PDA

View Full Version : New Member

TRIP08
02-18-2008, 15:33
Hi!

I live in slightly-north GA, and I've done a fairly decent amount of dayhikes and weekend hikes in the mountains. Several years ago, I was touring some historical cities in VA and met a group of thru-hikers. I have finally decided to begin the thru-hike from Georgia to Maine at the beginning of next year. I'm going to go on several smaller hikes -- this year -- with other groups to get ready for the big hike next year.

I don't want to hike by myself for the thru-hike, being a girl and, more importantly, not old enough to carry a handgun. No one I know wants to do the full hike. Are there any other girls on here that are planning to do the thru-hike next year?

Thanks!

Appalachian Tater
02-18-2008, 15:39
If you do a spring northbound thru-hike and start mid-March to early April, you will be constantly surrounded by people and will naturally fall in with compatible hikers of either or both sexes. The danger of planning to hike with someone is that the odds are you are not compatible with them as a hiker.

There are forums here specific to female-issues, "hooking up" (for hiking partners), and one for 2009 thru-hikers. The latter might be the best place to see who else is planning a 2009 thru-hike.

jzakhar
02-18-2008, 15:39
Hi!

I live in slightly-north GA, and I've done a fairly decent amount of dayhikes and weekend hikes in the mountains. Several years ago, I was touring some historical cities in VA and met a group of thru-hikers. I have finally decided to begin the thru-hike from Georgia to Maine at the beginning of next year. I'm going to go on several smaller hikes -- this year -- with other groups to get ready for the big hike next year.

I don't want to hike by myself for the thru-hike, being a girl and, more importantly, not old enough to carry a handgun. No one I know wants to do the full hike. Are there any other girls on here that are planning to do the thru-hike next year?

Thanks!

Welcome to whiteblaze!

Most people will advise you to not bring a handgun. I would agree with them unless you have a great deal of firearm experience. If you do, just don't tell anyone you have it. Keep it to yourself.

As far as partners, you will end up meeting plenty of nice good people out there to hike along with. I thought about bringing a friend as well, but you have a better chance of meeting someone out there that you can pace nicely with vs an existing friend.

Tinker
02-18-2008, 15:43
Welcome!

I agree with the above posts. Hikers take care of each other. Early on in your hike, you may have trouble figuring out who's trustworthy. Keep your guard up. It may not be a bad idea to have a friend start with you even if she/he doesn't intend to go all the way to Maine, at least that way, you'll get a chance to figure out who's who while in the company of a known and trusted friend.

Montego
02-18-2008, 15:50
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Sallie8998 :welcome

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-18-2008, 17:22
Welcome to WhiteBlaze. You will find others here who are planning to hike next year. You will be fine on the trail. It is well populated and people take care of each other out there.

Heater
02-18-2008, 17:46
Hi!

Thanks!

Check this link:

2008 thru hikers. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2008thruhikers)

You can PM some of the members on that list if you want.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-19-2008, 06:59
While there is no 2009 forum here yet, one of the other forums has one (http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96). Not sure if there are women in that one or not.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2008, 08:10
The way one often is out west, or bushwacking anywhere.

I would suggest you consider carrying bear spray, though. There are many areas on the AT where loose dogs inclined to bite hikers are not rare, once winter is over (few trouble-maker dogs out in snow conditions, or in NH/ME).