PDA

View Full Version : AT Section VA620-Dragons Tooth,McAfee,Tinkers,Daleville

drherb
02-18-2008, 19:06
I've gotten great information on the hike from VA620 back to Daleville(220). Here where I am now since I understand it's a 13 mile hike in to the first shelter and not good tent camping until we're 7-8 miles in. We've hiked Thunderhead and other trails in the Smokies (6,000ft+ el) but we always go cautiously with new sections. Tell me what you think? herb

1st day/1st night - Start Hike at VA 620 to a Tent Campsite ~8.0 miles
2nd day/2nd night - Tent Campsite to Catawba Mt. Shelter or Boy Scout Shelter, VA 6.0-7.0 miles
3rd day/3rd night - Campbell Shelter, VA to Lamberts Meadow Shelter, VA is 6.0 miles.
4th day/4th night - Lamberts Meadow Shelter, VA to Daleville VA (VA 220) Econolodge 9.4 miles

Hikerhead
02-18-2008, 20:08
1) Get a map
2) Start off with enough water to get you over Dragons Tooth and to the next rd crossing--Rt # ? Newport Rd.
It dry all the way across. There's campsites along the ridge to Dragons Tooth but no water. Pickel Branch Shelter is only 1 mile in but 1/2 mile or so off the trail.
3) After Newport Rd you climb for about 1/2 mile, on the other side of this ridge at the bottom is a nice camp site and spring. This should be your first night campsite if you get started early enough. This is your first water source after Pickel Branch.
4) Fill up with water again here before starting off-next good water will be at Catawba Shelter-Don't stay at the John Springs Shelter which was the Boyscout Shelter-too close to the rd and no water unless it's been raining.
5)Fill up again with water to get you over McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs to make it to Lamberts Meadow Shelter-Camp below the shelter in the meadow.
6) Fill up with water again here to get you to Daleville. No water on the ridgeline. There's a nice relo going into Angels Gap that takes away a good climb and what would have been your worst descent.
7) Bring lots of film or batteries for your digital. Lots of good views.

Almost There
02-18-2008, 21:23
Buy the maps! I'm doing Sinking Creek/Va42 to Daleville the 2nd week of April. Once you have the maps, as stated by Hikerhead make sure you have enough water. My plan is to park at the Econolodge and get a shuttle to where I am starting. Give Del a call his number is in most of the thru-hike books and he has shuttled for some time in this area.

Pedaling Fool
02-18-2008, 22:21
I would perfer to do a southbound trip through that area, because of the nasty descent after Dragon's Tooth for NOBOs. Assuming my memory serves me correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Lilred
02-18-2008, 22:27
drherb,
I'm starting my section hike at the same place. When are you leaving?

rafe
02-18-2008, 22:29
The ridge over Sinking Creek Mtn. can be hot and dry. The trail is overgrown and not well maintained. Some nice views, though. There may be water at Sarver Hollow shelter, but the spring is a good 10-15 minutes downhill off the ridge. Anyway, that was the scene September '07.

Hikerhead
02-18-2008, 22:39
The ridge over Sinking Creek Mtn. can be hot and dry. The trail is overgrown and not well maintained. Some nice views, though. There may be water at Sarver Hollow shelter, but the spring is a good 10-15 minutes downhill off the ridge. Anyway, that was the scene September '07.

He's starting at Trout Creek and heading north to Daleville, 15 miles or so farther north of Rt 42. He's not going over Sinking Creek Mtn.

fredmugs
02-18-2008, 22:48
I don't know if this is relevant or not but I have been doing southbound section and will pick up again this year at the James River. If anybody is planning to start or finish there I am willing to help with shuttling. April - May timeframe would be good.

Darwin again
02-18-2008, 22:51
Great views/photographs on that section, but plan the water carefully. Dry ridge walks.

Hikerhead
02-18-2008, 22:52
I failed to mention that OUTDOOR TRAILS is just 1/4 mile down rt 220 from the hotel in the Krogers shopping center. You can get a map there or any last minute items. They open at 10 AM.
Buy a map and play fetch with Mark's dog.

