PDA

View Full Version : snoring....

GratefulHike
02-18-2008, 17:35
I am aware of the fact that I snore, but I sleep through it no problem. Here is my question. I am slated with reservations to the smokies in mid march. This topic comes up in every shelter converstation. What am I supposed to do, the smokies rules want me to shelter, but the people who share the shelter with me may not be as happy. Ahhh the snoring, i don't even notice it just every person withing 25 yards of me mentions it.

hopefulhiker
02-18-2008, 17:38
Pass out ear plugs at the shelter!

Lone Wolf
02-18-2008, 17:38
everybody should carry earplugs. if people make a choice to stay in a shelter then they have to put up with all the snoring, noise, late-comers, early risers, etc.

sheepdog
02-18-2008, 17:39
Yep, buy the little foam ones. I handed a pair to my hiking buddy. He said what are these for. I said, you'll figure it out.

ed bell
02-18-2008, 17:40
Pass out ear plugs at the shelter!Good suggestion. I have the same problem, but it is what it is. I have trained myself to sleep on my stomach, which seems to help.

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 17:42

AT-HITMAN2005
02-18-2008, 17:43
just don't forget to collect them in the morning for use at the next shelter!:eek:

hobojoe
02-18-2008, 17:52
everybody should carry earplugs. if people make a choice to stay in a shelter then they have to put up with all the snoring, noise, late-comers, early risers, etc.
Yeah, don't worry about it. If they don't like it TENT! (Or just hike untill they are too tired to care)

Old Hillwalker
02-18-2008, 17:55
Seem to recall a hiker who snored so loudly that his trail name was "Jake Brake"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-18-2008, 18:03
Pass out lightweight, disposable earplugs (http://www.glimpse.com/qq-disposable-foam-ear-plugs)

Lone Wolf
02-18-2008, 18:04
why should the snorer pass them out?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-18-2008, 18:07
why should the snorer pass them out?Because he is concerned about his snoring bothering others. It is for his peace of mind.

Appalachian Tater
02-18-2008, 18:08
I got these for $25.00 on a Friday sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I92YA

Each pair comes in its own little box.

Turd Burner
02-18-2008, 18:12
I have had the honor of sharing a shelter with Grateful Hike. I suggest passing out some whiskey with those ear plugs.

Cherokee Bill
02-18-2008, 19:19
:-? See a dentist: He or she can fit you with an oral appliance (much like boxers use) fitted to your mouth. It keeps the jaw from falling backward and causing you to snore. I should know, I used one for years, till my snoring got so bad the appliance did no good. I and you have Sleep Apnea. I now use a CPAP, but can't carry it backpacking, so I tent out. :D

NICKTHEGREEK
02-18-2008, 19:31
Try some breathe right strips

fonsie
02-18-2008, 19:37
well Im a load snorer and I talk in my sleep but If I get to a shelter and no one is there I will stay in it. I been in a shelter with others that snore loader than me but thats just the fact of life. If you have reservations and the rangers told you to stay in the shelters then stay in the shelters. dont worry about it to much.

Dholmblad
02-18-2008, 19:45

Wrong.. People who are well aware that they snore(you know who you are) should be kind enough to stay away from the shelters. And when you need to stay in them, carry at least a few pairs of earplugs with you. I know neither of these will happen especially while people are on thru, but oh well. I hate people who snore, I know you cant do anything about it but I can not sleep if you snore.:mad::)

I cant say anything about latecomers being noisey, because while I was thru-hiking I would consistently show up to shelters after 10pm, but I was always quiet soo..

Lone Wolf
02-18-2008, 19:49
Wrong.. People who are well aware that they snore(you know who you are) should be kind enough to stay away from the shelters. And when you need to stay in them, carry at least a few pairs of earplugs with you. I know neither of these will happen especially while people are on thru, but oh well. I hate people who snore, I know you cant do anything about it but I can not sleep if you snore.:mad::)

I cant say anything about latecomers being noisey, because while I was thru-hiking I would consistently show up to shelters after 10pm, but I was always quiet soo..

wrong. shelters are first come, first served. in the smokys section hikers are required to stay in shelters. for those stupid enuf to stay in shelters well, you gotta deal with it

whitefoot_hp
02-18-2008, 19:52

i have some advice for you, mr please conform to my every prissy little need: if there are special circumstances required for YOU to sleep, then YOU must facilitate those circumstances, it is not the responsibility of OTHERS. in other words, if you dont like snoring, then stay away from snorers.

whitefoot_hp
02-18-2008, 19:54
Because he is concerned about his snoring bothering others. It is for his peace of mind.

what if someone is bothered by the presence of people? is it everyone else's responsibility to avoid the trail, while that person hikes?

