PDA

View Full Version : Easy Backpack in PA for family of 3?

Todd Heyn
02-17-2008, 21:33
I am looking for a weekend destination for myself, wife and 4 year old son. My wife and I are both avid lightweight backpackers and my son love to camp. We would like to get him on the trail this spring and summer. What would you suggest for a fairly easy weekend trip.

He does walk quite well but also gets tired at a moments notice. We do have a kid carrier backpack and I will probably load that with as much as I can. My wife will be have to carry the rest. This way I can carry our son when he is tired and does not want to walk anymore.

I am curious to see what others have done and where you would suggest we go.

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2008, 21:35
Can you hold out til LATE April?

Todd Heyn
02-17-2008, 22:08
We are probably looking at May at the earliest and most likely throughout the summer and into the fall.

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2008, 22:26
You will be stunned by this answer, and I will back up my reply, From experience taking children on trips, even backpacking should be as nearby as your backyard not a state away. I personnaly burned a campfire in my backyard and pitched a tent as a safety measure to build my child's confidence. I accidentaly discovered abandonment from sleep apnia at 2pm, but that is another story. Practice, practice and more practice, have them light the fire etc, pitch the tent. Then try The best campgrounds at French Creek State Park on Memorial day and bring the family pet if you want to... you would have to reserve now.
It is in Northern Chester County, and it is the best, a few dollars more and you have a swimming pool discount. Canoe, Camp and lots of trails for beginners and experienced.

Hope that helps

Any questions feel free to PM

Mark

gumball
02-17-2008, 22:32
If you are not limiting yourself to the AT and don't mind a trip to NW PA, we have a very nice 36 mile loop at Oil Creek State Park. What's especially nice about this, with a 4 year old in tow, is that there are two separate shelter areas within the loop, and each area has six shelters. The shelters are very nice, and I think are a few dollars per person staying there. They each have a fire place in the front of the shelter and there are pit toilets nearby. The BEST thing for folks with little people is that there are parking lots, one less than a mile from the shelter areas and one over a mile from the shelter areas, so you could make a nice little trip from your car, or you could hike from shelter area to shelter area. This is relatively easy hiking compared to the AT, and wood is provided (chopped) at each shelter area, as well as potable water.

Yes, its a poke from where you are, but really, one of the nicest places I know to do some laid back hiking, or a walk in from the car to the shelters if you just want to lay out for the evening amongst the stars.

Gum

Feral Bill
02-17-2008, 22:42
Gumball is on the right track. For a four year old, a mile or two is a grand expedition. With stops to investigate every rock and bug, you could easily spend half a day meandering in.

You might consider a token pack for the youngster as well. Snacks, a water bottle and a toy are plenty to make him feel like a big person.

Have a blast!

emerald
02-17-2008, 22:44
Camping at state parks where hiking opportunities also exist is a good way to introduce someone new to the backcountry. They may also be a better place for families and groups generally as such places are better equipped to satisfy their requirements.

emerald
02-17-2008, 22:53
Click on French Creek State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/frenchcreek.aspx) for information related to the facility mentioned above by Wise Old Owl.

ki0eh
02-17-2008, 23:19
I am thinking of taking our just turned 5yo to Hertlein Campsite sometime this spring. It's a fun little area with a little reservoir and a stream. She does NOT like flat dirt trails - she gets tired on those, but last year climbed the GET's Thousand Steps http://www.hike-sst.org/highlights.htm under her own power. I think she could have handled either the way in from PA 501 or from PA 183 last year - if there were other kids. It's shorter from PA 183 but the rocks that way haven't been sharpened lately to add interest for her ;) (Honestly, she'd probably rather climb the Showers Steps but the trail to them from 501 has been closed, so I hear.)

The real success in getting our little girl to hike seems to have other kids along. PM me if you think you might be interested in getting together.

Nearly Normal
02-18-2008, 03:49
After a trip or two take the child to a trail crossing and set up some simple magic, water and cokes. Maybe some fruit. If its a dry season everyone would love some water.
Sharing and meeting people hiking may tweak interest.

emerald
02-18-2008, 06:12
I am thinking of taking our just turned 5yo to Hertlein Campsite sometime this spring. It's a fun little area with a little reservoir and a stream.

The dam breast is sufficiently wide and tempting to cause some to venture onto it, but it's no place for young children. I believe you will understand my concern and hope others considering this hike will be aware of the potential for an unfortunate and preventable mishap.

