PDA

View Full Version : 1 Week to Inspire

mystic
02-18-2008, 11:13
I want to spark an interest in nature and outdoor activities in my nephew. He is a pretty typical suburban dwelling, 14 year old, computer game playing, fast food eating kid living in a Dallas suburb. His folks aren't the outdoors type.

Each year I take him on some week long adventure. This year it is going to be the AT. I'm coming from PA. He is in TX.

I'm thinking spring break in Shenandoah would provide some inspirational views and lots of bailout spots.

I want him to step off the trail safe, happy and wanting more.

What tips do you have for hiking with a 14 year old that has never backpacked or camped in the woods?

jlb2012
02-18-2008, 11:26
Shen is a bit of a problem - no campfires except at the huts - you may want to consider some place in the National Forest instead of National Park just so you can have some sit around the fire and talk time

Long Island Ice Tea
02-18-2008, 11:48
Shen is a bit of a problem - no campfires except at the huts - you may want to consider some place in the National Forest instead of National Park just so you can have some sit around the fire and talk time

Playing with Fire top of my list...

Rambo and survival techniques really got me into the outdoors...

mystic
02-18-2008, 12:06
Yep, I agree - fire is a must. Maybe Harper's Ferry south into VA?

mudhead
02-18-2008, 12:09
Fire. Running water. And the biggie.

College age females. That will stick with him.

rpenczek
02-18-2008, 12:59
Boys that age don't quite yet get the idea that "it is not the destination, its the journey."

Sometimes I motivate my Boy Scouts to hike with something cool at the end of the day (swimming hole, fishing hole, pizza, etc...). The other item that is working for this summer's hike in Grayson is white water rafting on the last day of our 7 day trip.