PDA

View Full Version : Gorp check

Flush2wice
02-17-2008, 16:51
Here's my big 4-
Planters honey roasted peanuts- 4 oz.
Sunmaid raisins- 4 oz. (thinking about switching to raisinettes for more choc.)
plain M&M's- 4 oz.
roasted sunflower kernels- 4 oz.

This is pretty basic but I want to keep it simple and not complicate it with a bunch of redundant stuff (like peanuts and peanut m&m's).
Also I'm not really a pretzel guy.
Comments, suggestions?
Am I leaving out something obvious?

Appalachian Tater
02-17-2008, 16:54
Honey roast cashews or plain cashews are good for a change. The peanut butter (not peanut) M&Ms are good, too, better than Reese's Pieces. Also dried cherries are nice for a change from raisins. And Goldfish are fun.

Hoop
02-17-2008, 17:38
Dried cranberries (tart) & different nuts -- pecan, walnut, pistachio fer some flav variety

bigmac_in
02-17-2008, 18:34
My life changed when they invented MEGA M&Ms. More chocolate per candy....Mmmmmm.

shelterbuilder
02-17-2008, 18:49
I agree with Tater - CASHEWS!!!!:)

tazie
02-17-2008, 18:50
Gorp is a main food group in our house. I'm always tweaking my recipe (depending on what's on sale,good for you snack, etc) ..
right now, gotta have:

*plain m&ms (m&m purist, remember the tan ones? I miss those)
*Post Trail mix crunch cereal, cranberry vanilla, I like for the 90% iron content
*walnuts (health benefits are off the charts for these nuts)

Good stuff. High in fat(but the good kind) so nibble only after a minimum 2hr hike or at least 4miles on the trail..and you won't feel too guilty..
Great thread- thanks for asking!

Ashman
02-17-2008, 19:05
I am a big fan of dried pineapple and/or bannana chips

mudhead
02-17-2008, 20:01
If you can get to Sam's, Planters Virginia Salted Cocktail Peanuts. My favorite size. (stupid large.) Cheap! Better than standard sized cans at the grocer.

Bulldawg
02-17-2008, 21:07
I like the honey roasted peanuts, lightly salted almonds, chocolate m&ms, and cashew mix.

bigcranky
02-17-2008, 21:08
Cashews, dried tart cherries, and chocolate chips. Heaven in a ziploc bag.

Bulldawg
02-17-2008, 21:12
MMMMmmmmmmm Chocolate chips semi sweet ~(8(l)

Flush2wice
02-17-2008, 22:33
Dried cherries would be a great substitute for the raisins. I used to put them in salads at a salad bar I went to years ago. I ate there every day for a summer. The manager removed them after he realized how expensive they were.
I've done cranberries before, they are a good tart change-up.
Roasted walnuts sound good too.
Choc chips are great but- I was at Charlie's Bunion one time and a kid was there scarfing down a bag of semi-sweet ones. He ate too many too fast and barfed all over himself. That was real nasty.
The banana chips are a bit weird for me in gorp but I like them with a dab of peanut butter.
Something else good with peanut butter- Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey.

Webs
02-17-2008, 23:19
Experimenting with cereals is often tasty and always interesting. Kix are a good choice because they don't have an intense flavor to clash with. Ooooh, Cracklin Oat Bran is really good, and very dense calorie-wise. Honeycomb cereal mixed with honey-roasted peanuts and Reeses pieces would be a delicious combo. :)
Well, I'm off to the cereal aisle...

Montego
02-17-2008, 23:27
Wheat or Corn Chex
Cashews
Shredded coconut
Dried fruit (apricots, raisins)
Skittles

take-a-knee
02-18-2008, 00:14
Planters Energy Mix with some dark chocolate Raisinettes.

Dogwood
02-18-2008, 04:01
Want a complete super nutritous high calorie trail mix for its weight without all the junk(preservatives, food dyes, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, high sugar content, etc.??? Try a mix of raw slivered almonds, raw unroasted pepitas(shelled pumpkin seeds), pine nuts, and raw shelled pumpkin seeds. If u want to add some sweetness add dried Goji berries or unsweetened dried coconut. Nuts, seeds, legumes(dried beans, lentils, etc.) and whole grains(cous cous, quinoa, brown rice) are some of the most nutitous high calorie low wt. foods U can take on the trail.