Your daughter would no doubt enjoy exploring the boulder field just north of Hertlein Campsite. It was a favorite place of mine when I was younger. Taller trees now conceal part of the view from the top I remember.

Showers' Steps have deteriorated and slipped in places to the extent I don't consider them safe anymore. Hikers should not descend Round Head to obtain water. Rather they should obtain water at Pilger Ruh or Hertlein Campsite, the site of a shelter removed by the early 1970s.

shelterbuilder
02-18-2008, 08:34
The dam breast is sufficiently wide and tempting to cause some to venture onto it, but it's no place for young children. I believe you will understand my concern and hope others considering this hike will be aware of the potential for an unfortunate and preventable mishap.

You daughter would no doubt enjoy exploring the boulder field just north of Hertlein Campsite. It was a favorite place of mine when I was younger. Taller trees now conceal part of the view from the top I remember.

Showers' Steps have deteriorated and slipped in places to the extent I don't consider them safe anymore. Hikers should not descend Round Head to obtain water. Rather they should obtain water at Pilger Ruh or Hertlein Campsite, the site of a shelter removed by the early 1970s.

Also, with an eye toward the safety of younger children and older folks with heart trouble, the water contained behind the dam is EXTREMELY cold, even on the hottest of summer days, and quite deep. Some people go in swimming, but use caution if you do.:-?

ki0eh
02-18-2008, 08:58
Agreed, that's NOT the place to be if you're not constantly supervising. That c-o-l-d water helps reduce the temptation. :)

Toolshed
02-18-2008, 09:06
I, too, had thought of Hertlien, but also, there is Kirkridge - A nice easy trip in and you can do a dayhike out of there are well.

I have always been fond of the large flat charcoal spot on the L side of the AT, heading S out of Palmerton, just about 1/2 mile up above the lean-to as a base camp where the next day you could hike over to Devil's pulpit or do the blue route and hook back up with the AT for a circuit. Only problem is that you have to go down past the LT for water.

ki0eh
02-18-2008, 09:11
Didn't I hear that Devil's Pulpit fell off?

Panzer1
02-18-2008, 10:51
From the parking lot on PA 183 to the Eagles Nest shelter is 6 miles of easy trail. Level, hardly any rocks. Several sources of water along the way. The guide book describes it as a "pleasant" walk. Then hike back the same way to your car.

Panzer

ki0eh
02-18-2008, 10:54
My kid doesn't like EASY trail. She won't keep going on anything that meets Minnesota Smith's standards. :) I honestly have difficulty, even in PA, taking her on a hike that's rocky enough from the get-go to stop her whining and keep her moving.

I was going to take her on a day hike to Lehigh Gap, but I heard something at a meeting that it's to be closed for revegetation? What's up with that?

shelterbuilder
02-18-2008, 12:01
I am looking for a weekend destination for myself, wife and 4 year old son. My wife and I are both avid lightweight backpackers and my son love to camp. We would like to get him on the trail this spring and summer. What would you suggest for a fairly easy weekend trip.

He does walk quite well but also gets tired at a moments notice. We do have a kid carrier backpack and I will probably load that with as much as I can. My wife will be have to carry the rest. This way I can carry our son when he is tired and does not want to walk anymore.

I am curious to see what others have done and where you would suggest we go.

I don't know your son's capabilities, but an easy - although uphill - trek would be from the Game Commission parking lot at Shartlesville up the road to the ridgetop and west along the road til it crosses the AT, turn right for about 1/4 mile, hit the blue trail to the Eagle's Nest shelter. (Less than 3 miles in.) Toilet, water, picnic table, lookout. Next day, you'd have 3 options for return trip: back the same way; north on the AT to the first woods road crossing, turn right and straight down to the parking lot (some rocks, but normal for Pa.); or south on the AT to the Sand Spring Trail (VERY rocky at first, but later following branches of the Northkill Creek down to the parking lot). If your boy has the option of riding when tired, the three of you should be able to do any of the options.

emerald
02-18-2008, 15:37
My kid doesn't like EASY trail.

Take her to Hickory Run State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/StateParks/parks/hickoryrun.aspx).

ki0eh
02-18-2008, 15:44
Take her to Hickory Run State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/StateParks/parks/hickoryrun.aspx).

