PDA

View Full Version : death by clam

mweinstone
02-18-2008, 15:44
what do you do to prevent clammyness of feet and body when sleeping or restig during active backpacking? i take off my linner sox and underware to sleep . in cars on shuttles my feet sweat bad. why?

Appalachian Tater
02-18-2008, 15:48
If they didn't sweat, they wouldn't stink.

Tinker
02-18-2008, 15:50
Nervous about the driver?????????? :p

joec
02-18-2008, 15:56
I was watching Oprah one day and she had a Doc on that was explaining common everyday problems and solutions. On sweating feet, he said to soak your feet in fresh brewed tea and that would dry out your feet and help solve this problem. I do not remember how many times or how long he said to soak them.

Tinker
02-18-2008, 16:48
Here's an answer I got a while ago.

Apply antiperspirant to your feet to keep them dry.

Seems to make sense. I won't do it as I found out that I have an adverse reaction to most antiperspirants and deodorants (I use Tom's of Maine as a deodorant to avoid the reaction).

hopefulhiker
02-18-2008, 16:51
YOUR feet radiate more heat than other parts of the body...

kayak karl
02-18-2008, 16:56
i soak in ebson salt at home, put corn starch or baking soda in socks when hiking. it helps. You might also wash your feet with antibacterial soap in extreme cases:D

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 17:03
Here's an answer I got a while ago.

Apply antiperspirant to your feet to keep them dry.

Seems to make sense. I won't do it as I found out that I have an adverse reaction to most antiperspirants and deodorants (I use Tom's of Maine as a deodorant to avoid the reaction).

Sweating is nature's coolant. Unfortunately it makes you smell like nature's armpit or feet, as it were. I often wonder, does antiperspirant actually stop you from sweating or does it just force the sweat out different pores? And what happens to the sweat if it stays inside you? Do you heat up, blow up, what?

hopefulhiker
02-18-2008, 17:32
Sometimes I would stop and take my shoes off for a few minutes while hiking.. No one stopped to talk very long...

Gaiter
02-18-2008, 17:59
Sometimes I would stop and take my shoes off for a few minutes while hiking.. No one stopped to talk very long...

a valuable technique when going through a tourist spot on a weekend. standing upwind stretching your arms is also quite affective too, (yes i know be friendly, set a good example to all curious people you meet, but when it takes 2hrs to do a mile because you are being stopped soo much: 'you have a dog', 'did you know your dog has a backpack?', 'you are hiking for more than a weekend?', etc)

back to the subject, i like to sprinkle a little gold bond in my shoes sometimes

notorius tic
02-18-2008, 18:08
Chek out my feet on Chicoltes site? Bad feet wow they were tore up from the floor up..

Pauline Houle
02-18-2008, 21:47
what do you do to prevent clammyness of feet and body when sleeping or restig during active backpacking? i take off my linner sox and underware to sleep . in cars on shuttles my feet sweat bad. why?
Are your feet just wet or is there an odor. I found I got rid of odor by using just liguid soap. Bar soap makes for bad odor.

Hoop
02-18-2008, 23:01
The chems in antipespirants basically plug up the sweat glands where applied.

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 23:02
The chems in antipespirants basically plug up the sweat glands where applied.

Yes, but what happens to the sweat? Doesn't sound healthy.

mweinstone
02-18-2008, 23:53
my feet smell sweet. they dont stink ever. stink is from bad diet. i belive sweaty feet is nervs or poor conditioning or too much footwear and sox maby. air circulation? i use ragg wool sox . and liners. the liners get cold and clammy when you take breaks sometimes and allways at the end of the day.