Dogwood
02-18-2008, 04:02
Didn't mean to list pumpkin seeds twice. Meant to add unroasted shelled seeds.

Chantilly Lace
02-18-2008, 04:48
Gum drops with salted peanuts! Hardly nutritious but satisfies my snack craving.

Farr Away
02-18-2008, 18:20
Cashews, dark chocolate, dried cranberries, and candied ginger. Amazing!

hopefulhiker
02-18-2008, 18:30
butterscotch, walnuts, coconut,

nightshaded
02-18-2008, 18:33
how about those peanut butter filled m&m's? they've got more pb in them than reeses pieces, and would make a great gorp addition.

my favourite gorp recipe is as follows:
yogurt-covered raisins, cashews, almonds, dried cranberries and dark chocolate pieces.

shelterbuilder
02-18-2008, 20:41
Cashews, dark chocolate, dried cranberries, and candied ginger. Amazing!

OMG! That sounds awesome!

Happy
02-18-2008, 21:38
Walnuts, Almonds, Dried cranberries and raisens (or other dried fruit) and dark chocolate peanut M&M's for something tastey and healthy! Less sugar with the peanut M&M's, but perfect sweetness with the salt of the nut's!!

You have the benefits of the two healthiest nuts!!! Add some goldfish or other crackers if desired. :)

Footslogger
02-18-2008, 21:43
Have tried a lot of different mixes but so far, the best single thing I've ever added is DRIED BLUEBERRIES !! ...man, they really add flavor to the mix.

'Slogger

Flush2wice
02-18-2008, 22:13
Glad I started this thread- here's what I'm trying that's new:
Dried Cherries- I've had 'em but not in gorp
Smoked almonds- Emerald brand in the little plastic can, theyr'e great.
P-nut butter m&m's but I'd have to remove the redundant peanuts. ( I'm not sold on this til I try it). I hate Reese's Pieces but you guys say these are better.
Yogurt Raisins- got to be healthier than Raisinettes.
Dried Blueberries- That sounds great, where do you find those?
Personal pref- I'm not really into the cracker type stuff in my gorp. Stuff like Pretzels, cereals, goldfish, granola, etc. I'd rather have that by itself.

Footslogger
02-18-2008, 22:15
[quote=Flush2wice;541440]
Dried Blueberries- That sounds great, where do you find those?

=========================================

I get mine at Walmart in the dried fruit section, by the raisins, craisins etc. Their not cheap but go a long way ...and man are they tasty !!

By the way, they're GREAT in oatmeal too !!

'Slogger

Wedge1173
02-23-2008, 22:25
Capn Crunch, Craisins and Peanuts

budforester
03-06-2008, 18:54
Have tried a lot of different mixes but so far, the best single thing I've ever added is DRIED BLUEBERRIES !! ...man, they really add flavor to the mix.

'Slogger

I finally found some dried blueberries this morning and tried them in my GORP. They are VERY good. Thanks Footslogger!

Then I tuned into WhiteBlaze and learned about the "cardiac adventure". Get well soon, Footslogger!

Trail Trooper
03-06-2008, 19:49
X the raisinettes they will melt in your food bag not in your mouth

earthbound
03-06-2008, 19:58
I LOVE honey teddy grahams in my gorp. (those little bear shaped cookies) They are awesome in gorp.r

vonfrick
03-06-2008, 20:30
chocolate covered espresso beans
broken up granola bars
banana chips
some kind of honey roasted nuts

and yes...the chocolate melts, and at night resolidifies into chunks of delicious magical caffeinated goodness :)

Blissful
03-06-2008, 20:32
These gorp mixes are sounding much better than what I brought last year. We need to create an online WB cookbook.

Farr Away
03-11-2008, 13:48
These gorp mixes are sounding much better than what I brought last year. We need to create an online WB cookbook.
That sounds like a great idea!

