PDA

View Full Version : Favorite spot for a 7-9 day backpack?

Todd Heyn
02-18-2008, 14:16
I am looking for a great spot to take my wife on our next backpacking trek. We are avid lightweight backpacks and i have some frequent flyer miles that I can use. We live on the east coast and have hiked on the AT in NJ, VT and MA. We have also hiked some of the high peaks in the Adirondacks of NY.

I have been looking at the Bob Marshall Wilderness in MT but getting good info on the net is difficult.
We are looking for not a lot of traffic and some great views. Peak bagging is not necessary but we can do it if necessary.

What are your thoughts?

Kerosene
02-18-2008, 15:56
After I finish the AT in 2013 I'm planning to hike the John Muir Trail (http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/muir/over.asp) (CA, 222 miles), the Cohos Trail (http://www.cohostrail.org/) (NH, 162 miles), the Wonderland Trail (http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/wa/won_mrnp.htm) (WA, 95 miles), and the Tahoe Rim Trail (http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/) (CA/NV, 165 miles), among others.

Earl Grey
02-18-2008, 19:16
Check out the Art Loeb trail in NC. Maybe hike from there to Mount Mitchell on the MST.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-18-2008, 19:27
I am looking for a great spot to take my wife on our next backpacking trek. We are avid lightweight backpacks and i have some frequent flyer miles that I can use. We live on the east coast and have hiked on the AT in NJ, VT and MA. We have also hiked some of the high peaks in the Adirondacks of NY.

I have been looking at the Bob Marshall Wilderness in MT but getting good info on the net is difficult.
We are looking for not a lot of traffic and some great views. Peak bagging is not necessary but we can do it if necessary.

What are your thoughts?
The most breathtaking views are on the Torres del Paine Circuit in Chilean Patagonia. Naturally you'll need more than a few FF miles. November, January and February are good summer months, the place is packed in December when the whole country is on vacation.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1173/1469663589_65cef17407.jpg?v=0

Ramble~On
02-18-2008, 19:35
:-? Methinks Nick is on to something there!
--somehow doesn't look crowded.

Feral Bill
02-18-2008, 19:41
Canadian Rockies (beautiful, lots of rules)
Wallowa Mtns in Oregon (beautiful, no nearby air service, horsey)
Glacier NP (beautiful, lots of rules)
PCT in Oregon or Washington (some public transport access)

dessertrat
02-18-2008, 20:33
Abol Bridge to Monson.

Spirit Walker
02-19-2008, 00:01
The Sierras (if you don't mind carrying a bear canister) are great. The JMT is a gorgeous trail and can be done in shorter segments. If you don't want to carry a bear canister, the PCT in northern California in the Marble Mtns/ Russian Wilderness area (Section P) or the PCT in the Sisters Wilderness are really good hikes.

The Wind River Range in Wyoming has hundreds of miles of alpine hiking. So does the Absaroka-Beartooths along the Montana-Wyoming border. Both are worth some serious exploration.

The Bob is beautiful, but was extensively burned last year. Wait until you find out how badly damaged it is before you go.

Glacier is gorgeous and should definitely be on your list - but it is a NP so reservations are required. That said, everywhere in Glacier is worth visiting, so any hike is a good one.

There is a lot of good hiking in Yellowstone as well. We hiked the northern and northwestern area on our second CDT hike. Few people but incredible scenary. We hope to hike the Bechler in the next year or two.

The San Juan Mountains in southern Colorado are also a terrific destination if you are comfortable with map reading/navigation.

The Canadian Rockies have some incredible scenary - many snowfields and glaciers, turquoise lakes, waterfalls everywhere -- but as was said earlier, you need reservations in their National Parks and it gets a bit expensive if you're out for more than a few days.

Finally, If you are really confident in your navigation skills and enjoy off trail hiking - go to Alaska. Gorgeous country. A totally different kind of hiking. Wildlife galore.

warraghiyagey
02-19-2008, 00:34
100 mile wilderness in Maine - or as Desertrat put it - Abol Bridge to Monson. Definitely doable in 9 days or less especially if you're into backpacking. You'll love it!!!:)
When you get to Monson Dawn at Shaw's is a great hostess/human and could likely facilitate you with some travel matters as well.

ScottP
02-19-2008, 01:18
I hate you. Now, patagonia is calling. I already had enough F**'n places on my 'I'll hike this next, and THEN I'll start real life" list.

AT, PCT, CDT, Via Alpina, Alaska, Patagonia

The most breathtaking views are on the Torres del Paine Circuit in Chilean Patagonia. Naturally you'll need more than a few FF miles. November, January and February are good summer months, the place is packed in December when the whole country is on vacation.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1173/1469663589_65cef17407.jpg?v=0

ScottP
02-19-2008, 01:19
Every year I seem to add two more hikes to my list...oh well. real life? Pshaw!

dessertrat
02-19-2008, 01:20
None of us will ever hike all the places we want to hike. But I do have to say that the Colorado trail, the JMT, Patagonia, and Wind River are high on my list.

dirtnap
02-22-2008, 11:33
Starts (northbound) 11 miles east of Sylacauga, AL, and is about 140 miles long. Heflin, AL, is said to be a convenient resupply point near half way, but I've always done the trail in one shot. Northern terminus is about 6 miles from Piedmont, AL, not far from Cave Springs, GA.

Gray Blazer
02-22-2008, 11:49
Another vote for Wind River. My favorite range in the continental US.

MOWGLI
02-22-2008, 11:51
Apalachicola National Forest and the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge along the Florida Trail. Best done in winter. It's an amazing hike! Tons of wildlife!

Flying Eagle
02-28-2008, 14:09
Check out the BSFNRA for good hiking along the Sheltowee Trace and Kentucky Trail to name only two that criss cross the area. You can design your own hike with numerous trailheads, get off points, and trail junctions. Arches, waterfalls, cliffs, rapids, historic places to visit, lots of good camping places along streams and the Cumberland River, mild weather most of the year, and best of all uncrowded. the only downside I'm aware of is the presence of ticks in the warm months. Have hike there twice with family and have a five day 70 mile trip planned with my sons in May.

Flying Eagle