Good idea. She likes her bear bell. :D

GratefulHike
02-18-2008, 17:13
Since you are in jersey a nice trek i do with the kids is eckville parking lot (state game lands) to the pinnacle, I spend the night at the pinnacle and then hike out to the hamburg watershed the next morning. It is about a 12 mile through hike and to the pinnacle is all uphill with great views from the top. warning, water is not available at the pinnalce so hit up the stream on the way up. also due to problems with kids you can not park a vehicle at the hamburg watershed so you would need someone to pick you up.

Del Q
02-18-2008, 21:54
Caledonia State Park, easy North or South, nice shelters.

Blue Mountain Summit, hike South to the Pinnacle. North is fun to the Knife Edge, a bit hairy for kids.

Jason of the Woods
02-18-2008, 22:18
I say go to what ever trails that you enjoy and odds are that your child will enjoy it too. When they get tired just stop. It's important to keep it fun. We have a 5 year old who loves the woods and the trail. I would also say to make sure that you don't overload your little one. If they carry anything at all make it their jacket in a pack. My daughter has the child's Camelback(pink of course) and all that we allow her to carry is a few snacks or something light. Also play trail games, look for plants, animals, you get the point. Happy hiking!

Feral Bill
02-19-2008, 00:38
I hadn't noticed you were in New Jersey. How about Harriman State Park in NY? There are several shelters with short hikes in and interesting surroundings. Probably not too crowded mid week

amigo
02-19-2008, 10:37
Todd,

This is one of the rare times when I can say I have the perfect trail for you (except it might be farther than you want to drive for a weekend).

The Minister Creek Trail in the Allegheny National Forest in PA is a 6 or so mile loop trail through a very interesting small valley. It is gently rolling terrain, no steep or long climbs, you can bail out easily since it's a loop and you can just shortcut the loop, it has a beautiful spring near the head of the valley, just east of the primitive camping area in the head of the valley, and it has a great view from a cluster of rocks on the west side not far from the trailhead.

It tends to be very popular with newbies, for obvious reasons (it's easy and short!), so you won't be alone. However, contrary to what a lot of the newbies think, you do not have to camp at the two camping areas as dispersed camping is permitted.

Just google it and you will find more info and pics than you have time to look at.

My second recommendation, and it's much closer to you, is the Pine Grove Furnace State Park area. You can put together a short hike in that area with the existing trails (including the AT). Just plan to camp on Michaux State Forest land which surrounds the park, as I believe dispersed camping is prohibited in the park.

Good luck!

shelterbuilder
02-19-2008, 21:26
Since you are in jersey a nice trek i do with the kids is eckville parking lot (state game lands) to the pinnacle, I spend the night at the pinnacle and then hike out to the hamburg watershed the next morning. It is about a 12 mile through hike and to the pinnacle is all uphill with great views from the top. warning, water is not available at the pinnalce so hit up the stream on the way up. also due to problems with kids you can not park a vehicle at the hamburg watershed so you would need someone to pick you up.

I had a rather long off-site discussion about this post with someone else - the gist of the discussion was that: 1.) we are not certain that it is LEGAL to camp on the Pinnacle, since it may still be a part of the Hamburg Watershed property; and 2.) we are not certain that overnight parking has been prohibited by Hamburg in the watershed parking lot.

NPS has - to my best understanding - an easement for the footpath running through the Watershed property, but I have not heard that there has been an agreement between Hamburg and NPS regarding camping. Knowing how protective the Borough has been over the years with their watershed property, I find it difficult to believe that they would change their mind and allow an activity that could seriously jepardize the land on which they depend for their drinking water. Yes, folks camp up there, and have for years, but I'm not sure that it's legal.

To the best of my knowledge, you may park your vehicle overnight in the parking lot by the waterworks, PROVIDED you first contact the Hamburg Borough secretary and obtain permission. The parking lot IS patrolled at night, and unauthorized vehicles are ticketed. If this has changed, it is VERY recent.

Someone from ATC needs to weigh in on this - LaurieP, where are you?

Wise Old Owl
02-20-2008, 00:37
There is lots of awful signage around the Hamburg Watershed Property. (risk)

If you want to drive out and walk the one of the best Pa outlooks of the AT trail, and visit the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, Possibly Cabelas for kid freindly shopping.

You can stay at this campground and walk to the Pinicle from the campground. This campground has loads of tent sites high up in the woods and they will let you choose your site. It is inexspensive and rustic. I still recommend backyard and French Creek First. A second idea is a KOA near Delaware Water Gap.

http://www.bluerockscampground.com/