Evil Eye
03-21-2008, 09:09
Such good suggestions.

Last year on my Thru I ended up with a base mix of roasted almonds more than p-nuts (almonds seem much easier on the digestive system) & regular M&Ms - and then what ever else I could find along the way - many assorted dried fruits, walnuts, pecans, cashews, sunflower seeds, cereals, etc.

Also enjoyed those giant Hershey & Cadbury bars - often - for an easy dessert &
Ice cream by the whole pint in almost every town - B&J's Creme Brulee(sp) was a particularly rich favorite.

Ah, such sweet memories!!

Thoughtful Owl
03-21-2008, 10:18
Here's my big 4-
Planters honey roasted peanuts- 4 oz.
Sunmaid raisins- 4 oz. (thinking about switching to raisinettes for more choc.)
plain M&M's- 4 oz.
roasted sunflower kernels- 4 oz.

This is pretty basic but I want to keep it simple and not complicate it with a bunch of redundant stuff (like peanuts and peanut m&m's).
Also I'm not really a pretzel guy.
Comments, suggestions?
Am I leaving out something obvious?

I like to add almonds and if I can find them seseme sticks. I have tried the raisinettes, but the chocolate would get soft and melt.

thefistpump
03-22-2008, 18:06
Thanks for all the variations and ideas guys. I'll need to perfect a mix before heading out this summer.:-?

Monkeyboy
03-22-2008, 20:01
I like to change it around with different combos....

Adding different types of nuts...I like almonds, whole or sliced.
Soy nuts.
Banana chips.
Other dried fruits like pineapple, papaya, ginger.
Sometimes the candied fruit added to fruit cake.
Crunchy grains like granola or granola clusters cereal.
Sometimes bran cereals in clusters are good too or Grape Nuts.
Or for something completely different, oriental rice crackers.

budforester
03-22-2008, 21:40
Like Monkeyboy, I switch components. I sometimes add or substitute these:
Goldfish crackers
Cheese-it crackers
Butterscotch chips
Sunflower "nuts"
Pumpkin seeds

Philippe
03-22-2008, 22:03

'Slogger

Make sure they're Maine wild berries, if you can get them. They have a lot more flavor then the much bigger, but blander cultivated berries.

Flush2wice
03-22-2008, 22:42
I went out today for a day hike and had to buy some gorp ingredients on the fly at a crappy grocery store in Erwin. Tried something new- Welch's Berry Medley. It's dried blueberries, cherries, cranberries, and golden raisins. Added to that- honey roasted p-nuts, dark choc m&m's and a little bit of pistachio's that I brought from home. Overall not good. Bad ratios due to mixing while driving. Not enough m&m's because they were a dollar for the little bag. I've never liked golden raisins. I thought the berry medley was not very good- Welch's should dry it some more, it was too wet. Never tasted the blueberries. I'll dump a lot more m&m's in it and add some smoked almonds and see if I can fix it. I thought the pistachios were all wrong in this mix too.

greentick
03-22-2008, 22:43
DO NOT TRY DRIED MANGOS FROM SUNSWEET!!!!!!!!!!! You will never look at other dried fruits the same. They blasted cherries off of my list and go great with cashews. They are the crack of dried fruit. Fairly high in antioxidants if you're into that.

I like banana chips in the summer for the K.

BR360
03-22-2008, 22:53
Three words to add some spice:

Wasabi soy beans!!!

I mix them with sesame stix and raisins (or cranberries), but mostly end up strip-mining the soy beans out by themselves. Nice spicy alternative to the salty and sweet...

Monkeyboy
03-22-2008, 23:02
DO NOT TRY DRIED MANGOS FROM SUNSWEET!!!!!!!!!!! You will never look at other dried fruits the same. They blasted cherries off of my list and go great with cashews. They are the crack of dried fruit. Fairly high in antioxidants if you're into that.

I like banana chips in the summer for the K.

Dang! Forgot about those......

Took those on my hike last month.......absolute sweetness.