Thoughtful Owl
02-19-2008, 09:45
1) Get a map
2) Start off with enough water to get you over Dragons Tooth and to the next rd crossing--Rt # ? Newport Rd.
It dry all the way across. There's campsites along the ridge to Dragons Tooth but no water. Pickel Branch Shelter is only 1 mile in but 1/2 mile or so off the trail.
3) After Newport Rd you climb for about 1/2 mile, on the other side of this ridge at the bottom is a nice camp site and spring. This should be your first night campsite if you get started early enough. This is your first water source after Pickel Branch.
4) Fill up with water again here before starting off-next good water will be at Catawba Shelter-Don't stay at the John Springs Shelter which was the Boyscout Shelter-too close to the rd and no water unless it's been raining.
5)Fill up again with water to get you over McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs to make it to Lamberts Meadow Shelter-Camp below the shelter in the meadow.
6) Fill up with water again here to get you to Daleville. No water on the ridgeline. There's a nice relo going into Angels Gap that takes away a good climb and what would have been your worst descent.
7) Bring lots of film or batteries for your digital. Lots of good views.

I 2nd Hikerheads suggestion here. I have done this section many times with scouts and you really must plan ahead for water. And like he also stated, "Bring lots of film or batteries for your digital. Lots of good views."

TO

Blissful
02-19-2008, 11:05
Looks good. Have a great time and enjoy it. Very scenic area.

ASUGrad
02-19-2008, 11:20
We are getting lots of rain/snow so the springs should be running. The creeks are doing well. There have been fires in that area so be careful.

BigCat
02-19-2008, 14:45
I would perfer to do a southbound trip through that area, because of the nasty descent after Dragon's Tooth for NOBOs. Assuming my memory serves me correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, you're right! I snapped a hiking pole on the descent and almost died last summer.

drherb
02-19-2008, 18:26
Guys and Gals,

This is great stuff. I'll keep listening. Thanks. herb

rafe
02-19-2008, 20:19
The north "slope" of Dragon's Tooth is a trip. It's one of the few places that I've had to fold up my poles and use my hands. Poles are useless there. Face into the rock and ease yourself down...

Hikerhead
02-19-2008, 21:14
I got to hike almost all of this section with J5MAN the last two Saturday's. It was awesome with the spring like temps we've had.

Here's some pics if you want to see. Some show the fire that's been burning in the Carvins Cove area which is now out. I haven't had time to caption them yet.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562536128Ixvoep

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 22:27
H2O almost always scarce through this stretch every time I've done it

Dogwood
02-19-2008, 22:46
Great 30 mile or so scenic section!!! Enjoy!!!

Dogwood
02-19-2008, 22:54
Forgot to add, be prepared for civilization to hit U smack in the face as U leave the AT going into Daleville! Kinda reminds me off a huge truck stop with barbed wire surrounding it. HINT: as u go under/around that large leaning rock near the end of the hike(don't recall the name of it at the moment, but U will know what I'm talking about when u get there) climb the back side of it for fantastic views that overlook the reservoir! But, be careful on the climb!

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2008, 23:04
Agreed, Do what dogwood said!

rafe
02-19-2008, 23:26
Umpteen years ago, Daleville/Cloverdale was already known as "Land of Neon." Least, that's how it was refered to in the Philosopher's Guide.

Press
02-20-2008, 03:23
Dragon's Tooth: got confused coming down northside and got off trail and ended up following power line to road. Daleville: the north side of that is the ugliest part of trail around here, in my opinion. a mile or two of walking under and alongside highways and through trashy lowlands.

rafe
02-20-2008, 09:16
Dragon's Tooth: got confused coming down northside and got off trail and ended up following power line to road. Daleville: the north side of that is the ugliest part of trail around here, in my opinion. a mile or two of walking under and alongside highways and through trashy lowlands.

Funny. While I was walking (sobo) along that stretch, there was some rock and roll band practicing in some house just off the trail. You could hear the bass notes for half a mile in either direction... mixed in with the noises of the traffic on the highway. Some wilderness! Even so, I was happy -- psyched about a shower, a meal, and clean bed, my last town stop of a long hike.