PDA

View Full Version : How Much Planning?

bredler
02-17-2008, 20:34
Hey guys,

I have a two week trip planned for May starting just about two days north of Damascus and hiking south to hit trail days, then keep going. My question is this: How much planning do I need to do?

Should I figure out resupply points/water or is there enough stuff along that part of the trail to just go?

What's the situation with camping in the woods? (I am a hammock man myself)

Thanks in advance,
bred

rafe
02-17-2008, 20:43
Seriously, how can any other person advise you on how much to plan? :-?

Appalachian Tater
02-17-2008, 21:00
Use Baltimore Jack's "AT Re-supply" guide in the article section to plan where and how you want to resupply. http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content

You also need to have an idea about how to get home.

Do not leave your stuff unattended at "Trail Daze" as there are many thieves about.

That's all the planning you need to do. If you have problems with your equipment there are a couple of outfitters in Damascus.

Blissful
02-17-2008, 21:02
You'll be hiking in some nice areas. Esp you will likely hit the "bald" region (Humps and Roan) of NC/TN which are beautiful. Best bet is to look over the ALDHA guide (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)online from last year for towns and hostels you will likely hit along the way to give you some idea on resupply needs. And look over a map of the section for elevation profile for hiking days and water supplies. Plenty of wooded areas though to hang a hammock if you get tired. Enjoy it!

bredler
02-17-2008, 21:02
Seriously, how can any other person advise you on how much to plan? :-?

I just don't have access to my trail guides right now, otherwise I'd look at them and answer the question myself.

Basically I just need to know about food and water. I'll take a look at my companion when I get home.

P.S.
I have transport figured out and thanks for the tip about trail days.

rafe
02-17-2008, 21:06
I just don't have access to my trail guides right now, otherwise I'd look at them and answer the question myself.

You have an internet connection. Go to www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org/) and get the ALDHA guides (PDFs.) That was easy. :rolleyes:

bredler
02-17-2008, 21:56
http://www.what-a-world.com/whataworld/images/easy_button.jpg

Doh!

Rockhound
02-17-2008, 23:34
when i showed a seasoned hiker my itinerary last year (which shelter/hostel i would be at each night, how many miles i would hike each day, etc...) he took a good long look at it & then crumpled it up & threw it away. after i started my hike, i got it. as a great military leader once said, (i think it was Patton) "a plan is simply something you deviate from"

ChinMusic
02-17-2008, 23:43
when i showed a seasoned hiker my itinerary last year (which shelter/hostel i would be at each night, how many miles i would hike each day, etc...) he took a good long look at it & then crumpled it up & threw it away. after i started my hike, i got it. as a great military leader once said, (i think it was Patton) "a plan is simply something you deviate from"
I've never been much of a planner. I tend to live life in general with a rough draft. I agree with Patton.

Jim Adams
02-18-2008, 09:28
about 20 minutes!!!!

geek

Lyle
02-18-2008, 11:39
I always like to do a rough plan on where I anticipate stopping each night and where I will resupply. This is mostly so that I don't carry way too much food with me. I never actually follow this plan exactly, sometimes not even close. Once on the trail, you will know how much you are eating, how you are feeling, and alter your "plan" on a daily basis. I doubt you could get yourself into serious trouble food-wise on 95% of the AT. Might get a bit hungry, but that's not a disaster. Another advantage for some planning is that it gets you to look closely at the maps/handbooks so that you will notice any side trips you may want to take advantage of.

Regarding water, when you fill up, check where your next reasonably for-sure water source is, make sure you have enough to get there. No need to plan that out ahead.

Could probably get by with no planning, or just planning for your first resupply and accomplish the same. The other reason I plan my sections is to determine where to leave my car. I wouldn't want to underestimate my miles too much and waste valuable vacation time. Not meaning to imply that going slower than normal is wasting time, but I do eventually want to complete the entire trail. I don't hike all that fast, about average I guess, on a good day. :-)

Plan as much or as little as you are comfortable with. Either method is successful on the AT.