Hooch
02-18-2008, 19:57

I bet you want people to go ahead of you and rake all the leaves off the trail so you don't have to step on them, too. Give me a break! Ever heard of personal responsibility? If you can't sleep with noise around you, be it snoring or whatnot, then it's your responsibility to accodate said need, not for others to do for you. Anything else we can do to make things cushier for you princess? :D

mudhead
02-18-2008, 19:58
I find it hard to imagine, that if he took a tent, and set it up late, and them explained to the ranger in a nice manner, that all would not be ok.

Can I be more naive?

Lone Wolf
02-18-2008, 20:00
rangers don't hike. they drive cars. you won't see one on the trail

Grampie
02-18-2008, 20:08
I snore so most of the time I'll tent. I will sleep in a shelter if the weather is bad. I don't like to pack a wet tent. I will tell the others in the shelter that I snore. They have the option to do as they please.

shelterbuilder
02-18-2008, 20:13
I, too, have had the honor of sharing a shelter with Grateful Hike, and I'd like to throw my $0.02's worth in here:

1.) shelters are first come, first serve - and are mandatory in that part of the trail;

2.) if you're tired enough, you'll sleep through the snoring;

3.) earplugs wouldn't be a bad idea if he's concerned about his fellow shelter-sharers;

4.) in any case, Brad, it didn't bother me, so I say - GO FOR IT!:)

dessertrat
02-18-2008, 20:17
I have had the honor of sharing a shelter with Grateful Hike. I suggest passing out some whiskey with those ear plugs.

I love your trail name, Turd Burner. Great first post!

Terry7
02-18-2008, 20:25
I understand about the Smokys but I go out on the trail to live for 6 months and get away from people and the noise and all the other stuff. I always carry a tent and stealth camp when need be. This shelter stuff is like having 10 new roomates every night, no thanks.

Terry7
02-18-2008, 20:26
O ya I forgot the Breath Right Stips work, try them some time.

ed bell
02-18-2008, 20:27
I snore so most of the time I'll tent. I will sleep in a shelter if the weather is bad. I don't like to pack a wet tent. I will tell the others in the shelter that I snore. They have the option to do as they please.Sounds reasonable to me.:sun

minnesotasmith
02-18-2008, 20:33
I figure that if I have trouble sleeping due to someone snoring, I didn't hike enough miles that day.

Red Hat
02-18-2008, 20:39
Seem to recall a hiker who snored so loudly that his trail name was "Jake Brake"

I thought that was his name because he was a truck driver. They always tented, so I was unaware of his snoring. Or maybe I was snoring too bad myself to hear...

GratefulHike
02-18-2008, 20:48
Shelter builder I am on the same page as you, you didn't hike hard enough if you can't sleep through it, but this is the kinder gentler trail now, so I might see if I can't get some foam earbuds to hand out. people could have a all out rave around me, once i am down for the count i am out. a bear could come snuggle with me and I would probably just wrap my arms around it, so another warning if you get stuck at a shelter with me don't get tooooo close.

turd burner, you didn't really use that handle did you???? seriously?? welcome to the jungle of white blaze..

minnesotasmith
02-18-2008, 20:49
Was someone named Compost. I never shared a shelter with him, though I did meet him (older, nice guy). Supposedly sounded like an amplified cross between a cat being strangled and someone violently retching...:eek:;)

AT-HITMAN2005
02-18-2008, 21:10
seems like every year there is a Chainsaw on the trail.

vonfrick
02-18-2008, 23:47
hey, maybe loud snoring scares the mice away?

Tin Man
02-18-2008, 23:51

Um, it doesn't. Trust me. :o

Jim Adams
02-18-2008, 23:54

no...it doesn't!!!!:D

geek

88BlueGT
02-19-2008, 02:08
In no way do I feel that its your responsibility to pass out earplugs BUT it certainly is a nice thing to do :) There are certain ways to try and reduce snoring but sometimes they are just not useful. Pack a few pair and ask, if people really have a problem with it either tell them to go somewhere else because your not going anywhere, or you can charge them for a set of earplugs. Mind as well make some $$$$ along the way too :)

By the way, I always pack a pair on foam ear plugs in my medical kit just in case I choose to stay at a shelter (which I usually dont).

Rockhound
02-19-2008, 05:36
do a Squeaky and just knock the smokies out in a day.

Rockhound
02-19-2008, 05:49
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. theres a saying "If you can't sleep, you haven't hiked far enough". but its great that you're trying to be considerate. There was a hiker last year that thought it was just so hilarious how he kept everyone awake with his snoring.I wont name names BUT CHanging sleeping patterns is tough. it seems ive all BUT CHanneled help from spirits, BUT CHange never came.

Thoughtful Owl
02-19-2008, 09:23
just don't forget to collect them in the morning for use at the next shelter!:eek:

Are you going to re-issue these used ear plugs? LOL No thank you, I will keep my own!