PDA

View Full Version : iPod/mp3 on the trail...

nick.macek
02-18-2008, 12:11
Do you take a music machine on the trail with you? If so what kind of music does it contain? Just curious what everyone listens to.

Me:

iPod Nano 2G 4GB ~ Weight w/ headphones and 1,000 songs = 2 oz.

Classic Rock ~ AC/DC, RUSH, The Who, Queen, Guns 'n' Roses, etc.
Flogging Molly ~ BEST BAND EVER
Dropkick Murphys
Other Punk Rock

So what about you???

--Nick--

Footslogger
02-18-2008, 12:14
I carry the Zen Nano (Creative). 1 Gig. Mixed stuff really. Everything from Blue Grass to R & B to Oldies. I have a wide range of music tastes.

'Slogger

hobojoe
02-18-2008, 12:18
I carry a guitar and a mp3 player. Old crow medicine show, The dead, Deftones, STP, Neutral Milk Hotel, Robert Johnson, Miles Davis, J-5, Janis Joplin more and more.

mystic
02-18-2008, 12:28
iPod Shuffle (http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/specs.html)

1GB
0.55 ounce

1/2 audio books (sci fi)
1/2 music (120 songs)

gold bond
02-18-2008, 14:03
I carry a Creative Zen...I forget which model but it has 4 gB. I have everything on there from...yes FLOGGING MOLLY, sound track from O'brother where art thou A/C D/C, Van Zant, Molly Hatchet, Led Zep, Black Crowes, etc....

I do not however listen to it while hiking for safety reasons. Plus I like listening to nature.....or just nothing at all!! I really only listen to it at night falling to sleep!

Footslogger
02-18-2008, 14:09
I do not however listen to it while hiking for safety reasons. Plus I like listening to nature.....or just nothing at all!! I really only listen to it at night falling to sleep!

==============================

Yeah, good point ...pretty much the same here. Rarely, if ever, listen to it during day while hiking.

'Slogger

gold bond
02-18-2008, 14:22
FS, I do not want to turn this thread in a negative way but, I do not like hiking with someone and try and get his/her attention and dang near have to hit them with a rock! I would hate to have to get their attention cause a bear was after them or some other emergency. I do like having my music!

Footslogger
02-18-2008, 14:31
FS, I do not want to turn this thread in a negative way but, I do not like hiking with someone and try and get his/her attention and dang near have to hit them with a rock! I would hate to have to get their attention cause a bear was after them or some other emergency. I do like having my music!
===========================

Right there with ya ...plus I kinda like to hear the "rattle" before I put my foot where it doesn't belong - especially in PA.

'Slogger

Hooch
02-18-2008, 14:34
I also carry a Zen Nano 1 gig with me. I don't listen to it while hiking, at all. I usually just use it to drown out the sound of Doc snoring. :eek::D Mine has all kinds of goodies, both mainstream and oddball; X, Living Colour, Ben Folds Five, Beastie Boys, DaVinci's Notebook, Southern Culture on the Skids, Black Flag, Body Count, Camille Saint-Saens, Rage Against the Machine, Jackson Browne, Steely Dan, Puddle of Mudd, Jimmy Buffett, James Taylor, etc. :D

Hooch
02-18-2008, 14:34
And Foo Fighters! Definitely don't forget Foo Fighters! :banana

Jason of the Woods
02-18-2008, 14:38
Love the Nano. Why can't you just use one earpiece? That's what I do. I get my fair share of nature noise as well...

riverroyer
02-18-2008, 15:05
HOw will you charge the darn thing?

Hooch
02-18-2008, 15:07
HOw will you charge the darn thing?You don't. It takes a single AAA battery. :D

Footslogger
02-18-2008, 15:09
You don't. It takes a single AAA battery. :D

===============================

...and that little AAA Lithium lasts, and lasts ...and lasts !!

'Slogger

optimator
02-18-2008, 15:30
===========================

Right there with ya ...plus I kinda like to hear the "rattle" before I put my foot where it doesn't belong - especially in PA.

'Slogger
Welcome to Oregon.............

take-a-knee
02-18-2008, 16:25
I read somewhere that Apple was coming out with a waterproof Nano. My cell phone (LG) is over five years old and the 2 button is starting to stick, so I guess it is new phone time. There are waterproof cell phones with cameras and built in MP3 players, with an extra battery that might be the way to go, I would never walk and listen, only at night so maybe with two batteries that might last for a while.

There was an MP3 thread awhile back and apparantly the ideal MP3 doesn't exist, IE AAA powered, FM tuner, H2O proof etc.

Hurley
02-18-2008, 16:27
Ipod 20gb. Have had really good luck with it. Just turn the backlight and clicker off. Listen to an album or two and then enjoy the rest of the day without it. Can usually go a week off one charge if I use it this way.

oops56
02-18-2008, 16:58
You hikers not old enough Cristal radio.:pOr a razor blade radio:)

GratefulHike
02-18-2008, 17:01
I use a Sansa 4gb, loaded with Dead, Hornsby, Moe, Bluegrass and odd collection of newer stuff. Love this thing, runs on 1 AAA battery and lasts at least 9 hours of play time, plus it was so cheap that if it got ruined I would not be upset.

So about hiking with music, I am guilty of doing it myself sometimes. Sorry..

wilconow
02-18-2008, 17:07
I've been hiking/running with a 30gb ipod and speck armband case for almost two years now.. some folks seem to think it's not good for the harddrive, but I haven't had any problems

For my music, just click the link below!

take-a-knee
02-18-2008, 17:50
Most of the MP3 players mentioned in this thread will fit in a Gerber breast milk storage bag, those things absolutely do not leak.

gumball
02-18-2008, 18:53
I have a 1 GB shuffle--only use it when I am absolutely having my butt whooped by a large mountain and need to get out of my head (which is usually saying, "go back down")... ;) And I only put the earbuds in if my hubby is directly in front of me, and only for a short period, long enough to shake my grumpiness. I have been surprised by rattles more than once, so my usage is infrequent, but I carry them anyway.

I couldn't sleep with them in at night--I am too paranoid.

Ramble~On
02-18-2008, 19:12
I have an iPod 80gb with video. I rarely hike with it on but at night it's nice to sit back and watch a movie or put on some music and let a photography slideshow run for a while.
Podcasts are cool and I have about 40 episodes of South Park on it.
My music tastes vary. I do enjoy music which is to say that I do not listen to rap:D
The iPod doesn't go on every trip out but it's nice to have the option.

Mikereisner
02-18-2008, 19:39
Not to be one of those who has to one up everyone but I use a 80 gig ipod with about 6000 songs on it. I also have lost season 4 and 5 audiobooks. I work by myself in construction and I use my Ipod all day every day, that is why I have 6000 songs. Now I only use the Ipod at the very end of the days hike when I am tired and trying to get to the next shelter or known camping area. I also will use the Ipod after everything is done and I am waiting to sleep. But most of the time I prefer quiet sounds of nature and a near by highway.

fonsie
02-18-2008, 19:51
I carry a Sansa 2 gig mp3 thats got about 300 songs and weighs 2 ounces...it uses a AAA bat and has a fm radio...I also carry a 80 gig Ipod with about 50 movies and my intire cd colection

nick.macek
02-18-2008, 22:13
to gold bond: flogging molly...great choice! I just saw them live and they were 1000x better than on any cd.
Also, I have an 80 GB too, but I leave it at home (weight and weather issues). I also only listen at camp when my mates are buggin' me.

--Nick--

vonfrick
02-18-2008, 22:36
a tiny Creative 1GB player that takes one AAA. same size goes in my headlamp. lasts about 15 hours or so on one battery and it's real nice to fall asleep to- that way i don't hear MYSELF snoring! RADIOHEAD.

Magic Man
02-18-2008, 23:31
Boo-Boo used the TrekStor i.Beat xtension. She had learned about it on the trail last year by another hiker by the name of Comet. Comet's wife said he had been really happy with his MP3 player. It seemed to work well for Boo-Boo too. She enjoyed the radio feature.

Here is the link:

http://www.trekstor.de/en/products/detail_mp3.php?pid=72 (http://www.trekstor.de/en/products/detail_mp3.php?pid=72)

It is available at Amazon.com (http://amazon.com/).

double d
02-18-2008, 23:58
Whats the basic price for a Nano 2 G/4 GB? thanks ahead of time. double d

Max Power
02-19-2008, 00:02
I use a nano at night.
Sufjan Stevens, Sun Kill Moon, and Devendra Banhart are a few of the artists I fall asleep to. Don't forget to set the timer so you don't waist battery.

nick.macek
02-19-2008, 00:22
dd: do you meen 2 generation 4gb or 2gb??? i have thhe 2G 4GB blue and i thnk you can eby one for around 75-100 $.

Sorry in advanse for typos. i am in bed typing on my PS3

88BlueGT
02-19-2008, 02:23
I have a 2G Creative MuVo M100 (or some letter 100). Total weight with ear phones comes in at 2oz. It also has voice recorded which is really nice to have.

One great thing that I like about it (not really for the trail but just in general) is that the actual player comes apart and if the usb also so theres no need ever for a usb cord or anything like that. Just pull the player from its surrounding case and plug it right into your computer. Really convenient and nice for the ones who have 184 USB cords laying around and dont know which goes to which device like myself.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=15441
Its available in 2GB also. It also has pretty good battery life.

Mr. Parkay
02-19-2008, 03:43
In the past I have always used a 20 gig Iriver, which is way too small. For my next hike I planning to get the 160 gig ipod... and fill it with audio books like the complete Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter series. Should be Awesome!

Del Q
02-19-2008, 06:36
Sansa 4GB...AAA battery, 850 or so songs, all kinds, shuffle the music so I never know what is coming next.

Helps bring up tough days and hard climbs.

gold bond
02-19-2008, 09:56
to gold bond: flogging molly...great choice! I just saw them live and they were 1000x better than on any cd.
Also, I have an 80 GB too, but I leave it at home (weight and weather issues). I also only listen at camp when my mates are buggin' me.

--Nick--

My 17 year old son introduced them to me. It was a change a of pace for sure but after listening to them for awhile I have really gotten into them.

Mrs Baggins
02-19-2008, 10:25
I carry two SanDisk MP3s. They take just one AA battery each. One is loaded with music (lots of things but mostly all 3 soundtracks from Lord of the Rings and every CD Enya has ever made :D) and the other is loaded with adventure books. I don't listen to the music all the time - just on the very steep "ups" because it distracts me from how miserable I am while dragging myself uphill and I seem to gain the summits faster. The books are good for night time listening in my tent.

Critterman
02-19-2008, 11:15
Sandisk 2gig - music from the 70's,80's, 90's, new age, country, rock, easy listening, and some current hits.

NorthCountryWoods
02-19-2008, 20:11
Just bought the wife an ipod nano and even tho it's for running, maybe she'll bring it on the trail and stop talking.

timcar86
02-20-2008, 21:13
I plan on taking mine but not to listen to. I have an iRiver Clix and it can record. I plan making an audio journal.

k-n
02-21-2008, 15:15
Do you take a music machine on the trail with you? If so what kind of music does it contain? Just curious what everyone listens to.

Me:

Dropkick Murphys
Other Punk Rock

So what about you???

--Nick--
how long does the nano last?

nick.macek
02-21-2008, 16:39
how long does the nano last?

Around 20 hours...I think iLounge.com did a test a while back and it lasted 20-24. Depends on volume, backlight, etc. The new one lasts 24 according to Apple's site.

BIG NEWS!!
Apple just lowered the price of the 1GB shuffle to $49 and a new 2GB shuffle is coming out for $69.
iPod Shuffle weight = 0.55 oz.

k-n
02-21-2008, 19:22

Me:

Dropkick Murphys
Other Punk Rock

So what about you???

--Nick--

Around 20 hours...I think iLounge.com did a test a while back and it lasted 20-24. Depends on volume, backlight, etc. The new one lasts 24 according to Apple's site.

BIG NEWS!!
Apple just lowered the price of the 1GB shuffle to $49 and a new 2GB shuffle is coming out for $69.
iPod Shuffle weight = 0.55 oz.
so you have to find somewhere to recharge it right?

spunky
02-21-2008, 19:37
Did you go to the Foo Fighters concert in Nashville in January? It was awesome!

And Foo Fighters! Definitely don't forget Foo Fighters! :banana

vonfrick
02-21-2008, 19:46
I have a 2G Creative MuVo M100 (or some letter 100). Total weight with ear phones comes in at 2oz. It also has voice recorded which is really nice to have.

One great thing that I like about it (not really for the trail but just in general) is that the actual player comes apart and if the usb also so theres no need ever for a usb cord or anything like that. Just pull the player from its surrounding case and plug it right into your computer. Really convenient and nice for the ones who have 184 USB cords laying around and dont know which goes to which device like myself.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=15441
Its available in 2GB also. It also has pretty good battery life.

to K-N, i have the same one as that listed above. one AAA goes 15-16 hours. nothing to plug in and i throw the used batteries in the mail home for recycling.