I usually dry my own, but not anymore!!!! Those beat mine hands down, and mine are pretty damn good.

Monkeyboy
03-22-2008, 23:04
Three words to add some spice:

Wasabi soy beans!!!

I mix them with sesame stix and raisins (or cranberries), but mostly end up strip-mining the soy beans out by themselves. Nice spicy alternative to the salty and sweet...

Yeah....that's why I add soy nuts and rice crackers, which have the wasabi peas and sesame stix in them......

Definately adds a whole new method to the madness.....

Erin
03-23-2008, 00:57
Candy corn goes awfully good with the peanuts.

KnowledgeEngine
04-30-2008, 01:34
1/4 Pound Each-
Large coconut flakes
Almonds-Whole
Macadamia Nuts-Whole
Tamari/Bragg Aminios Pumpkin Seeds - Roasted
Sunflower Seeds - Raw
Almonds Cocoa Dusted (Chocolate Covered, then dusted)
Goji Berries - Dehydrated
Blueberries - Dehydrated (sweetened-all was available)
Carob Spirulina Energy Chunks (kinda like bite size brownie engergy bar pieces)
Brazil Nuts
Bannanna Chips - Crushed into smaller pieces
Chocolate Covered Cystalized Ginger
1/2 Lb
Honey Roasted Peanuts - Organic
12 ounce sack
Milk Chocolate Chips

This trail mix/gorp has been a huge hit on local hikes. I value it because it emphazises FAT and CARBS. Also loaded with omega 3 & 6, as well as protein, fiber, and ANTIOXIDANTS. It has a sugar boost, really everything I want. It gives a 3 part mouth taste. Nutty at first, followed by chocolate, then by berries.

You kinda just grab the ginger or the energy chunk if it's what you want---they are large. The mix stays suprisingly well distrubuted though. I hate how much it costs me though. I figure it equates to like $8/lb. Can't beat the nutrition in this one though :)

bkrownd
05-09-2008, 01:10
I carry
dried fruits: cherries, apple rings, medjool dates, figs
salts and munchies: jerky, salted cashews, unsalted brazil nuts, arare, cheese-its and sesame sticks.

I always keep the separate, and just choose the one I currently have a craving for.

Peanuts and raisins are not allowed. Peanuts due to their gas-producing potential, and the unfortunate and inconvenient texture they give to my #2, which leads to over-wiping and a chaffed bung (hrm). Raisins just aren't edible in my book.

skinny minnie
05-09-2008, 08:51
I kind of like to keep my ingredients in separate bags... they don't pick up the other flavors that way. But sometimes I'll do a mix:

almonds
dried cherries
apricots
honey wheat pretzel sticks - amazing
golden raisins

ToyYoda
05-11-2008, 23:01
pineapple
banana
mango
shredded coconut
very little bit of semi sweet morsels

???

Just came up with it after reading everyones mixes. maybe I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. probably possible to rid the mango, or use less just to be subtle w/ it. I imagine you would have to really like coconut and pineapple for this mix.

ToyYoda
05-23-2008, 20:11
poking around the kitchen i came up with something a little different..

sweetened shredded coconut
ghiradelli semi-sweet morsels
banana chips
roasted salted macadamia nuts

I wish I could find a good alternative to semi-sweet morsels besides M&M's. something that wont melt. otherwise the mix is realllllly good, a little sweet, a little salty but moist and crunchy.

.5 part coconut, .5 part chocolate, 1 part banana, 1 part macadamia. perfect. may even be able to do 2 parts banana if you want. I may try that next time.

budforester
05-23-2008, 21:05
I wish I could find a good alternative to semi-sweet morsels besides M&M's. something that wont melt.

I wish for that, too. Sometimes I just leave out the chocolate. Although I miss the chocolate flavor, it doesn't turn to GORP- sauce or GORP- bars.

How would carob chips hold up to warm temperatures? Anybody use carob?

ToyYoda
05-24-2008, 06:10
watch, too much carob will stop up the ol tract. :p

maybe a bit of carob powder sprinkled in there? otherwise, I think it would melt too.