's come with me. I blame LW and his anti-leki mantra. :)

Not to worry. I will be fine. Just wanted to caution you all on those stoopid jumping rocks. One may have your name on it if you aren't prepared.

===============================

Ya know ...there are some tree roots that must be close cousins. Datgawn things leap up out of nowhere and catch the toe of my shoe everytime !!

'Slogger

dessertrat
02-17-2008, 14:12

Seriously, your life is your own, but what happens if you break your leg out there when it's 17 degrees and you have nothing but the clothes you are wearing, and not even a hat, by the sound of it?

There have been enough tales on whiteblaze so that nobody should do that.:(

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 14:28

Ya know ...there are some tree roots that must be close cousins. Datgawn things leap up out of nowhere and catch the toe of my shoe everytime !!

'Slogger

I have met some of those datgawn bad roots. Makes one feel like a klutz.

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 14:34
Seriously, your life is your own, but what happens if you break your leg out there when it's 17 degrees and you have nothing but the clothes you are wearing, and not even a hat, by the sound of it?

Good point and perhaps I should have out this in context. I was never in danger of being left alone. It was a state park and never more than 15 minutes from seeing or hearing other folks out for the day. I was out in the morning when I wouldn't have to worry about being the last hiker of the day. When I hike the AT or more remote areas, I always have a partner.

gsingjane
02-17-2008, 23:00
Where were you in CT? Just curious...Jane

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 23:04
Where were you in CT? Just curious...Jane

Sleeping Giant State Park. I took the blue trail from the picnic area up the head and kept following across to the Tower and down the other side. I hiked very close to some amazing hawks who landed on their perch very close to the trail just east of the Tower.

Montego
02-17-2008, 23:10
UFO's: 1 EARTHLINGS: 0 :D

jzakhar
02-17-2008, 23:13
Sleeping Giant State Park. I took the blue trail from the picnic area up the head and kept following across to the Tower and down the other side. I hiked very close to some amazing hawks who landed on their perch very close to the trail just east of the Tower.

That's a nice walk, did you take the longer route winding up or the shortcut trails bypassing the lazy switchbacks ?

Tin Man
02-17-2008, 23:20
That's a nice walk, did you take the longer route winding up or the shortcut trails bypassing the lazy switchbacks ?

I stayed on the blue blazed, most difficult rated trail to the top. It passes over the easiest rated Tower Path several times. There were a few section where I had to climb up and down using my hands. I took continued on the blue trail over the top and down to some easier trails back to the parking area. A lot of fun...until my fall. :o

envirodiver
02-17-2008, 23:24
You know...just this weekend I had a sneaking stick jump out and grab the front of my foot as I was walking downhill. However, I think that it was just trying to establish dominance, because it face planted me into a very nice thick blanket of leaves.

Nothing hurt but my pride and having to answer all the "are you OK questions". I think the stick knew this would happen.

kayak karl
02-18-2008, 00:40

'Slogger
no rocks in the pines. we got thorny vines that reach out from side of trail, wrap around your feet and try to drag you into the cedar swamps. really!, a few almost got me one night while i was snipe hunting.

River Runner
02-18-2008, 04:30
I hate those stoopid rolling rocks too. You know, the little ones, balanced on the bigger ones that as soon as you step on them decide they need to do some somersaults. I had the close acquaintance of one of them this fall, and they also work in cahoots with the sharp pointy rocks to position themselves just right so they can steer your knee for the sharp pointy rock. I think they get extra points that way.

mudhead
02-18-2008, 09:05
Rocks don't get extra points.

They already know they will win.

Darwin again
02-18-2008, 09:51

That's the gospel, rat.

We don't need any bad news here.
Be prepared. Always.:o

gsingjane
02-18-2008, 10:18
Oooh, Sleeping Giant. I love the Giant! We were there about 3 weeks ago and were surprised at how much snow there was, especially on the shaded areas around the violet and yellow trails on the other side of the head. You are right, though, it was darn slippery in a number of spots, especially coming down the blue trail.

Have you heard about their patch program, where you hike all the trails and submit a report, and then you are something like a Giants Ranger? It sounds like a fun reason to go on all the trails and see all you can at the park.

Take care,

Jane in CT

p.s. If you are in our neck of the woods, please do come and give Westwoods a try. We have some trails I know you will find fun and challenging!

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 10:27
Oooh, Sleeping Giant. I love the Giant! We were there about 3 weeks ago and were surprised at how much snow there was, especially on the shaded areas around the violet and yellow trails on the other side of the head. You are right, though, it was darn slippery in a number of spots, especially coming down the blue trail.

Have you heard about their patch program, where you hike all the trails and submit a report, and then you are something like a Giants Ranger? It sounds like a fun reason to go on all the trails and see all you can at the park.

Take care,

Jane in CT

p.s. If you are in our neck of the woods, please do come and give Westwoods a try. We have some trails I know you will find fun and challenging!

Thanks Jane. I will check it out sometime. Do they offer youth camping? I am always looking for new places to take our Scout Troop.

ki0eh
02-18-2008, 11:55
Yep, when I went to the "green stake" on Mt Frissell and looped back past more exciting monuments and viewpoints, I could see that PA had no monopoly on rocks! :D

gsingjane
02-18-2008, 12:22
No, unfortunately WestWoods is for day hiking only. But, as you probably know, Deer Lake Scout Camp and Chatfield Hollow S.P. aren't far away. You could definitely "base camp" at Deer Lake and shuttle down and have some fun at WestWoods. Or, you could try Bluff Head or the Broomstick Ledges trails on either side of Rt. 77 (just take Rt. 80 westbound from Deer Lake and take a right on 77, up to the trailhead north of Lake Quonnipaug). Those trails also hook into the Mattabeset trail system that runs all the way up to the Mass. border.

We have some fine, fine hiking in this area!

Jane in CT

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 13:16
Thanks again Jane. Have you been to People's State Park in Barkhamsted, near Torrington? They offer excellent trails, scenery and youth group camping.

gsingjane
02-18-2008, 13:42
That would be a cool one to try, too. I will be leading lots of GS trips over the spring, summer and fall and it is going to be awesome to have the excuse to check out all these different trails!

Jane

p.s. Are you a member of CT Forest & Park Ass'n? Speaking of awesome...

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 15:47
Jane, I wasn't aware of that organization. I have paid memberships with ATC, AMC, ADK, BSA and WB.

kayak karl
02-18-2008, 17:18
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29815/rock_monster/
which river crossing is this?

gungho
02-19-2008, 00:04
Those stoopid rocks always seem to get me right near the end of a long hike. I think they just lurk around the trail waiting for me:-?:eek: